Favorite responses upon hearing you are going to vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That made me stop, too

In his defense, most of his clients are not well-educated or well-spoken. But in reality, he is an A hole. He also said:

"You should go to Pharmacy school. That's a great career for a woman."

Disgusting dude, all around. Will always make more money than me. Forever.

Unless he was an absolutely amazing dentist or the only game in town, I think he'd stop getting my money after telling me specific careers that match my vagina. And calling my choice "cute".

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thought you guys might appreciate this. I'm a first year med student, but I was split between vet med/human med for a long time in undergrad, so I worked as an assistant in a small animal clinic for a year. Last semester during anatomy lab, my tank mates and I started talking about vet med, and kinda out of nowhere one of my tankmates started bashing it ("lol did you know they intubate dogs during surgery? lol it's almost like real medicine huhuhuh ridiculous"). I kind of snapped and told him that it IS real medicine and, upon graduation, he will basically be a veterinarian who specializes in one species, which pissed him off/shut him up. This same guy also got on my wrong side the first day of lab by telling me that spending money on animal healthcare is a huge waste (because it "could go to orphans instead," like wtf?), and informed me that if he had a dog that had to take Benadryl every day he would have it euthanized. We... didn't have a great relationship.

Reactions: 3 users
Went to the dentist yesterday.

Dentist: you seem educated. Did you go to college?
Me: I did. I'm going to vet school in August.
Dentist: vet school? That's cute.
Me: what's so cute about four years and $300,000 of debt???

In the end I got one free filling.

Wow...It always comes up at my dentist office too but I've never had that response. They usually look at my teeth and ask if I'm a huge coffee/tea/soda drinker because I always have staining on the back even though I whiten my teeth every now and then. I mention that I'm in vet school and then they completely understand.

Wow...It always comes up at my dentist office too but I've never had that response. They usually look at my teeth and ask if I'm a huge coffee/tea/soda drinker because I always have staining on the back even though I whiten my teeth every now and then. I mention that I'm in vet school and then they completely understand.

Haha, my "tell" is grinding my teeth. They always ask if I've been under a lot of stress lately. :laugh:

It always comes up with my dentist too, but it's because she was actually a vet tech before she became a dentist. She always remembers that I'm the one that's going to vet school, and she's cool to talk about it with.

Thought you guys might appreciate this. I'm a first year med student, but I was split between vet med/human med for a long time in undergrad, so I worked as an assistant in a small animal clinic for a year. Last semester during anatomy lab, my tank mates and I started talking about vet med, and kinda out of nowhere one of my tankmates started bashing it ("lol did you know they intubate dogs during surgery? lol it's almost like real medicine huhuhuh ridiculous"). I kind of snapped and told him that it IS real medicine and, upon graduation, he will basically be a veterinarian who specializes in one species, which pissed him off/shut him up. This same guy also got on my wrong side the first day of lab by telling me that spending money on animal healthcare is a huge waste (because it "could go to orphans instead," like wtf?), and informed me that if he had a dog that had to take Benadryl every day he would have it euthanized. We... didn't have a great relationship.

Ahaha, he probably had a friend/classmate/family member who always one upped him who was pre-vet. I know a med student juuuust like that.

It always comes up with my dentist too, but it's because she was actually a vet tech before she became a dentist. She always remembers that I'm the one that's going to vet school, and she's cool to talk about it with.
Haha, my "tell" is grinding my teeth. They always ask if I've been under a lot of stress lately. :laugh:
Haha. I told them once how the left side of my jaw pops a lot and they suggested it might be TMJ related and that I should decrease my stress level...cause that will happen.

