female = urm? kinda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pezzoil

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
not really? i'm just wondering. i saw on MCAT data that average, composite scores for females were 1 pt lower than for males. i can't see one point really making a huge difference however. so does being a girl give you any edge whatsoever in this process?

Members don't see this ad.

not really? i'm just wondering. i saw on MCAT data that average, composite scores for females were 1 pt lower than for males. i can't see one point really making a huge difference however. so does being a girl give you any edge whatsoever in this process?

Not really, medical schools have made it a priority to accept and even amount between sexes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No, certainly not URM. However, I did notice that DMU's Class of 2018 is only 38% female and CCOM's Class of 2017 is 33% female, as per their respective admissions websites. I thought that was interesting, as I was under the impression that schools do strive for that ~50/50 split. Not sure if this is because, perhaps, fewer females applied? Or what. Just sharing my observation.

No, certainly not URM. However, I did notice that DMU's Class of 2018 is only 38% female and CCOM's Class of 2017 is 33% female, as per their respective admissions websites. I thought that was interesting, as I was under the impression that schools do strive for that ~50/50 split. Not sure if this is because, perhaps, fewer females applied? Or what. Just sharing my observation.

yeah sorry, i know URM is TOTALLY the wrong word, i just had a long day and that's what popped into my head

but yeah @ananasmed i also noticed AZCOM's matriculating class last year was only 32% female. that's crazy low! i couldn't find any data in the "what are my chances" graphs broken down into female / male, but i suspect there is indeed a slight advantage conveyed by being female. also, med schools only reached gender parity in 2008. that is very recent. so the gender distribution of practicing physicians is still waaay skewed male

My class was like 58% women.

Reactions: 1 users
upload_2014-9-23_16-35-12.jpeg

edit: one cold day doesn't mean global warming is a hoax, and one 58% female med school class doesn't mean medicine doesn't still have a historic gender imbalance

Last edited:
View attachment 185714

edit: one cold day doesn't mean global warming is a hoax, and one 58% female med school class doesn't mean medicine doesn't still have a historic gender imbalance

I seriously doubt there is discrimination towards women during the admission process. There is still probably discrimination against women during the residency process, at least for some specialities and some specific residencies. Medicine, in general, is not a family friendly career and it kind of sucks when you have muiltple co-residents out on maternity leave. The already ****ty schedule gets extra ****ty.

First, take a stats course.

Second, no, being female doesn't give you an advantage, unless you count the trend over the past decade that more women are entering medicine than men, and that by the 2040s, a significant majority of doctors will be women!