FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about practicing physicians looking to switch? Any academic attendings can PM the answer if they want

Members don't see this ad.

Curious for some thoughts on this upcoming year.

School: St. George's University (Foreign)
Step 1: 250
Step 2: Pending
Clinical: Honor is IM and Pych.
Research: Nothing publish not for the lack of trying.
LOR: Probably 1-2 strong Chairman Letter. Hoping to get one in Radiology.

Non us IMG
Colombian medical school
Step 1 : 243
Step 2 cs and ck not done yet

I can try both ways
1) try to apply with a yog of 2-3 years
2) or apply with a yog of 6 years and a homeland rad residency?

Wich will increase my chances?
No trying to match at john Hopkins .

Members don't see this ad :)
What are my realistic chances of rads for US MD? Last year, I took step 1 and failed. I was in peds rotation and decided to withdraw. I could have completed the peds rotation but there was also the risk of failing the subject board and getting an F grade. I took the safe option and withdrew. I studied for 3 months and got a 210ish. I talked to the dean’s office and did 4 months of EM research (currently in peer review) and started rotations with the next class. Mostly Ps and HPs in the rotations.

I should have my CK scores (averaging upper 220s on nbme) by the time I submit ERAS and CS in oct. If I apply to maybe 160 out of 180 possible programs (leave top programs out), can I expect a few interviews from community and/or average programs?

Last edited:
Hey guys I would like help on knowing my chances. Everyone tells me I'll get in somewhere but I'm getting nervous. possibly because of my awful class rank or that I've barely done my ERAs or that none of my letters are in or maybe all of the above.

School rank: No idea but probably middle of the pack or lower.
Step 1: 235
Step2: 256
Grades: awful because I'm a huge slacker. H in psychiatry and Radiology and P everything else.
Class rank 30-50 percentile
Last research done was in college sophomore year with 2 pubs. I did basic research again during first year summer but no publication.
Extracurriculars: I do a little here and there. Nothing spectacular.

So whats my chances guys? Should my list of schools be tons of lower reputation places. I was going to apply to maybe about 50 schools. 20 "safeties" 20 targets and 10 reaches.

If aiming for a relatively high-ranking academic program in the midwest/east coast (UVa, MIR, Northwestern, UMich, UPenn, Duke), what are the "expectations" so to speak of being a solid applicant in their quite competitive applicant pool? E.g. what sort of step score to aim for, how much research is considered enough (and does it have to be in radiology)? I know things can vary a lot by location and program, just trying to figure out early on so I don't have to scramble later trying to boost my chances.

If aiming for a relatively high-ranking academic program in the midwest/east coast (UVa, MIR, Northwestern, UMich, UPenn, Duke), what are the "expectations" so to speak of being a solid applicant in their quite competitive applicant pool? E.g. what sort of step score to aim for, how much research is considered enough (and does it have to be in radiology)? I know things can vary a lot by location and program, just trying to figure out early on so I don't have to scramble later trying to boost my chances.

Northwestern and UVA are not in the same category as MIR, UPenn, Duke and UMich. The latter programs look for applicants with excellent stats (250+, great grades, aoa, connections, etc.) with considerable research. You could probably match at NW or UVA with good stats (240+, good grades, etc.) and little research. Your research should be in radiology. Contact a radiology attending at your school ASAP and see if they have any active research projects.

Northwestern and UVA are not in the same category as MIR, UPenn, Duke and UMich. The latter programs look for applicants with excellent stats (250+, great grades, aoa, connections, etc.) with considerable research. You could probably match at NW or UVA with good stats (240+, good grades, etc.) and little research. Your research should be in radiology. Contact a radiology attending at your school ASAP and see if they have any active research projects.

Thanks - I will keep that in mind. What other programs are on a similar level as UVA/Northwestern? I assume the rankings on Doximity are not the most accurate.

Thanks - I will keep that in mind. What other programs are on a similar level as UVA/Northwestern? I assume the rankings on Doximity are not the most accurate.

