Few months left before applying to Vet School for the first time.. What should I be doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoRey14

c/o 2020!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am both extremely nervous and excited about my first time applying to vet school this upcoming cycle.
What are some tips/advice any of you have on what I should be doing the months before applying? I've started making an excel sheet dividing my experiences, studying to re-take my GRE for a better score, working on my personal statement, and finally, I am doing more and more research on which schools I will definitely want to apply to. I feel like I should be doing more. Please help!

What are all of you guys doing?

Members don't see this ad.

What you're doing now is fine. I was doing similar last year. I'm also preparing in case I'm not accepted this year. I'm a master's student, so I'll be finishing my thesis, working my assistantship, and will have an adjunct position teaching biology at a community college next semester. When I graduate, I'm probably going to take time over the summer to diversify my experience, whether or not I get into school. Then, the goal is to be either employed and volunteering for more experience, or I'll be in vet school.

I get the "I've done a lot, but I need to do *more" feeling all the time. If you have a plan and are sticking to it, you needn't do more. The most important thing is finding schools that fit for you and then finishing off your experience and grades so that you can present the strongest application possible.

Try not to let it stress you out too much--best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Spend some time pursuing hobbies. Seriously. I mean everything else you're doing is great but you need "you" time
What you're doing now is fine. I was doing similar last year. I'm also preparing in case I'm not accepted this year. I'm a master's student, so I'll be finishing my thesis, working my assistantship, and will have an adjunct position teaching biology at a community college next semester. When I graduate, I'm probably going to take time over the summer to diversify my experience, whether or not I get into school. Then, the goal is to be either employed and volunteering for more experience, or I'll be in vet school.

I get the "I've done a lot, but I need to do *more" feeling all the time. If you have a plan and are sticking to it, you needn't do more. The most important thing is finding schools that fit for you and then finishing off your experience and grades so that you can present the strongest application possible.

Try not to let it stress you out too much--best wishes!

Thank you both for the quality advice! Truly appreciate it. Right now I"m trying to focus on my GRE scores and diversifying my experiences.

BUT as far as the application process itself.. have you guys done anything in particular to help prepare for it? I want to make sure I don't overwhelm myself when the time comes (which is May now!) --that's why I've started on an excel sheet for different schools to apply to and to organize my experiences. I feel like I should be asking for LORs now, or at least give my evaluators a heads up?

Also, do most schools have their own eLor system, or can I use something like interfolio? I believe VMCAS has their own..?

I would start writing ideas down for your personal statement. Just jot them down or make a list. Personally, I found the personal statement to be the hardest part. You do not have to stress about it, but at least you started to think about it.

Last edited:
The thing is, vet applications aren't like med school applications where they should be turned in earlier for better results. The deadline is when everything has to be in. So that gives you a few months to input your experiences and classes, start and write your PS and even ask for letters of recommendation. You can do the suggested things, but you will have a few months to do them before the application is actually due, not just opens.

If you have weak spots in your application (like GRE), work toward improving them. Put in more hours with the people you want to ask for letters. Have some hobbies you can talk about at interviews. Keep up on current events in vet med. I know it's an exciting time but you don't have to be doing so much quite yet :)

LP4KzEF.gif

2. Have some fun:
tumblr_inline_mls984CI8g1qz4rgp_zpsb5f1e675.gif

You are already organizing everything and getting things together and working on stuff... just remember to not be too paranoid about it and allow yourself to relax some.

Hi all,

I am both extremely nervous and excited about my first time applying to vet school this upcoming cycle.
What are some tips/advice any of you have on what I should be doing the months before applying? I've started making an excel sheet dividing my experiences, studying to re-take my GRE for a better score, working on my personal statement, and finally, I am doing more and more research on which schools I will definitely want to apply to. I feel like I should be doing more. Please help!

What are all of you guys doing?
I made an Excel document of all of the courses I took in the format of VMCAS. It took me a grand total of 3 days to apply. The rest of the time, I spent on my personal statement. I have difficulty speaking about myself so I ask a few people (the people who wrote my LOR) what qualities they found to be unique to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you both for the quality advice! Truly appreciate it. Right now I"m trying to focus on my GRE scores and diversifying my experiences.

