Feeling a bit down...advice please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaurenElle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please move if this isn't in the right thread.

Anyway, I love biology but my dilemma is that I've noticed all of the students in my lab class "gets" what we are doing straight away and I don't. I have to work and work and work for me to understand something, same goes with chemistry. I've noticed nothing really comes natural to me and I have to work twice as hard. I'm feeling a bit bummed because I will try my best and maybe end up with a B or a C and I don't feel like that is good enough for me to ever get accepted into a medical school. I know medicine is something I really want so I'm feeling a bit stressed/discouraged. I know having a pity party isn't good but I could use some advice. Has anyone ever been in a position somewhat like me? Tutors help me a lot but sadly I can't afford one on one tutoring so I'm not sure how to go about that. Sorry If my post is messy, I'm typing on my phone. Also I'm classified as a sophomore in college

Members don't see this ad.

To know medicine is something you really want you need to expose yourself to clinical experiences such as volunteering in a hospital or clinic or hospice home or shadowing a doctor. If you do that and you can imagine yourself doing those things with enjoyment for the rest of your life then you certainly have the passion for medicine.

But, the academics part cannot be overlook. Medical schools usually overlook poor grades during a student's freshmen year so long as there is a trend of improvement the following years. Do you have any learning disabilities? Many times students are able to understand certain subjects better than others. If you have trouble understanding the sciences that could be due to a lot of reasons. Lack of interest, poor study habits, inadequate learning environment, etc. I understand your feeling because I had difficulty understanding Physics in college when I first took it and it took me much longer than others to fully grasp it. I would say to not give up and continue working towards your passion. Even if you determine medicine is not your passion there are other great career opportunities available. You're still a sophomore, which leaves plenty of time to explore stuff. Good luck.

Remember that you're only seeing the end result of other people's work, while having to see every tough step along the road to your own understanding.

Chances are that your classmates who seem to "get" what's going on quickly are working very hard behind the scenes. Some of them will claim they don't, but people often have this weird propensity for claiming they have to put in no effort to have success--don't buy it.

Does your school have free tutoring? Could you find a motivated, focused study group?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go visit your school's learning or education center for help with your learning style, study tips, time mgt, test taking skills, etc.

Anyway, I love biology but my dilemma is that I've noticed all of the students in my lab class "gets" what we are doing straight away and I don't. I have to work and work and work for me to understand something, same goes with chemistry. I've noticed nothing really comes natural to me and I have to work twice as hard. I'm feeling a bit bummed because I will try my best and maybe end up with a B or a C and I don't feel like that is good enough for me to ever get accepted into a medical school. I know medicine is something I really want so I'm feeling a bit stressed/discouraged. I know having a pity party isn't good but I could use some advice. Has anyone ever been in a position somewhat like me? Tutors help me a lot but sadly I can't afford one on one tutoring so I'm not sure how to go about that. Sorry If my post is messy, I'm typing on my phone. Also I'm classified as a sophomore in college

Reactions: 1 users
The above advice is great. Also read up on the lab before hand and ask yourself why you're doing each thing. Especially in chemistry lab it's difficult to know why you're really doing anything. So many steps and chemicals can make it convoluted. What helps me is to really think about why this chemical is being used on that chemical, and if I can't answer why then I go to a friend or the professor. Most people don't care about really understanding labs, so the professors in my experience have been happy when they see you really trying to understand why you're doing what you're doing.
Also, don't just give up if you really, really can't understand a subject. I never understood why I was doing anything in physics. I never will. I'm just learning concepts and tricks from the MCAT books to hopefully do well, but my brain and physics will never be friends.

Reactions: 1 user
If you love biology keep at it, try not to get discouraged. There is a tutoring center at my college that offers 2 free hours of tutoring. Yours may do the same or something similar. You can also ask your class mates to study with you. Forming study groups has been a tremendous help for me. Science classes are tough and it will take great amounts of effort to do well in them. It is easy to get discouraged, but don't condemn yourself to getting a B or a C right now, there is power in positive thinking. You can get A's just work work work and you will surprise yourself.

When I first started my pre-calc class this semester, I felt similar to you. I was working so hard and getting subpar grades compared to my classmates who just "got it".

Now, three weeks later, they ask me for advice. I put a lot of effort in and finally see returns. My point being that perhaps they really don't get it, it just looks like they do, and the effort you're putting in now will pay off.

Or maybe I'm wrong and you really are struggling (try not to compare yourself. I'm a hypocrite right? But really, it's YOUR grade.) If so, evaluate why:

Learning style isn't appropriate- science cannot be memorized for full comprehension. You really have to test yourself to see if you understand the whole picture

Or maybe, you're not focusing in lectures. Or not attending.. or not studying. I don't know you. You have to question yourself for this.

I felt the same way! Maybe you're not studying enough. That was my issue. I started reading the book before class, attending office hours, and STUDYING more. I had class MWF. Tu/Th, Sa, and Su, I would study from 8am-7pm. I got straight A's my senior year. I then did a postbaccalaureate program at another University of California (UC), and got straight A's. I had like a 2.7 gpa after my first 2 years. I boosted it up to a 3.3 GPA. Also, those people in your class just know how to present themselves. I thought there were a bunch of geniuses in my lab classes until I really got to know them. They were as lost as me! And one of them got an F in the lab!

I agree with blackkrim. Nobody just "gets" anything and the amount of time/work required for one person to get something vs. another isn't as high as you'd think.

Your situation reminds me of guy in general bio who seemed to know everything immediately. Turns out he got a 4 in AP Biology and had read parts of his sister's Campbell book before the semester even started. Figures. (But he loved making people think he was just "naturally smart")

You said you really want to do medicine - there are other routes aside from MD/DO for medicine.

Pharm, PA, nursing etc