My dentist is amazing and she always asks me how school is going and loves to hear about it (or at least, as much as I can tell her before I have to sit there with my mouth open). Regarding stress, I had a test for Addison's last year. The internist informed me my cortisol was high. Uh, I did mention I'm in vet school, right? That led to a test for Cushing's anyway. Dexamethasone suppression test is no fun.

you were probably the one!
Mwahaha sometimes it's hard being so fabulous ;) but for reals, there are a ton of pre-meds/med students who get suuuuper defensive when anyone ever entertains the thought that there may be even individuals in other health fields that may be superior to their little elite circle. To be fair though, it's probably the same number of pre-vets and vet students who knee jerk and go "we are as much a doctor as you are, but for MORE species you twit! It's harder to get into vet school (even though I had an UG gpa <3.3 and kinda suck at standardized tests, and would have had a hard time getting into med school)"

Members don't see this ad :)
Went to the dentist yesterday.

Dentist: you seem educated. Did you go to college?
Me: I did. I'm going to vet school in August.
Dentist: vet school? That's cute.
Me: what's so cute about four years and $300,000 of debt???

In the end I got one free filling.
Wow, I had an opposite experience. My dentist became a dentist because he couldn't get into vet school. He seems like he's made off quite well with his practice haha, but at least he could appreciate what we do.

To be fair though, it's probably the same number of pre-vets and vet students who knee jerk and go "we are as much a doctor as you are, but for MORE species you twit! It's harder to get into vet school (even though I had an UG gpa <3.3 and kinda suck at standardized tests, and would have had a hard time getting into med school)"

Yeah, I don't think I'm sold on vet school is harder than med school; I think they're about equal. Sure we deal with a lot more species but I highly doubt we cover the same debt of material for all of the species that they do for humans. I think it also depends on the (vet) school because we don't have to take biochem or anything here, but I know other schools do.

And because they have to specialize whereas we can be surgeons and internal medicinists and radiologists and oncologists and neurologists and pathologists to at least some degree, I imagine we retain a better overall knoweldge of medicine. But I don't envy them the web of communication (or lack thereof) amongst specialties.

Medical doctors are just veterinarians with an extremely limited scope of practice within which they excel.

Reactions: 1 user
Medical doctors are just veterinarians with an extremely limited scope of practice within which they excel.

Eh, we each have a uniqe set of challenges that I don't think you can say physicians are just veterinarians and veterinarians are just physicians with x qualifiers. That's being nit-picky though - I see what you're getting at.

Eh, we each have a uniqe set of challenges that I don't think you can say physicians are just veterinarians and veterinarians are just physicians with x qualifiers. That's being nit-picky though - I see what you're getting at.
I was more speaking from a philosophical perspective. Practically, they are entirely different but have some skill and knowledge overlap.

Regarding stress, I had a test for Addison's last year. The internist informed me my cortisol was high. Uh, I did mention I'm in vet school, right? That led to a test for Cushing's anyway. Dexamethasone suppression test is no fun.
I had a dex suppression test done once... I don't recall it being that bad? I'm pretty sure the only reason the endocrinologist had me tested for Cushings was because she didn't think I was interesting enough just having Hashimoto's disease... and because I have a large face (pretty sure that's just genetic though, looking at my dad).

I had a dex suppression test done once... I don't recall it being that bad? I'm pretty sure the only reason the endocrinologist had me tested for Cushings was because she didn't think I was interesting enough just having Hashimoto's disease... and because I have a large face (pretty sure that's just genetic though, looking at my dad).

It was fine during the day. The pharmacist told me it makes some people a little jittery. I have never had worse insomnia in my life. Maybe I'm just super sensitive to dexamethasone, but I didn't get any proper sleep until about 36 hours later.

I'm not in vet school yet but someone on Facebook posted this *facepalm*

"Veterinarian or culinary arts?? Lol can't decide....heeellpp!!!! Lmaoo "

Some people need to research and realize that becoming a veterinarian is not easy. It is also not something you decide to do overnight.. or by asking a group of strangers on Facebook. UGH

Some people need to research and realize that becoming a veterinarian is not easy. It is also not something you decide to do overnight.. or by asking a group of strangers on Facebook. UGH
Never understood why Lmao became filler type.

mot quite the same as just willy nilly posting on FB, but i have a friend in med school right now that really wanted to be a chef (or a doctor) but knew she wouldnt be able to support herself/lifestyle as a chef. shes perfectly happy with med school, but i guess it just goes to show that we can want other things. your fb friend does potentially seem a smidge uninformed though...

Am I the only one who always reads it as "le mayo"?
b55bab1cb5815fec081ce11deee4534c.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
I had to give a short speech introducing myself (on the last day of speech class :woot: ), and mentioned that I would be spending the next four years in vet school. The teacher's response after my speech: "What do you call a person who never got accepted to vet school? ... A medical student. Congratulations." :laugh:

Reactions: 10 users
I'm a clerk at the (human) hospital. When one of my favourite docs heard, she said "How wonderful, we're coworkers, but now we'll really be colleagues!" Made me beam!!

Though I do get a lot of people assuming I'm trying to become a vet tech....

Though I do get a lot of people assuming I'm trying to become a vet tech....

I've had this happen to me a lot too and it kind of annoys me, I don't know why.

I've also had a lot of people voice concerns about how I'm going to preg-check cows. I'm quite short (5'2), and the running joke with all the ranchers in our area is that they're going to need to build me special stairs behind their chutes to reach the cows.

@Cracker.Jack. you're Albertan so you'll probably understand... I get asked a lot if I'm going to Olds or Lakeland for it. Umm... not quite lol

I'm always so surprised at the number of people from Alberta who have no idea there is a vet school in Calgary. I understand it's still the newer school, but it's been around for, what, 6 years now? And I've gotten lots of the, "oh is that at Olds?" too! Or they ask if I had to go to Olds first before I could apply.

I'm always so surprised at the number of people from Alberta who have no idea there is a vet school in Calgary. I understand it's still the newer school, but it's been around for, what, 6 years now? And I've gotten lots of the, "oh is that at Olds?" too! Or they ask if I had to go to Olds first before I could apply.
A lot of people in Oregon don't realize there's a vet school here either. It's not exactly new. The first class started in 1979. :shrug:

Not in vet school yet, but it used to drive me BONKERS when I worked at a vet clinic and one of the other assistants always told me she WOULD be a vet, if only she had taken an extra chemistry course. This girl couldn't spell the word "collar."
I also have not told anyone I am applying to vet school (other than my SO). I guess I don't want to deal with all the "Oh, I thought you didn't want to be a vet?" or "Isn't that SUPER hard to get into?" or "Don't vets come out half a million dollars in debt?" At least if I don't get in this cycle I don't have to explain it to everyone.
(I was pre vet, switched to pre-everything else, and now pre-vet again...... long story)

Not in vet school yet, but it used to drive me BONKERS when I worked at a vet clinic and one of the other assistants always told me she WOULD be a vet, if only she had taken an extra chemistry course. This girl couldn't spell the word "collar."
I also have not told anyone I am applying to vet school (other than my SO). I guess I don't want to deal with all the "Oh, I thought you didn't want to be a vet?" or "Isn't that SUPER hard to get into?" or "Don't vets come out half a million dollars in debt?" At least if I don't get in this cycle I don't have to explain it to everyone.
(I was pre vet, switched to pre-everything else, and now pre-vet again...... long story)

I wish I hadn't told anyone my first try. It was not fun having to tell people I didn't get in.

But for the questions people usually ask... You said "don't vets come ojt a half million dollars in debt".. I don't think most people know that. Usually people say to me " oh wow your going to be making so much money" and "oh well I know I can count on you to give fluffy free vet care" (I used to think the latter was cute and I've promised way too many family members free vet care LOL)

I've had this happen to me a lot too and it kind of annoys me, I don't know why.

I've also had a lot of people voice concerns about how I'm going to preg-check cows. I'm quite short (5'2), and the running joke with all the ranchers in our area is that they're going to need to build me special stairs behind their chutes to reach the cows.

