feel cold after eating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manutdfan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do I feel cold after eating a meal? One of those things that I always wondered about the human body.

I understand that more blood going to the stomach/intestines, but hoping for a more in-depth, physiological explanation. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine it must depend on the food. When I eat Panda Express I get really hot actually.

What's really interesting is feeling tired after eating. It had to do with the bicarbonate shift and temporary metabolic alkalosis leading to respiratory depression and mild hypoxemia.

I think eating cold food would probably drop your body temperature enough to cause some peripheral vasoconstriction and the feeling of being "colder" but I'm not entirely sure.

Im guessing it's because all the blood is going to the stomach/intestine to digest the food, so less blood in the periphery and u feel cold. I guess the same reason you feel tired/sleepy cause of less blood going to the brain.

Also maybe because when you eat you secrete H+ in stomach, so you get metabolic alkalosis and compensate with respirstory acidosis = less o2 in the brain = tired.....i dunno