Fees in practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jc812

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not asking for medical advice, I'm asking for financial advice! (this is allowed, right?)

My dentist has started to charge me for an "OSHA" fee which is $45 per visit. (excluding cleanings). Filling? Must charge an OSHA fee. Inlay? Must charge an OSHA fee. What I want to know is whether or not this is a legit fee to charge patients, how much dentists actually charge their patients for following OSHA guidelines, and what I can do about this?

The dentist I go to is great, but is part of a "group", so he is employed by another dentist which I have never seen. This is not his doing, but his employers doing. Admin and the hygienist are not that great, but I like the dentist!

Members don't see this ad.

Put aside the fees associated with each procedure for a second and compare how much the total costs are for each procedure from one dentist to another. The other dentist down the street may already include all the fees (materials, handling, labor, disposal of wastes, overhead) into their final number whereas your dentist is going into a little more detail of what the overhead entails.

edit to add: they can pretty much charge you anything they want to.

Refuse to pay. See what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with DrJeff. This is ridiculous. Image and attach a copy of the bill.