BUT as far as the application process itself.. have you guys done anything in particular to help prepare for it? I want to make sure I don't overwhelm myself when the time comes (which is May now!) --that's why I've started on an excel sheet for different schools to apply to and to organize my experiences. I feel like I should be asking for LORs now, or at least give my evaluators a heads up?

Also, do most schools have their own eLor system, or can I use something like interfolio? I believe VMCAS has their own..?

Let me translate:

"Okay, you guys just told me to worry less and to do some things to relax. I hear that, but I'm going to... not do any of that. Now talk to me about my spreadsheets! Is 10 months in advance too soon to get my eLORs turned in???"

Dooooooooooooood. Chill. For reals. VMCAS opens in May, and then you have FOUR MONTHS to obsess.

Reactions: 7 users
It still can't hurt to HAVE people actually tell you now that they WILL write you a letter of rec. Granted, 4 months will have to pass before they can even submit it. Letters of rec are the one thing on your application that you have no control over (other than asking people and inputting their info), and a lot of people are left biting their nails after they pay for their app and are waiting for ANY of their letters to be turned in. If your evaluators know now, there is an ever so small chance they might write it now to get it done. Most vets seem to get crazy busy in the summer, so asking them in May is a bad idea.

Other than that, do well in classes, keep working, and don't lose sleep. This is my second cycle, and I am so low key about it. I feel great. Last cycle, I was that person who checked their portal every hour.

But don't ask me if I'm still low key when my interview day comes.

two months notice is plenty of time. Any longer and you risk them forgetting about you. I asked mine two months before october 1st deadline, then reminded them one month before deadline. For those that didn't submit before 1 month, I reminded two weeks before deadline, then every other day the last week before deadline. One waited last minute and I went to him in person the day before to remind him. You have to be aggressive in these matters so they see that you actually care about your application. This will motivate them to write about you in a greater matter.

It's a good idea to chill and relax, but the spreadsheet thing isn't a bad idea at all. It's way easier to have things already tracked than to try and put it all together last minute and stress out.

If it were me I'd have a spreadsheet with all the classes (and info VMCAS wants) in one tab, and all my experiences and hours in another tab. That would make applying a lot easier.

I wouldn't talk to letter writers now if you're going to keep working with them - I'd wait until VMCAS opens so that they can go in and put the info in. They have to do more than just write a letter - they also have to answer a series of "On a scale of 1 to 5, is this candidate ........" kind of things. Might as well wait until they can actually do that to ask them. And waiting gives them a chance to get to know you better.

The only time I'd talk to them this early is if you're wrapping up your experience with them and won't see them again (like some other poster that was going overseas or something).

It's a good idea to chill and relax, but the spreadsheet thing isn't a bad idea at all. It's way easier to have things already tracked than to try and put it all together last minute and stress out.

If it were me I'd have a spreadsheet with all the classes (and info VMCAS wants) in one tab, and all my experiences and hours in another tab. That would make applying a lot easier.

I wouldn't talk to letter writers now if you're going to keep working with them - I'd wait until VMCAS opens so that they can go in and put the info in. They have to do more than just write a letter - they also have to answer a series of "On a scale of 1 to 5, is this candidate ........" kind of things. Might as well wait until they can actually do that to ask them. And waiting gives them a chance to get to know you better.

The only time I'd talk to them this early is if you're wrapping up your experience with them and won't see them again (like some other poster that was going overseas or something).
Good points, but seeing as how most letter writers seem to wait until that last month to actually write/submit anything, I still think it could be helpful to ask them NOW as opposed to asking them to start writing the letter once the clock is already ticking. In the off chance that they'd start brainstorming it now, or at least prior to May.

It's one less load on your back to have your writers checked off on your list. Vets know that you need a good letter to be a vet. Seeing as how most work anywhere from 8-16 hour days, I'm sure they'll appreciate having loads of time to put the best letter together. The "1-5" stuff shouldn't take more than 20 minutes once that time comes around.

