Feeling overwhelmed by course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mintysparkle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I decided to post here instead of DO or Pre-dental (my two main interests) because I feel like there are better responses here. If this is offensive, please let me know and I will promptly remove. I just wanted more feedback and I found this forum to provide great advice (not to negate the others) so I hope there is no offense taken.

I am currently taking:
Biology 102 (second half of general biology) with lab
Physics (introductory physics) 201 with lab
Organic Chemistry (first semester) with lab.

In the beginning, everyone around me was telling me that it's completely do-able and won't be hard if I can hack the time management. I created an hour by hour schedule and plotted out time to study. However, I find that I am literally drowning every single week. In the very first week I spoke to my organic professor and sought advice on if I should keep this class schedule and she was telling me it's manageable and I could do it if I worked hard. Likewise, the second and third week when I was feeling overwhelmed my other professor's gave similar responses. I ended up quitting my full-time job in order to fully dedicate my time to these classes. However, I am still performing badly. Even when I try to organize my time I find that basically s*@t happens (sorry for cursing) and I'm never as prepared as I need to be. I feel as if for example it would take an average person 8 hours to study it would take me 16 and I don't have time to be prepared for these classes. I basically survive day to day getting through the day, there's no time for me to prepare for the next lecture or re-write my notes etc.

On all of my first exam's I failed every single one. In the 40's on every single one which was gruesome. Luckily I could drop an orgo exam. After that I decided before the next exams I would make sure to attend all optional student instructor (SI) sessions and try to prepare as much as possible. I have been attending SI's 3x a week even often being the only student there. I thought I would be in a better place for the Exam 2's however in class today for organic the instructor gave us practice problems and I wasn't able to start it right away without looking at my notes and she said "If you guys do not know how to begin this problems at this point in the game, I feel really sorry for you". Of course I had to be the one who didn't know how to start.

Then I attended the Biology SI where she gave us a practice exam and I also didn't do well and the SI instructor said "Dude how do you not know these? These are so easy just memorize them, your course load isn't even that hard. Quit being lazy and suck it up."

The thing is...I'm trying. I really am, I just feel overwhelmed. I have the Biology exam tomorrow and the Orgo Exam Thursday. The last day to drop classes is October 26 however I already have about 8 W's on my transcript (4 from an advisor screw up) but the other 4 just by my own fault. They were in important pre-requisite classes so I really think I am knocking myself out of the game.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

What is your method of studying? You might have an issue with time management within your allotted time of studying.

If you can't handle 3 classes at the same time, I don't know how you can expect to graduate in close to 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Organic Chemistry is the real time cruncher. It requires a different style of learning. Biology and Physics should not be that bad since they are basic science courses everyone takes. Don't try studying for all three classes on the same day. Spend one day on each class and go meet with professors/TA's. What year are you in school, you should know this by now? If you are struggling this much then something is wrong with your studying habits and you need to seek the help from an advisor or counselor now before your transcript takes you out of the game for applying to schools. If you are spending as much time as you say you are then you should not be failing.

If you cannot do well or are really stressed then withdraw from 1 class. I mean it will not look good because you have other W's, but it is better than failing 1 or all 3 classes. I would recommend withdrawing from organic or physics as these classes tend to be more involved and will free up some time.

Now to be a bit harsh: if you are having trouble now with the general courses do you really think dental school is where you want to go. Things will get harder, much much harder. 8 W's alerts schools that you either do not plan appropriately for your schedule or you fail to perform well in classes. You really can't explain these issues in a good way on the application (admissions most likely won't accept that your advisor screwed up 4 of the W's).

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I decided to post here instead of DO or Pre-dental (my two main interests) because I feel like there are better responses here. If this is offensive, please let me know and I will promptly remove. I just wanted more feedback and I found this forum to provide great advice (not to negate the others) so I hope there is no offense taken.
I'm already offended

Reactions: 3 users
If you can't handle 3 classes at the same time, I don't know how you can expect to graduate in close to 4 years.

It's these three classes combined together specifically that's torturing my soul. They're all very time consuming and the way it's structured with the laboratories are driving me crazy. But I agree, this is a good representation of how my abilities will be in dental or other schools.

You do realize that medical school will be a lot harder than the 12 credits you're taking now?

Go seek out your school's education or learning center and get help with your learning style, time mgt, etc.

Hi,

I am currently taking:

In the beginning, everyone around me was telling me that it's completely do-able and won't be hard if I can hack the time management. I created an hour by hour schedule and plotted out time to study. However, I find that I am literally drowning every single week. In the very first week I spoke to my organic professor and sought advice on if I should keep this class schedule and she was telling me it's manageable and I could do it if I worked hard. Likewise, the second and third week when I was feeling overwhelmed my other professor's gave similar responses. I ended up quitting my full-time job in order to fully dedicate my time to these classes. However, I am still performing badly. Even when I try to organize my time I find that basically s*@t happens (sorry for cursing) and I'm never as prepared as I need to be. I feel as if for example it would take an average person 8 hours to study it would take me 16 and I don't have time to be prepared for these classes. I basically survive day to day getting through the day, there's no time for me to prepare for the next lecture or re-write my notes etc.

On all of my first exam's I failed every single one. In the 40's on every single one which was gruesome. Luckily I could drop an orgo exam. After that I decided before the next exams I would make sure to attend all optional student instructor (SI) sessions and try to prepare as much as possible. I have been attending SI's 3x a week even often being the only student there. I thought I would be in a better place for the Exam 2's however in class today for organic the instructor gave us practice problems and I wasn't able to start it right away without looking at my notes and she said "If you guys do not know how to begin this problems at this point in the game, I feel really sorry for you". Of course I had to be the one who didn't know how to start.

Then I attended the Biology SI where she gave us a practice exam and I also didn't do well and the SI instructor said "Dude how do you not know these? These are so easy just memorize them, your course load isn't even that hard. Quit being lazy and suck it up."

The thing is...I'm trying. I really am, I just feel overwhelmed. I have the Biology exam tomorrow and the Orgo Exam Thursday. The last day to drop classes is October 26 however I already have about 8 W's on my transcript (4 from an advisor screw up) but the other 4 just by my own fault. They were in important pre-requisite classes so I really think I am knocking myself out of the game.

It's these three classes combined together specifically that's torturing my soul. They're all very time consuming and the way it's structured with the laboratories are driving me crazy. But I agree, this is a good representation of how my abilities will be in dental or other schools.
It's not the classes youre taking, but the method you are using to learn the material. I took 4 other classes alongside the 3 that you mentioned and did fine. That method I used for undergrad doesn't work for medical school. My point is that being successful in school is as simple as adapting to the flow and type of information being presented. It's learning how to learn. You're finding out the hard way.

3 classes is a full load at my school, I'm sure all students here would have a problem with those classes. Actually, the smartest kid I know had a problem taking those classes.

Reactions: 1 users
3 classes is a full load at my school, I'm sure all students here would have a problem with those classes. Actually, the smartest kid I know had a problem taking those classes.
wtf 3 is a full load? That's like part time...

3-4 is a full course load at most quarter system schools (correct me if I'm wrong). Learning a whole class worth of material in 8 weeks is easier said than done lol.

3-4 is a full course load at most quarter system schools (correct me if I'm wrong). Learning a whole class worth of material in 8 weeks is easier said than done lol.
I guess I didn't consider quarters. I thought nearly everyone did semesters.

3 courses is in fact a full course load at many schools with a quarter system. 4 would generally put you somewhere between 18-20 credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice to OP:

1. Join a club or intramural sports team (if you aren't already doing sports). Exercise is a great and healthy way to increase focus and brain power.

2. Eat healthy foods - sugar lows/highs can play havoc with your brain.

3. Keep a regular 8 hour sleep schedule. This isn't everyone's style, but for me I work much better when I know that I'm always going to have to go to sleep at 11, whether or not I get enough time to study... this keeps me from procrastinating. Also, good sleep = better brain.

4. Don't procrastinate - do the reading before class, and never save all your studying for the day/week before the exam.

5. Change the way you study. It's obviously not working for you. Do you have some sort of learning center at your school? If so, it's worth checking it out.

6. Find a (good) study group, if possible. Sit in the front rows to meet the smart kids if you must.

7. Do practice problems. Save the reading for before class, and then concentrate most on just doing a ton of practice problems before exams, since that's really what's going to be on the exam.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My advice to OP:

1. Join a club or intramural sports team (if you aren't already doing sports). Exercise is a great and healthy way to increase focus and brain power.

3. Keep a regular 8 hour sleep schedule. This isn't everyone's style, but for me I work much better when I know that I'm always going to have to go to sleep at 11, whether or not I get enough time to study... this keeps me from procrastinating. Also, good sleep = better brain.

4. Don't procrastinate - do the reading before class, and never save all your studying for the day/week before the exam.

5. Change the way you study. It's obviously not working for you. Do you have some sort of learning center at your school? If so, it's worth checking it out.

6. Find a (good) study group, if possible. Sit in the front rows to meet the smart kids if you must.

7. Do practice problems. Save the reading for before class, and then concentrate most on just doing a ton of practice problems before exams, since that's really what's going to be on the exam.
OP should be avoiding any extraneous activities until they bring their class grades up...

OP should be avoiding any extraneous activities until they bring their class grades up...
Correct. OP should not even sleep

Reactions: 9 users
My advice to OP:

I need to print this out and attach above desk lol. :)

OP, no offense, but I find it hard to believe that you tried your very best in the preparation for those exams. I mean, failed every single of the 3 exams?! That's a bit too much... Evaluate your approach to studying, and be honest with yourself. Are you really studying during those hours or are you more like checking Facebook every 10 minutes or listening to music or watching TV at the same time? One of my roommates was studying for her Orgo exam yesterday while having Gossip Girls on... yet she herself believes that she's studying! haha So that's why I'm saying that you need to be honest with yourself. Best of luck!

I went to a college with the semester system and there, Bio II + lab = 4 credits, Phys I + lab = 4 credits and Organic I + lab = 4 credits, which would put her at full-time.

Hi,

I am currently taking:

At this point, I'd probably cut my losses and drop at least one class at this point and focus on the others. To be honest, I'd probably even consider dropping all of them and regrouping for next semester (i.e. figuring out what went wrong, changing your study habits such that the same mistakes aren't repeated, etc) since you didn't mention being able to drop a low test grade in Phys or Bio, which makes me wonder if C's in the classes are even possible. At this point, See how you do on your upcoming tests first, I guess. If you do end up dropping all of the classes, I'd structure the semester differently next time. If you end up retaking Organic, a lot of people on this site swear by the "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" book as pre-reading before starting the course.

I'd drop the classes you that would be extremely hard to do well in from now on (Probably Orgo) and use this semester to solidify those study habits before taking it again.

I went to a college with the semester system and there, Bio II + lab = 4 credits, Phys I + lab = 4 credits and Organic I + lab = 4 credits, which would put her at full-time.
Sure, 12 credits is full time but it's not difficult. And I doubt you can graduate on time at 12 credits/semester.

Always pair difficult classes, with easier ones. Even though you are only taking orgo, physics, and biology, those 3 classes are difficult and thus, a very full load. Take physics and organic some other time and add some easy English or psychology classes in there.

Thank you everyone so much for all your advice. I plan on incorporating everything mentioned and gonna regroup and figure what's going wrong whether it my mental, structure, habits, etc. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart for taking the time out to respond, each and every one of you.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in my 3rd year of med school but I feel your pain. Keep working hard. Don't give up. It's hard to take 3 science classes at once. I personally think it's better to take 1-2 science classes at a time and then fill up the rest of your schedule with other required non-science (easier) classes so that you have time to focus on the less science material and hopefully do better.

Okay, don't pull something like me and take 6 hard classes (21ch) all at once - it was overwhelming at first but I am finally doing very well and I learned better methods of study. Talk to someone (or many people) or maybe form study groups for those classes?

Okay, don't pull something like me and take 6 hard classes (21ch) all at once - it was overwhelming at first but I am finally doing very well and I learned better methods of study. Talk to someone (or many people) or maybe form study groups for those classes?
Nice humble brag

Reactions: 2 users