Feeling stupid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockey833

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm the type of student who got A's in all my intro and most middle level classes and am having a downward trend in my gpa. I feel too stupid for upper level classes like anatomy or neurobiology. I do slightly better than average on tests that would equate to a B grade but med schools need to see consistent A's and its making me think I can never go to med school.

I obviously have a good foundation from previous classes, my extracurriculars are great but im sitting at 3.3 gpa which bordlerline cutoff for med school my senior year and after getting B's on all my tests I'm afraid because my gpa cant take anymore B's.

Is postbac looking like a requirement? What study tips am I missing out on? Read before lecture? I tend to just go to class, read book along class(not all classes), reread book/slides before test, take test

Members don't see this ad.

I got through neurobiology (A+!) by making myself about a million Anki flashcards. Is there anything in particular you're having a hard time with?

If you're cool with applying to DO schools, then you don't have to do a postbac.

Mainly time management since I work, do research, and am president of pre-med club. Last year had very bad relationship that screwed my grades bad. (C's in org 2 and physics 1). Neuro for example got 82 on test class average was 74. So not doing horrible but still not good. My buddy who took the mcat and did good got an 89% so it worries me. I just bombed my anatomy practical today and feel i need to put more time into studying in general but dont have that time or if i do i want to spend it relaxing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought of it but theres the stigma that would bother me potentially. I'm really focused on the md schools in my state

Mainly time management since I work, do research, and am president of pre-med club. Last year had very bad relationship that screwed my grades bad. (C's in org 2 and physics 1). Neuro for example got 82 on test class average was 74. So not doing horrible but still not good. My buddy who took the mcat and did good got an 89% so it worries me. I just bombed my anatomy practical today and feel i need to put more time into studying in general but dont have that time or if i do i want to spend it relaxing.

I'm sure MCAT scores correlate poorly with your neurobiology class.

Have you tried reaching out to the schools in your state and asking them about requirements and how to make yourself more competitive?

Do you have a premed adviser? Is tutoring an option for you?

Don't beat yourself up. You can fix this. You're not stupid.

Last edited:
I'm the type of student who got A's in all my intro and most middle level classes and am having a downward trend in my gpa. I feel too stupid for upper level classes like anatomy or neurobiology. I do slightly better than average on tests that would equate to a B grade but med schools need to see consistent A's and its making me think I can never go to med school.

Upper level biology classes aren't difficult compared to upper level classes in other areas (like the physical sciences). They can be very irritating though. The key to do well is by repetition and flashcards (like Anki).

As of now, just aim to do well in your classes with focused memorization/repetition, consult any supplementary resources, attend office hours etc. Try to graduate with an okay GPA (around a 3.4) and plan from there. Also consider DO schools.

I'm sure MCAT scores correlate poorly with your neurobiology class.

Or any class for that matter.

Does the career center at your school offer time management skills workshops? Figure out what's causing you to the feel this way and then work from there.

Tutoring was an option but my schools stops offering free tutoring after most basic classes and leave you to fend for yourself for upper level classes or pay $ which i dont have.

You might have to go DO if you're at a 3.3 in your senior year. You're down near the 10th percentile GPA for even the lowest tier MD schools.

If you are having a hard time finding time to study, then like I said: flashcards. Put them on an app on your phone and work on them in all those little in-between moments in life. Waiting for the subway, waiting in line at Chipotle, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah probably need to stop being lazy and better at managing time. I love everything I'm learning and thought I knew everything for anatomy and did great first test, ended up with an 82 as well. just disappointing. Given I had 3 tests that day it just sucks.
I'm at a 3.3 guys, literally cant get anymore B's.

My strategy for studying the upper level sciences is drilling the vocab terms into your head via anki, quizlet, or whatever, to the point that you can answer questions almost by word association without even having to think. It helped me get an A in biochem last semester, kill the mcat, and now I am even peer tutoring in the life sciences. As @Cotterpin suggests above, spaced repetition works!

Reactions: 1 user
Ok guys thank you. I have a friend who reads her notes every night before bed and gets A's every time. Psychology has proven spaced timing. I will do and report back next test. any other resources besides quizlet or flashcards? youtube videos?

Ok guys thank you. I have a friend who reads her notes every night before bed and gets A's every time. Psychology has proven spaced timing. I will do and report back next test. any other resources besides quizlet or flashcards? youtube videos?

:thumbup: Good luck. Youtube videos can be good depending on what you are doing. I used a lot of youtube videos during biochem class to help visualize the translation initiation, elongation, and termination of the prokaryotic/eukaryotic ribosomes and different types of DNA repair. For the mcat I used a lot of Khan Academy videos to help me visualize biology and biochem, especially for things like the sarcoplasmic reticulum and muscle action potentials and carbohydrate chemistry and any topics that are easier to watch and learn about rathern than read about in a block of text. If you are reading something and having a difficult time trying to picture it completely in your head, watch a video!