Feedback/Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

parski

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Numbers numbers numbers. Unfortunately that pageful of info isn't going to help you with 2.84, 3.15, 3.44, 30. One year of 3.44 doesn't answer for 4 years of 2.84/3.15. 30 is below average for MD almost everywhere.

If you are an underrepresented minority, and/or a resident of MI or LA, you could theoretically apply MD.

Otherwise you can either make friends with DO, or go back to undergrad for a 2nd bachelors and better MCAT.

Your grad program should not have accepted you with your stats. Irresponsible.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Looking for feedback and some general guidance.

Stats:
2012 BA Math
Undergrad sGPA 2.84 (my major courses, i.e. math, a lot of B-/Cs)
Undergrad cGPA 3.15

2015 MS Biomedical Sciences
GPA 3.44

2014 MCAT
30 - 8ps/10vr/12bs

LORs:
MS program committee letter including:
- graduate research PI (MD, surgeon in chief top 50 hospital)
-current research PI (MD, chief physician executive top 50 hospital)
-MS program academic adviser (DO)
-MS program program director (PhD, author of committee letter)
-HR director from EMT company (clinical/professional)

PS:
Several individuals looked it over (adviser, PIs, etc) and I've revised it several times based on feedback (between both application cycles). Addresses low points of my application concisely and highlights my more recent and relevant experiences/successes

EC's:
  • Currently work as a research assistant on disease management trail. Started in December 2015. Plan to stay on till study finishes ~12 months or so. Will be involved in write up and drafting of manuscript. Part time work as of now 20 hrs/week
  • 500+ hours as a volunteer research assistant during graduate program. Published J. Vascular Surgery (October 2014 - 3rd authorship). Also presented work at 2014 regional vascular surgery conference
  • 5000+ clinical hours as an EMT in large (pop >1.0 million) city over 4 year period (one year full time, last three years per diem). ~24 hrs/week right now
  • 300-400 volunteer hours college EMS. Operations coordinator position senior year
  • Eagle Scout
Applications:
2015 - 23 MD schools
2016 - 15 MD schools
No interviews either cycle
All applications were in by July 30 (primary+secondary)
I have no institutional actions or major red flags (besides low GPA and ok MCAT).
State does not have a medical school, so all applications are to privates w/e of UVM and VCU
Rejections came mostly in Feb/March.

Plan:
-Re-take MCAT with aim of a 520. I've been studying for several weeks, plan to retake in June.
-Expand my research role, i.e. move to full time.
-More volunteer work, waiting to hear back on little league position, considering big brothers big sisters

DO has been suggested and I have been weighing that for awhile now, several months at least. I do not feel DO is something that I can be proud of (personally that is, not by any means a shot against DOs). While I have not ruled it out, I feel like I would have a chip on my shoulder. However, I know that being a DO physician is better than not being a physician.

Caribbean schools are not in the question and will never considered.

If the MCAT comes up to a respectable score (515 minimum, aiming for 520, current practice tests are in the 510-513 range, 2 months to go), will that alone help me to begin getting interviews? I've considered additional course work, but for the cost per class how much benefit would that add to me?

Much appreciated.
If you can get your sGPA above 3.0 it would make less doors slam shut automatically.
If you really want an MD, you'll have to have an upward trend in grades, get a high MCAT score and do an SMP. (I have no idea if your master's is an SMP. If it is, you've had your one and only shot at redemption, and its results are in the books now)
The quickest route to becoming a physician would be DO with grade replacement.
Retake any science classes you got C's or lower in and get A's. This will help both your MD BCPM and your DO GPA's the most.
After getting several A's in science classes, then if you feel more prepared for the MCAT, retake it and get a high score.
If you aren't confident that you could do significantly better than a 30, then apply for SMPs. I got into most with about the same score.
Do well in the SMP and apply broadly to MD and DO.
Go wherever you get in.

If your masters program was an SMP, then you should keep hacking away at that sGPA. Take 1-2 science classes/semester at your local university and get A's. This adds up over time. Start with retaking any classes you got C's or lower in and then move onto upper level sciences.
Get a high MCAT score.
Apply broadly to MD and DO.
Go wherever you get in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You obviously don't want to be a doctor, so what's your Plan B? Your grad GPA is meh, and at my school, a flag for doing poorly in our program.

Chip on your shoulder indeed.

Beggars can't be choosy.

DO has been suggested and I have been weighing that for awhile now, several months at least. I do not feel DO is something that I can be proud of (personally that is, not by any means a shot against DOs). While I have not ruled it out, I feel like I would have a chip on my shoulder. However, I know that being a DO physician is better than not being a physician.

Reactions: 4 users
Unless you are interested in applying to DO schools you should start planning for another career. The fact is that you have had no interviews in 2 application cycles so a MD acceptance is unlikely. You are competitive for some DO schools though you may be screened out at some schools due to your low sGPA. Apply to at least 25 DO schools and include all the newer schools and schools that open in 2017.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply to at least 25 DO schools and include all the newer schools and schools that open in 2017.
QelDNW

Reactions: 1 user