I asked one of my writers on VMCAS opening day to write a letter, and she waiting until the middle of September to start writing it and submitted it about 30 minutes later. I wasn't impressed, and I was told that it was just a brief paragraph (I have known her for years). My individual experience. Summer is arguably the busiest time of the year for vets, particularly those in small animal practice. Do them a favor and give them the chance to write it during winter, when things are slow. If they choose to wait 8 months to write it, then you did all that you could do.

Good points, but seeing as how most letter writers seem to wait until that last month to actually write/submit anything, I still think it could be helpful to ask them NOW as opposed to asking them to start writing the letter once the clock is already ticking. In the off chance that they'd start brainstorming it now, or at least prior to May.

It's one less load on your back to have your writers checked off on your list. Vets know that you need a good letter to be a vet. Seeing as how most work anywhere from 8-16 hour days, I'm sure they'll appreciate having loads of time to put the best letter together. The "1-5" stuff shouldn't take more than 20 minutes once that time comes around.

I asked one of my writers on VMCAS opening day to write a letter, and she waiting until the middle of September to start writing it and submitted it about 30 minutes later. I wasn't impressed, and I was told that it was just a brief paragraph (I have known her for years). My individual experience. Summer is arguably the busiest time of the year for vets, particularly those in small animal practice. Do them a favor and give them the chance to write it during winter, when things are slow. If they choose to wait 8 months to write it, then you did all that you could do.

I agree with LIS on this one. There is no reason to ask a vet to write the letter this early unless you won't be seeing them again. Like you said, vets are very busy, even during this time of the year. The clinic may or may not be as busy (where I worked we were just as busy during this time as we were during the summer) but the vets I can guarantee are busy in their own personal lives around the holiday season. And even after the holiday season, comes tax season and they will be busy getting everything together for filling taxes which if they are an owner can be a massive task. Asking now is just a bad idea if you will still be working with them later. And it isn't a load off your back because I can guarantee that most vets if you told them now would probably say something along the lines of, "Yes I can do that, remind me again when the application opens." I would not be taking the time right now to sit down and write out a LOR when I have other things to do that are a priority first during this time of the year and I definitely would not remember it come May. That is one thing you learn very quick working in a vet clinic, prioritize things that are of most importance first.. that means your LOR gets shot to the end of that list until the application time draws near, then it will start moving up. Depending upon the personality of the vet writing your LOR they can either be one of those that gets it in early or they can be one of those that waits until the last minute. To be honest, that is not going to change no matter how early you ask them. If they are the procrastinating type, your letter will be done right before deadline even if you asked a year in advance. If they aren't the procrastinating type, they will work on it as they have time and it will get submitted when they are done. However, I doubt you find a vet that gets the letter written before the actual application opens. I also believe there is a character limit for them, so it is nice for the vet to have some rules and guidelines to follow from VMCAS before they start writing. I also think it is kind of rude to expect a vet to begin working on your letter before they have anything from VMCAS.

Also, the length of the letter is not what is important. Yes, I would hope most vets can write more than a paragraph, however, you don't want the letter to be more than a page either. The content of the letter is what is most important. I had a LOR from a vet that was short but was the best letter I had. Some people are just more concise in their writing but can still get the same message across as those that are more verbose.

Reactions: 2 users
You sound like you have plenty figured out. Honestly, the VMCAS experience was a lot easier than people I had talked to made it seem. I would just open the application, turn on netflix, and spend a few hours here and there entering classes/writing experiences. Go through and edit your paragraphs about each experience before turning it in, but you can't start all of that until it opens. Having a solid personal statement that has been reviewed by many professionals before VMCAS opens will be very helpful.

Try not to stress, the application itself isn't that bad. If anything juggling supplemental applications was more difficult that the VMCAS app. The application won't take you all 4 months to complete as long as you don't procrastinate. I had mine done in a little over a month.

You could give your references a heads-up that you will be sending a request in the spring so they can start gathering their thoughts, but the VMCAS reference form is pretty specific so they can't start until it opens.

for now, personal statement and studying for the GRE is a perfect plan. Good luck!

Good points, but seeing as how most letter writers seem to wait until that last month to actually write/submit anything, I still think it could be helpful to ask them NOW as opposed to asking them to start writing the letter once the clock is already ticking.

If they're going to procrastinate, they're going to procrastinate. Procrastinators don't suddenly start getting things done because you give them MORE time to do it.

If they're going to procrastinate, they're going to procrastinate. Procrastinators don't suddenly start getting things done because you give them MORE time to do it.
Ain't that the truth. I'll still turn stuff in an hour before it's due whether I have 4 days or 4 months to do it.

Completely true! I just think that giving them all of the time they could possibly need puts the applicant in the best position possible. It won't matter when you had asked if the letters never get submitted, but you might feel less terrible if you gave them plenty of time to get their letter done...

Completely true! I just think that giving them all of the time they could possibly need puts the applicant in the best position possible. It won't matter when you had asked if the letters never get submitted, but you might feel less terrible if you gave them plenty of time to get their letter done...
But before the application is even open? I mean, I did that for most of my recommenders, but only because I was going to be out of town for the whole summer. All but one still didn't submit until late September. And I had to send them reminders anyway. I think if they are people you still will be working with, it makes more sense to wait at least until the application is open. Most of the people I talked to at my school recommended a month or two in advance.

But before the application is even open? I mean, I did that for most of my recommenders, but only because I was going to be out of town for the whole summer. All but one still didn't submit until late September. And I had to send them reminders anyway. I think if they are people you still will be working with, it makes more sense to wait at least until the application is open. Most of the people I talked to at my school recommended a month or two in advance.
It's all up to individual opinions/comfort levels. The OP seems anxious to take care of things ASAP too. Like I said originally, it certainly can't HURT you to at least get your ducks in a row and have people agree to write the letter. You never know, someone might not give you much confidence in their answer and you might need to ask elsewhere.

I also mentioned that they probably wouldn't write it until September anyways haha. That's totally out of our control, unfortunately.

It's all up to individual opinions/comfort levels. The OP seems anxious to take care of things ASAP too. Like I said originally, it certainly can't HURT you to at least get your ducks in a row and have people agree to write the letter. You never know, someone might not give you much confidence in their answer and you might need to ask elsewhere.

I also mentioned that they probably wouldn't write it until September anyways haha. That's totally out of our control, unfortunately.

Your whole point for them asking now so far has been so the letter writer can start on the letter now and not start in August/September. Which is just not going to happen and I honestly believe it is rude to be asking this early about it when you have nothing to provide the letter writer with (VMCAS instructions). The only exception to this being if you aren't going to be working with them or seeing them again before the application opens.

Besides, it doesn't take months to write a letter for someone, I would be quite surprised if anyone spent more than an hour or two typing up a quick letter and submitting it. This isn't some type of rocket science. Asking someone in May when the application opens gives them 4 months to think about it.. giving them 5 additional months isn't going to make any difference. The letter shouldn't take more than a few hours at maximum to type up and submit.

Your whole point for them asking now so far has been so the letter writer can start on the letter now and not start in August/September. Which is just not going to happen and I honestly believe it is rude to be asking this early about it when you have nothing to provide the letter writer with (VMCAS instructions). The only exception to this being if you aren't going to be working with them or seeing them again before the application opens.

Besides, it doesn't take months to write a letter for someone, I would be quite surprised if anyone spent more than an hour or two typing up a quick letter and submitting it. This isn't some type of rocket science. Asking someone in May when the application opens gives them 4 months to think about it.. giving them 5 additional months isn't going to make any difference. The letter shouldn't take more than a few hours at maximum to type up and submit.
Yes....I mentioned that there is an "off chance that they could start the letter early." Again, reiterating that my original post said it "couldn't hurt." If you think it would be impolite to run it by someone and see if they're up for the task before they can submit, by all means, don't do it.

You're correct, it certainly shouldn't take someone months to write a letter. In one of my posts, I mentioned that most small animal doctors seem to be slammed during the summer. Assuming the OP is going to ask a small animal vet, it could give the vet an opportunity to get it out of the way, even if it's in March. But again, if you think that is rude, don't do it.