Fellowships taking their own students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toadkiller Dog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only an MSII, but I've got a buddy going into surgery with the intent of doing peds surgery, and he's gotten me really interested in it.

We were chatting the other day, and he said something I found curious: That if you're going to do a competitive fellowship (like peds surg) that you NEED to go to a hospital that actually has that fellowship to do your residency (I guess with the intent of flipping right over into the fellowship once finished with the residency).

I disputed this; don't programs see this as "inbreeding"? I would think that most programs would discourage this, and want their students to go elsewhere, and want their fellows to come from other institutions. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends.

At some programs, having done a residency at that institution is a distinct advantage.

And, yes, some programs want to seek "outsiders."

Conversely, some residents fear "inbreeding" and themselves seek fellowships at other places.

That should be fairly easy to determine. Just look at the list of where the programs graduates do their fellowships. This is often available on the programs' web site. Also it is discussed when you interview.

When you get into your third year, talk to the residents who are applying for the fellowship you think you may be interested in. That should give you a good idea as to what is expected.

Also be aware that some residency programs are very inbred as well. Some take mostly their own students medical, others limit their own students to only 1-2 slots.

Members don't see this ad :)
any specific progams that come to mind? Either inbred or prefering outsiders...

Especially for ultra-competitive surgical fellowships like Pediatric Surgery, doing residency at a program that has one is a distinct advantage not only for getting into THAT particular fellowship, but at least getting letters from well-knowns and going off into the world.

I've been on some interviews at programs that have a ton of fellowships, but some PDs seem pretty adamant about not taking their own. One guy said he's interested in finding the "best all over the country, and not just here."

It's hit or miss. What's been suggested is perfect advice. See where residency program graduates of the place you're interested in go on to do fellowship. You'll have a better idea of where you stand at the end of residency.