Felony drug charges. Advice or previous experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wanderingandlearning

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is my first post and I would still like people's opinions if possible. I was arrested my freshman year of college with four drug possession felonies and two misdemeanors. This was when I was going through several issues that I did not know how else to deal with. I am now looking at applying at medical schools. I have had the charges all expunged. SInce then I have done nothing but outstanding things. I have not gotten into any other trouble. I realize that getting into medical school is a long shot. If I do get in and make it through, what are the chances that the AMA will not license me? I love medicine but do not want to waste more time trying to follow a dream that I can not achieve because of one horrible mistake.

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, honey, you might want to contact your state medical board. We can't really tell you from this; and some institutions has background checks that can see even expunged charges, like the VA.

I'll go ahead and tag some faculty and see if they have any more wisdom on the matter than me.

@Goro, @LizzyM, @hushcom, and @Catalystik.

You will need to disclose this if schools ask about charges on the secondary. Many schools are primarily affiliated with government hospitals (state county and federal) whose background checks will turn this up. If you were acquitted, you should be fine (unless you don't disclose).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you'll be fine. Just own these transgressions....no excuses.

So this is my first post and I would still like people's opinions if possible. I was arrested my freshman year of college with four drug possession felonies and two misdemeanors. This was when I was going through several issues that I did not know how else to deal with. I am now looking at applying at medical schools. I have had the charges all expunged. SInce then I have done nothing but outstanding things. I have not gotten into any other trouble. I realize that getting into medical school is a long shot. If I do get in and make it through, what are the chances that the AMA will not license me? I love medicine but do not want to waste more time trying to follow a dream that I can not achieve because of one horrible mistake.

I was arrested my freshman year of college with four drug possession felonies and two misdemeanors. This was when I was going through several issues that I did not know how else to deal with. I am now looking at applying at medical schools. I have had the charges all expunged. SInce then I have done nothing but outstanding things. I have not gotten into any other trouble. I realize that getting into medical school is a long shot. If I do get in and make it through, what are the chances that the AMA will not license me?
The AMA is not a licensing body. Each state is responsible for granting licensure to aspiring medical practitioners according to their own policies. You are not giving enough detail (age at that time, types of felonies & misdemeanors, number of separate arrests, what exactly got "expunged", extenuating factors, home state) to allow for a definitive response, nor do I expect you to, as this is not the best place to get that type of advice. I have heard of license applicants with an expunged felony drug conviction having difficulty getting state licensure, but that doesn't guarantee that you will, too (depending on the details). Getting input from a lawyer with special expertise in these matters would be far more helpful to your decision-making process than anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:
I had just turned 19 at the time and had just lost a good friend to cancer as well as some family issues that were highly stressful on all of us. The family issue being that my sister somehow got a stalker who drive 1000 miles to our hometown in Louisiana and we did not know if the stalker was going to try and kill us or something. The stalker tried to abduct my sister so for a while we did not know if we were safe in our own beds. It was one arrest for felony CDS Sch III, felony CDS schIV, felony possession of legend drug, felony possession with intent to distribute, misdemeanor marijuana possession, and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia. All the charges were expunged which means that the state licensing boards and the government will see the charges, but no one else should be able to. I intend to disclose the charges to the med schools when I apply, but will need to consult another attorney before doing so. I will do whatever he says is best. I have a criminal attorney but will need to find one with more of a health background before doing anything.

Here's the relevant Louisana law. I am not a lawyer, an adcom, or any other kind of expert on the matter.
http://www.lsbme.la.gov/sites/defau...3 2011/Physician Practice Act 10 13 2011 .pdf

§1285.
Causes for nonissuance; suspension; revocation; or
the imposition of restrictions; fines; reinstatement;
publication of action; stays
A.The board may refuse to issue, or may suspend or revoke
any license or permit, or impose probationary or other
restrictions on any license or permit issued under this Part
for the following causes:

(5)
Habitual or recurring abuse of drugs, including alcohol,
which affect the central nervous system and which are
capable of inducing physiological or psychological
dependence;
(6)
Prescribing, dispensing, or administering legally
controlled substances or any dependency-inducing medication without legitimate medical justification therefore or in other than a legal or legitimate manner

You should ask your attorney about sections 5 and 6. A layman's reading of section 6 would seemingly allow them to deny you a license due to your possession with intent to distribute conviction, but I'm just that- a layman- and they'd have a much better informed opinion.

Also, were you actually convicted of these charges? If you were found innocent, I don't think you have to disclose them, right?

No I was not convicted. The charges were expunged. My criminal attorney told me I should disclose them, but I will definitely go with what the health specialized attorney. I know that the habitual and recurring part should not be an issue as I have not used anything since my arrest nor do I intend to. But thank you very much for your help, I will have him look into it.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to disclose anything you were not convicted of or pled guilty to.

You were found to be innocent, after all.