Actually, Doximity is pretty accurate when it comes to looking at the competition at the top places imho. The places that are in the same league as UVA/NW are in the top 15-25 range (Emory, Indiana, Wisconsin, etc.). Of course, there is a lot of regional bias when applying to these programs. For example, if you're from the Midwest you're more likely to receive interviews from Midwest programs.

Can I ask a question please?

Truth to this. Duke rejection, Penn waitlist. 260s Step 1 and 2, AOA, but no Radiology research.

Counterpoint, 240s Step 1, no AOA, radiology research with pubs - Duke and UVA invites. Penn rejection.
Seems to be a bit of a crapshoot, apply broadly.

I'm shocked you got a Duke invite with no AOA. I thought that was a requirement there.

On a separate note, I think there's a lot of regional bias in the interview process. If you're interested in going outside of your current region, you'll want to make that clear in some way during the application/interview process. Don't be afraid to email the programs that waitlisted you to let them know you really are interested in them.

Members don't see this ad :)
School: Middle tier
Step 1: 219
Step 2: Haven't taken yet.
Clerkship Grades: So far, High pass in peds, pass in psych, pass in OB/GYN
Research: first author on a chart review, also presented said paper. Working on another pub or two.
EC's: Lots of sports (frisbee, football, weight lifting), volunteer at lots of student run clinics, was a leader of one of the clinics 2nd year.

I am really looking to match in the midwest (Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, in that order). My wife is doing ophtho (she got a 241 on step, similar clerkship grades). She is from Detroit, and I have family in Chicago. We aren't too picky about location, as long as we are together. I am looking to do an interventional fellowship afterwards though, so obviously I'll rank programs that I think are matching their fellows better.

Thanks for any advice :)

School: Top 50
Step 1: high 230s
Clerkship Grades: So far, HP in Surgery, Medicine, Neurology, Radiology. Probably HP in OB GYN
Research: Did some research during M1 summer in ophthalmology. Presented at my medical schools research day.
EC's: President of Anesthesiology club, besides that just compete in powerlifting if that counts.

I know its early, but curious what kind of things I should be doing next? Also I know its early, but what kind of programs would I be competitive for? Looking in NW and SE mainly.

Thanks!

Male
School: Top 40 MD school in the NorthEast
Clerkship Grades: Mostly HPs
Research: 2 Radiology Abstracts, 1 Presentation
EC's: President of Anesthesiology club, programmed as a hobby

I know I will match somewhere I am really shooting for a Texas school (UTSW, Baylor, UT Houston) because I am a texas resident or U Miami. Reasonable expectation?

Male

I know I will match somewhere I am really shooting for a Texas school (UTSW, Baylor, UT Houston) because I am a texas resident or U Miami. Reasonable expectation?

Can't speak to Texas, but you can get a UMiami invite with those stats. Make sure programs not in the NE know why you're applying/interested in being a particular region as you might get screened otherwise.

Male

With the overall quality of applicants we've been getting the last couple of years, you have a shot at interviewing with UT Houston and (probably) Baylor. I can't speak for UTSW. Once you get the interview, the playing field is fairly level. Just be a normal human.

With the overall quality of applicants we've been getting the last couple of years, you have a shot at interviewing with UT Houston and (probably) Baylor. I can't speak for UTSW. Once you get the interview, the playing field is fairly level. Just be a normal human.
I agree. I think you have to display some commitment to those institutions through email. I applied with 260s and great extracurriculars. Got interviews at Baylor and UTSW, but nothing from UT-Houston. Had some classmates that got interviews there, along with NW, IU, and Ohio State. I got rejections from all of those places.

I agree. I think you have to display some commitment to those institutions through email. I applied with 260s and great extracurriculars. Got interviews at Baylor and UTSW, but nothing from UT-Houston. Had some classmates that got interviews there, along with NW, IU, and Ohio State. I got rejections from all of those places.

Weird. The application process is just strange.

How do you know that?

Experience with seeing the applicants/knowing my co-residents.

Weird. The application process is just strange.

Experience with seeing the applicants/knowing my co-residents.

Something deserves clarification.

There is a perception of a level playing field at the interview stage probably because there is significant self-selection prior to the interview and also sometimes selection by the program, in the case of places like Northwestern, Indiana, and Ohio State, which also rejected me with 260s and great extracurriculars.

This kind of level playing field does not imply, however, that if you somehow make it past the self-selection and selection processes, that the only thing to separate you from the other interviewees is your interview performance. If your application happens to be much better (eg, you are a strong applicant that applied overly broadly because of neuroticism or the couples match) or worse (eg, courtesy interview extended because of people who pulled strings for you) than everyone else's, I hope that still matters. What do you think?

School: Top 30 in the Northeast
AOA: No
Clerkship grades: Failed 2 clerkships that I have to redo (ob/gyn & peds), honors in everything else
Step I: 244
Step II: Not yet taken
Research: 2 Rads publications
ECs: Started a tech company and am an advisor for a med-tech company
LORs: One from the Radiology clerkship director. One from another radiologist I did research with

What can I expect?

School: Top 30 in the Northeast
AOA: No
Clerkship grades: Failed 2 clerkships that I have to redo (ob/gyn & peds), honors in everything else
Step I: 244
Step II: Not yet taken
Research: 2 Rads publications
ECs: Started a tech company and am an advisor for a med-tech company
LORs: One from the Radiology clerkship director. One from another radiologist I did research with

What can I expect?
Your step score, rads pubs, and coming from a MD school will come a long way. I would expect the majority of interviews coming from mid-tier and low-tier schools.

Something deserves clarification.

There is a perception of a level playing field at the interview stage probably because there is significant self-selection prior to the interview and also sometimes selection by the program, in the case of places like Northwestern, Indiana, and Ohio State, which also rejected me with 260s and great extracurriculars.

This kind of level playing field does not imply, however, that if you somehow make it past the self-selection and selection processes, that the only thing to separate you from the other interviewees is your interview performance. If your application happens to be much better (eg, you are a strong applicant that applied overly broadly because of neuroticism or the couples match) or worse (eg, courtesy interview extended because of people who pulled strings for you) than everyone else's, I hope that still matters. What do you think?

Something that really matters at our program is the applicants willingness to come to the program.

We have a very large program. 13 residents per year. Our PD wants every single one of those 13 residents to be as happy as possible, even if it means taking a "less qualified candidate." Whatever that means.

To start with, candidates have to be pretty good on paper to even get an interview. If they come to the interview, and aren't weird as all get out, and have a legitimate reason for wanting to come here (they live here, hometown is near by, family is here, spouse has a job here/will have a job here, etc), they will move up on the rank list. It seems like our goal is to make happy residents, and being good residents follows their happiness.

Reactions: 1 user
-Texas allopathic student
-Step 1: 248
-Step 2: not taken yet
-Research: undergrad, 2 semesters, no pubs, dead end. Nothing else
-EC: some volunteering with 2 previous leadership positions.
-HP in IM and OBGYN, P in psych.
-No letters yet!
-Mostly HP in pre-clinicals with like 2 Passes. Honors just seems to elude me time and time again.

My main question is do I need actual med school research w/ publications if I want to stay in Texas or match to a Florida program. I've heard no but I just want more opinions.

-Texas allopathic student
-Step 1: 248
-Step 2: not taken yet
-Research: undergrad, 2 semesters, no pubs, dead end. Nothing else
-EC: some volunteering with 2 previous leadership positions.
-HP in IM and OBGYN, P in psych.
-No letters yet!
-Mostly HP in pre-clinicals with like 2 Passes. Honors just seems to elude me time and time again.

My main question is do I need actual med school research w/ publications if I want to stay in Texas or match to a Florida program. I've heard no but I just want more opinions.
I'd say if you keep the second half of the year in the HP range or better (and take that P in Psych as a badge of honor -- I sure did), you're in great shape. Just try to get a couple strong letters in IM/surgery/(rads elective). No need for research. You won't be cracking top-10 research powerhouses no matter what you do from this point forward, and most other programs see research as a strong positive EC but nowhere near being a requirement.

I'd say if you keep the second half of the year in the HP range or better (and take that P in Psych as a badge of honor -- I sure did), you're in great shape. Just try to get a couple strong letters in IM/surgery/(rads elective). No need for research. You won't be cracking top-10 research powerhouses no matter what you do from this point forward, and most other programs see research as a strong positive EC but nowhere near being a requirement.
Thanks! I don't care to be at a prestigious program, just want to match somewhere in the south. That being said, is there a number of programs an applicant like me to should apply to?

Last edited:
Currently M3
School: Unranked Midwest allopathic
AOA: No, still have chance for senior AOA
Step 1: 254
Step 2: Not taken yet, pretty much guaranteed 260+ (I am much stronger at Step 2 material than I was Step 1)
Clerkship grades: honors in surgery, medicine, OBGYN and FM, pending psych and peds
EC: Student Council president, numerous volunteering/interest group leadership
Research: One poster presentation (not rads)
Letters: One from vascular surgeon and one from internist, whom I worked with on my core rotations
Red flags: Numerous failed preclinical courses and repeated M2

I really want to stay in the Midwest. What are my chances at research-heavy programs (Cleveland Clinic, Northwestern, UMich, UPenn)? Any advice on what to do moving forward?

MS3
School: Top 20
Grades: In this order: Peds (P) Fam med (H) Surg (HP) Neuro (H) Psych (H)
Step 1: 251
Step 2: Should I delay?
Research: (no first author publications)
1 publication from undergrad
1 publication from med school (submitted. basic science. maybe nature?)
working on rads research + case report
4 poster presentations
Red flags: Pass in peds, no volunteer work.

Chance at UNC, Duke, U. Mich? Other schools to consider?
Shot at integrated IR?

Would really appreciate any info. Trying to coordinate with SO about which schools to apply to (not couples matching)

We have very similar grades and step 1 scores. I would take step 2 right after eras, you'll have scores back in time to push if you end up doing well. I didn't get a Duke invite, didn't apply to the other too. With those scores I was able to get a handful of top 10 places on the doxmity list, and most of the places I applied to which were ranked 10-30.

MSIV
School: Top 40-50
Step 1: 210-215
Step 2: 250-255
Preclinical grades: All P's
3rd year: couple Honors, pass in surgery and medicine
4th year: all Honors so far including medicine sub-I and my surgical subspecialty rotations
Research: no rads pubs. 1 first author in surgical subspecialty, couple posters, abstract, grand rounds talks

So I'm a fourth year that applied for a surgical subspecialty ending the season with only 4 interviews. I'm prepared to likely not match in said surgical subspecialty. Thinking ahead for a plan B, sortof wondering what my odds are to find a spot through the SOAP at any academic program that has unfilled rads spots. I know nothing is guaranteed but wondering how feasible it would be to find a spot. How about going on to a prelim med/surg program and looking for a pgy2 opening while in my intern year.

I can get a strong rads letter in time for the SOAP. Thanks for the advice!

We have very similar grades and step 1 scores. I would take step 2 right after eras, you'll have scores back in time to push if you end up doing well. I didn't get a Duke invite, didn't apply to the other too. With those scores I was able to get a handful of top 10 places on the doxmity list, and most of the places I applied to which were ranked 10-30.
Thanks for the response! That's impressive! Good luck with the match. Do you know where you want to go?

School: Middle tier
Step 1: 219
Clerkship Grades: So far, High pass in peds, pass in psych, pass in OB/GYN
Research: first author on a chart review, also presented said paper. Working on another pub or two.
EC's: Lots of sports (frisbee, football, weight lifting), volunteer at lots of student run clinics, was a leader of one of the clinics 2nd year.

I am really looking to match in the midwest (Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, in that order). My wife is doing ophtho (she got a 241 on step, similar clerkship grades). She is from Detroit, and I have family in Chicago. We aren't too picky about location, as long as we are together. I am looking to do an interventional fellowship afterwards though, so obviously I'll rank programs that I think are matching their fellows better.

Thanks for any advice :)

Update: Pass in Internal Medicine. FML :(

MSIV
School: Top 40-50
Step 1: 210-215
Step 2: 250-255
Preclinical grades: All P's
3rd year: couple Honors, pass in surgery and medicine
4th year: all Honors so far including medicine sub-I and my surgical subspecialty rotations
Research: no rads pubs. 1 first author in surgical subspecialty, couple posters, abstract, grand rounds talks

So I'm a fourth year that applied for a surgical subspecialty ending the season with only 4 interviews. I'm prepared to likely not match in said surgical subspecialty. Thinking ahead for a plan B, sortof wondering what my odds are to find a spot through the SOAP at any academic program that has unfilled rads spots. I know nothing is guaranteed but wondering how feasible it would be to find a spot. How about going on to a prelim med/surg program and looking for a pgy2 opening while in my intern year.

I can get a strong rads letter in time for the SOAP. Thanks for the advice!

I could've written this same question myself last year. I was applying for a super competitive surgical subspecialty out of med school...even took an extra year to do more away-rotations, but to no avail. My step 1 and 2 were both sub-par, especially for said surgical subspecialty. I SOAPed into a prelim surgery year at a strong gen-surg program, yet still wasn't able to secure a match in that specialty.

I too went into match week basically knowing I wasn't going to match. However, rads was my number one consideration for an alternate specialty, so I hoped for a glimpse of a chance for SOAP. Sure enough there were some really good spots still open. I applied to them and ended up getting a few phone calls from programs that first night of SOAP. I had great phone interviews and even called back my favorite program the next day (you can contact them once they first contact you in SOAP) to let them know that if they extended an offer I would guarantee my taking it. In SOAP they go out on a limb to send an offer, so showing intent in that situation can sometimes help. Sure enough, I got the offer from that program on the first round and accepted it.

Side note: I really think radiology was a much better pathway for me than the surgical subspecialty I had been pursuing and am so so so glad things happened this way.

Reactions: 1 user
School: mediocre school in northeast
Step 1: 246
Step 2: pending
Clinical: all passes (H/HP/P system with majority getting passes, pretty competitive for HP/H)
Research: currently working on rads project, have a publication in a different field that is radiology-heavy
EC: helped run a clinic for the homeless, tons of teaching/tutoring experience
LOR: I have a medicine letter saying I was basically intern level during 3rd year

WAMC at decent programs ranked in the 30-60 range ish (doximity or whatever ranking system)? I'd like to keep all fellowship options open

Clinical: all passes (H/HP/P system with majority getting passes, pretty competitive for HP/H)
Research: currently working on rads project, have a publication in a different field that is radiology-heavy
LOR: I have a medicine letter saying I was basically intern level during 3rd year

WAMC at decent programs ranked in the 30-60 range ish (doximity or whatever ranking system)? I'd like to keep all fellowship options open

Very High. Radiology is still very competitive at the top 10-15 programs, but after that the competition drops off somewhat. There is some regional bias for programs in the range you quoted though (they have limited interviews and want to give them to people who are likely to come there) so apply broadly in your area and contact programs outside your region explaining why you want to go there (any family connections, previously lived there, etc).

Very High. Radiology is still very competitive at the top 10-15 programs, but after that the competition drops off somewhat. There is some regional bias for programs in the range you quoted though (they have limited interviews and want to give them to people who are likely to come there) so apply broadly in your area and contact programs outside your region explaining why you want to go there (any family connections, previously lived there, etc).

Thanks for the reply! I forgot to mention my class rank will be bottom 50%. Don't know if that changes your answer

Thanks for the reply! I forgot to mention my class rank will be bottom 50%. Don't know if that changes your answer

It's not ideal, especially if you're saying that your school doesn't have a strong national reputation. It probably depends where in that bottom 50% you fall. If there was any way you could H/HP some rotations and sneak into that second quartile, that would help your chances. If not, look for other ways to strengthen your app. Research is a good way if it's leads to publications. Your step I will at least get your app a look, so add some things that will distract them from the class rank.

School: Top 50-60
Clerkship Grades: 5 Honors including radiology and medicine, 1 HP (2 rotations left)
Research: 2 years experience in basic sciences, 1 publication, 2 posters (research was not related to radiology)
EC's: Minimal

Would like to be in the Philadelphia area but NE in general is OK with me.

