February CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bereno

Smoking Monkey
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to those taking the exam tomorrow! If you are like me, and taking it for the second time, I hope we are able to increase our scores enough to put this behind us once and for all.

Happy CBSEve :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck Bereno - I know you'll you do great

Members don't see this ad :)
This is how I felt when I left Prometric the first time I took this thing

image.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Well... lets see how that went. Not sure what to make of it, but I am pretty sure it went better than last time. The question is, how much better, haha.

How long does it take to get the score report from AAMOS?

Thanks!

About a week. Then another few days for the mean, SD, and range to be released

Today's CBSE was my first attempt. Probably going to retake in August because things didn't go well today. Wish I started studying earlier. I think I can definitely do better if I actually finished FA and Uworld... Do scores get sent through email or snail mail?

Sounds brutal.... though every time is brutal.

@yuggernaut30 you'll get an email with the score report, then Bereno will fish out the numbers for test takers as a whole about a week later.

i love that we put this thread in the dental residents/practicing dentists subforum when we aren't any of that.

it's like seeing DAT breakdowns in the Dental students subforum. kinda ridiculous dontcha think?

i love that we put this thread in the dental residents/practicing dentists subforum when we aren't any of that.

it's like seeing DAT breakdowns in the Dental students subforum. kinda ridiculous dontcha think?

Normally I would agree, but I feel this is a difference scenario. There is no pre-OMFS section like there is a pre-dent section. You could argue that the dental section is analogous to a pre-resident section, but not all dental students are going to a residency, let alone OMFS. The next best thing in my eyes is to post in a subforum that is dedicated to the specialties, since the CBSE is OMFS specific. Additionally, a lot of the CBSE specific questions, score updates, etc are all posted under this subforum. I think this is even more relevant given that just below this thread there are "Applying to endo residency", "NBME for dental students", "Nbde p/np and its effect on matching", etc.. Is it a perfect fit? No. But, I think its a good enough fit to warrant placement there. If a moderator feels differently, feel free to move it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the eloquent reply Bereno.

Man, I don't know what's worst. Waiting for these results, or for my HIV test results. At least for the HIV one, I can at least call some people to see if they are still alive.

Reactions: 1 users

Not everyone taking this test is a student. I took part 1 6 years ago (and did very well, before it went P/F) and have been in practice for several years - since most programs want to see this test now instead of my Part I score I figured I'd give it a shot. Let me advise everyone that if you're going to try (or re-try) this test, don't wait that long, because it gets much harder the further you get away from the academic environment. As for the test itself, I'd rather not talk about it :bang:

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to those taking the exam tomorrow! If you are like me, and taking it for the second time, I hope we are able to increase our scores enough to put this behind us once and for all.

Happy CBSEve :)

Bereno, I would say I think I feel the same. Second time around for me as well. I know I didn't want to crush my head into a wall after taking the exam this time, but that doesn't mean it's enough of an improvement from wanting to do so (like I did the first time).

Arghhh I'm just realizing that I missed all the easy, first-order, gimme questions. I'm usually not the type to dwell, but I'm so mad that I missed such easy questions.

Bereno, I would say I think I feel the same. Second time around for me as well. I know I didn't want to crush my head into a wall after taking the exam this time, but that doesn't mean it's enough of an improvement from wanting to do so (like I did the first time).

Exactly. We will see. Curious if we will get them tomorrow or on Friday... ugh haha

Around what time have the scores been released in the past. I'm going to be in clinic refreshing my email all day haha.

Around what time have the scores been released in the past. I'm going to be in clinic refreshing my email all day haha.

Usually in the afternoon on Thursdays.
But last August's scores weren't released til Friday.

just out of curiosity, did our rectums get violated by the same test or are there multiple versions?

just out of curiosity, did our rectums get violated by the same test or are there multiple versions?

Rectum was still demolished from the August exam. Felt nothing this time around.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh hey, look at that... 71

Reactions: 6 users
What is the minimum CBSE score accepted for admission to OMFS program ?

Good job Bereno.

I got a 69...I'm a little disappointed to say the least. I really needed a 75+ to make up for other deficient aspects. I may have to take this over again...Guess we'll see what the Army OMS board thinks of me in a week or so...really doesn't help when you catch pneumonia that puts you in the hospital for 3 days about 10 days before the exam. :eek:

congrats budd!!! got 68.. kinda sad, if it ws a 69 it wouldve been funny. but oh well...what you guys think, retake? (its 1st time taking it)

Yea 69, woo! I guess I'm wrong to be happy about this? I was expecting much worse.

I'm not sure about a retake. My gut says no, just because I feel like the 5 months could be used elsewhere, but then I'm not really sure what would build an application better than simply shooting for a 75+...

Yea 69, woo! I guess I'm wrong to be happy about this? I was expecting much worse.

I'm not sure about a retake. My gut says no, just because I feel like the 5 months could be used elsewhere, but then I'm not really sure what would build an application better than simply shooting for a 75+...
I think it depends on the rest of your application. If you have a decent class rank in the top 1/3 then you are probably fine. You just need to impress somebody with some weight in the OS community and lock down some letters of recommendation from them, +/- more externships

my boy is chief resident at christiana, i asked him abt 68 and he said its a legit score. so those are 69ing, you good! DO NOT APPLY TO THERE

Good job Bereno.

I got a 69...I'm a little disappointed to say the least. I really needed a 75+ to make up for other deficient aspects. I may have to take this over again...Guess we'll see what the Army OMS board thinks of me in a week or so...really doesn't help when you catch pneumonia that puts you in the hospital for 3 days about 10 days before the exam. :eek:

I am relieved since I was able to improve my score by 10 points. However, I really wanted a 72+. This is one point away, but I told myself beforehand that I would retake if I got a 71 or lower... The main reason for this is that I do not have class rank or GPA, so the CBSE is that much more important in my scenario. If I had a class rank and a decent GPA, I would definitely not retake... I'm torn, and I think I will talk to some of the bigwigs at my school about it. In the meantime, I'm going to try and rest. :)

I am relieved since I was able to improve my score by 10 points. However, I really wanted a 72+. This is one point away, but I told myself beforehand that I would retake if I got a 71 or lower... The main reason for this is that I do not have class rank or GPA, so the CBSE is that much more important in my scenario. If I had a class rank and a decent GPA, I would definitely not retake... I'm torn, and I think I will talk to some of the bigwigs at my school about it. In the meantime, I'm going to try and rest. :)

Yeah, these sort of borderline numbers are the toughest, especially because with August approaching, I feel kind of like there's no reason NOT to retake the exam (other than the massive amount of time it will eat, which admissions won't care about at all XD), unless there is something I can do alternatively to make my application better. So right now it just seems like "Study and retake before PASS/MATCH, because you have no better options".

Man I hope you all are graduating in 2016. You guys would be some awesome ****ing co-residents.

For the rest of you that didn't prep like Albino... well here ya go

2bc7df5b997a395592380e0a3f5202707b9491de4122b7bd0c7623fdbbe89466.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Bro, you definitely do not have to retake. I also go to a school with no rank or GPA and classmates of mine who had high 60s on the exam got 15+ interviews each. 71 will get you in the door at pretty much every program you apply to (save a few programs that apparently don't interview people from non-rank schools). After you hit that threshold to get interviews, it doesn't matter if you just made the cut or got a 99. From then on it's personality match. Case and point, I have friends who had mid-50s NBME matching with only a few interviews while there were a couple people I know this year who had 80+ on the NBME and did not match. The difference was in their personalities. Once you're at the interview they know you're smart enough to get through residency, it's just whether they want to spend 100 hours a week with you.

Moral of the story, take that time you were planning on using to study for the NBME again and put it towards something more useful...like going out and drinking a few beers, maybe meeting some nice women, and eventually going home solo to play drunken Call of Duty after striking out miserably. You know, the finer things in life that you give up during a grueling OMFS residency.

Reactions: 5 users
That's what sucks about borderline scores, either suck my way into a residency or get fisted by kimbo slice. Either way I'm gonna be uncomfortable

What was the avg and SD this time around?

I'll post the average/SD when they come out. I'm guessing they will sit in the 55/10.5 range if the pattern holds.

Good Job. Thats a jump in standard deviation. Everything im about to type you already know - but to re assure you - The grass will always be greener. If you are not burnt out from studying - Take it again. Your score is above many applicants who match. You are SAFE. :)

You'll be fine. I only got a 72 and got a bunch of interviews at the top 6-year programs (only applied to 6-year) along with matching at my #1.

Haha, I know I am "safe" and I am definitely relieved! Its just that this was my plan beforehand, and now I really hate to change plans based on my performance haha.

You'll be fine. I only got a 72 and got a bunch of interviews at the top 6-year programs (only applied to 6-year) along with matching at my #1.

Agreed. Save yourself the time at this point if you're in the 70s already and concentrate on graduation and externships. People from my school even in high to mid 60s were getting 7+ interviews each. I've seen plenty of people take the test 4 or more times and the scores after Take #2 have gone from -2 to +2. It's not worth it past the second time in my opinion once you break that 70 barrier.