FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow. That's pretty serious! I guess that's why they never claim averages... nobody would apply.

Thanks!

That's not to say you shouldn't apply, just might help set expectations. My cousin matched at UCD several years ago with a step in the mid 230s, so not all hope is lost. I do think CA is more competitive of late, though.

Members don't see this ad.

I know the consensus is that west coast and certain areas like NY are near impossible to for non-stellar applicants from outside those regions. However, I personally would like to match somewhere in California (along with thousands of others, I know), I understand that realistically my chances of landing a rads spot at places like UCSF, UCLA, or Stanford are slim to none but I would be more than ecstatic to be able to even have a shot elsewhere, but preferably in the UC system as I am quite interested in matching at an academic institution. I've been looking into Irvine, Davis, SD and a few others but I'm having a hard time finding much information for a good way for an outside applicant to approach a match there. I will likely do an away somewhere in CA but have not decided where yet. Does anyone have suggestions as to what sorts of things an applicant from another region could do or say, if any, to show a strong interest or improving likelyhood of match? Sadly landing a 270 for me is no longer an option so I'm looking for other factors.

My stats as of now are:
Step 1 - 237
preclinical GPA: 3.8ish? from a mid/low-tier institution
Clerkships: HP FM only
Research: Single publication from undergrad with involvement in 3 research projects at respected institutions, but have done several presentations. Will soon meet with rads chair to discuss more opportunities for case studies/research
Still working on finding good sources of LORs.

I've also met with the radiologist who conducts all the interviews at our program and he said that I will match if I apply to 15-20 programs... which I think may have been slightly underestimated.

Thanks!

That's more than a slight underestimation. Most people apply to at least 30. Bump that up to at least 40-50 if you are interested in highly competitive programs or regions or if you're an average candidate numbers wise. In your situation I would probably apply to at least 50-60 since you want to end up at an academic program. It also depends on what region your med school is in. If you're in the midwest or southeast where on average programs are less competitive than the east coast you may get away with applying to less.

I would rotate at UC Davis and Loma Linda. Those are still pretty damn competitive but they are a probably less competitive relative to UCLA, UCSD, Irvine etc primarily because of location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Top 20 med school
Step 1: 228
M3 right now: HP in 2 rotations done so far, 4-5 left + electives

Research:
1 pub in non-rads field (pending): 1st or 2nd author
1 pub in radiology (pending): 1st author: research done @ Top Boston hospital w/LOR
3 abstracts in radiology
1 abstract in non-rads field

Plan:
- Do rads elective, then take Step 2 CK in August end, apply Sept

Chances? I know Step 1 is now. I'm not looking to go west but would like a middle-tier academic program hopefully?
Should I take a year off? Not sure what I'll achieve.. realistically, I've been told I'll match "somewhere." What benefit would a year off give if at all.

Your plan is solid. I got a 229 on step one, took step 2 in august an got a 254. Ended up applying to 70ish programs and got over 30 interviews. You'll do just fine if you apply broadly. All of your research CV stuff is way way way way better than mine ever was. Just focus on honors for now and step 2 later. Oh.. i never had any honors either (my school just doesnt give them out).

Your plan is solid. I got a 229 on step one, took step 2 in august an got a 254. Ended up applying to 70ish programs and got over 30 interviews. You'll do just fine if you apply broadly. All of your research CV stuff is way way way way better than mine ever was. Just focus on honors for now and step 2 later. Oh.. i never had any honors either (my school just doesnt give them out).

Did you do any away rotations or have time?

MS3 at midwestern school ranked in 20s
Step 1: 249
Clerkships: Mostly HPs, a couple H's
Research: Some non-rads research prior to medical school resulting in an abstract and presentation at a national conference. But essentially no radiology research whatsoever.
ECs: nothing particularly special, involvement in a national organization here and there. Plus hobbies.

On top of the usual WAMC questions, I've got some specific questions that I'm hoping people can help answer.

1) Step 2 timing: My situation is a little different than most WAMCs as I'm planning on taking a year off between MS3 and MS4, for reasons not related at all to med school or residency applications. Although I do plan to look around for some radiology research opportunities and figure out if academic rads is something I'm interested in. In this case, I've been considering taking Step 2 after MS3 is over this summer, but am I better off waiting a whole year to take it so that I can decide whether to release the scores? I should say that I feel reasonably confident that should I take it this summer, I'd do the same or better. But you never know.

