Favorite reflex hammers and penlights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artsydoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anything else anyone really likes in their pockets?

Members don't see this ad.

Tromner is my favorite hammer. Great weight and handling. The small rubber tip is great for eliciting
myokymia.

Regarding penlights, you want a small portable and BRIGHT light to check pupillary responses. These days there
are many great (and inexpensive) LED penlights to choose from.

More important is having a good (and bright) ophthalmoscope at the bedside. I like the Welch-Allen scopes with
3.5 V batteries. I've got the WA monocular indirect/direct scope and swear by it.

Members don't see this ad :)
just got my MDF tromner... yeah it's pretty much perfect for gross and subtle reflexes alike...

I'm pretty set on Trommer for my hammer. Need a good penlight. I have the cheapo penlights now. I remember a neuro resident back when i was an m3 had like a green/blue light for people with dark eyes, it was great. any idea where i can find something like that? I'm an intern now and want to fine tune PE stuff.

MDF Tromner. My attending gave me his during my first Neurology rotation. Still use it everyday. Hope I never lose that sucker.

Reactions: 1 user