One of the bad-assest (equine) surgeons I know had no qualms about asking for a stool to stand on, but my biggest problem (at 5'0) is that my arms are short and I can't reach very far!

Went to a fundraiser thing for my mom last night and saw a ton of her older friends who heard I was in vet school. Not going to lie, it was super aggravating for me. First the shock and surprise that vet school is a 4 year professional program, not the 2 years they all expect ("you finished your first year, how exciting! That means you're halfway done right?" "uh, no. Like 25% and then I'm probably going to do a residency after..." "oh, why is your program so long?" ... -.-) And then there's the assumption that I'm going into small animal and they're all going to bring their pets to me for care, even after I already explained to them that I'm interested in lab animal and that means I probably (hopefully) won't be working in a regular clinic. I shouldn't let it bother me... and usually it doesn't, but it was seriously repeating almost the same conversation to a dozen people yesterday.

It doesn't end, just so you all know. At commencement one of the ushers at the (on campus) event facility asked me and one of my classmates if vet school was a 2 or 3 year program as we were walking in for the opening procession. Seriously.

Went to a fundraiser thing for my mom last night and saw a ton of her older friends who heard I was in vet school. Not going to lie, it was super aggravating for me. First the shock and surprise that vet school is a 4 year professional program, not the 2 years they all expect ("you finished your first year, how exciting! That means you're halfway done right?" "uh, no. Like 25% and then I'm probably going to do a residency after..." "oh, why is your program so long?" ... -.-) And then there's the assumption that I'm going into small animal and they're all going to bring their pets to me for care, even after I already explained to them that I'm interested in lab animal and that means I probably (hopefully) won't be working in a regular clinic. I shouldn't let it bother me... and usually it doesn't, but it was seriously repeating almost the same conversation to a dozen people yesterday.

I feel you on the lab animal front. If it's a non-vet person, I just tell them I want to work with exotics :D

When my uncle heard I got into vet school, he considered me for a moment and then said, "You have really skinny arms. The cows are gonna love you."

Reactions: 5 users
"What are you going to school for?"
"To become a vet."
"Vet? Like an army veteran?"
"No, vet like veterinary. I don't think that school offers a veteran degree..."

Reactions: 1 users
"To become a vet."
Haha, I was asked the exact same thing a few days ago at the clinic! "Oh, you wanna be a vet? I didn't know you were interested in being in the army." "Uh, not exactly" :laugh:

I told my family when I was younger that I wanted to grow up to be a veteran and join a gang... oh the vocabulary of a 6 year old.

I told my family when I was younger that I wanted to grow up to be a veteran and join a gang... oh the vocabulary of a 6 year old.
What was "join a gang" supposed to be? I don't speak 6-year-old well. ;)

"To become a vet."
My coworkers in the call center at my school's vet hospital were just telling me yesterday that they used to sometimes get calls from people trying to reach the VA hospital. To make matters worse, apparently our phone numbers used to be similar, and one time a 411 person actually connected someone to us instead of the VA hospital, and the woman was going on about how her husband was feeling really down and she was worried he was going to hurt himself, and receptionist was just like, "Wait, are you talking about your dog here?" and confusion and hilarity ensued.

"To become a vet."
This reminds me.. One time a teammate came up to me at school and was like "Thanks swingnsave!!!" And I said "for what?" She's all " it's vet appreciation week!" I'm like "uhhhh veterans... Not veterinarian.. And I'm not a vet yet.." She tried to play it off but it didn't work hahahaha

My mom thought that people would assume my graduation cap (see avatar) meant "future veteran." Yes, because I graduated with my BS to become a veteran.

Haha I didn't realize it was that common for people to confuse veterinarians with veterans.

Allieoop - I like your graduation cap! And congratulations!

Haha I didn't realize it was that common for people to confuse veterinarians with veterans.

Allieoop - I like your graduation cap! And congratulations!
Thanks :D I received a lot of compliments on it, so I think most people knew what it meant haha.