Fellowship opportunities for foreign-trained dermatologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mesm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if there are programs out there that accept foreign-trained dermatologists for their fellowships. Any previous experience? Any input is highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Foreign medical grads (who haven't done derm residencies) frequently do fellowships to help them get into derm residency programs.

I haven't really heard of foreign dermatologists doing this, but I guess you could.

Why do you want to do a fellowship? Are you hoping to complete a US derm residency now?

I am wondering if there are programs out there that accept foreign-trained dermatologists for their fellowships. Any previous experience? Any input is highly appreciated.

I think yes. I met several foreign dermatologists who were doing research fellowships in US and were applying for derm. Of course, it is difficult but definitely not impossible for a foreign dermatologist to match after completing a research fellowship in US.
I would look through the previous match lists for applicants like yourself. I think this year, there was a foreign grad who completed a research fellowship in Umiami and matched there. It would be most helpful to speak with someone who went through the same process. Try to find their email addresses and speak with them directly.
On SDN (dermatology), there is a thread with derm match cycles. There, you can find the previous match lists.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=590138

I have the list of the research derm fellowships. Please PM with your email address and I will send you the file. I think I got them from DIGA site (please see below)

Good luck.

P.S. Besides SDN, another helpful site is DIGA. http://www.derminterest.org/

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a foreign-trained dermatologist post-doc fellow working in the same lab as me...

Thanks for all your posts. My aim is just to do a clinical fellowship training(dermatopathology, mohs....etc) and go back to my original country. So, is it possible to get into such clinical fellowships?

I have noticed that many dermatology programs, unlike other specialties, have clinical research fellowships which might be a good idea as a way to enter the system. I haven't thoroughly looked into the clinical research fellowships yet, but it seems many of them require at least completion of PGY-1. I have never been enrolled in any residency program.

Last edited:
You're not going to be able to get a dermpath or Mohs fellowship. These are for dermatologists who have already completed a US dermatology residency.

The clinical research fellowships are a possibility Although many of these require a PGY1 year, some do not. Some are even open to MS4s who are taking a year off of med school to do research before applying in derm. If you just want clinical experience, you may even be able to arrange a new clinical research fellowship with a dermatologist in the US rather than applying for a preexisting spot. At my home program, there was a foreign-trained dermatologist who did this so that she could work with a dermatologist at my institution who specializes in a rare subset of dermatologic diseases (don't want to be too specific since I want to remain anonymous). I'm not exactly sure how she went about arranging it, and I know she had to jump through hurdles so that she could see patients since she didn't have a US license. She basically ended up seeing patients and presenting to the attending like a med student, and I don't think she was allowed to do any official documentation.

You're not going to be able to get a dermpath or Mohs fellowship.

This is false. I know of several foriegn dermatologists who have done exactly this (both in Mohs and in dermpath). Once they've completed their fellowship, then they return to their country to practice the subspecialty. It is hard, but it is nowhere near impossible.

I think I came to the following conclusions:

1) Clinical research fellowships might be possible without PGY-1.
2) Other clinical fellowships might be as well possible.

How easy it is remains unclear and I would need to look into that.

This is false. I know of several foriegn dermatologists who have done exactly this (both in Mohs and in dermpath). Once they've completed their fellowship, then they return to their country to practice the subspecialty. It is hard, but it is nowhere near impossible.

Which programs have allowed foreign dermatologists to complete dermpath/Mohs? Every program I've heard of is open only to US BC/BE dermatologists.

on a related note, how competitive are the fellowships for US residents? What are the competitive and noncompetitve fellowships?

Which programs have allowed foreign dermatologists to complete dermpath/Mohs? Every program I've heard of is open only to US BC/BE dermatologists.

Several. The first one I could find proof of was the Mohs fellow at OHSU in 2000 or 2001 (you can look at their website and look at a short bio of each past fellow, so it's easy to confirm). I think that in my career I've met about 5-10 foreign docs (i.e., did their residencies abroad) that have done a Mohs or dermpath fellowship.

I know a lot more about Mohs than dermpath. Virtually no Mohs fellowships are funded by the government, so a fellowship director can literally take anyone they want. The rub is that the person needs to be able to get a license, which is not a trivial thing if you haven't done residency here. If the Mohs fellowship is affiliated with a large academic institution, getting a training license for an FMG is no big deal. However, if it's a private practice based Mohs fellowship, it is difficult. So is getting malpractice insurance. So, the private practice based fellowships probably wouldn't take foreign fellows (and I can't think of any that have)

Because of various regulations in place, that fellow may not be able to practice in the US. But if they intend to return to their home country, that's not an issue. Now that Mohs fellowships are accredited by the ACGME, the mechanics of doing this have changed slightly, but it's still possible.

Last edited:
Hi all!

I am a dermatologists trained in India. I am interested in pursuing a dermatology fellowship in laser/ cosmetology and dermatosurgery. I have looked up many sites on internet but what I see is that only board certified dermatologists can do fellowships. Is there any way of foreign trained dermatologists to acquire skills from these kind of fellowships?
I plan to go back to India in 2-3 years and practice dermatology in my country. Can anyone advice me of some IMG friendly fellowships in US.

