Fellowship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisisinnocent

Elbow deep
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious what kind of things one should do to improve their chances of getting a fellowship. Do they even care about Step I/II/III scores? I assume CREOG scores are important and research?
Any insight would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience (going through MFM), research and productivity in residency ranked high on the priority list for the programs. The quality of your programs (patient mix, clinical training), letters of recommendation came next. Honestly, only 1 institution asked for CREOGS, and USMLE's were listed but never came up during the interviews.

Word of advice, pick up a couple of solid research projects, complete them, and you should give yourself a good solid chance at subspecialty training.

I agree with global said. I also have matched into an mfm fellowship and the application process was well......stupid. Most programs didn't care for my creog scores but wanted me to list USMle step 1 scores???? Focus on getting a research project completed. A poster or publication would be awesome. Also see if you can attend the main conference for whatever you might apply in (like smfm)... You will be able to network and see some people. Overall fellowship slots are getting more competitive than they have ever been. Good luck:thumbup: