Fellowship questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For one who wants to eventually do a fellowship (not residency) in Nuclear Medicine, are there any limitations on what residency one can have? For example, can one do a residency in Anethesiology, Neurology, or Pathology, and still do a fellowship in Nuclear Medicine?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume it is better to do a fellowship than to do a Nucs residency first, and then do a second residency.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll find the official answer here:

http://www.abnm.org/index.cfm?PageID=5044&RPID=4999#combo

Short answer:

Radiology + 1-year NM fellowship

Medicine/FP/Pathology/Pediatrics/Surgery + 2-year NM fellowship

As an aside, the market for non-radiologist nuclear physicians is not good. I personally know of 5 who either have or are currently retraining as radiologists.

You'll find the official answer here:

http://www.abnm.org/index.cfm?PageID=5044&RPID=4999#combo

Short answer:

Radiology + 1-year NM fellowship

Medicine/FP/Pathology/Pediatrics/Surgery + 2-year NM fellowship

As an aside, the market for non-radiologist nuclear physicians is not good. I personally know of 5 who either have or are currently retraining as radiologists.

If one completes a residency first (let's say, Pediatrics, or Surgery), can't they still work/find a job as a Pediatrician or Surgeon if there are no NM jobs?

If one completes a residency first (let's say, Pediatrics, or Surgery), can't they still work/find a job as a Pediatrician or Surgeon if there are no NM jobs?

Sure, assuming that he or she has maintained certification. But, in my experience, the substantial differences between the original, clinical field and NM are usually what draws non-radiologists to do the fellowship in the first place. Historically, it's been a backdoor out of the grind of clinical medicine without having to do full 5 years of radiology training (including fellowship).