FAMU Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rehabman28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any FAMU students on here? If so, how are you liking the school? Do you feel that you are receiving a quality education? If you are Caucasian, how do you like attending a historically black college? Any info. is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Not a FAMU student, but the reputation of FAMU pharmacy hasn't been too great. They have one of the lowest NAPLEX passing rates at 87%. I believe only Xavier scored lower than FAMU at 83%

I'm Caucasian and did most of my pre-pharm at Xavier. It was a bit annoying being referred to as "the white girl," but apparently the racial distribution is more diverse in the pharmacy school. And the teachers I had were all excellent, some of the best I've had.

Members don't see this ad :)
FAMU like any other school has positives and negatives. I was accepted to other pharmacy schools but chose FAMU for the family atmosphere that they provide. At the end of the day it is the responsibility of the student to get the most out of their particular program. In terms of quality of education I received, I am on par with my co-residents who went to other schools, and I have signed to complete a PGY2 in CC so going to FAMU hasn't hindered me professionally or personally. If I had to do it over again, FAMU would still be my #1 choice!

Last edited:
I was wondering if there are any FAMU students on here? If so, how are you liking the school? Do you feel that you are receiving a quality education? If you are Caucasian, how do you like attending a historically black college? Any info. is greatly appreciated!

I don't go to FAM either but I live in Florida and I know A LOT of people who do and some of them are white. They were in the undergraduate program as well, so I'm pretty sure the professional program is just as diverse if not more so. Also, you have to remember it is located in Tallahassee which is arguably the largest college town in Florida, if not the surrounding states as well... so if you like that atmoshphere you will have plenty of opportunities to interact with TONS of different people. I'm not familiar with the program though... I just know about the school in general.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I heard that they have a dissertation requirement. I'm done writing essays. I hope this isn't true!

FAMU has its ups and downs. Although it is a little awkward going to an HBCU as a white student, it' nothing that can't be overcome. I mean, we are all people who wake up the same way every morning.

Last edited:
wow...i go to famu (c/o 2011)...and ur a ignorant SOB...almost damn near every pharmacy schools curve certain class:laugh::laugh::laugh:..........please just stfu and do ur research....

No need for namecalling, Rattler:caution:

Members don't see this ad :)
this Dr.Wrong is showing no loyalty right now...i really want to see buddy face to face when school starts again...:smuggrin::smuggrin:

If it would make you feel better I'll delete MY opinion from the boards in order to not offend anyone else, but that is how I sometimes feel. Of course, you are in the class of 2011 and, I assume, have no idea what is going on in the class of 2012 with all the curriculum changes. We have professors you guys have never even heard of "teaching" us.

everyone feels that way about their school/class at some point. I promise.

everyone feels that way about their school/class at some point. I promise.

Obviously there is at least one that hasn't yet :idea:

That was probably mean. I'm just kidding, GodsSon2011

Obviously there is at least one that hasn't yet :idea:

That was probably mean. I'm just kidding, GodsSon2011

I'm serious. By the 1st semester of 3rd year I was in tears with the ridiculousness and lack of professionalism with my classmates. And by the time we started 4th year rotations I was convinced 70% of them were technically ******ed. Some of it just has to do with being stuck with the same people for 3 years.

I'm serious. By the 1st semester of 3rd year I was in tears with the ridiculousness and lack of professionalism with my classmates. And by the time we started 4th year rotations I was convinced 70% of them were technically ******ed. Some of it just has to do with being stuck with the same people for 3 years.

Hah, well looking back it seemed to all work out for you I guess?

I go to FAMU RX and im in my P4 year... in comparison to any other RX school in Florida, I wouldnt change it for the world.

I dont really see the ups and downs... 87% pass rate on Naplex?! That just means 13% decided not to care much to study in my opinion.

And as far as the curriculum change?! Every school goes through it, 2012 you just have the honor of being the charter class!

oh yeah, and not that it matters but only to answer the OP... im caucasian

Not a FAMU student, but the reputation of FAMU pharmacy hasn't been too great. They have one of the lowest NAPLEX passing rates at 87%. I believe only Xavier scored lower than FAMU at 83%

As a National Achievement Scholar, I had many schools to choose from. And FAMU was not at the top of my list. But they courted me so to speak. I receive an excellent education but I also had an incomparable experience. I left FAMU in 2007 with a PharmD in tow, guaranteeing me at least 90-100k/year, without owing a dime. I would choose FAMU a million times over. At the end of the day, its not about Naplex scores (Naplex scores are based on averages--FAMU has been at over above 90% in past years). Its about what YOU do where YOU are.

As a National Achievement Scholar, I had many schools to choose from. And FAMU was not at the top of my list. But they courted me so to speak. I receive an excellent education but I also had an incomparable experience. I left FAMU in 2007 with a PharmD in tow, guaranteeing me at least 90-100k/year, without owing a dime. I would choose FAMU a million times over. At the end of the day, its not about Naplex scores (Naplex scores are based on averages--FAMU has been at over above 90% in past years). Its about what YOU do where YOU are.

I've met some excellent pharmacists and residents coming from FAMU. However, NAPLEX pass scores show a rate of minimum competency. There's no way of telling what the reasons may be for a low pass rate, but there is certainly something wrong. In 2009, the pass rate was 81.9% for 116 students. That means about 21 students failed to reach the minimum competency to become pharmacists. That scares me out of recommending the school for any pre-pharm no matter how cheap the tuition.

While FAMU isn't my first choice, Keep in mind that the pass rate published is for "first time" test takers.

Pls what's the tuition and housing like? Is housing cheap?

I don't think you're going to get much of a response bumping an almost 5 year old thread but I'll see if I can help. I don't attend FAMU however. I got accepted but chose UF over FAMU. I did however do my undergraduate at Florida State University there in Tallahassee. Most of the housing in Tallahassee is really cheap granted you need to do some research on the areas to find the best area for you. Traffic is never too bad so don't worry about living a little further away from campus in order to save on rent or live in a safer area. Expect to still see some crime it's just the nature of Tallahassee being such a college town. I lived in a nice area and my place was still broken into over the summer when I was on vacation for a couple of weeks. Don't let this scare you though, it was really the only big problem I had there the entire 4 years I attended FSU. Tuition at FAMU was a fraction of the price that I am paying here at UF so I would not worry too much about that. If I remember right it was about $6,000/year for the first two years then like $14,000 for the last two years. It's definitely the cheapest pharmacy school in the state, and probably the nation.

Gainesville over Tallahassee? NO freakin' way!!

Signed, a UF Alum

Reactions: 1 user
Gainesville over Tallahassee? NO freakin' way!!

Signed, a UF Alum

I'm actually at the Orlando Campus but same difference! It's definitely night and day between the schools especially after seeing them in person. ;)