Favorite responses upon hearing you are going to vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks :D I received a lot of compliments on it, so I think most people knew what it meant haha.
Good.
I went to a little biology-only graduation, and there happened to be a vet in the audience who knew the vets I thanked on the stage. She came up to me after the graduation and started talking about vet school and the job market with me. Small world!

Members don't see this ad.

Haha I didn't realize it was that common for people to confuse veterinarians with veterans.

Allieoop - I like your graduation cap! And congratulations!
When I first moved to BR there was this Earn Your Stripes campaign on the radio about hiring vets. Especially since LSU's mascot is a tiger (hence stripes) and I came in halfway through the commercial I thought it was talking about veterinarians. :oops: Then I heard it a second time and caught all the references to army stuff.

"you're going to be able to get us all of our drugs and food for the dogs for free now right?" -my sister. more than once.
I've gotten this too. My aunt says "oh good we get free vet care now"

I say "well tuition is close to 200k how much contribution can I expect to get me through..?"

Response " oh, I guess we will just pay for vet care..."

She also thinks that her dog with an uncontrolled diabetes having glucose ranging from 550 one day to 300 the next to 129 the next is free to have cookies and doesn't need a glucose curve because the vets are just out to make more money.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've gotten this too. My aunt says "oh good we get free vet care now"

I say "well tuition is close to 200k how much contribution can I expect to get me through..?"

Response " oh, I guess we will just pay for vet care..."

She also thinks that her dog with an uncontrolled diabetes having glucose ranging from 550 one day to 300 the next to 129 the next is free to have cookies and doesn't need a glucose curve because the vets are just out to make more money.
:laugh:

All I hear when people find out I'm going into vet school..."I hear vet school is harder to get into than med school". That's literally all I've heard, even from people trying to get into med school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 users
All I hear when people find out I'm going into vet school..."I hear vet school is harder to get into than med school". That's literally all I've heard, even from people trying to get into med school.

lately i've been getting that coupled with "arent there only 4 vet schools?" or now that i'm at NCSU, i hear a lot about how much better NCSU CVM is than every other school.

lately i've been getting that coupled with "arent there only 4 vet schools?" or now that i'm at NCSU, i hear a lot about how much better NCSU CVM is than every other school.

Makes you wonder about the authenticity and genuineness of what they're saying...they say that to me about CSU as well. They can't all be the "best" schools! Are you just trying to make nicey nice small talk?? Lol

Lately I've gotten a lot of "Didn't that school used to be top 3 in the country and now it's gone downhill??" Umm:smack:

Makes you wonder about the authenticity and genuineness of what they're saying...they say that to me about CSU as well. They can't all be the "best" schools! Are you just trying to make nicey nice small talk?? Lol

i usually launch into an equality speech mostly because i'm technically from another school. yesterday someone told me that he knew a few people that went to LSU because they couldnt get into NCSU back when they applied. ...so??

Lady: "Is this your first year of school?"
Me: "Yes, Vet school."
Lady(several minutes later): "So you will be a veterinarian?"
Me: "Yes"
Lady: "So...you are gonna be a doctor? A real doctor?"
Me: "Ummm...Yes."

What I wanted to say: "No, I'm going to be a Veteran actress playing a doctor..."

Reactions: 2 users
Talking to my tax guy today about my goals now that I'm graduated. Mentioned going to vet school and the tuition and everything, he responds with "Well why don't you go be a real doctor??"

Members don't see this ad :)
Talking to my tax guy today about my goals now that I'm graduated. Mentioned going to vet school and the tuition and everything, he responds with "Well why don't you go be a real doctor??"
"But I just thought it sounded cooler to be an IDVM* than a regular old DVM."
*Imaginary Doctor of Veterinary Medicine

Really, though. What makes so many people think the "real doctor" comments are an appropriate response?

"But I just thought it sounded cooler to be an IDVM* than a regular old DVM."
*Imaginary Doctor of Veterinary Medicine

Really, though. What makes so many people think the "real doctor" comments are an appropriate response?
In my experience, some who make those comments truly have no damn clue that a veterinarian is a doctor. They do not know what DVM stands for, they do not know that going to veterinary school means you are getting a medical education. Brief synopsis of my last conversation about this: Being told that "I'm not a doctor, I'm a veterinarian" (yes, I had to tell her that I still needed a higher degree to be a vet, not just my undergrad degree) and that "Veterinarians are of a low social status."

Other times, the person is just an a-hole.

