FDA Approves OTC Plan B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,210271,00.html

I'm really happy about this because I hate dealing with these patients in the ED. My group as a whole has never been able to reach a consensus about how to handle emergency contraception. Does anyone know when this will take effect?

PS- In the interest keeping the trolls off the EM board ('cause they never find their way in here :rolleyes: ) it's probably best that we limit this discussion to the EM aspects of Plan B. I've also started a thread on the topics forum about some of the other issues that surround this.

Members don't see this ad.

docB said:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,210271,00.html

I'm really happy about this because I hate dealing with these patients in the ED. My group as a whole has never been able to reach a consensus about how to handle emergency contraception. Does anyone know when this will take effect?

PS- In the interest keeping the trolls off the EM board ('cause they never find their way in here :rolleyes: ) it's probably best that we limit this discussion to the EM aspects of Plan B. I've also started a thread on the topics forum about some of the other issues that surround this.

Hopefully, you'll let me chime in here - I'm a CA pharmacist who has prescribing & dispensing authority for Plan B in this state (we are allowed if we complete a course of study). So...I'm very happy about this.

As for the time frame - the FDA has stated it will limit discussion to 60 days rather than the usual 90-120 days...so it will be faster than the normal process. But...it will be at least 2 months. The packaging is already appropriate for OTC use.

Altho it will be limited to those who are 18 or older & will probably be availble only behind the pharmacy counter - similar to pseudoephedrine products now....I can't see how any pharmacist would care if the girl is less than 18 - some with moral objections perhaps.

But...in my state, I can still give Plan B without an rx for a girl of any age. I just need to ascertain there has not been abuse so I actually require the request to come from the girl herself. But...this will ease the workload of processing an actual prescription for it & on the downside will prevent insurance coverage for it also.

If you need to find pharmacies nationwide who have independent prescribing authority for Plan B - google emergency contraception. There are a few sites where you put in your zip code & find the closest pharmacy. Its not available in every state, but is in CA.