Fieldwork in South America

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lionking101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I landed a research assistant position for this summer in Trinidad and Tobago assisting a phd candidate with her dissertation work. I will be down there for about 45 days.

What I'm looking to you all for is any experience or suggestions. Any of you spend time in South America or someplace similar in which you more or less "roughed it". I'm trying to get an idea of good gear/clothing for the trip.

Also, anyone have some awesome stories about fieldwork/research/travel?

Sooooooooo excited!

:) !

Members don't see this ad.

I've done conservation work in Ecuador at a Hacienda that rehabilitates exotic rainforest animals. I went with the first group as the guinea pigs so to speak a couple years ago, and now my student organization is sending it's third group this summer because it's been working out so well. Got to work with a whole bunch of animals (tortoises, Andean bear, ocelots, spider monkeys, tapirs, a few species of macaws, ostrich, etc)

Just make sure you plan ahead knowing exactly what will be available to you and what your living conditions will be like. It was hot and humid, but I also tried to stay covered for protection from brush/sun/bugs (termite bites hurt!). Thinner clothes were easier to wash by hand and hang up to dry, and lighter to pack too. Just make sure you don't forget basics like sunscreen, bug spray, chap-stick, hand sanitizer, etc. Little things we take for granted might be inaccessible to you depending on where you are. I'm a hopeless forgetful and forgot chapstick; I'm not sure whether it was just sunburn, really chapped lips, or a random bout of angular cheilities, but the corners of my lips got all nasty and hurt like a mofo. I think I resorted to putting some other random topical analgesic I had on them because I was desperate. Pack carefully with a list and don't forget stuff for a long trip like that, it sucks :laugh:

If you haven't done so already it might be a good idea to visit a travel doctor. Not just for appropriate immunizations, but some preventatives. I like to keep some general meds (antibiotics, anti-diarrheal, anti-nausea) on hand just in case.

Hello all!

I landed a research assistant position for this summer in Trinidad and Tobago assisting a phd candidate with her dissertation work. I will be down there for about 45 days.

What I'm looking to you all for is any experience or suggestions. Any of you spend time in South America or someplace similar in which you more or less "roughed it". I'm trying to get an idea of good gear/clothing for the trip.

Also, anyone have some awesome stories about fieldwork/research/travel?

Sooooooooo excited!

:) !

i think i'd equate Trinidad more with Grenada and St. Kitts than South America...

that being said, find out what you are going to be provided with, where you're living, what basic housing things are being provided, etc. you may need something like a mosquito net for your bed depending upon the type of housing. medications and first aid supplies are a must - never know what will or wont be available. lots and lots of sunscreen! plenty of summery clothes but a few pairs of pants and a sweatshirt are also a good idea.

unless you're a bit of a princess, i promise you wont be "roughing it." these countries are fully functional with stores and a normal society, you just wont find a starbucks and mcdonalds on every corner, and the community is far more close knit and loving of each other. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're going into the wilderness at all, I highly highly highly recommend long-sleeved shirts and pants. I worked in Belize for a month...a plant is not allowed to exist there unless it's actively trying to kill or maim you. Or so it seemed. You can find very light material jogging-type shirts at soark.com. Yes, you probably do sweat more in them but it's worth it to avoid all the poisonwood, razor grass, and mosquitoes.

Like everyone else said, medications are definitely important. I would recommend bringing your own bandaids. There's nothing worse than getting a tiny cut and having it blow up into a swelling infected mess because you didn't slap a bandaid on it.

Bring a good hat. I recommend Tilly hats. They're guaranteed for a lifetime and are really good quality. Worth every penny for me.

Stories from me: I've worked in French Polynesia and Belize, and lived in the Galapagos. French Polynesia was a class where we spent 9 weeks conducting our own field research project. We definitely descended into the tropical forest but it was relatively tame. Compared to Belize. I worked there installing and maintaining camera traps, and assisting with a scat-finding dog. We hiked around 10k in virgin tropical forestyjungle every day. I absolutely loved it. Highlight probably would be seeing jaguarundi in the middle of the road (a momma and two babies!).

I hope you absolutely love it! There's something about the person you become while living in field conditions. I really got in touch with a person deep down inside of me that's just really special. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Trinidad is DEFINITELY considered the Caribbean, not S. America!

What kind of fieldwork (beach? jungle?). Regardless though of what type, bring a really decent pair of hiking boots. Preferably ones with grommets that won't rust in the salt air. For 45 days you you should be okay, but in my experience, crappy shoes don't tend to last long for intense fieldwork in the Caribbean. I COVET good boots. Zappos has a great selection. Also, I get cold at night so a fleece or light jacket can be helpful, especially if you are out in the middle of the night with wind or at a higher elevation. A decent poncho and rain jacket could also be useful. By decent, I mean large and heavy--the cheap, thin plastic ones tend to blow around alot and not keep you dry.

Another good thing to bring would be fire-ant bite pain reliever/anti-itch, in addition to other anti-itch products for mosquitoes. It is a gel that is specifically designed for fire-ant bites. Works great!

I've done fieldwork in the Virgin Islands for the past 10 years and am currently living here full time.

thanks for all your responses!

we will be staying in research stations, which is quite a luxury compared to some of the other trips people are taking. we will be hiking into the jungle daily to spend the day (dawn till dusk) mist netting birds, doing some analysis of flight, collecting them, and prepping them for museum collection.

this is the longest i'll ever be out of the country. spent about 10 days in nicaragua a couple years ago with other pre-vet students. just not really sure what to expect and if there are any things that i absolutely should take.