FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I was particularly worried about not having straight honors 3rd year. It's so subjective, I hate it.
I'm trying to ask if there is any small project I can do to write an abstract.
Also I'm from the Northeast and would love to be in NYC, is that considered enough ties?

Always best to rack up as many Honors as you can, but I think applicants and adcoms alike realize it's somewhat subjective.

NE sounds close enough to me, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a follow up question, As a east-coaster will i have a better chance applying to oregon and seattle than schools in cali?

Think this trend of decreasing applicants will continue into the next application cycle?

Think this trend of decreasing applicants will continue into the next application cycle?

I'm a 4th year (so what do I know) but I'm predicting a few things will happen:

1. The new IR residencies will be very competitive; on par with surgical sub-specialties like ENT, Ortho. There won't be more than a few hundred IR spots and it seems like most other applicants I talk to say they are very interested in IR. This will siphon off some applicants from diagnostic. (bias=see screenname)

2. There is still a lot of self selection where people below 240 don't even consider rads thinking they're not competitive. More students who are 220s-230s will realize they can get into diagnostic rads and apply for it, which may bring the number of applicants up slightly, but will not really affect competitiveness.

3. As more US MD schools open and start graduating new classes, this will increase the numbers of US MD applicants to both IR and DR (and every field really).

But overall I think the number of applicants to diagnostic rads hit a nadir this cycle and will gradually increase over the next few years (assuming the job market continues to slowly improve). Overall I'm optimistic.

Step 1 scores in the 240 s with good grades will get you into a top 20 program. Numbers have been trending down for a few years now.

I'm a 4th year (so what do I know) but I'm predicting a few things will happen:

1. The new IR residencies will be very competitive; on par with surgical sub-specialties like ENT, Ortho. There won't be more than a few hundred IR spots and it seems like most other applicants I talk to say they are very interested in IR. This will siphon off some applicants from diagnostic. (bias=see screenname)

2. There is still a lot of self selection where people below 240 don't even consider rads thinking they're not competitive. More students who are 220s-230s will realize they can get into diagnostic rads and apply for it, which may bring the number of applicants up slightly, but will not really affect competitiveness.

3. As more US MD schools open and start graduating new classes, this will increase the numbers of US MD applicants to both IR and DR (and every field really).

But overall I think the number of applicants to diagnostic rads hit a nadir this cycle and will gradually increase over the next few years (assuming the job market continues to slowly improve). Overall I'm optimistic.

The job issue is scaring off a lot of med students. Starting salaries published at comparable to IM (probably in a less desireable location too), except radiology residency is twice as long.

I've also heard that #s are way down this year compared to last..

As a follow up question, As a east-coaster will i have a better chance applying to oregon and seattle than schools in cali?
Just do both and be selective with interview invitations. Schedule back-ups in January with plans to cancel. Again, you're an excellent applicant and will be happy come interview offers. It's a question of maybe/maybe not for the UCSFs, Stanfords, and NYUs.

I'm a current MS3 who has an interest in Radiology. Aiming to land at a top southern program (TX, FL, GA, TN, KY, Carolinas, etc):

Med school: NY state school
Mostly HP, few honors in pre-clinical
Step 1: 254
Clinicals - Mostly HP (including IM, surgery pending), one P in psych and one H in peds
AOA: Unsure
Research: Abstract on lung cancer screening program at home institution, poster on refugee care and access issues; working on getting more Rads research, possibly 1-2 posters on a genetics case study
EC: Student advising, founder of finance elective, genetics clinical research, resident advisor, student-run refugee clinic coordinator, few other things

Thoughts on doing aways to demonstrate commitment to moving South? And timeline for Step 2?

I'm a current MS3 who has an interest in Radiology. Aiming to land at a top southern program (TX, FL, GA, TN, KY, Carolinas, etc):

Clinicals - Mostly HP (including IM, surgery pending), one P in psych and one H in peds
Research: Abstract on lung cancer screening program at home institution, poster on refugee care and access issues; working on getting more Rads research, possibly 1-2 posters on a genetics case study
EC: Student advising, founder of finance elective, genetics clinical research, resident advisor, student-run refugee clinic coordinator, few other things

Thoughts on doing aways to demonstrate commitment to moving South? And timeline for Step 2?

Great Step 1, Decent clinical grades, little bit of research. You should still do pretty well, especially in the South which is perhaps the least competitive region (West Coast and East Coast being the most competitive). More rads research couldn't hurt. If your parents still live below the Mason-Dixon you can list their address as your permanent address.

I usually advise against Radiology away rotations, but if you can shine for a month it could help you show that you really do want to live there.

Take Step 2 after submitting your application in September.

I had a nearly identical application to yours, but I went to WVU for medical school. I was not AOA. I basically ended up setting up a geographical cutoff of the southeast and up to Texas to the west. I had more interview invites than I could possibly attend, including some very good programs (UT Houston, UVA (probably the most prestigious), Wake). My only regret was not applying to more programs in Texas. Try to imagine where you want to live, meaning city vs more rural. In the end, UVA was probably a better pick for me when it comes to programs and reputation, but I wanted to live in a city more than I wanted to live in Charlottesville. They were comparable programs other than for IR reputation, so I went with UT Houston.

The point is that you don't have to do anything else to show "commitment to moving south." You might not get an interview at Vanderbilt or Emory without it, but unless you have your heart absolutely set on one of those programs, don't worry about it. If you DO have your heart set, do an away there. Also, for Step 2, I had the concern that my score would be equal or lower, but it wasn't. I delayed taking it until November, so my scores didn't come back until very late. Almost all of the programs I interviewed at were very impressed by my score and commented on it during interviews. Again, the point is that if you can have some dedicated study time, do not be afraid that your score will be lower. Study hard and take it early enough that you can get your report back and impress interviewers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am a spanish IMG who just graduated last year and I am applying to Radiology for the 2016 Match. I found my passion and love for Radiology in my last year of Med school and ever since then I have been looking around everywhere to pursue a residency spot in the US. I am a bright student here with great possibilities to be at any good spanish hospital but I will settle for almost any program in the US, if that is what it takes.

- Med School: Top Spanish med school in Spain
- Step 1: >250
- Step 2: >250
- Step 2 cs: pass on 1st attempt
- Clerkship rotations: great reports, would be equivalent to honors I assume.
- LOR: Great LORs from the chair of Radiology, chief of IR, Chair of IM, Chief of Cardiology and Vice-chair of surgery - all from top spanish hospitals in Madrid. But then again, none are americans.

Did a 1 month shadowing program at a community hospital in rural US, but I did it almost 4 years ago and kind of have lost contact with them. I am not sure if a LOR from the IM attending would be better than the spanish one (since they know me much better)

I know programs prefer US clinical experience but I am very economically limited and I just cannot afford to do a month rotation in the US to get a US-LoR or else I will not have enough money to prepare for the interviews season.

QUESTIONS:
1) I was wondering if more experienced people like you could offer me an honest opinion on my chances to realize my dream and any advice you can possibly give.
2) Also, I would like to know what would increase my chances of matching into a PGY1-internship year - eg: Preliminary vs transitional, Surgery vs IM, location, trasitional year chances...
3) I know US experience is important, but medical spanish and british education are, in my opinion, on par with the american one. But I don't know if that counts. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi, I am a spanish IMG who just graduated last year and I am applying to Radiology for the 2016 Match. I found my passion and love for Radiology in my last year of Med school and ever since then I have been looking around everywhere to pursue a residency spot in the US. I am a bright student here with great possibilities to be at any good spanish hospital but I will settle for almost any program in the US, if that is what it takes.

- Med School: Top Spanish med school in Madrid, Spain
- Step 1: 255
- Step 2: 250
- Step 2 cs: pass on 1st attempt
- Clerkship rotations: great reports, would be equivalent to honors I assume.
- LOR: Great LORs from the chair of Radiology, chief of IR and secretary of spanish society of IR, Chair of IM, Chief of Cardiology and Vice-chair of surgery - all from top spanish hospitals in Madrid. But then again, none are americans.
- Exchange Program at the University of Manchester, UK;
- EC: Trilingual, fluent in english, spanish and conversational chinese
Did a 1 month shadowing program at a community hospital in rural US, but I did it almost 4 years ago and kind of have lost contact with them. I am not sure if a LOR from the IM attending would be better than the spanish one (since they know me much better)

I know programs prefer US clinical experience but I am very economically limited and I just cannot afford to do a month rotation in the US to get a US-LoR or else I will not have enough money to prepare for the interviews season.

QUESTIONS:
1) I was wondering if more experienced people like you could offer me an honest opinion on my chances to realize my dream and any advice you can possibly give.
2) Also, I would like to know what would increase my chances of matching into a PGY1-internship year - eg: Preliminary vs transitional, Surgery vs IM, location, trasitional year chances...
3) I know US experience is important, but medical spanish and british education are, in my opinion, on par with the american one. But I don't know if that counts. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
1. Research would be a big help but you'll have decent interview offers. I don't think you'll have a problem matching as long as there are no immigration paperwork issues.

2. I don't think your chances at a TY will be high, but try and apply nonetheless. If no immigration paperwork issues, you won't have a problem matching at a prelim medicine or surgery year. I wouldn't apply to any until you get a radiology interview, then apply and call them asking for an interview that meshes with your rad date.

3. IDK, I don't have any experience or knowledge to have an opinion on that.

Again, if you can crank out a paper or two, that would help tremendously.

Best of luck.

EDIT: I see your status says MD/PhD student - if thats the case and you have adequate pubs, reach for the stars and you'll do great.

International graduate, require visa

Ecfmg certified
Step 1 240
step 2 251
cs pass first attempt
awaiting step 3 result
Over 6 months of USCE, none in radiology though. ( planning on shadowing someone in radiology soon)
LOR's from surgeon, pathologist and IM
top 25% of class from a reputed med school from India
2 case reports, non radiology
interested in intervention radiology!

What do you guys think are my chances in the coming match 2016!

Thank you

Hi JoshSt,

Thank you very much for your advice. I am not a PhD student, I think that was my mistake. But I will try to maximize my chances seeing if I can get some research done before match season begins.

I really appreciate your support,

All the best.

International graduate, require visa

Ecfmg certified
Step 1 240
step 2 251
cs pass first attempt
awaiting step 3 result
Over 6 months of USCE, none in radiology though. ( planning on shadowing someone in radiology soon)
LOR's from surgeon, pathologist and IM
top 25% of class from a reputed med school from India
2 case reports, non radiology
interested in intervention radiology!

What do you guys think are my chances in the coming match 2016!

Thank you
It'll be an uphill battle, apply for many community rotations and you should be ok.

I don't believe you have a good chance to get interviews or match at the few DIRECT programs.

I'm an MS3 form a mid-tier allopathic school in the southeast who is interested in diagnostic radiology. I would like to preferably match into a top 25 program but I would be more than satisfied with a mid-tier or solid community program. Here are my stats:

-Step 1: 246
-Clinical Grades: Honors in neuro, ob-gyn, family medicine. Pass in surgery and likely a pass in IM(My school does not have high passes). I have peds and psych next.
-Extracurriculars: I have two poster presentations from undergrad and two from med school, all of which are non rads research. I have a rads case report pending. My other activities are relatively routine(volunteering, scholarships, leadership in organizations, etc.)
-I don't know if this matters much in residency applications but I'm also a black male

What are my chances?
Midtier - for sure

Top 25 - Probably

Minority - will neither help nor hurt

Hey guys,

I wanted some honest feedback on my chances in getting into UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, or other Cali schools in the 2016 match cycle in radiology. I'm originally from Cali and my family lives there. However, I go to a mid tier med school in the midwest.

Step 2: Pending..taking in June

Clerkships: Honors(Psych, Surg, OB/gyn), Near honors(peds).... Still waiting on Family(I think I have a good shot at Honors) and IM(no idea)
AOA: It's a crap shoot

Extracurriculars: I'm kind of lacking here. I have a 2nd authorship in a basic science research paper in JBC done before med school that took a couple years to finish. I'm working on a endocrinology chart review paper currently that I'm gonna be 2nd author again. Not much for volunteer work.

Any feedback or suggestions would be great.

Thank you!

Hey guys,

I wanted some honest feedback on my chances in getting into UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, or other Cali schools in the 2016 match cycle in radiology. I'm originally from Cali and my family lives there. However, I go to a mid tier med school in the midwest.

Clerkships: Honors(Psych, Surg, OB/gyn), Near honors(peds).... Still waiting on Family(I think I have a good shot at Honors) and IM(no idea)

Extracurriculars: I'm kind of lacking here. I have a 2nd authorship in a basic science research paper in JBC done before med school that took a couple years to finish. I'm working on a endocrinology chart review paper currently that I'm gonna be 2nd author again. Not much for volunteer work.

Thank you!

Anecdotally, you're still gonna have a really rough time cracking those Cali schools with those scores/grades and not much research, if you're not already on the West coast

Hey guys,

Thank you!

Step 1 is high enough, and if you get honors on everything but peds your grades are high enough. But you really need more research to be competitive at the big name Cali programs. Being from there helps a bit and I think you have a shot Davis, Irvine, USC

Mid Tier Midwestern school, originally from California and would like to go back...(not happening I know)
Step 1: 225
Step 2: 251
3rd year grades: P in IM, Surg, Peds, OBGYN, FM. HP in Psych, Anesthesia. Honors in Rads, Neurology
Quartile: probably 3rd

Got approx half dozen California interviews. Ranked all but one at top of my list. Matched at my #5 which is a solid mid-tier academic place in desirable location (but not california). Program is on p53's "honorable mention" list. Was initially disappointed but happy with location and quality of training I will get. Based on which programs were available in the SOAP I am fairly certain I would have matched in California had I ranked a particular Socal program higher. But this program tested the limit of my desire to return to California. Was it a good idea to rank a California program lower given the difficulties in getting a job in the region? IDK TBD in 5-6 years.

Despite the decreased competitiveness of Rads keep in mind California and west coast in general is still tough. Only 3 of the 150+ SOAP spots were in the west coast.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, are letters of intent something you recommend for applying to aways?

Hi guys, are letters of intent something you recommend for applying to aways?
I would say probably not, though I doubt it would hurt. Much like thank-you notes after interviews: some people swear by them, others write none, and it's honestly probably a wash.

Reactions: 1 users
DO student.
Step 1 - 261
Step 2 - taking before 4th year.
EC: Good volunteering, mission trips, club pres/leaderships.
Research: Ortho Case report published. Participation in few other basic science projects.
3rd year grades: All Hs.

Very conflicted between ortho and rads->IR currently. Wondering what my chances are if I applied MD rads (large cities preferable). Main problem is my LOR's are pretty ortho oriented currently, with only 1 that is generalized but still very positive. Will I still need to get 2 more from RADs docs?

DO student.
Step 1 - 261
Research: Ortho Case report published. Participation in few other basic science projects.

Very conflicted between ortho and rads->IR currently. Wondering what my chances are if I applied MD rads (large cities preferable). Main problem is my LOR's are pretty ortho oriented currently, with only 1 that is generalized but still very positive. Will I still need to get 2 more from RADs docs?

I had no radiology LORs and matched at my #1 which is on the more competitive end of the spectrum.

Also, is it advisable that I take my step 2 this early? I'm already studying for my COMLEX because we have to take it before Sept. But I'm wondering if a Step 2 score will do me any favors or just do more harm than good.

Is there a magic number of programs that one should apply to? I know there isn't any "guarantee" for number of interviews, but judging by my stats, can anyone give me an idea of what would help my chances? Would like to end up n the Midwest.

-DO Student
-Step 1: 241
-Step 2: taken last week
-Clinicals: Honors in IM, Peds, OBGYN, Surgery, and all of my electives; HP in FM; Haven't received Psychiatry yet

Thanks.

Is there a magic number of programs that one should apply to? I know there isn't any "guarantee" for number of interviews, but judging by my stats, can anyone give me an idea of what would help my chances? Would like to end up n the Midwest.

-DO Student
-Step 1: 241
-Step 2: taken last week
-Clinicals: Honors in IM, Peds, OBGYN, Surgery, and all of my electives; HP in FM; Haven't received Psychiatry yet

Thanks.

I am a DO w/ Very similar stats to you. I got 37 interview offers and applied to way too many programs. Matched at my #2 which is a very good academic program.

You will be fine. Get solid LORs - those help a lot!

Also, 7 other classmates matched MD rads this yr. all with similar stats as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a DO w/ Very similar stats to you. I got 37 interview offers and applied to way too many programs. Matched at my #2 which is a very good academic program.

You will be fine. Get solid LORs - those help a lot!

Also, 7 other classmates matched MD rads this yr. all with similar stats as well.

Which preceptors did you get LORs from? Were most of them radiology, or were most clinical just one radiology? Also, is it necessary to go out of my way to find a residency program director to write one, or is it fine from just getting one from a department chair at a community hospital?

Thanks.

Which preceptors did you get LORs from? Were most of them radiology, or were most clinical just one radiology? Also, is it necessary to go out of my way to find a residency program director to write one, or is it fine from just getting one from a department chair at a community hospital?

Thanks.
I had the following:

1. Chairman of IR at one of my away rotations
2. Director of Critical Care at another away
3. a community IR doc (really awesome one)
4. A community surgeon

I think it's good to get some boss LORs. A few interviewers commented on the #1 LOR bc he is well known in the field, and they were impressed by it. The others were all fantastic as well though. I think if you have a nice balance of boss LOR and very personal community docs, you should be fine. Try to get 1 or 2 in radiology, and 1 from medicine and 1 from surgery. That seems to be the trend...

Reactions: 1 user
DO student.
Step 1 - 261

Do Ortho dude. Hospitals will bend over for you.

So I'm posting this on behalf of my significant other. We're trying to gauge her competitiveness for the DC/Maryland/VA area or near-by cities like Philly and NYC.

School: Top 25 on East Cost, MD school
Step 1: ~235
Step 2: ~245
Grades: Honors in Emergency and Psych. Mostly HP/P in everything else.
Research: Multiple summers of undergrad radiology research at NIH (no pubs, 2 posters).
Currently working on 2 mammo research projects (not sure if either will publish before apps go out) + a possible case report to be published.
EC: good involvement- under-served clinic + op smile + dance team.

What are your thoughts on her matching to the likes of UMaryland, JHU, Georgetown, GW, UVA, Jefferson, Temple, Drexel???

Any input would be appreciated!
Take this with a big grain of salt, but I'll try to answer from the perspective of a recently-matched graduate who spent entirely too long on SDN/Doximity/Aunt Minnie over the past year while going through the match process. As a caveat, I know more about the PA/NJ/NY schools than I do the DC/VA/MD ones.

Of the schools you listed:
JHU - no
UVA - no
Jefferson - no
UMaryland - probably not
Georgetown - maybe
GW - maybe
Temple - yes
Drexel - yes

Others to strongly consider:
Penn State Hershey
Einstein Philly
Rutgers Robert Wood
Rutgers New Jersey

There are also millions of community programs between Philly, NJ, and NYC that she would basically be a slam-dunk for matching, but whether she *should* do that is a different question entirely.

School: Top 20
Step 1: Mid 230's
Step 2: Taking soon, NBME practice tests put me between 250-260.
Clerkship Grades: High Pass for all rotations except Honor's for radiology elective, OBGYN, and Medicine
Research: 1 extra-year for research fellowship program where I did radiology-related research. 6 publications by application time, with majority of those being first author and the remaining second author. Number of abstracts and poster, but they don't really count b/c they are all duplicates of my actual pubs.
EC's: Pretty average in this regard.

I really have my heart set on some research oriented programs because I want to go into academics, and want to know if I have a shot at these programs with my less than ideal Step 1 score.

Last edited:
You'll land a top rads program. Apply to basically all the top 25-30 programs you are interested in.

I'd be more worried about internship, though. Apply broadly to TYs and dig around locally for good prelim medicine and TY programs. Remember that you're competing with the dermies for those spots and the list of things TYs are looking for is relatively short -- great Steps and grades are about it.

Thank you for this information. Yeah, I've been warned to take my PGY1 applications seriously.

School: Top 15
Step 1: Low 230's
Step 2: Haven't taken yet.
Clerkship Grades: 2 H's, 3 HP's, 3 P's
Research: PhD non Radiology. 11 papers (6 1st author), 2 book chapters, 8 posters
EC's: Minimal. Leadership position at Student Run Clinic

Would like to be in Boston, Northeast, DC, MD, VA, or NC at a research heavy program. Would really like to end up in Boston by far though b/c of family.

Worried about Step score and 3rd year grades.

Thanks for the input.

School: Low-mid tier allopathic school near NYC
Step 1: High 240s
Step 2: Haven't taken yet
Preclinicals: Mostly HP
Clerkship Grades: HP OB/Gyn, hoping to at least HP everything else and maybe honor medicine and/or surgery (FWIW, I've been finding it difficult to do well enough to get honors so far)
Research: M1 summer basic science research project (dead end, no pubs)
ECs: Minimal

Needless to say, I'm probably not going to be competitive at any top programs. However, assuming that I can HP everything with maybe honors in medicine and/or surgery and also get a case report published, would I have a reasonable shot at a low-mid tier program on Long Island or in NYC? In an ideal situation, I would prefer to match at Stony Brook or Winthrop since I would be able to live at home but any other reasonable program on Long Island or in NYC in a relatively safe location would be fine as well. Worst case scenario, I would probably be willing to go as far north as Albany.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice.

Last edited:
School: mid tier allopathic school in the Midwest
Step 1: mid 230s
step 2: taking it at the end of July
Clinical grades: P in OB/GYN, surgery, peds, HP in psych, fam med, neurology, H in rad onc, still haven't gotten my IM grade back, but most likely P
Research: Helped with a Case Report presentation and rad onc abstract, working on a paper for surg onc, finished a community health project, but no pubs
ECs: Did some, but not a lot. Nothing in radiology. I was treasurer of a student group and co-coordinator for a couple of events

I'm originally from California and I want to go back, but that doesn't seem like a real possibility. Not sure what my chances are at matching in any radiology program, but I'm thinking about applying to the west coast and midwest.

Any input?

School: Top 25

Step 1: High 250s

Step 2: Low 250s

Preclinicals: 50/50 Ps and Hs

Clerkship Grades: Honors Medicine, Psychiatry, Neurology. High Pass Family Medicine. Pass OB/Gyn, Pediatrics, Surgery.

Research: Undergraduate Publication. Presentation at School’s Research Day for Research from M1 (Rads related). Currently doing Radiology Chart Review.

ECs: Women’s Shelter Mental Health Volunteering, Organized Healthcare Conference, Marketing Research for Imaging Company. Won Medical Business Plan Competition.

Want to match at a top 25 program. Are my clinical grades a dealbreaker? Home state is in the south, and looking to match anywhere in the east coast or southeast, but I would be happy anywhere.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

School: unranked midwest allopathic
Step 1: 250
Step 2: taking next month
Preclinicals: mix of HP/P, with a couple of H
Clinicals: P in everything except HP in Ob, H in Psych, H in Rads
Research: a couple of pubs, Radiology related
EC's: a few minor activities

Do I have a shot at mid tier academic programs or west coast community programs? I screwed up my third year due to doing badly on the shelf exams, even though I got great comments on my evals. I would love to go to the west coast and have regional ties there, but I realize my chances are very slim.

Muchos gracias

I had same grades and step 1 > 20 pts lower than yours with 250+ step 2. Also had regional CA ties. Got interviews at 3 community CA programs and 2 university. Ranked all but 1 CA program for my top 4. Matched at my #5 which is OOS. There was one community CA program that I ranked lower than some good university programs outside of CA because it was just depressing and quality of education seemed poor and not a priority.

Hi, I'm sort of a unusual applicant. I'm applying to ENT, but want to do radiology as a backup.

School: Top 50
Step 1: Mid 230's
Step 2: Not taken yet
Clerkship Grades: High Pass for all rotations except honors in IM
Research: 4 publications, 10+ presentations, multiple abstracts (all ENT and plastic surgery)
Kicker: No time for a radiology subi and probably won't have a radiology letter (will have some great, personal, IM letters though which can attest to my work ethic)

Do I even have a shot? Will I get interviews? Aiming for some middle tier programs.