I commission us all to come up with an extravagant or erroneous answer to these vet-related questions for the next time we're met with clueless and/or belligerent people. It's like when an evangelist of some sort asks if you believe in faith or evolution* and you surprise them with this: neither. o_O....:heckyeah: Such a troll.

*Of course, I know for many people the two aren't mutually exclusive, but this is beside my original point. =P

I commission us all to come up with an extravagant or erroneous answer to these vet-related questions for the next time we're met with clueless and/or belligerent people. It's like when an evangelist of some sort asks if you believe in faith or evolution* and you surprise them with this: neither. o_O....:heckyeah: Such a troll.

*Of course, I know for many people the two aren't mutually exclusive, but this is beside my original point. =P
I believe the big bang occurred and humans appeared having been created by aliens and dinosaurs are in our future

When my bf's parents heard I'd gotten in to a school several states away, they said something to the effect of, "How long is vet school? 4 years?! Seriously!? Aw, well, it was nice knowing you. He'll miss you so much. You were the only girlfriend we actually liked."

Me: "Uh...thanks? Maybe?"

Talk about bleak! :eek::laugh:

"Wow you are going to be poor for the rest of your life! I told you not to do it but you still did." from a veterinary surgeon. She held a law degree as well.

"Your husband is going to divorce you." This is from my mom.

Most people who know me discourage/disapprov me to go to vet school. Most strangers congrat me. (My former career is a computer engineer. I basically gave up a 100k/yr job, worked in school bookstore for $6/hr, went to tech school and made about $12-20/hr past 7 years. And I am about to get into the debt of 250k and away from my husband.)

Last edited:
Though I sometimes get responses like that,

When I was checking into the hotel for one of my interviews, the lady at the front desk asked me what I was interviewing for.
Her immediate response was to say how hard vet school is and that she thinks she'd rather go to a vet than a human doctor because they have to understand so much more about different types of animals

Needless to say, I was impressed. :)

My hubby (active duty Air Force) is trying to get stationed near me while I am in school. They asked him if I can transfer to a school near a base. :bang:

I was expecting the typical response "oh, that's a 2 year program right?"

My hubby (active duty Air Force) is trying to get stationed near me while I am in school. They asked him if I can transfer to a school near a base. :bang:

I was expecting the typical response "oh, that's a 2 year program right?"
Hey! My hubby is ARNG and we're trying to see if he can switch states. Apparently it's not easy

The best I got was from my favorite undergrad professor who goes, "You can do better than that. You're too good to be a veterinarian."

I wish the vet schools felt that way about me!

I've gotten a lot of good responses which of course make me feel happy but it's more fun to talk about the funny/ignorant ones haha!

Whenever I tell people I'm going to vet school I get a lot of "oh I wanted to do that but did you know you have to take like actual hard science classes for that?" No...nope. I wasn't aware of that at all :eyebrow:

My favorite is "Oh you're going to vet school?! Please tell me what's wrong with my sickly dog!" I guess people don't understand you have to go to school for 4 years to learn things...you just get your acceptance letter and all the knowledge pops into your head!

An advisor came up to me at an event during my senior year of college and asked what my plans were for after graduation. I said I was going to finish my prereqs back home and then apply to vet school. He stands there for a moment, gives me this "knowing" look, and says, "You should be a writer."

So it was a compliment, albeit a backhanded one. Nevertheless, I'm going to get great pleasure out of sending him an email about my offers and what I end up choosing. Nothing quite like a dose of vindication :woot:

An advisor came up to me at an event during my senior year of college and asked what my plans were for after graduation. I said I was going to finish my prereqs back home and then apply to vet school. He stands there for a moment, gives me this "knowing" look, and says, "You should be a writer."

So it was a compliment, albeit a backhanded one. Nevertheless, I'm going to get great pleasure out of sending him an email about my offers and what I end up choosing. Nothing quite like a dose of vindication :woot:
Just gonna throw in a "no reason why you can't do both", which was the reaction I got from most of my English advisors/professors :)

"what do you mean you might have to move? What's wrong with the vet school here?"

Help. Me.

"oh, they haven't sent letters yet "

" oh. You just can't promise to pay money and go? "

A few of our clients at work know I'll be going to vet school. One is a very nice, but very difficult client. They are so over the top excited for me, and have told me what a great Dr I'll be, which is saying a lot since they question just about everything the Dr's do and recommend. Every client that knows has been really awesome about it. They are often so excited that I don't really know how to react.

My parents were there when I got my acceptance call and my mom popped the cork on a bottle of champagne before the call was over.