2) LORs: I recently did very well on my medicine clerkship and my attending at the VA has offered to write me a strong LOR. I've been hearing mixed things here and there about how it would be better if I had an attending at the university hospital (e.g. medical school faculty, rather than an attending at the VA who is not faculty) write my letter. I certainly could do this, but I did spend a lot more time with this attending at the VA and I think she can speak to my strengths and traits very well. Seems like a reasonably easy choice given that this would just be a MS3 letter, but just in case I'm throwing this out there.

Thanks in advance
GB

Probably heard it before, but apply broadly; geographic preferences?

You might as well take step 2 while clinical info is fresh in your mind. As far as non-rads letters go, I'm not sure the pedigree is that important. If it's not from Paul Farmer I'm not sure rads PDs will know many non-radiologists not from their institutions.

Research: Some non-rads research prior to medical school resulting in an abstract and presentation at a national conference. But essentially no radiology research whatsoever.
ECs: nothing particularly special, involvement in a national organization here and there. Plus hobbies.

On top of the usual WAMC questions, I've got some specific questions that I'm hoping people can help answer.

1) Step 2 timing: My situation is a little different than most WAMCs as I'm planning on taking a year off between MS3 and MS4, for reasons not related at all to med school or residency applications. Although I do plan to look around for some radiology research opportunities and figure out if academic rads is something I'm interested in. In this case, I've been considering taking Step 2 after MS3 is over this summer, but am I better off waiting a whole year to take it so that I can decide whether to release the scores? I should say that I feel reasonably confident that should I take it this summer, I'd do the same or better. But you never know.

2) LORs: I recently did very well on my medicine clerkship and my attending at the VA has offered to write me a strong LOR. I've been hearing mixed things here and there about how it would be better if I had an attending at the university hospital (e.g. medical school faculty, rather than an attending at the VA who is not faculty) write my letter. I certainly could do this, but I did spend a lot more time with this attending at the VA and I think she can speak to my strengths and traits very well. Seems like a reasonably easy choice given that this would just be a MS3 letter, but just in case I'm throwing this out there.

Thanks in advance
GB

Thanks in advance
GB

where are you trying to match? we have very very similar credentials and I matched to an ivy-affiliated program in a major metropolitan center in the northeast where i have never been to in my life prior to apps. i took step 2 ck early and i studied hard, got higher than step 1, did it matter? maybe. trying for cali/westcoast? goodluck with that.

Probably heard it before, but apply broadly; geographic preferences?

You might as well take step 2 while clinical info is fresh in your mind. As far as non-rads letters go, I'm not sure the pedigree is that important. If it's not from Paul Farmer I'm not sure rads PDs will know many non-radiologists not from their institutions.

where are you trying to match? we have very very similar credentials and I matched to an ivy-affiliated program in a major metropolitan center in the northeast where i have never been to in my life prior to apps. i took step 2 ck early and i studied hard, got higher than step 1, did it matter? maybe. trying for cali/westcoast? goodluck with that.

I don't really have a geographic preference at all. I'm born and raised in the midwest and everything, and I'm ready for a change. I don't mind moving out to the coasts, but I recognize that being in the midwest makes things a little tricky when it comes to matching outside of the midwest, although a lot of that is because a lot of people here have family/social ties.

I don't really have a geographic preference at all. I'm born and raised in the midwest and everything, and I'm ready for a change. I don't mind moving out to the coasts, but I recognize that being in the midwest makes things a little tricky when it comes to matching outside of the midwest, although a lot of that is because a lot of people here have family/social ties.

How many programs you apply to just depends how far out of region you want to be. I think you'd be competitive for top midwestern programs like Mayo, UChicago, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Michigan, Wash U, Pittsburgh, and CCF as well as mid/top tier programs nationally like Emory, UNC, UTSW, Wake, UVA, Sinai. BU, etc. I'd apply to a lot of programs of this caliber as well as some lower ranked "safety" programs and mix in some top tier East Coast and CA programs as you see fit, although those will be lower yield for you.

I have a very similar Step 1 score as you and I was told Step 2 isn't going to hurt or help me unless I'd either bomb it or absolutely crush it. So if you are content with the 249 I'd just take it while the info is still fresh.

FWIW, I had no radiology research, either. As I was on the trail I noticed just about everywhere I went didn't emphasize research, while the places I didn't get are more research oriented. That's not to say you wont get great interviews (especially in the midwest like me), but some radiology research would make you more attractive to certain programs.

