FAP Parent Info - Estrangement Q?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMcMommy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of filling out my FAP application and I don't know what to do about the parent financial info. I moved out of my mother's home while I was in high school and I have not spoken with her in about four years, since before I had my child. I absolutely do not believe she will provide me with her information, even if I reach out to her.

I've seen on other posts that sometimes estrangement waivers are granted if a notarized letter is written. Does anyone know who would have to write that? Would I be able to ask one of my sisters or my husband? Or does it have to be more distant of a person than that? Obviously I'll double check with AMCAS, but until I get a response from them I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas of where I would stand or who I should think to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I was awarded FAP and successfully filed for a parental estrangement. I've attached an image with some of the paperwork you will need to fill out, it has the relevant points on it. You'd be checking that you have no relationship with your parent and you have some options as to who can write you a letter of a support. I would guess that a non-family member would probably pass the sniff test easiest, I used one of my grade school teachers that has known me for a very long time.

Attachments

• fap_estrangement.png
    fap_estrangement.png
    271.6 KB · Views: 387
Reactions: 1 user
I have no knowledge but remember that @Affiche had a few posts about it last cycle. I believe that she was able to get waiver under similar circumstances.