FAMU in FLORIDA/Florida A&M (merged threads)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeapharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied or been accepted into Florida A&M I was wondering of their qiuality of program.The website doesnt leave much detail

Members don't see this ad.

wannabeapharm said:
Has anyone applied or been accepted into Florida A&M I was wondering of their qiuality of program.The website doesnt leave much detail

If you phone the school, they will send you an information packet with details of their program. They don't require the PCAT and their average GPA is never listed, probably because they are a 6 year program and take kids right out of high school.

They have recently made some changes in their program. I was talking with a couple of FAMU students 2 weeks ago. They now have organic chemists teaching med chem, but they still don't have to learn any drug structures or draw mechanisms. Their program mainly stresses learning about medications by using primary literature.

dgroulx said:
If you phone the school, they will send you an information packet with details of their program. They don't require the PCAT and their average GPA is never listed, probably because they are a 6 year program and take kids right out of high school.

They have recently made some changes in their program. I was talking with a couple of FAMU students 2 weeks ago. They now have organic chemists teaching med chem, but they still don't have to learn any drug structures or draw mechanisms. Their program mainly stresses learning about medications by using primary literature.

So you think FAMU is a good school or not? BTW what school do you go to? going to an out of state shcool is expensive and I dunno if I should do that or not? only 3 schools in GA and 2 of them are private..so did the students you talked to at FAMU like it or not?

Not much info was on the website

Members don't see this ad :)
wannabeapharm said:
So you think FAMU is a good school or not? BTW what school do you go to? going to an out of state shcool is expensive and I dunno if I should do that or not? only 3 schools in GA and 2 of them are private..so did the students you talked to at FAMU like it or not?

Not much info was on the website

FAMU is a state school. I don't know how many out of state students they accept. I go to UF - St Petersburg campus. There is one girl in my class who attended UGA and got accepted at UF. There are 70 in my class and she's the only out of state student.

The students I talked to at FAMU really liked their school. It's not considered a prestigious school, but unless you're trying to get a residency afterwards, that doesn't really matter. Give them a call. They'll be happy to answer questions over the phone.

Just a little info about FAMU and a prestigious school. I work at MAYO Pharmacy in Jacksonville Fl. We just recieved info about the new residents that will be joining our team. One of which is a recent graduate from FAMU. So I guess its not that bad. From what I have heard we have a hard and very competitive residiency to get in.

I was checkin gout FAMU's Pharmacy info online. These guys dont require a PCAT. I called them today for more info and they say 1000 peopel apply but accept somewhere around 120 I think. Do you think this is an easy school to get into I have a undergrad in BUsiness (BTW the field is not great so dont consider it)

I was wondering if anyone has applied or attends this school? They say the gpa is only for your pre pharm classes. Now here's the catch for me...I want to start next fall in 2006. Do I have time? I am trying my hardest to begin pre pharm classes in May. I think I have about 5-7 classes to take which are all science classes and I gotta retake Pre Cal and Calculus...

Thanks for the inquiries

If they get 1,000 applicants for 120 seats, then I'd say no - it's not easy to get in to.

Kinda off the subject but it regards to FMAU. Has anyone heard from them?? I applied to them back in Sept. I called them to check on my file and they said they haven't even looked at it!? Plus they haven't started interviews! Anyone know what's going on?!?!?!? Also, I've met an intern from FAMU, he seems pretty cool and loves the program. Don't know if this helps you...

Violetwings929 said:
Kinda off the subject but it regards to FMAU. Has anyone heard from them?? I applied to them back in Sept. I called them to check on my file and they said they haven't even looked at it!? Plus they haven't started interviews! Anyone know what's going on?!?!?!? Also, I've met an intern from FAMU, he seems pretty cool and loves the program. Don't know if this helps you...

From what I have heard, FAMU is always very late in completing reviews and sending out letters. Many of my friends have applied to FAMU and nobody has heard anything other than file complete.

FAMU said I need a 3.5 to even be competitive for their program. I already have a BBA degree but the gpa is 2.71 when I graduated. I was wanting to start pre pahrm courses next month now I dont know what to do

Its like I dont even have a chance.
I thought FAMU woudl be easy to get into

ANY IDEAS?? Are there even any online BS Pharm degrees anywhere in the WORLD?

Yes, I am finishing the FAMU pharmacy 6 year program. I am on my clinical rotations and will graduate may 2011. The program will provide you all of the information you need to become a successful pharmacist, however, it is up to you to retain that information (not only for a test)and to COMPREHEND the material. Anyone can memorize drugs, but can you apply them in a practical setting?