Thanks in advance
GB

where are you trying to match? we have very very similar credentials and I matched to an ivy-affiliated program in a major metropolitan center in the northeast where i have never been to in my life prior to apps.

Ivy affiliated NE program? That's not really an indicator of quality.

That covers some decent ones like Pennsylvania Hospital, Mt Auburn and St Luke's Roosevelt, some mediocre ones like St Raphael's, and some awful ones like Harlem Hospital.

Affiliations don't matter that much, and Ivy league status definitely no longer matters - I'd rather go to UCSF than Dartmouth.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks in advance
GB

Wow, you basically have the same profile as I do.. I'm even taking a few months off after third year is over! Thanks for already asking the questions I wanted to ask! :D

How many programs you apply to just depends how far out of region you want to be. I think you'd be competitive for top midwestern programs like Mayo, UChicago, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Michigan, Wash U, Pittsburgh, and CCF as well as mid/top tier programs nationally like Emory, UNC, UTSW, Wake, UVA, Sinai. BU, etc. I'd apply to a lot of programs of this caliber as well as some lower ranked "safety" programs and mix in some top tier East Coast and CA programs as you see fit, although those will be lower yield for you.

Sounds about right.. I am fairly sure I want to head back to the east coast but Chicago and southeastern Michigan are places I would be happy matching to as well. Going to have to apply broadly for sure.

I have a very similar Step 1 score as you and I was told Step 2 isn't going to hurt or help me unless I'd either bomb it or absolutely crush it. So if you are content with the 249 I'd just take it while the info is still fresh.

FWIW, I had no radiology research, either. As I was on the trail I noticed just about everywhere I went didn't emphasize research, while the places I didn't get are more research oriented. That's not to say you wont get great interviews (especially in the midwest like me), but some radiology research would make you more attractive to certain programs.

Good to know. I'm probably going to take the Step 2 CK right after third year is over and get it out of the way, similar situation like Gullain Barre mentioned.

MS3 at average allopathic school in TX
Step 1: 232/99
Pre-clinicals: top quartile but will likely be just outside of AOA
Clerkships: All HPs, except H in Surg
Research, etc: none

So I realize my Step 1 is low and I need to do really well on Step 2. I will be applying broadly and am willing to go anywhere.

1) What do you think my overall chances are matching? Do I have any shot at going to a university program?

2) I plan on doing 2 aways outside of TX in the region I would like to be (SE) in summer/early fall to get interview and/or letter. What "tier" of school should I do an away at?

TIA

You stand a good chance at matching a solid program.

What tiers to apply for, I can't help. I'd say mid-tier good university programs may yield the most if you can impress.

I would consider doing an away at places like Jackson Memorial, UNC, Emory etc. As far as tiers to apply to, I think you're competitive for good community and mid/low tier academic programs in the S/SE. Definitely apply to Duke, Vandy, Emory, etc but don't be surprised if you don't get interviews there.

MS3 at average allopathic school in TX
Step 1: 232/99
Pre-clinicals: top quartile but will likely be just outside of AOA
Clerkships: All HPs, except H in Surg
Research, etc: none

So I realize my Step 1 is low and I need to do really well on Step 2. I will be applying broadly and am willing to go anywhere.

1) What do you think my overall chances are matching? Do I have any shot at going to a university program?

2) I plan on doing 2 aways outside of TX in the region I would like to be (SE) in summer/early fall to get interview and/or letter. What "tier" of school should I do an away at?

TIA

236 step one
borderline top 1/3 of class (non-aoa)
Mid/ low tier med school on east coast, primary adress in chicago area

Worked on a radiology teaching file 1st year, worked on some radiology clinical research 2nd year (? if im on the publication tho.. did research and data work mostly, no writing), radiology case report this year submitted to ACR as 2nd author, and now im starting a radiology research project as a 1st author. hopefully done by applications time.

honors in Surgery, hopefully in medicine as well.

Looking to go back to midwest, rush, loyola, UIC, Cook (realizing NW and UChicago are reaches, and trying to not do community hospitals if possible.

Thoughts appreciated.

You'll be fine. You should have no problem getting most of the midwest university programs like Iowa, Nebraska, etc. The Chicago programs are a little more difficult. Think about an away elective or two or something else to get you on their radar. I'd incorporate something into your personal statement about being from the midwest as well (at least on one of the drafts). There is a LOT of geographical bias in rads and most programs look at the school you attended, not your address.

You should be competitive for Chicago programs outside the big 2.

236 step one
borderline top 1/3 of class (non-aoa)
Mid/ low tier med school on east coast, primary adress in chicago area

Worked on a radiology teaching file 1st year, worked on some radiology clinical research 2nd year (? if im on the publication tho.. did research and data work mostly, no writing), radiology case report this year submitted to ACR as 2nd author, and now im starting a radiology research project as a 1st author. hopefully done by applications time.

honors in Surgery, hopefully in medicine as well.

Looking to go back to midwest, rush, loyola, UIC, Cook (realizing NW and UChicago are reaches, and trying to not do community hospitals if possible.

Thoughts appreciated.

What are my chances for Radiology Residency or Fellowships?

Credentials:

IMG
Step 1- 253/99
Step 2 Ck- 257/99
Step 2 Cs- Passed 1st attempt

Done MD Radiology from India in June 2011

Over all 1st Rank in Post graduate medical entrance examination of the university

Multiple University Medals during MBBS for scoring highest marks in various subjects

Many publications in National and International journals

Many presentations in National and International conferences

Awarded Best paper award in National conference

Awarded RSNA travel grant during 2011 based on highest grade of abstract submitted from India region

Runner up in Radiology quiz of SAARC countries consisting of India and adjacent neighborhood countries

Seems like you'd have a good shot at research heavy programs; take step 3.

What are my chances for Radiology Residency or Fellowships?

Credentials:

IMG
Step 1- 253/99
Step 2 Ck- 257/99
Step 2 Cs- Passed 1st attempt

Done MD Radiology from India in June 2011

Over all 1st Rank in Post graduate medical entrance examination of the university

Multiple University Medals during MBBS for scoring highest marks in various subjects

Many publications in National and International journals

Many presentations in National and International conferences

Awarded Best paper award in National conference

Awarded RSNA travel grant during 2011 based on highest grade of abstract submitted from India region

Runner up in Radiology quiz of SAARC countries consisting of India and adjacent neighborhood countries

I would prefer entry into an allopathic medical school. Here are my demographics and my statistics.

In High School I was an A student

College:

Senior Biology Major
Math Minor
Entry Date: Fall 2007
Expected graduation date: Fall 2012 (I only took on average 12-13 hours a semester. I could not afford summer classes)
cumulative GPA: 2.7 (I worked very hard to pull this up from a 2.1)
last 60 hours thus far: 2.9gpa
I retook classes that I did poorly in. My grades went from Ds to A's and B+'s
Began college as an honors student, I left after my grades dropped because of mistakes.
Currently 1 Withdrawal on my record

Teaching Experience:
Teach Houston experience (offers teaching experience to students) Creating lesson plans
Citizen Schools - Citizen schools teacher (Creating lesson plans)
Tutor for the TAKS test
Multiple positions as a tutor

Major Community Service Experiences:
-Children's Defense Fund Freedom Schools (2 consecutive years thus far) - this also offered teaching experience and Social Work experience.
-My campus ministry (3 consecutive years thus far)- i serve as the campus liaison. I also plan programs and events for the ministry.
-A social sorority (3.5 years) - currently focusing on school
-Peer tutor for my scholarship program

Awards:
-Deans list twice in my academic career
-Houston Louis Stokes Minority Participation Scholar

Work Experience:
-I began working 2 jobs my second semester in college while joining a sorority.
I maintained working an average of 18 hours per week until the year of 2010. This is when I took on multiple jobs to assist myself and parents. I worked under a teaching internship, while working as a student assistant at a Children's Learning Center for 1 year. I also performed this while participating in my semester Undergraduate Research program. A year before this, I worked two jobs while participating in the Academic Associates program.
- Also worked multiple positions as an administrative secretary.
- Student Assistant at Child's learning center (3 years)
- currently studying to take pharmacy technician test

Research Experience:
-Academic Associates Program - A clinical research program with Baylor/Texas Children's Hospital
-Undergraduate Research - Participated in a semester long research project with my professor. I received a scholarship to do so.

Practice Mcat:
16/17 (this is without studying)
- I have not taken the real MCAT yet
- I plan to study during the summer to take it in the fall of this year

Backup plan until I get into medical school:

-Obtain a Masters in Health Administration
-While working as a Pharmacy Technician

Race/Ethnicity:
-This shouldn't matter, but if it does to some, i am black.

