FAP but balance due

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jess8398

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are approved for the FAP and filling out the amcas application now, when you add schools, is the "balance due" supposed to be 0? Because mine shows $150 for balance due. I was approved for my fap on March 5th 2014, but I thought the fee waiver was good for 2 years so shouldn't I have until December 2015?

Edit- I only added one school to test it out and it showed $150

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I thought FAP only covers a set number of schools and after that you have to pay out of pocket

I thought FAP only covers a set number of schools and after that you have to pay out of pocket
Yes it's supposed to cover 15 schools I believe but I only added one school just to test it out and it's already showing a balance due

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it's supposed to cover 15 schools I believe but I only added one school just to test it out and it's already showing a balance due

iirc, the first school that they charge you for on amcas costs a lot more. Its like a hundred something for the first school they charge you for and 37 bucks thereafter.

You have to reapply each calendar year. If you were approved in March 2014 then you had fee assistance for applications in 2014, not 2015.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who are approved for the FAP and filling out the amcas application now, when you add schools, is the "balance due" supposed to be 0? Because mine shows $150 for balance due. I was approved for my fap on March 5th 2014, but I thought the fee waiver was good for 2 years so shouldn't I have until December 2015?

Only good for ONE calendar year. You must reapply every calendar year.

Hi everyone. The Fee Assistance Program eligibility was updated in 2015. If you were approved after January 1, 2015, your benefits expire December 31, 2016. Any Fee Assistance Program applications that were approved prior to December 31, 2014 will not cover benefits in calendar year 2015.

If you need assistance, we encourage you to contact AAMC Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Eastern Time at 202-828-0600 or email [email protected]

-AAMC Pre-med Services Team

Reactions: 1 user

Your question was answered but I just want to say, if you are just filling out the AMCAS on October 2, even if it isn't costing you anything to do so, you may be wasting your time and receiving the label of "reapplicant" when you go through the process again in Summer 2016 if you aren't admitted anywhere in this cycle. At least 95% of all the applicants applied earlier than you did; schools that review applications in the order in which they arrive will be looking at your application sometime between December and February. At that point, very few interview slots will be open. Think carefully about whether it makes sense for you to apply this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Your question was answered but I just want to say, if you are just filling out the AMCAS on October 2, even if it isn't costing you anything to do so, you may be wasting your time and receiving the label of "reapplicant" when you go through the process again in Summer 2016 if you aren't admitted anywhere in this cycle. At least 95% of all the applicants applied earlier than you did; schools that review applications in the order in which they arrive will be looking at your application sometime between December and February. At that point, very few interview slots will be open. Think carefully about whether it makes sense for you to apply this year.

Is it still considered "late" for schools who had primary deadlines of December 1 or December 15? My application was officially submitted October 12 and is pending transcript and letters.

Is it still considered "late" for schools who had primary deadlines of December 1 or December 15? My application was officially submitted October 12 and is pending transcript and letters.

You are, I would estimate, in the final 5% of applicants. That could be okay or it could hurt in a big way. Time will tell.