As far as annoying comments, like everyone else I've heard a lot of "how many years is vet school? Oh really 4? Just like med school?" My stock answer is, "well med students only have to learn 1 animal, vets have to learn a lot more!"

The oldie but goodie: "how long is vet school ? 4 years. Oh my gosh that is just like a doctor isn't it?" I have literally run out of things to say to this...Do people think all you need is a Bachelors Degree and a few weeks of binge watching emergency vets on Animal Planet to become a vet? :smack:

The oldie but goodie: "how long is vet school ? 4 years. Oh my gosh that is just like a doctor isn't it?" I have literally run out of things to say to this...Do people think all you need is a Bachelors Degree and a few weeks of binge watching emergency vets on Animal Planet to become a vet? :smack:
Wait, that's not how it's done? I've been waiting for my degree in the mail any day now!

Is emergency vets even on animal planet anymore? :( All the good stuff went away when the channel became "surprisingly human" :vomit:

Reactions: 4 users
Is emergency vets even on animal planet anymore? :( All the good stuff went away when the channel became "surprisingly human" :vomit:

Unfortunately not. All of the classics disappeared
upload_2015-3-2_20-11-7.png

Reactions: 4 users
Yes!!!! And no...it's not a two year program....

It makes me laugh internally when clients at the clinic I work at ask if I'm studying to be a vet, when the closest vet school is three hours away. :smack: Although it's possible they mean am I in undergrad doing pre-reqs. I look younger than I am, so people are always surprised that I'm already done with undergrad. And like @WildZoo mentioned, people always seem surprised when I say I applied and am waiting to hear back from schools, like I should have been able to just go as soon as I felt like it.

I had a pre-med acquaintance who offhandedly mentioned she might apply to vet school if she didn't get into med school, just because she learned I got to take the GRE rather than the MCAT. Also one of my good friends is constantly surprised that I'm not a vegetarian for some reason.

It makes me laugh internally when clients at the clinic I work at ask if I'm studying to be a vet, when the closest vet school is three hours away

Didn't you know vet school is online? I was told today that vet school is online and when I corrected the lady, she proceeded to tell me that most vet schools are in California.

I guess this means I will save a ton on room & board now that I know it's online...thanks @ADM1220 !!!:rofl:

My roommate was just accepted and her family made her a shirt that says "I'm not 12, I'm in vet school!"

She's much younger than the average trad student and really does look like she's 12! Thought her family's joke on her was hilarious!

I recently had blood drawn for rabies titers and the phlebotomist asked why I was getting that done. I told her I was starting vet school in the fall and she replied " oh! What will you be studying?" I said "probably mostly small animals, like cats and dogs." She looked confused for a moment and then said "so you're going to be like, a veterinarian?" Nah, I'm going to vet school to learn to be an astronaut.

Reactions: 8 users
My roommate was just accepted and her family made her a shirt that says "I'm not 12, I'm in vet school!"

She's much younger than the average trad student and really does look like she's 12! Thought her family's joke on her was hilarious!
:laugh:

Would it be weird if we copied their idea? I think @WildZoo needs one.

Retired philosophy professor: you're in vet school? Do you learn how to train dogs in vet school?
Me: nope. You learn that in dog training school.

I didn't find it humorous but maybe I will in ten or twelve years.

My boss, who is a chemistry professor, told the entire chemistry department I got accepted, so for a couple weeks I had random people coming up to me at work and congratulating me.

One poor misinformed person ended up telling me: "Congratulations on going to Virginia Tech for your Biology PhD!" (For the record, I didn't even apply to VT).

My boss, who is a chemistry professor, told the entire chemistry department I got accepted, so for a couple weeks I had random people coming up to me at work and congratulating me.

One poor misinformed person ended up telling me: "Congratulations on going to Virginia Tech for your Biology PhD!" (For the record, I didn't even apply to VT).
Random, but I like your title! "Psychedelic guitar solo". Especially as I sit in the airport listening to psychedelic rock :)

"Oh yeah, I would much rather do that than medical school. It's so much easier. And you have less responsibility because there are people over you."

o_O

A few days ago I got:

"Vet school? So, thats another bachelor's right?"

and then after he proceeded to tell me about this crazy new fad his friends are into called pet insurance, he informed me that "pet insurance is just a scam so they can get away with charging you more for the same treatment"

:smack:

A few days ago I got:

"Vet school? So, thats another bachelor's right?"

and then after he proceeded to tell me about this crazy new fad his friends are into called pet insurance, he informed me that "pet insurance is just a scam so they can get away with charging you more for the same treatment"

:smack:
Ugh. People.:boom: