Felon with solid numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scientificwelder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

For the sake of anonymity, I have created this alternate account. I am no stranger to these forums. It has recently been brought to my attention that an act of moral indiscretion that occurred when I was 17 appears on criminal record. I have recently turned 23 and graduated with a BS in molecular biology. Throughout my entire undergrad career I was planning on attending medical school, with the idea that my juvenile record was completely sealed. I did not think that the shadow of my crimes during my juvenile years would have any bearing on my present circumstances. I have recently discovered, through attempts to volunteer at various clinics and hands on experiences working with that children, that my felonies as a 17 year old show up on my background search. When I was 17 I was hanging around the wrong crowd of young men and found myself, along with two others, being charged with armed robbery. Months later my charges were reduced to conspiracy to commit the act, but it does not make me any much better. After that run in with the law I realized instantly that a life of crime is not for me. I will not get into the details of the act but after some serious soul searching during those trying times I decided I wanted to become a doctor. I knew it would be a long and difficult road but I wanted to help people and I wanted to do something noble and respectable with my life. The case concluded in me having adjudication withheld (not convicted guilty but not deemed innocent either - a no contest plea almost). I served all court appointed sanctions appropriately (fines, rehab, counseling, community service, probation). Fast forward 6 years and I have had no run ins with the law whatsoever.

MCAT: 36 (12,12,12)
cGPA: 3.9
sGPA: 3.8
Major: molecular biology
Research experience: 2.5 years drug discovery research in a chemistry lab
Shadowing experience: 1+ year shadowing an er doctor (definitely more than 100 hours over this one year)

Members don't see this ad.

I also have shadowing experience in various primary care settings, but the majority (80%) of my shadowing experience has been in the ER.
Volunteer experience: 200+ hours in the humane society working with cats and dogs, and 200+ hours working at the local foodbank.
Unfortunately, to get more hands on volunteer experience with the community, I have tried to get in with big brothers and big sisters, the boys n girls club, and several local free clinics to no avail. I finally inquired into one of the free clinics as to why I was rejected (they all do background checks) and they said it had something to do with a gun. This was a week ago that I found this out. Shacked, I instantly performed a background check on myself, and sure enough the armed robbery charge is public info.
Despite my lawyer at the time of the case telling me my record would be sealed, it appears it is not. I am perplexed, depressed, and feel lost. I find it difficult to believe any medical school would admit someone with this on their record. What do I do?

that's over my head in terms of knowledge....as you seem to have gotten your crap together, I do wish you well either way

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you can't clear a background check for a volunteer position, I doubt you will clear one for a medical license.

Maybe work to get your record actually sealed/expunged. You will still have to declare this on AMCAS, but even more time will have gone by and you wont be such a risk for being unable to get licensure.

I also have shadowing experience in various primary care settings, but the majority (80%) of my shadowing experience has been in the ER.
Volunteer experience: 200+ hours in the humane society working with cats and dogs, and 200+ hours working at the local foodbank.
Unfortunately, to get more hands on volunteer experience with the community, I have tried to get in with big brothers and big sisters, the boys n girls club, and several local free clinics to no avail. I finally inquired into one of the free clinics as to why I was rejected (they all do background checks) and they said it had something to do with a gun. This was a week ago that I found this out. Shacked, I instantly performed a background check on myself, and sure enough the armed robbery charge is public info.
Despite my lawyer at the time of the case telling me my record would be sealed, it appears it is not. I am perplexed, depressed, and feel lost. I find it difficult to believe any medical school would admit someone with this on their record. What do I do?
Contact your lawyer to have the case reviewed and sealed if necessary. Top schools won't bite but you should get into an MD program if you get this cleared up. You aren't the worst off, some dude in Sweden got into the Karolinska Institutet after a murder conviction.

Reactions: 1 users
The problem isn't getting into a MD program, it's whether they can license you. A med school is doing you no favors if they let you in but then the state licensing board turns you down after you've racked up $180,000 in debt.

A MD in and of itself isn't a valuable degree if you're barred from practicing medicine.

Reactions: 3 users
So, the fact that it happened when you were 17, and that it doesn't involve a guilty verdict, should be helpful. It should be possible to get the record cleared up, but yeah, you need a lawyer, not an internet forum. Whatever our opinions, we can't do very much but talk.

Reactions: 1 users
Someone mentioned the reality above.

Sure some medical school may be more than willing to take your money and put you deeply in debt, but that doesn't mean anything to a state medical board. You must declare charges on medical license applications and they will background check you. They can reject you, and make it very hard to get a license from any other state - and they won't care what med school you went to or whatever your grades or Step I was.

Contact a lawyer, specifically one who deals with the medical licensing issues (not a general lawyer). Do not ask medical school admissions - they have a deep financial interest in students (the small amount of 150-200k per student) that does not involve you getting a license and may give you false/unconfirmed information.

I don't think medical schools are as nefarious as some are suggesting (this isn't the carribean board). I doubt most schools would accept someone who couldn't get a license and will never be a doctor. It's not like there is a shortage of applicants...

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think medical schools are as nefarious as some are suggesting (this isn't the carribean board). I doubt most schools would accept someone who couldn't get a license and will never be a doctor. It's not like there is a shortage of applicants...
This is why many schools ask about charges in the secondary.
We could be considered liable for accepting someone who cannot be licensed.

Reactions: 4 users