What are my chances? Any recommendations? Should I take step 2 CK before applying?

Thanks for the input.

Your chances are good. You have a chance at many of the top programs in the NE and would be very competitive for that second tier of schools in the 20-50 range. If you could do any type of research in radiology, even if you didn't have time to get something published, that would demonstrate your interest in the field and might help you get some looks from the larger research programs (UPenn, top Boston and NYC programs).

Your grades are excellent. Do you know what your class rank is or what quartile you are in? Your step I is good, but not great. If you are confident you can score well on Step II CK, you should take it before applying, but know that you will have to score at least 10 (and preferably 15) or more points higher for it to be considered an improvement. If not, check specific programs you are interested in to make sure they don't require Step II to apply.

Thanks for the input. Yes I am trying to join a research project in radiology but unfortunately it is not as easy as I thought as my school's radiology department is not very research oriented. I will do my best in that regard. I don't know my class rank but I can guess that it is between 20-40 percentile. I unfortunately can't guarantee anything when it comes to board exams. I get very stressed when I take the real exam that I always drop when compared to my average NBMEs so if I keep in mind that I have to get 10-15 points higher then I most likely won't get it! Do you recommend doing an away rotation? Also if you don't mind me asking, which schools in the NE are considered to be in the 20-50 range?

Last edited:
The doximity rankings, while imperfect, provide a decent rough sketch of where programs rank relative to each other. I'd check those out to help you make your list. Do aways if there are 1-2 programs you are dying to go to and if you are confident that you can perform very well during the rotation. I chose not to do aways because I am naturally a more quite, shy person and that is not conducive to doing well on aways.

The doximity rankings, while imperfect, provide a decent rough sketch of where programs rank relative to each other. I'd check those out to help you make your list. Do aways if there are 1-2 programs you are dying to go to and if you are confident that you can perform very well during the rotation. I chose not to do aways because I am naturally a more quite, shy person and that is not conducive to doing well on aways.
I am quite shy as well so I don't think an away would be any good for me either. Thanks again for your help

School: Top 50-60
Clerkship Grades: 5 Honors including radiology and medicine, 1 HP (2 rotations left)
Research: 2 years experience in basic sciences, 1 publication, 2 posters (research was not related to radiology)
EC's: Minimal

Would like to be in the Philadelphia area but NE in general is OK with me.

What are my chances? Any recommendations? Should I take step 2 CK before applying?

Thanks for the input.

Interesting that the last 2 posters of their stats have the same step 1 score with some research (but not a ton) but have largely different outlooks because of 3rd year grades which are still a mystery to me even now as an intern. It's tough to tell what those honors or passes really mean when comparing different medical schools

Interesting that the last 2 posters of their stats have the same step 1 score with some research (but not a ton) but have largely different outlooks because of 3rd year grades which are still a mystery to me even now as an intern. It's tough to tell what those honors or passes really mean when comparing different medical schools

I agree clerkship grades are very subjective. I don't know what "mediocre school in northeast" translates to in terms of rankings or national prestige, but all passes at a school that is not known to be particularly competitive doesn't look great. Residencies know that a lot of selection happens at the time people apply to medical school, so the last ranked student at Harvard Medical School is likely viewed as equal, or even superior, to one of the best students at a school outside the top 50. Med students from schools outside the top 50 can, and do, get very prestigious residency positions in all specialities, but to do so they need to really excel and be at the top of their class, whereas for someone from a top 20 school, simply being in the top 50% is enough to get a look from most residency programs.

Is there a consensus on how to schedule 3rd year rotations if you're interested in applying to rads? I was considering doing surgery or medicine first to get them out of the way and learn a lot of foundational stuff, but I'm a little uncertain if having them super early would work against me in terms of getting good grades and letters.

From what I understand, a good letter from surgery and medicine are essential, is that correct? Should I try to put them off for that reason, or would it be manageable to try to do them first and still get good letters?

Top 3 clerkships for radiology: surgery, medicine, OB

I would start off on peds to get an inpatient experience before going into those