Questions:
-What are my chances of getting into medical school?
-What can I do to improve my application?

This is the radiology forum. You should really post this in the Pre-Med or Allopathic forum.

It has been noted and will be sent to all adcoms.

Thanks. Sorry about that.

Radiology forum or not, I have to say your prospects aren't great. A 2.7 with a practice MCAT of 17? You'll need at least a 35 to even get a second look with that GPA. I'd seriously think about a different career.

TBH I don't think a 35 on the MCAT will help you much. You need to do better on your mcat 30+ and apply for SMP because there's almost no way you will get a look from an allopathic program.

This is putting it bluntly. Best of luck.

TBH I don't think a 35 on the MCAT will help you much. You need to do better on your mcat 30+ and apply for SMP because there's almost no way you will get a look from an allopathic program.

This is putting it bluntly. Best of luck.

Yeah, I was being optimistic. Maybe a 40 would work if he/she is getting an engineering degree (grading is brutal for them) but doesn't sound like it.

Yeah I know it doesn't look great, I haven't taken the real MCAT yet. I think I did well, considering the fact that I haven't studied lol. Although my scores are low, I have had extenuating circumstances. So, it doesn't kill my chances of getting into medical school lol. I'll be studying for my MCAT this summer to improve my application. I'm not giving up; what would be the use since I've come this far. I know I'm not the best candidate, and I'm also not a number. I must have some sort of chance, if Baylor accepted me into their clinical program with my GPA being lower than what it is now. I appreciate you guys being "realistic", but a word of advice: One could be realistic without kicking another persons goal to the curb lol. One has to learn how to speak to their patients while being realistic, and without being disheartening.

Last edited:
. I appreciate you guys being "realistic", but a word of advice: One could be realistic without kicking another persons goal to the curb lol. One has to learn how to speak to their patients while being realistic, and without being disheartening.

Thanks for the advice on how to talk to patients lol. We're not trying to kick your goals to the curb lol. We're trying to save you time and money applying to allopathic programs lol. No program is going to accept you with that GPA. It's the reality. Look into DO and caribbean schools. If you want "supportive" comments, go to the pre-med pages. These are the opinions of people who have been through the process.

And stop with the lol's. It makes you sound like you're 12.

Yeah I know it doesn't look great, I haven't taken the real MCAT yet. I think I did well, considering the fact that I haven't studied lol. Although my scores are low, I have had extenuating circumstances. So, it doesn't kill my chances of getting into medical school lol. I'll be studying for my MCAT this summer to improve my application. I'm not giving up; what would be the use since I've come this far. I know I'm not the best candidate, and I'm also not a number. I must have some sort of chance, if Baylor accepted me into their clinical program with my GPA being lower than what it is now. I appreciate you guys being "realistic", but a word of advice: One could be realistic without kicking another persons goal to the curb lol. One has to learn how to speak to their patients while being realistic, and without being disheartening.

If you want an honest opinion that is really trying to help you... you really only have 3 courses of action, all of which will depend on you getting a MCAT score of 30+

1) Apply to an SMP. Do well in the SMP and then try again for medical school. (of which the best IMO, is georgetown's smp program http://smp.georgetown.edu/ )
2) Think about DO/Caribbean
3) Possibly a post-bacc somewhere to boost your GPA.

Regardless, you must destroy the MCAT, even to get into an SMP.

Sometimes in patient care it is appropriate to be blunt, if supportive. Personally, I scored >30 prior to studying, so a score of 17 suggests some serious deficiencies in your preparation that may be hard to overcome with something like Kaplan.

I don't want to touch this with a ten foot pole, but there is something (a checkbox on your application) that still gives you a shot, but would you really want to exploit that if you aren't prepared to handle the coursework of medical school? I'm not sure how far schools are willing to go for the sake of diversity, but your stats must be pushing the limit. It really doesn't sound like you could handle medical school, so I don't think this would be doing you a favor.

You should do yourself a favor and seriously reevaluate your desire to go to medical school. There are other paths that can be as rewarding with far less training.

If you want an honest opinion that is really trying to help you... you really only have 3 courses of action, all of which will depend on you getting a MCAT score of 30+

1) Apply to an SMP. Do well in the SMP and then try again for medical school. (of which the best IMO, is georgetown's smp program http://smp.georgetown.edu/ )
2) Think about DO/Caribbean
3) Possibly a post-bacc somewhere to boost your GPA.

Regardless, you must destroy the MCAT, even to get into an SMP.

Also, Caribbean is a bad idea. It was a valid path in the past, but with increasing US spots the Caribbean programs will probably get shut out of US residencies in the next 5 years.

Word of advice: Take advice and use it to light a fire under your arse. Your past history seems to indicate you kicking you dreams to the curb long before we ever did. You are working hard to pull it up to a 2.7 by getting below a B average. If I were you, you wouldn't be able to pull me away from studying to try and crush every exam that came my way. If you want cheery pats on the back with a "You can do it because you're a beautiful and unique snowflake!" then go to your friends and family. We aren't cheerleaders and if you do get to med school, you will quickly realize that some patients just have to be told how it is or else they will never improve. Even then, a good chunk of them will tell you you're wrong and proceed to stuff their face till their foot falls off.

With a GPA like that, she's going to have trouble at most DO schools too.

Really? Some of them have MCAT averages of 21, wouldn't expect them to be very stingy about grades.

I believe the averages for my class were MCAT 27 and GPA 3.6. Those aren't ivy league numbers but way more competitive than the ballpark you are thinking. Here are some stats:

"Admission to osteopathic medical school is competitive. Of those applying in the 2011 application cycle, the average (mean) MCAT scores were 8.37 verbal, 8.28 physical sciences and 9.01 biological sciences. The average (mean) overall grade point average was 3.41 and the average science grade point average was 3.26. Generally, MCAT scores and grade point averages are slightly higher for matriculating students than scores reported for the overall applicant pool." http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/becoming/Pages/AdmissionReq.aspx

BTW... I feel that I got a great education at a DO school (anecdotally, my USMLEs are in the 250s). I feel like our school puts out quality clinicians. Research is the obvious lack in most osteopathic schools.

I believe the averages for my class were MCAT 27 and GPA 3.6. Those aren't ivy league numbers but way more competitive than the ballpark you are thinking. Here are some stats:

"Admission to osteopathic medical school is competitive. Of those applying in the 2011 application cycle, the average (mean) MCAT scores were 8.37 verbal, 8.28 physical sciences and 9.01 biological sciences. The average (mean) overall grade point average was 3.41 and the average science grade point average was 3.26. Generally, MCAT scores and grade point averages are slightly higher for matriculating students than scores reported for the overall applicant pool." http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/becoming/Pages/AdmissionReq.aspx

BTW... I feel that I got a great education at a DO school (anecdotally, my USMLEs are in the 250s). I feel like our school puts out quality clinicians. Research is the obvious lack in most osteopathic schools.

Didn't say all. This was my source:

http://www.atsu.edu/faculty/chamberlain/ranmcat.htm

Last one that reported scores had an average of 21.7. The ones that didn't may have been lower.

This is old (2008), and DO admissions have gotten substantially more competitive since.

UMDNJ-SOM, for instance, "didn't report" for this survey but now has an incoming MCAT average over 29 and a GPA average over 3.6. The other DO schools near the top of this list have improved as well. I've heard (unconfirmed) rumblings of Western having an MCAT average over 30. The ones near the bottom here might still be lower.

Either way, having a GPA well under 3.0 isn't conducive to being admitted to these schools. I doubt the minority angle would make much difference either.

I think we should polish off the dream stomping and get back on track. :p

I think we should polish off the dream stomping and get back on track. :p

bitternessdemotivator.jpg

Alright, I'm curious:

Texas MD
Step 1: 246
MS3: HPs thus far, H in medicine
Preclinical grades started out blah, significant upward trend to something like 75% As in MS2 blocks, unsure of current class rank ever since third year started
Several ECs
No research

Thanks much.

Alright, I'm curious:

Texas MD
Preclinical grades started out blah, significant upward trend to something like 75% As in MS2 blocks, unsure of current class rank ever since third year started
Several ECs
No research

Thanks much.

Get some research and honor surgery and you're fine.

Alright, I'm curious:

Texas MD
Several ECs
No research

Thanks much.

I was similar to you, bottom quartile M1M2, did well M3 with Hs in Medicine and Neurology, no research, matched at my number one. You'll be fine especially if you get a good radiology letter of rec.

where are you interested in going? Should be competitive for TX programs; UTSW may be a lil tough, though.

Alright, I'm curious:

Texas MD
Several ECs
No research

Thanks much.