Feeling discouraged as a nontrad, advise me please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mywinxx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just discovered this forum which has been very informative so far!

I wanted to post a little bit about myself and see what people think. I am so far very discouraged by the MCAT. I've been studying quite a lot, but I feel like I will never be prepared! It's just so much information, and it's been several years since I took these classes, and even then I am not even sure I could have taken the MCAT well.

So I went to undergrad at the University of Georgia, majored in Environmental Health Science. AP-ed out of gen Bio, but I did take genetics, microbiology, and comparative vertebrate anatomy. Took chem and orgo as well, did meh in orgo. Also took biochemistry, physics, you know the usual pre-med stuff. I thought I would apply right out of college, but instead I did this 5 year program to get my MPH at the same time as my BSEH. So then I thought I'd apply for entrance 2013, but I took the MCAT and did not do as well as I wanted. I got a 29. So I finished my MPH in Fall 2013, and got a job at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as a public health analyst working in global tobacco control. I've been there about a year, and now I decided I do want to go to medical school, so I've been trying to study for the MCAT, but it's hard coming home from work and studying!! But I'm doing it anyway.

My gpa as an undergrad was 3.45 and my gpa as a grad was 3.76. My science gpa is also not spectacular. I am very concerned that my next MCAT score will be the same or even worse than my first. How much of an advantage is having my MPH and a year or two experience at the CDC? And applying to med schools out of state - is that a waste of time/money? I know med schools usually pick applicants that are in-state... My dad lives in California and I'd like to join him out there if that is possible. I know Cali med schools are pretty selective. I've been looking at schools all day today and researching them, and feeling mildly discouraged by their "applicant profiles" from previous entering classes. Any words of advice or encouragement out there?? Retaking the MCAT is probably my biggest fear right now...

THANKS EVERYONE :)

Members don't see this ad.

Are you aiming for MD or DO? and are you a URM?

I wanted to post a little bit about myself and see what people think. I am so far very discouraged by the MCAT. I've been studying quite a lot, but I feel like I will never be prepared! It's just so much information, and it's been several years since I took these classes, and even then I am not even sure I could have taken the MCAT well.

So I went to undergrad at the University of Georgia, majored in Environmental Health Science. AP-ed out of gen Bio, but I did take genetics, microbiology, and comparative vertebrate anatomy. Took chem and orgo as well, did meh in orgo. Also took biochemistry, physics, you know the usual pre-med stuff. I thought I would apply right out of college, but instead I did this 5 year program to get my MPH at the same time as my BSEH. So then I thought I'd apply for entrance 2013, but I took the MCAT and did not do as well as I wanted. I got a 29. So I finished my MPH in Fall 2013, and got a job at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as a public health analyst working in global tobacco control. I've been there about a year, and now I decided I do want to go to medical school, so I've been trying to study for the MCAT, but it's hard coming home from work and studying!! But I'm doing it anyway.

My gpa as an undergrad was 3.45 and my gpa as a grad was 3.76. My science gpa is also not spectacular. I am very concerned that my next MCAT score will be the same or even worse than my first. How much of an advantage is having my MPH and a year or two experience at the CDC? And applying to med schools out of state - is that a waste of time/money? I know med schools usually pick applicants that are in-state... My dad lives in California and I'd like to join him out there if that is possible. I know Cali med schools are pretty selective. I've been looking at schools all day today and researching them, and feeling mildly discouraged by their "applicant profiles" from previous entering classes. Any words of advice or encouragement out there?? Retaking the MCAT is probably my biggest fear right now...

That GPA isn't great but it's not damning. Your mcat isn't atrocious either. You could easily get into DO but if you want to go md you'll need an mcat of probably 34+ to offset that gpa at a minimum.

Applying out of state to private schools is not a waste of time or money because they won't have in state preferences. Pick up a cheap old copy of the msar (I got the 2011-12) from amazon and use that to help you research and look at schools preference for in state vs out of state there. Quick rule of thumb is if the tuition differs based on residency they're biased.

Members don't see this ad :)
That GPA isn't great but it's not damning. Your mcat isn't atrocious either. You could easily get into DO but if you want to go md you'll need an mcat of probably 34+ to offset that gpa at a minimum.

Applying out of state to private schools is not a waste of time or money because they won't have in state preferences. Pick up a cheap old copy of the msar (I got the 2011-12) from amazon and use that to help you research and look at schools preference for in state vs out of state there. Quick rule of thumb is if the tuition differs based on residency they're biased.

I'd be careful with the old MSAR. A lot can (and has) changed in only 3 years so just be aware of that.

Keep in mind MCAT expiration date and make sure to check that out for each school as well

I'd be careful with the old MSAR. A lot can (and has) changed in only 3 years so just be aware of that.

True. Any schools the OP does take interest in should be looked at more closely on their website and such. A copy of 11-12 would get them a solid base for knowing how competitive schools are in comparison with each other, and the in-state / out of state preferences aren't going to change. I read it recreationally on the bus for some easy, cursory glances at a lot of schools without having to navigate a dozen websites for the same information on focuses and mission statements. When a school piques my interest i just look into them more later.

My undergrad is only slightly more than yours and my grad is slightly less. My MCAT is much lower, but I am sitting on two waitlists at my top two schools (both MD. no acceptances yet though) and I did a year and a half at the CDC as a consultant. When I applied DO a few years ago with the same numbers, I was ignored. Don't completely count MD out although California is hard even with perfect GPA and scores.

The only advice I would give is not to apply heavily to California. Med school apps require quite a bit of effort, and there is a finite number you can submit due to time limitations (unlike residency, where you can submit over 100 apps because it's one standardized application). If you apply, for example, to 14 schools, applying to 7 California MD schools would be a terrible waste. If you're borderline, why decrease your chances? Just not worth it.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I think your experience at the CDC is pretty damn cool. That combined with your MPH helps you stand out just a little bit - if you know how you want to use that experience as a physician and frame it properly in your personal statement, you could sell yourself well to adcoms. Provide them a vision for who you want to be as a physician.

Concur with my learned colleague gyngyn. Your numbers are competitive for a bunch of low-tier MD schools in addition to all DO programs, including mine. Just apply broadly. Use MSAR Online (the current one). If you can claim GA residence, Mercer and PCOM-GA should be looked at.

MCG would also look at him with those numbers. I was waitlisted twice for them.