Faulty COMLEX-USA Level 2-CE scores being recalculated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kbirley

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This announcement is on the NBOME website:
COMLEX-USA Level 2-CE scores released on 8/14/14 for the new testing cycle that commenced in June 2014 are undergoing a comprehensive psychometric review. A further update will be released before 9/2/14.

Our sincerest apologies for the anxieties and concerns that this has caused. We remain committed to the highest integrity and our trusted mission of protecting the public.

Does anyone know anything about this review?

Thanks!
Kevin

Members don't see this ad.

I hope it means we will all end up with a revised (higher) score. But realistically I bet they won't actually change our scores after their review.

I hope it means we will all end up with a revised (higher) score. But realistically I bet they won't actually change our scores after their review.
Agreed, most likely just lip service to address the multiple complaints

Members don't see this ad :)
It means they're doing a "review" hoping it will appease all these (rightfully) pissed off 4th year's.

I put "review" in quotations because that's what you do when you are just going through the motions.

Nothing will come of this, and the scores will stay the same. My COMSAE D was 610 the other day, I'm expecting something in the low 500's

Put your trust in the USMLE people, ACGME programs will thank you for it.

Edit: Just got an email from ERAS stating the NBOME will not release scores until they have done this psychometric review. This was also send out to PD's.

Perhaps there is something to this?

Last edited:
Minor clerical error - nothing to see - move along, folks.

It means they're doing a "review" hoping it will appease all these (rightfully) pissed off 4th year's.

I put "review" in quotations because that's what you do when you are just going through the motions.

Nothing will come of this, and the scores will stay the same. My COMSAE D was 610 the other day, I'm expecting something in the low 500's

Put your trust in the USMLE people, ACGME programs will thank you for it.

Edit: Just got an email from ERAS stating the NBOME will not release scores until they have done this psychometric review. This was also send out to PD's.

Perhaps there is something to this?

Yeah they may actually do something (still not completely holding my breath). ERAS has frozen the ability to send out COMLEX scores, atm.

In the last few years I have been lurking on these boards, have never actually seen anyone post about manual score recheck coming in with a higher or passing score. Remain doubtful, but hopeful.

Thought I'd sign up and chime in with my $0.02...

There's more going on with those scores than just a change to the standard deviation...unless I unknowingly took a blow to the head the morning of my COMLEX in early July.

COMSAE score range: 545-562
Lowest COMAT standard score: 101
8/14/14 report for COMLEX 2-CE score: 394

Mad as hell!

Reactions: 1 user
I also experienced something similar. I took COMSAE A early on in my studying and got ~530. The last two COMSAE's I took after a month of studying were ~750 (C) and ~640 (B). I received ~540 on the real test. Frustrating for sure. I thought something seemed weird but decided challenging my score would be a waste of $50.

I doubt scores will change at all.

I thought something seemed weird but decided challenging my score would be a waste of $50.
A friend of mine did that immediately after getting his results. He was refunded his $50 back on Monday, with a note from the NBOME saying they reviewing the scores.

Reactions: 1 user
My score went up 80 points. Heard another person went up almost 100.

Wow, am curious how many other peoples scores changed. Good for you guys, but also shows that the NBOME admits to fawking up and has gotta make people wonder how much they have screwed up before.

Went from doing worse than my Step 1 score to an improvement over Step 1.

I'll take my $200 and pass GO, thanks.

Step 3 and then I'll never have to do this again!!!!

So I just checked my scores and nothing changed, considering I took them way early. I'm reading that the new average for this year will be 540? This means that before the change I was above average, now I am below? Wtf?

I'm curious to know what is the highest COMLEX score you've heard of anyone receiving (please specify Level). I just called NBOME out of curiosity, and they confirmed that 999 is the highest possible score. I had previously thought maybe it was around 800!

I'm curious to know what is the highest COMLEX score you've heard of anyone receiving (please specify Level). I just called NBOME out of curiosity, and they confirmed that 999 is the highest possible score. I had previously thought maybe it was around 800!

Sweet bump.

data.aacom.org/media/DO_GME_match_2012.pdf
data.aacom.org/media/DO_GME_match_2011.pdf