FAP and parental information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopeMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am trying to find out about the fee assistance program and including parental information.

I grew up not knowing my father. He left my mother after she found out she was pregnant and denied any responsibility to me and was never sought after for child support.

A couple years ago, at age 20, I sought him out and was determined to try a relationship with him. I got to know him for the past couple years but the relationship has been ended permanently.

He has made no financial contributions to me whatsoever in the past couple years or during my childhood and I am trying to find out whether I have to put down his information when filing for the FAP program.

Anyone been in this situation? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a dependant? If so then you list who ever is listed as your parent/guardian. If not then you list your income only. It sounds as if you provide for yourself, but I don't for for sure. You can always email the FAP people..it takes only a day or so for them to respond. Hope that helps.

Are you a dependant? If so then you list who ever is listed as your parent/guardian. If not then you list your income only. It sounds as if you provide for yourself, but I don't for for sure. You can always email the FAP people..it takes only a day or so for them to respond. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response. From what I understand through the application process you have to put your income and your parents income regardless of whether you are a dependent.

I should try emailing them directly, thanks for the heads up. Anyone else have an idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is unfortunate if you really have to put down your parents' information also. I am an independent now barely making enough money to get myself through school and pay for an apt. My parents are being wrecked with medical bills and debt so they can't help much. Hopefully I can get some assistance from FAP.. or maybe I'll have to move back in with the rents when I'm done with these pre-reqs... :scared:

But yes e-mailing them directly may help if they can sympathize with your situation

Thanks for the response. From what I understand through the application process you have to put your income and your parents income regardless of whether you are a dependent.

I should try emailing them directly, thanks for the heads up. Anyone else have an idea?

If you are estranged from your parents you don't have to include them. I just applied for FAP and the program gave me an override on the form. All I have to do is provide a letter from clergy that I am estranged from my parents.

I submitted my FAP and got approval within a week. I am from a single parent household. I know both parents but only one was financially involved. Therefore, all I had to submit was my tax info and the tax info for the contributing parent.

If you are estranged from your parents you don't have to include them. I just applied for FAP and the program gave me an override on the form. All I have to do is provide a letter from clergy that I am estranged from my parents.

What? Why?

It doesn't have to be clergy. Just a 3rd party that is willing to vouch for you in a notarized letter that you are telling the truth.

I just did the same thing and they accepted a long-term friend.

I submitted my FAP and got approval within a week. I am from a single parent household. I know both parents but only one was financially involved. Therefore, all I had to submit was my tax info and the tax info for the contributing parent.

Did you submit supporting materials by mail? I mailed my and my parent's tax info, but haven't heard back yet.

Did you submit supporting materials by mail? I mailed my and my parent's tax info, but haven't heard back yet.

I scanned all the supporting materials and sent it via e-mail. I was too impatient to send by snail mail.