Feedback on my MCAT study plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosted_flake

waaahmbulance attendant
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my MCAT study plan-

June - August: ExamKrackers course
August - September: Go over weak areas that I am not too confident in
September - November 5th: AAMC exams/review
November 5th-November 7th: REST
November 8th test date.

Any feedback?

Members don't see this ad.

if you can stay focus for five months go for it. It sounds like a recipe for burnout though

Here is my MCAT study plan-

June - August: ExamKrackers course
August - September: Go over weak areas that I am not too confident in
September - November 5th: AAMC exams/review
November 5th-November 7th: REST
November 8th test date.

Any feedback?
Way too long in my opinion. You're going to burn out

Alternative:
August-September: Read content from TBR books
September 8th - October 11th: Kaplan course (AdvantagePlus option, includes all AAMC exams/review of AAMC exams)
October 11th- November 7th: Review for weak areas
I purchased TBR series a while back, and I plan on going through those as I go through the Kaplan course (the passages/questions)

November 7th is the big day.
@t0ny , @havocgene

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why November 7th?

Your initial plan had you doing MCAT prep in June and July.

If you're free for the summer to do MCAT prep full-time, you should just work your butt off June/July/Aug and take the test at the end of Aug or beginning of Sept.

I don't think you should take a prep class, but if you're set on that, then take KTP over EK. KTP will give you lots more stuff.

Why November 7th?

Your initial plan had you doing MCAT prep in June and July.

If you're free for the summer to do MCAT prep full-time, you should just work your butt off June/July/Aug and take the test at the end of Aug or beginning of Sept.

I don't think you should take a prep class, but if you're set on that, then take KTP over EK. KTP will give you lots more stuff.
Thanks for the reply! I would but I am taking organic this summer.
I wont be taking the EK class. Its too far away from my house (1.5 hours )
I want to take a prep course for structure more than anything.

Alternative:
August-September: Read content from TBR books
September 8th - October 11th: Kaplan course (AdvantagePlus option, includes all AAMC exams/review of AAMC exams)
October 11th- November 7th: Review for weak areas
I purchased TBR series a while back, and I plan on going through those as I go through the Kaplan course (the passages/questions)

November 7th is the big day.
@t0ny , @havocgene

could you elaborate what you wanna do in those months? Like what are you allocating to content review?

5 month plan?

Read the EK books (if you're going along with EK anyways...)... for 2 months, an hour before bed. Just read one book at a time. Let it sink in.

3 Months out... practice exams. practice, practice, practice. If you find an area you're week in... go back to the book and brush up in the subject. I converted the EK books I bought to pdf and popped them on my ipad. I would re-read the books on the transit system in Boston while going to school/work/home/whenever.

...practice problems helped more than anything. I would get stuck on a problem, go back to the book (place a postit to mark that - knowing I have a weak area) and review. I would move forward, and if I crossed that again, I would go right back to where I marked and review again... when I had problems (mostly with physics..) I sought out some extra help. And then right back to practice problems.

1 month out... I began timed practice tests. Prepare yourself for sitting there. I had trouble doing that. Reduce your caffeine intake if you're like me and consume coffee like water. :)

Good luck.

Not advising you to my study habits, but they helped me.

Reactions: 1 users
5 month plan?

Read the EK books (if you're going along with EK anyways...)... for 2 months, an hour before bed. Just read one book at a time. Let it sink in.

3 Months out... practice exams. practice, practice, practice. If you find an area you're week in... go back to the book and brush up in the subject. I converted the EK books I bought to pdf and popped them on my ipad. I would re-read the books on the transit system in Boston while going to school/work/home/whenever.

...practice problems helped more than anything. I would get stuck on a problem, go back to the book (place a postit to mark that - knowing I have a weak area) and review. I would move forward, and if I crossed that again, I would go right back to where I marked and review again... when I had problems (mostly with physics..) I sought out some extra help. And then right back to practice problems.

1 month out... I began timed practice tests. Prepare yourself for sitting there. I had trouble doing that. Reduce your caffeine intake if you're like me and consume coffee like water. :)

Good luck.

Not advising you to my study habits, but they helped me.

What method did you use to convert the EK books to pdf files conveniently?

My goodness :) How long did it take for you to do that totally..........you obviously is a very patient person. :)

I have no patience. I had a movie on my ipad.

it nearly killed me to self-test under timed conditions. trust me.

I'm also VERY outgoing. Killing off my social life... :(

Reactions: 1 user
I have no patience. I had a movie on my ipad.

it nearly killed me to self-test under timed conditions. trust me.

I'm also VERY outgoing. Killing off my social life... :(

Many of us at SDN campus share how you felt with respect. Again, thank you for your comments.

Thanks for the reply! I would but I am taking organic this summer.
I wont be taking the EK class. Its too far away from my house (1.5 hours )
I want to take a prep course for structure more than anything.

Okay lol well obviously I'm going to say that tutoring is a better $ investment if you're looking for some external force to apply structure to you :p

Anyway, if you're taking a summer course that still leaves you time to start reading the EK books. I'd suggest trying to read your way through them once over the summer concurrent with your orgo classes. Then come back and review them. A multi-pass (MULTIPASS) approach is the way to go when it comes to getting it all to sink in:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-100-days-to-mcat-success.1043255/

Maybe take that study plan and stretch it out to ~150 days.