Feasibility of low-stress job conditions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lifeman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Lowly M1 reporting in. Just seeing what kinds of options are out there at this point. Low-stress can mean different things to lots of people, but for me, what I consider low-stress is patient volume (pace) and/or hours. I would probably be fine seeing a low patient load over the course of a full day so that I can take my time. But I also wouldn't mind seeing patients a little quicker if it means I would get to go home and relax a bit earlier.

I am realizing by looking at relatives and friends in the medical field who are having to work long & hard hours etc. that I would not be happy "living to work". This is not to say that I plan on being a lazy doctor, I think on the contrary, I would be a better doctor if I am less stressed.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay away from community mental health then. Some inpatient places can be pretty low hours from what I have seen. Can still be pretty stressful though, but if you are halfway competent, you'll be amazed at how easy a state hospital gig could be. That is based on both my own experience/observations as well as what I have seen whopper post about his experience.

Reactions: 1 user
There is still a lot of stress in pp. There is a lot to keep track of and stresses employed doctors don't have.

Stay away from community mental health then. Some inpatient places can be pretty low hours from what I have seen. Can still be pretty stressful though, but if you are halfway competent, you'll be amazed at how easy a state hospital gig could be. That is based on both my own experience/observations as well as what I have seen whopper post about his experience.

Some state hospital gigs can be awfully stressful, it really depends on how it is structured, so YMMV.