feeling very behind...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwerty934

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm only 24.5 years old and graduated from college back in 2013 with 3.14 with 19AA 20TS 22PAT (16RC)
Seeing people out there who are way younger than I am pulling off awesome stats and getting accepted on their first try is very discouraging.
I applied this cycle and did not make it in.
Even when I graduated from college I had no plan in my life.
I wanted to become a dentist because of their financial security.
Things are different now. My calling for dentistry is coming from truly deep down my heart ever since I worked as an assistant at a great office with great team for almost two years.
I was too busy playing when I was in college and I regret so much right now for what I've done in the past.
At the moment, I am trying my best to become a stronger applicant while studying for DAT so I can retake in the summer. I will also be in the post-bacc program in the fall to make up for poor GPA.
But seeing my closest friend getting accepted into one of the best dental schools in the country is very discouraging to me. According to his stats, he seems almost guaranteed for 3-year HPSP scholarship as well. He is my best friend, but seeing all of his achievements while comparing to mine right now is very discouraging and hard.
I know there are a lot of people out there who are older than I am, but I just can't stop comparing myself with other people.
My only intention of writing this post is to make my mental health become more stable.
I just need some words of advice
well well well.... looks like the nerds always get the last laugh.

My word of advice to you is this. Do your best at everything, and don't look back.

I'm only 24.5 years old and graduated from college back in 2013 with 3.14 with 19AA 20TS 22PAT (16RC)
Seeing people out there who are way younger than I am pulling off awesome stats and getting accepted on their first try is very discouraging.
Things are different now. My calling for dentistry is coming from truly deep down my heart ever since I worked as an assistant at a great office with great team for almost two years.
I was too busy playing when I was in college and I regret so much right now for what I've done in the past.
At the moment, I am trying my best to become a stronger applicant while studying for DAT so I can retake in the summer. I will also be in the post-bacc program in the fall to make up for poor GPA.
But seeing my closest friend getting accepted into one of the best dental schools in the country is very discouraging to me. According to his stats, he seems almost guaranteed for 3-year HPSP scholarship as well. He is my best friend, but seeing all of his achievements while comparing to mine right now is very discouraging and hard.
I know there are a lot of people out there who are older than I am, but I just can't stop comparing myself with other people.
My only intention of writing this post is to make my mental health become more stable.
Hey you, don't feel down. The past has passed. Look forward to the future and better your application. As long as you know what went wrong and what to improve on, it's never too late. Everybody has different experiences in life. I bet I don't have the experiences that you have so don't worry too much. A lot of dental students are over 25, too.

I promise this will give you a boost whenever you want to give up!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I second everything @hannah_hoac said and I will add that you should use this situation to motivate yourself. Get cracking, work hard, and you will enjoy an acceptance soon enough!

There is a saying that Failure breeds success. Don't use your poor past to inhibit your efforts; use your past failures to drive your success. Good luck! If you need more encouragement, feel free to PM me anytime.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I also felt discouraged this past cycle. I hated getting on this site and seeing everyone's great stats compared to mine and seeing different schools offering interviews/acceptances so often. Before driving myself insane I made a decision to not check this website for any reason or keep up with social media (didn't want to see friends keep getting accepted while it was silent for me). So, I quit looking at this site and knew I needed to focus on myself and possibly reapplying while not worrying how others are doing. After about 2 weeks of not checking in on this site I got an acceptance to my top choice. Keep your head up and do whatever you feel necessary to not be discouraged.

Reactions: 2 users
You're in a rut. So what? You know what you want to do so now you have to work.

Reactions: 1 user
I think there are a lot of other people who have it worse. I think you should appreciate where you are now because you seem to mostly have it together (graduated college, having a job, having at least one motivated friend, and figured out what you want to do for the rest of your life). So don't feel discouraged but keep working to make yourself better, not just for dental school, but for yourself. If it's really what you want to do, then work on it. A professor (multiple titles including MD, PhD, MPH) told me his secret to success is that when something is so difficult that it seems impossible, he'd tell himself that it's possible and it's just going to take a little bit more time to work on it. I wish you the best!

looks like your friend got into UOP dental school.

Is there a statistic number that is specific for "guaranteed HSPS scholarship"?

it is ok. you had a great time in college while ur bff may be busy studying and not experiencing college life much. Now, you just have to do the trade-off which is going back to college and study more

Thank you everyone for support and encouragement. It will help me a lot.
I'll work my butt off to kick ass on DAT re-take and 4.0 GPA during post-bacc.

I think I need some time off of SDN and improve myself rather than keep myself discouraged.

Thank you all again.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you everyone for support and encouragement. It will help me a lot.
I'll work my butt off to kick ass on DAT re-take and 4.0 GPA during post-bacc.

I think I need some time off of SDN and improve myself rather than keep myself discouraged.

Thank you all again.

Hey there, just wanted to say keep going at it and never give up if this is what you really want. You can do it :) Just study hard and focus and it will all pay off. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users