Fellow Canadians.... Financing COSTat NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarasam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian from Ontario and got accepted to NYU. I’d like you to share with me how you are paying for your tuition and living expenses.

NYU is around $95,000US (based on their budgeting sheet (that includes the tuition and cost of living). I am trying to get $150,000 CAD ($124000 US) as student loan from Royal bank of Canada (RBC), The Financial advisor at RBC said they will give me a portion of that 150000 loan over the four years.

I am also counting on 7,000 CAD (5800US) from OSAP every year.

That means I would end up with something around 44,500 CAD (36700 US). Since I am an international student I don’t think I can get any scholarship from the school.
I am very worried that if I can’t find a way to finance my education, I think I have to kiss my dream career good-bye. What are my best options to get the remaining ($58000 US)?

Members don't see this ad.

At first, ask your financial office/department advisor/director at your d-school, he or she had to deal with international students before...so they can figure that out.
GL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you do any military stuff?

As a Canadian, I can tell you right now that we cannot enlist in the American military at all. And the Canadian Military will not pay for you attend a dental school outside of Canada.

So, no.

Last edited:
I am very worried that if I can't find a way to finance my education, I think I have to kiss my dream career good-bye. What are my best options to get the remaining ($58000 US)?

From what they told me at the interviews I attended. Private loans from USA Banks are basically the only option left. But if this is the case, you most likely need a co-signer in the USA. This means that you need to have someone who trusts you a great deal who is an American to assume the risk of the entirety of the loan if you bail.

And, that is 58000$ US / year... yeah it's a lot of money...

I'm surprised OSAP isn't giving you more..

You know.. it's one thing to figure out how you can take out all these loans, but I want to know why you aren't planning out how you are going to pay back these loans? Don't you think that is kind of irresponsible?

What kind of income do you think you will be earning? How much does that leave for living post-dental school graduation.. And then a re-evaluation of is dentistry worth it?

I got 200,000 from RBC but i had a cosigner.
BMO will give you 150,000 with a cosigner.

It's not like you have to pay the whole amount up front, is it? A lot can happen in 2-3 years. You could even marry an American co-signer! At the very least, the economy might improve and your bank might open up the coffers again for you. I would also watch the currency exchange rate -- wasn't the Canadian dollar worth more than the US dollar, just within the last year?

It's not like you have to pay the whole amount up front, is it? A lot can happen in 2-3 years. You could even marry an American co-signer! At the very least, the economy might improve and your bank might open up the coffers again for you. I would also watch the currency exchange rate -- wasn't the Canadian dollar worth more than the US dollar, just within the last year?

Maybe the Obama administration will keep printing so much money to publicly finance everyone's credit card and mortgage debts, CD$1 will be worth US$200,000 well before you graduate. Just think how easy it will be to pay off those USD loans then!

But on a more serious note, I would highly reccommend you do whatever you can to get into a really lucrative specialty...

You know.. it's one thing to figure out how you can take out all these loans, but I want to know why you aren't planning out how you are going to pay back these loans? Don't you think that is kind of irresponsible?

What kind of income do you think you will be earning? How much does that leave for living post-dental school graduation.. And then a re-evaluation of is dentistry worth it?

I think most likely he will pay back the loans by being a dentist. For me, I will pick the cheapest dental school. However, if I have no choice, I will still go to an expensive school like CASE or NYU. Lots of ppl want to be a dentist because it provide finacial stability. Also, if he chooses to work in the states, then it will be hard but not that hard to pay it back, especially in New York. However, if coming back to Canada, it might be harder to pay back the loan. About the loan, you can negotiate with the bank. I think the best way is to just go to one of the bank and ask them about it. I remember going to one of the interview, one of the bank said we can actually get more than $200,000.

I think most likely he will pay back the loans by being a dentist. For me, I will pick the cheapest dental school. However, if I have no choice, I will still go to an expensive school like CASE or NYU. Lots of ppl want to be a dentist because it provide finacial stability. Also, if he chooses to work in the states, then it will be hard but not that hard to pay it back, especially in New York. However, if coming back to Canada, it might be harder to pay back the loan. About the loan, you can negotiate with the bank. I think the best way is to just go to one of the bank and ask them about it. I remember going to one of the interview, one of the bank said we can actually get more than $200,000.

Yes, you can get a million dollars with the right cosigner who has the right credit approval. Not a problem.

And yes, dentistry offers financial stability. But does it offer financial stability even if you start 500k in debt? How many years of being poor will it take to begin to see a return on your investment? That's the question that you should be asking, not: Will I be able to pay off my debt?

It worries me to see that there is not one mention of interest rates in this thread.

marry an american...
sorry, had to throw it out there
rbc will give you more if you push them, have every tiny little cost for the next 4 years prepared for them, and have a co-signer.
and you will work it off eventually, just maintain a student lifestyle for a couple years after graduation and things should work out :)

Members don't see this ad :)
" Information for International Students Applying for Financial Aid

Dear Prospective Student:

As you may be aware, the current U.S. Banking crisis has made access to financial aid more difficult, especially for international students. In past years New York University, in cooperation with major lending institutions, has been able to offer international students access to private loans that did not require a U.S. co-signer. But as of this date, private loans for international students without a U.S. co-signer do not exist. NYU is currently negotiating with several major U.S. lenders for an international student loan program that does not require a co-signer. Yet it is possible that such a program may not be in place in time for your June 1, 2009 enrollment date.
Because of this situation and until a new loan program is in place, the most expeditious ways of securing the financing you need are the following:

* Apply for loans from lenders in your country of citizenship or residence.
* Secure a U.S. co-signer

Due to the present uncertainty in the loan marketplace, if the only way you are able to finance your education and begin your studies at NYU College of Dentistry is by securing a private U.S. loan, and if in addition, you do not have a U.S. co-signer, we suggest that you inform us of that fact as soon as possible prior to submitting your non-refundable $5000.00 deposit.
<...>

· All admitted students must provide medical clearance and show proof of visa or U.S. Permanent Residency no later than April 15, 2009 or admission will be rescinded.

· Full tuition is due May 1, 2009.

I copy pasted this from someone who already posted. If this is really true, there is no hope for someone who has no co-signer like myself? any input would be really really great.

Thanks

and also, does anyone know when the deadline is for tuition?

that doesnt sound right at all...
first of all isnt the second deposit 1-2k?
and why would they say full tution is due on may 1 2009? Class doesnt even start until the end of august, and wait list should still be moving for people who want to leave nyu.

BS

I am a Canadian from Ontario and got accepted to NYU. I’d like you to share with me how you are paying for your tuition and living expenses.

NYU is around $95,000US (based on their budgeting sheet (that includes the tuition and cost of living). I am trying to get $150,000 CAD ($124000 US) as student loan from Royal bank of Canada (RBC), The Financial advisor at RBC said they will give me a portion of that 150000 loan over the four years.

I am also counting on 7,000 CAD (5800US) from OSAP every year.

That means I would end up with something around 44,500 CAD (36700 US). Since I am an international student I don’t think I can get any scholarship from the school.
I am very worried that if I can’t find a way to finance my education, I think I have to kiss my dream career good-bye. What are my best options to get the remaining ($58000 US)?

I'm in the same situation regarding attending NYU as a Canadian. So far my framework for financing my education has been pretty similar to you, a combination of RBC/TD's line of credit with canadian student loans. I haven't figured out how I'll get the rest of it yet either haha. But seriously, I'm sure you'll find the means to finance it somehow. Sure these are particularly bad times to be going to the most expensive school for the most expensive profession with the rising tuition and poor canadian exchange rate, but if you really loved the school/city and it's your dream then go for it. Don't let it stop you and if you do decide to go to NYU don't let your future debt weigh you down. Have a good time and enjoy every minute of it. I'm sure you'll pay it all back eventually even if it means you have to make a few shortcuts like driving a honda instead of a bmw. I'll keep you posted if i find any new pools of money to put us through school.

I'm in the same situation regarding attending NYU as a Canadian. So far my framework for financing my education has been pretty similar to you, a combination of RBC/TD's line of credit with canadian student loans. I haven't figured out how I'll get the rest of it yet either haha. But seriously, I'm sure you'll find the means to finance it somehow. Sure these are particularly bad times to be going to the most expensive school for the most expensive profession with the rising tuition and poor canadian exchange rate, but if you really loved the school/city and it's your dream then go for it. Don't let it stop you and if you do decide to go to NYU don't let your future debt weigh you down. Have a good time and enjoy every minute of it. I'm sure you'll pay it all back eventually even if it means you have to make a few shortcuts like driving a honda instead of a bmw. I'll keep you posted if i find any new pools of money to put us through school.

Which Canadian Student loans are you using? And how much are they giving you per year? Isn't it like 13k/year maximum (Alberta) and less for every other Province?

Can you take out a RBC LoC and a TD Bank LoC? I was under the impression you could only take out one in total... not one from each bank.

You seem to be in the same situation as the OP...I feel that I see this a lot on these forums and it is getting sickening... Let me illustrate: The OP presents a problem, and then some other person has the same problem. And then suddenly the other person feels it is his/her perogatory to ease the OP's worries by saying things like "I'm sure it'll work out" or "Don't let anything stop your dreams" yadda yadda yadda. And by way of doing this, the other person is able to abet his/her own worries. And together they only hear what they want to hear, and then other people read the posts and only hear this bull****. If you are so sure you can find ways to finance this extraordinarily riduculous amount of money, why not post them here? Or why haven't the other 100s of people who have read this post posted something concrete? Why is there all this "dream" talk... Hmm.. makes you wonder...

wow.. sacrifice your BMW for a Honda when you are $ 400k CDN in debt.. poor you..... a ****ty car like that what a sacrifice you are making to get through such a hard time....

^ Contach, are you coming to buffalo (I saw on your predents that you got in)? I hope you are not this angry all the time in person.

OP, time to ask around. NYU is soooo expensive and if you can't get the money from banks start asking family if they will help. I'm not sure of any other options you have it seems that you have looked at them all. Also don't discount applying for scholarships; many little ones can add up and help offset your costs.

man nyu is such a great school. It's a shame they lose the top students to other schools because of their astronomical tuition.

Which Canadian Student loans are you using? And how much are they giving you per year? Isn't it like 13k/year maximum (Alberta) and less for every other Province?

Can you take out a RBC LoC and a TD Bank LoC? I was under the impression you could only take out one in total... not one from each bank.

You seem to be in the same situation as the OP...I feel that I see this a lot on these forums and it is getting sickening... Let me illustrate: The OP presents a problem, and then some other person has the same problem. And then suddenly the other person feels it is his/her perogatory to ease the OP's worries by saying things like "I'm sure it'll work out" or "Don't let anything stop your dreams" yadda yadda yadda. And by way of doing this, the other person is able to abet his/her own worries. And together they only hear what they want to hear, and then other people read the posts and only hear this bull****. If you are so sure you can find ways to finance this extraordinarily riduculous amount of money, why not post them here? Or why haven't the other 100s of people who have read this post posted something concrete? Why is there all this "dream" talk... Hmm.. makes you wonder...

wow.. sacrifice your BMW for a Honda when you are $ 400k CDN in debt.. poor you..... a ****ty car like that what a sacrifice you are making to get through such a hard time....

Personally, I think you made a good point. However, what if you are in that position when you only have NYU as a choice. Of course, you will probably say you won't go but what if your grades and DAT scores are not that high. Will you still be making this statement? Why do so many ppl want to go to dentistry? One reason is because there is a bright future by being a dentist. It is true you can do research and earn money while studying. I am in research right now and i know that in the long run, it is a difficult life and it is good when you are young. I think life is a gamble. You got to take your risk and go through obstacles. Even for other not as expensive dental school, is it for sure that you will be able to pay it back. THere is no guarantee.

I think for me, if I go to NYU, I will borrow Canadian student loan and private loan. The rest I will borrow from family. Also, I believe you can ask for more money from banks when you get to third and fourth year

god, why are you so bitter and full of angst?

every post i see from you at SDN and premed101 has this sarcastic mocking tone to it.

is it so wrong to give someone some words of encouragement?

should we tell the OP that he/she should just give up then?

god, why are you so bitter and full of angst?

every post i see from you at SDN and premed101 has this sarcastic mocking tone to it.

is it so wrong to give someone some words of encouragement?

should we tell the OP that he/she should just give up then?

I try not to attack people. I attack their behavior or what they say..
I think attacking people (like you do here) is petty behavior.

I also feel that others give enough encouragement and 'hope'. I see myself playing the devil's advocate role on SDN/premed101 because this role is underrepresented. By doing so, I think I bring up some good points. Would you rather me just never post and these ideas never be presented?

I also try to be honest. If I don't think someone is right, and I can make a good argument as to why, I won't hesitate to say it. I don't see this being like real life where it necessitates some degree of tact and diplomacy - afterall this is an internet forum, and it is less personable and generally curt comments are less offensive (but maybe I'm wrong).

I like how you sublty call me petty for describing what I see. I'm sure there are many that feel the same way.

Attacking what someone says or their behaviour is not considered attacking the person?

Unlike you, I don't go around making other people feel miserable.

I'm sure as a dentist you'll see all sorts of people throughout your career.
I would like to see how they react to such a negative individual.
For your sake, I hope you're a bit less "honest" in real life.

good luck to you.

Not everyone is poor and can't afford to go to NYU like you. A lot of people have enough money to go to the school they want regardless of tuition. I, for instance, don't mind spending an extra 100-200k to go to NYU and experience Manhattan rather than go to another cheaper (or small name) school in a ghetto neighbourhood where I'll be unhappy for the next 4 years. I'm not bragging about my parents paying for my entire tuition but there are tons of students like me around here.

The only thing holding students from going to NYU is the tuition.. it is an awesome school. For people who don't have enough money or are willing to drive a honda instead of a lexus to pay off their loans, and if it is of their interest to study in NYC...I praise them for their passion.

People have preferences.
People don't choose NYU because of its tuition, large class numbers, expensive rents, not possible to own a car during school, and rumours that scare people, some people even assume that it's bunch of people who only got into NYU and not others. (Many people around me goes to NYU because it was their only choice)
everyone is going to have different perception.
You should not judge other schools because really, you are not there studying yet.

The op's question was originally asking for options on financial needs.
I've called up schools and FAFSA and whatever (bunch of sources)
but we're out of luck as canadians.
Only options for us right now is to get loans from banks and OSAP which isn't sufficient.
When you run out, I guess only option is to get more line of credit from your parents (or get mortgages from your house?) or a private loan which could have high interest rates.
I've asked my grandpa and luckily he's gonna pay for my tuition :D
prior to this good news I was in panic.
Anyways, Plan it out because, you don't want to be stressed while studying.
Just in case, have a cosigner arragned in the US or here.
Hopefully, the looney gets stronger

People have preferences.
People don't choose NYU because of its tuition, large class numbers, expensive rents, not possible to own a car during school, and rumours that scare people, some people even assume that it's bunch of people who only got into NYU and not others. (Many people around me goes to NYU because it was their only choice)
You should not judge other schools because really, you are not there studying yet.

Only options for us right now is to get loans from banks and OSAP which isn't sufficient.
When you run out, I guess only option is to get more line of credit from your parents (or get mortgages from your house?) or a private loan which could have high interest rates.

just the answer i 've been waiting for
thanks dchung but unfortunately, i guess we will have to figure out on our own to pay for the tuition... which really sucks so what u r saying is the school can't do anything about their international students right? wow... i was hoping they could do something to help us out especially when it comes down to getting loans

so i understand that NYU is expensive...but as Canadians what other schools would be more feasible for us considering that we secure only OSAP and Canadian bank loans? Are schools such as Detroit Mercy, Nova e.t.c considerably cheaper?

so i understand that NYU is expensive...but as Canadians what other schools would be more feasible for us considering that we secure only OSAP and Canadian bank loans? Are schools such as Detroit Mercy, Nova e.t.c considerably cheaper?

Nova isn't cheaper. It's a private school and pretty expensive.

I know Buffalo is attractive to Canadian applicants because (a) it's only 2 hours away from Toronto and (b) it's one of the cheapest schools for international students. The entering class of 2008's estimated costs were $230k USD. Which (at 1.3 exchange rate) is $300k Canadian. Much more feasible. But Buffalo only accepts a few international students and it serves to reason that the competition would be pretty stiff..
Buffalo is a great school, I was very impressed when I visited.

I recommend you buy the 2009 ADEA Office Guide to Dental schools. It goes through all the schools, tells you how many international students each school accepts, tells you about if they accept Canadian DAT, what prereqs are needed, the tuition price for in-state, out-of-state, and international along with a lot of other stuff. 35$for the book + 35$ to ship to Canada.

People have preferences.

Case in Cleveland vs NYU in NYC?? Case, a school nobody knows vs NYU, a school everyone knows??