Thanks!!

hello
i am an indian dermatologist.I wanted to know s there any chance of myself getting into dermatology fellowship programs in USA without appearing for USMLE?If so,how can i start looking for it? Most fellowship advertisements i have seen require the above.
Kindly give me your valuable advice regarding the same.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

I am a dermatologists trained in India. I am interested in pursuing a dermatology fellowship in laser/ cosmetology and dermatosurgery. I have looked up many sites on internet but what I see is that only board certified dermatologists can do fellowships. Is there any way of foreign trained dermatologists to acquire skills from these kind of fellowships?
I plan to go back to India in 2-3 years and practice dermatology in my country. Can anyone advice me of some IMG friendly fellowships in US.

Thanks!!

hi...
I have the same query..Can anyone help me please?

hi..did you get any info about the above?
thanks

As someone posted in your thread in the positions forum, I think it's very difficult/near impossible to get a fellowship position without USMLE scores.

If by fellowship you mean Mohs/procedural, Dermpath, Peds (the post-Derm residency fellowships) then it's basically impossible. There may be some non-ACGME MOHS fellowships left that would maybe consider it, but I don't see anyone training someone without at least having USMLE (passing) scores. Most of these fellowships are very competitive and there are plenty of AMG/Derm resident graduates to fill them.

In terms of the research/clinical fellowships (Typically pre-derm residency fellowships), they often times are for those who want to better their chances at matching into a US derm residency position which apparently isn't your intent. I'm not sure how much you would get out of one of these. Many of them have the fellows seeing patients in clinic, but those usually require completing an intern training year. Many of them also require USMLE scores.

There are numerous individual post (or pre) derm residency fellowships that are not ACGME which you could look into. The Harvard Derm/Rheum fellowship and NYU derm oncology (I think this exists...it may be Penn that has it) come to mind. They however most likely require USMLE and all that stuff as well.

Basically, without USMLE (and often times completion of an intern year), you would not really be licensed to see patients on your own. Thus, I question the value of a US fellowship for you in terms of career advancement or improvement if your ultimate plans are to return to India (I could just be assuming this, but you stated you had the same query as the individual who wants to fellow and return to India).

Last edited:
thanks to you for your reply...
I was going thru a fellowship offered in MIAMI by DR.Leslie Baumann in cosmetic dermatology for IMG s without the requirement of such scores.It is observation based fellowship..can anyone throw a light on anything similar ?
Thanks

thanks to you for your reply...
I was going thru a fellowship offered in MIAMI by DR.Leslie Baumann in cosmetic dermatology for IMG s without the requirement of such scores.It is observation based fellowship..can anyone throw a light on anything similar ?
Thanks
what is the point of doing an 'observation' based fellowship. You are going to waste your time and money to "look" on how to do things? You can just do that on the internet for free too. It won't make you good at it without patient contact. for this advice, I would like you to give me $50 since I just saved you $3000 a month on this 'observation' fellowship.

Hello

I am a dermatology resident in Jordan. i wish to know if i can apply for an elective course in the US

Hello all

I am a dermatology resident , I have passed Usmle step 1 and 2 and I am an American citezin and my dream has always been to do a fellowship in the US , I was wondering where I can apply and what should I do to increase my chances to get one , any exams or stuff like that ,
and what is the best programm to enroll in , and I plan to be back to my country and practice there ,
Has anyone got an idea which is better cosmetics or dermopathology ?

Thanks!

Hello all

I am a dermatology resident , I have passed Usmle step 1 and 2 and I am an American citezin and my dream has always been to do a fellowship in the US , I was wondering where I can apply and what should I do to increase my chances to get one , any exams or stuff like that ,
and what is the best programm to enroll in , and I plan to be back to my country and practice there ,
Has anyone got an idea which is better cosmetics or dermopathology ?

Thanks!

From what I've seen thus far, most fellowship programs are only available to those who graduated from American/Canadian dermatology residencies.

You plan on returning to Jordan to practice? Or the US? I don't believe completing a derm residency in Jordan will allow you to practice in the US.

Many top tier academic programs have fellowship spots available for foreign grads, but these are not typically in something like Mohs, peds, path, or cosmetics but instead in something that the center itself is well known for. Often times, Saudi Arabia or China or whichever home country the applicant is coming from will pay for their fellow to be trained and to then return to their home country to begin this specialized practice. I am only familiar with the specifics on the fellowships at my home program, but I know that other programs have this as well.

Last edited:
I think yes. I met several foreign dermatologists who were doing research fellowships in US and were applying for derm. Of course, it is difficult but definitely not impossible for a foreign dermatologist to match after completing a research fellowship in US.
I would look through the previous match lists for applicants like yourself. I think this year, there was a foreign grad who completed a research fellowship in Umiami and matched there. It would be most helpful to speak with someone who went through the same process. Try to find their email addresses and speak with them directly.
On SDN (dermatology), there is a thread with derm match cycles. There, you can find the previous match lists.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=590138

I have the list of the research derm fellowships. Please PM with your email address and I will send you the file. I think I got them from DIGA site (please see below)

Good luck.

P.S. Besides SDN, another helpful site is DIGA. http://www.derminterest.org/
Thanks a lot for your reply, my e mail is [email protected]

Y
From what I've seen thus far, most fellowship programs are only available to those who graduated from American/Canadian dermatology residencies.

You plan on returning to Jordan to practice? Or the US? I don't believe completing a derm residency in Jordan will allow you to practice in the US.
Yes I do plan. To return to Jordan , I just want to find a fellowship in the US , here In jordn we don't have fellowship programms in dermatology