Fee waiver secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Petrichor1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for a person to show financial need and qualify for secondary fee waiver after they have graduated? It seems that students are often granted the waiver very easily but such is not the case for those who have graduated. If one qualified for financial aid as a student, can we not use that as evidence of waiver need?

Also is the FAP only for primary applications?

Members don't see this ad.

Waivers are based from FAP eligibility and approval, as far as I know. If you qualified for the FAP waiver, you will qualify for most, if not all, secondary applications as well. (Baylor, among a few others, reduces the secondary fee instead of fully waiving it.)

Is it possible for a person to show financial need and qualify for secondary fee waiver after they have graduated? It seems that students are often granted the waiver very easily but such is not the case for those who have graduated. If one qualified for financial aid as a student, can we not use that as evidence of waiver need?

Also is the FAP only for primary applications?
From the AMCAS Website:

In 2016, you will be granted fee assistance if each household reported on your application has a 2015 total family income that is 300 percent or less than the 2015 national poverty level for that family size.

The fact that you've already graduated shouldn't matter. But I don't think the fact that you qualified for financial aid in and of itself will make you eligible for FAP. It depends on both your personal income and your parents' income. They include parent income no matter how old you are. And yes, the vast majority of schools will waive the secondary fee, if you're awarded FAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if anyone already asked, but if a school gives you a secondary application fee waiver even though you didn't have one for the primary application, does that in any way mean they really want you? A few schools invited me to apply and gave me waivers without me even asking for waivers. One is expediting my application as well. I don't know if that's merely because of my participation in Med-MAR...

I don't know if anyone already asked, but if a school gives you a secondary application fee waiver even though you didn't have one for the primary application, does that in any way mean they really want you? A few schools invited me to apply and gave me waivers without me even asking for waivers. One is expediting my application as well. I don't know if that's merely because of my participation in Med-MAR...
As far as I know, yes, it's because you opted in to Med-MAR. I believe it's typically because you have an MCAT score within the school's target range and/or you're from an underrepresented group (based on race/ethnicity or SES) that the school is looking to attract. I wouldn't say that it means they really want you just yet but it may mean that your stats are in line with what they're looking for! Not a guarantee but still good news.