Funny how you say that "many" people around you go yo NYU only because they have to. EVERYONE around me told me to go to NYU over Case, which includes friends, family, relatives, and co-workers. Nobody knew about Case. Who the hell wants to live in Cleveland? Does it make you feel better to put down other schools to justify your crap decision?

Case in Cleveland vs NYU in NYC?? Case, a school nobody knows vs NYU, a school everyone knows??

Funny how you say that "many" people around you go yo NYU only because they have to. EVERYONE around me told me to go to NYU over Case, which includes friends, family, relatives, and co-workers. Nobody knew about Case. Who the hell wants to live in Cleveland? Does it make you feel better to put down other schools to justify your crap decision?

Honestly, there is no such thing as a bad dental school. As long as you get in and get out is what matters. However, I would have chose CASE over NYU just because of money. I never went to NYU for interview so I cant reall y comment about the school. I heard many good things about the school though. I got to admiitt cleveland is not the ideal place for me to live in. However, I think dental school is very intense anyway. So, you probably don't really have much to do other things anyway. Actually, I think CASE is a good school but it is just that not many people know where CASE is

Honestly, there is no such thing as a bad dental school. As long as you get in and get out is what matters. However, I would have chose CASE over NYU just because of money. I never went to NYU for interview so I cant reall y comment about the school. I heard many good things about the school though. I got to admiitt cleveland is not the ideal place for me to live in. However, I think dental school is very intense anyway. So, you probably don't really have much to do other things anyway. Actually, I think CASE is a good school but it is just that not many people know where CASE is

:thumbup: this. There is no such thing as a bad dental school.

But I do agree with kss. I would definitely choose NYU over Case. I wouldn't want to go to a neighbourhood like Case just to save some bucks where I'll have no life for 4 years. Seriously though, as international students, we don't have much choice but to spend big bucks anyways.

Although in the real world everyone knows about NYU and no one knows what Case is, it really doesn't matter what dental school you go to in the end. I know that this is true because everyone congratulated me when I said I was going to the NYU interview, and when I was going for the interview for Temple, Case, and Nova, people were kind of like uhhh.. why are you going there? It's reality. Not that it matters what other people think though :)

you might as well tell everyone around you to stop with the education because it costs too much and start working in mcdonalds fulltime straight out of elementary school

Not everyone has a 3.9GPA 27DAT like you. What's wrong with people wanting a valuable experience? Money doesn't buy happiness. Well, maybe it does for you. But for many others here, dreaming about going through all the hard work and geting through the financials to become a dentist is happiness to them.

I think the issue isn't whether you can justify going to NYU - it's can you actually pay for it?

At $95K USD per year, it looks like it's not feasible for a lot of people...to the OP, you're right - if all you can get is OSAP and a $150K LOC (maybe $200K but this doesn't matter b/c they don't give you it all at once) then you have no choice, you can't go. It's that simple.

Options include parents (mortgage) or relatives, and maybe US bank loans (with US co-signer). I know for me, the US co-signer option is out, and relatives are out. All I would have are my parents and their assets are not enough to cover it.

It's nice to say just go for it but some people...really can't. So I hope some potential applicants for next year read this thread - find out how much the school will cost before you apply b/c with NYU, you can't "apply, get in, and worry later" hoping that magically money will come your way just b/c you have an acceptance to dental school - that's not going to happen.

If you come from a wealthy background - then you're ok.

What makes you say that "nobody knows Case"?
NYU may be more known around the world because everyone knows New York. They probably think it's a state school anyways which is not.
I do not want to live like **** in manhatten trying to save everydollar.
I would rather live in a nice neighbourhood in cleveland with a car of my preference. I hate having inability to move around.
Everyone makes there choice according to their needs.
I don't want to be a ghetto in manhatten. I have families and friends that live in NY city and they're paying 3000+ min for a decent place.

Also, I never discriminated NYU, I referred it to as what majority or maybe a portion thinks.
Why do you take this so offensive?
All the students that are going to NYU are so negative on what other people say. You can take a look at all the threads on this forum about NYU
someone alwaays have to bee angry whom is going to nyu

I'm sick of this
what makes my decision a crap one and yours a good one?
aren't all the decisions made by us, all good ones (I'm sure you have thought about it over and over)?

seriously
At the end
Aren't we all successful?
you've got to chill
grow up

Last edited: