Fil-Ams, Medical School, Philippines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question to you guys. Anyone know what the "Certificate of Good Moral Character" forms are? I was just planning on getting two letters of rec. from former professors.

Thanks guys!

Same question! I need to find out the format of the "certificate of good moral character"...so I can just have two of my professors copy & paste it onto a school letterhead and make it look official :cool:

Anyone out there know?????

Members don't see this ad.

hey, sharmei17! :)

Thanks so much for posting here. I appreciate it a lot! Are you currently a student at UST? Any feedback about the school would be nice.

I'm strongly going for UERM, but still considering UST right now.

Thanks so much!
Kat :luck:

no, i'm not a student in UST. I'm from Ateneo de Manila.

UST is great. Actually, I'm planning to enter in that school after i finish my degree in Ateneo.

thanks.:)

no, i'm not a student in UST. I'm from Ateneo de Manila.

UST is great. Actually, I'm planning to enter in that school after i finish my degree in Ateneo.

thanks.:)

nice. :) are you also going to try at Ateneo School of Medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same question! I need to find out the format of the "certificate of good moral character"...so I can just have two of my professors copy & paste it onto a school letterhead and make it look official :cool:

Anyone out there know?????

I don't think there is a particular format for that. They just have to say that that you are basically a good person and yakkity yak yak (very articulate, isn't it?). well, that's as far as my memory goes.

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to wish all of you the best of luck with applying to medical school in general. I am a Fil-Am who is a 4th year medical student at UCLA. As a Fil-Am, I want to encourage all of you guys not to give up, no matter where you end up for medical school, whether it is the Philippines or elsewhere. Just work hard, stay positive and believe in yourself. When you become a medical student and then a physician, just try to remember the struggles and hurdles you went through and try to help others out there as well.

God Bless.

Junior
4th year medical student - UCLA School of Medicine
Los Angeles, CA

Hey Maricar! I agree with Kat (who is pretty awesome as well) that you are definitely awesome in terms of helpful advice! Anyways, how were your four years off from school? I actually just graduated UCLA this year, c/o 2007 :) That's cool that there is another fellow Bruin going through the same process. Its reassuring just knowing the fact that there are other Fil-Ams doing the same thing I am. Anyways, yeah let me know about the study group info...sounds like a great idea since none of us have taken the test before and there aren't exactly review centers anywhere in SoCal. I'm leaving for the Philippines in Oct. so a majority of my studying is going to be in September, so just let me know! I wonder what's the best meeting point between us. Right now, I'm living near The Grove...which part of LA are you from?

Hi Mel! Sorry I'm only replying now. It's been pretty hectic for me these past few days so I haven't had the chance to log on here in a while. Anyways, to answer your question, my 4 years off from school was a blur! haha. It went by so fast! I feel like I just graduated from college actually. Working in the real world is no fun, let me tell you! lol. I'm definitely looking forward to going back to school!

Congratulations on graduating from UCLA this year! I spent most of my undergrad at UCLA actually, cuz my boyfriend at the time went there, so I was constantly there! All of my good friends went to UCLA, so I'm pretty much an "honorary" Bruin! haha. Were you in Samahang? Right now, I live in the San Fernando Valley, about 20 mins from UCLA. Let me know when you wanna study. Do you have Myspace? Kat and I have been communicating through Myspace a lot..haha. Well, anyways, hope stuyding is going well for you. Take care! :luck:

Hey Maricar! I agree with Kat (who is pretty awesome as well) that you are definitely awesome in terms of helpful advice! Anyways, how were your four years off from school? I actually just graduated UCLA this year, c/o 2007 :) That's cool that there is another fellow Bruin going through the same process. Its reassuring just knowing the fact that there are other Fil-Ams doing the same thing I am. Anyways, yeah let me know about the study group info...sounds like a great idea since none of us have taken the test before and there aren't exactly review centers anywhere in SoCal. I'm leaving for the Philippines in Oct. so a majority of my studying is going to be in September, so just let me know! I wonder what's the best meeting point between us. Right now, I'm living near The Grove...which part of LA are you from?

Hi Mel! Sorry I'm only replying now. It's been pretty hectic for me these past few days so I haven't had the chance to log on here in a while. Anyways, to answer your question, my 4 years off from school was a blur! haha. It went by so fast! I feel like I just graduated from college actually. Working in the real world is no fun, let me tell you! lol. I'm definitely looking forward to going back to school!

Congratulations on graduating from UCLA this year! I spent most of my undergrad at UCLA actually, cuz my boyfriend at the time went there, so I was constantly there! All of my good friends went to UCLA, so I'm pretty much an "honorary" Bruin! haha. Were you in Samahang? Right now, I live in the San Fernando Valley, about 20 mins from UCLA. Let me know when you wanna study. Do you have Myspace? Kat and I have been communicating through Myspace a lot..haha. Well, anyways, hope stuyding is going well for you. Take care! :luck:

Hey, aspiring doctor! Totally diggin that userID. Seems like we all are aspiring doctors right now trying to get through all the obstacles of applying! Thank you so much for that information! :)

I actually know a local graduate of DLS-HSC... the one in Cavite, right? He says he got a lot out of the PBL curriculum there, but also cautioned to me that PBL (problem-based learning) wasn't for everyone. Also, being that we are Fil-Ams... I don't think we're used to the PBL curriculum. We are more lecture-based, didactic style learners. Does DLS-HSC still teach PBL-style? I know that's what my local Filipino friend told me. He is at UP-PGH doing residency right now, I believe. Also, isn't Cavite a province or is it part of Manila? I think he said it was provincial. That $5,000.00 fee's pretty good, though!

Are you a Fil-Am, as well? If so, thanks for sharing that info! If not and you're local to the Philippines, THANK YOU EVEN MORE for just poppin by this thread and posting!!!!! LoL... local input would be nice, too. All the info we get is usually word of mouth from other Fil-Ams. I just visited the website for La Salle right now, and it looks way more updated than any of the others I visited. Hehe. well, take care :)

I agree with Aspiring Doctor...La Salle is worth a look. To answer your questions, DLS-HSC is actually using an integrated organ systems teaching style. Cavite is provinicial, but all the sights of the city are only an hour away.

I personally haven't seen any of the other med schools here in the Philippines, but from what I've heard from friends and from people who have transferred to La Salle from other local med schools, the facilities are nicer at La Salle.

Hi Roxanne,

I don't think GPA really matters...strange but it guess its because they have a shortage of doctors right now...but their NMAT cut-off score is 55. I have no clue how many Fil-Ams they accept :confused:, but from my understanding, they have quite a few each year. From their website, it says that the foreign fee is $10,000 USD.:thumbdown:

If you need more information, here's the information sheet for non-residents: http://www.education.uerm.ph/index.php?fid=medicine-info01

Hope that helps! When are you planning on applying? Are you taking the NMAT in October/November? Best of luck to you.

-Melanie :)

Hey Mel,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I'm planning on taking the NMAT this October 27 in Chicago. I just got the packet yesterday from Mr. Vergara..... starting to crack open my books ::sigh::

Do you have any ideas on how many foreign students are in St. Luke's? Can you do any clinical rotations in the US?

Thanks!!!!

-Roxanne:p

In the applications they said that they want the original and photocopies of the your birth certificate. How can you do that if there is only one original copy of the birth certificate?

Also, that little paper in packet from Mr. Vergara for the NMAT registration, the one with the picture......Do you need one for every school you are going to apply to as a proof to them that you are in college right now? I'm graduating this Fall 2007...so I don't know how on earth to send/meet this diploma requirement. :p

Sorry to bother you with my questions. I'm just kinda confused here......:confused:
Hey Roxanne,

So from my understanding, I think there is a way to request an original certified copy of your birth certificate. For CA residents, its through the dept. of health services and its only $14 per copy...so I was going to send that in.

For that NMAT registration, you only need one, because you are only taking the NMAT once :laugh: And it does say that the school head is certifying that you are the student who graduated or is graduating from the institution...so you should be fine.'

And as for the diploma requirement, my school does "certificates of completion" if you need one before the diploma is available...because I graduated in June and I won't get my diploma until the end of October, but I don't think those are due until later when you actually apply for the schools. I'm sure your school should have something similar for their graduates too. But for now, you just need to make sure you turn in your NMAT registration materials one month before the test.

Hope that helped a little,
Melanie

Hey Roxanne,

So from my understanding, I think there is a way to request an original certified copy of your birth certificate. For CA residents, its through the dept. of health services and its only $14 per copy...so I was going to send that in.

For that NMAT registration, you only need one, because you are only taking the NMAT once :laugh: And it does say that the school head is certifying that you are the student who graduated or is graduating from the institution...so you should be fine.'

And as for the diploma requirement, my school does "certificates of completion" if you need one before the diploma is available...because I graduated in June and I won't get my diploma until the end of October, but I don't think those are due until later when you actually apply for the schools. I'm sure your school should have something similar for their graduates too. But for now, you just need to make sure you turn in your NMAT registration materials one month before the test.

Hope that helped a little,
Melanie

Good information to know. Thanks!

Has anyone out there already FINISHED AND TURNED IN their PI med school applications?

I'm still a-workin on mine...

:)
Kat

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Idyxswtnes!! It was nice hearing from you and to know that you're going through the same thing I am! Ok, to answer your questions, I am taking the NMAT in November in LA as well. So, I guess I will definitely see you there! =) As for the application to UERM, I have not applied yet. I know the deadline for applications is in December. My mom is currently in the Philippines right now, so I think I'm going to ask her to pick one up for me at the school directly if they already have it over there. I can try to get one for you as well and mail it to you if you want?

As for the school itself, UERM is a really good school. My cousin, who grew up in the Philippines, is a 2nd year med student there now. She has about 10 Fil-Am classmates and 1 White guy..haha. She really likes it there. Have you read the requirements for applying as a non-resident to UERM? Do you now what a personal history statement is? Is that just like a personal statement? My dad says it is, but I wanna make sure, cuz he doesn't remeber doing that when he was applying. As for the NMAt, the cutoff is 55, but I think if you score lower, they could probably make an exception. Where did you go for your undergrad and what was your major?

Well, it was great hearing from you! I guess we'll be classmates next year! I'm really excited to go already! I wish I could go now! haha. Well, take care! Hope to hear from you soon!

hey guys....mind asking if you could also get me an application from UERM:D?

thanks a bunch. will see you both this november in LA:thumbup:

Don't you just need to download the UERM application off their website??? Just wondering if I did the wrong thing or not....

Also, does anyone know that if you get dual citizenship will exclude you from the foreign fee?...$10K is still a lot of money.

UERM has US clinical rotations? If so, what year and how many months? How do you go about it? Are you paying the 10K so that you can have rotations here in the US or is it another payment?

Thanks~!!!

-Roxanne :p

Hi! I'm so glad to find this forum and specially this thread! I'm in the same boat as most of you that are posting. I am a Phil-Am living in Pittsburgh, PA planning to attend UERM this comming school year June 2008. My degree is in Antrhopology and Historic preservation. Work for the Univ. of Pittsburgh for a couple of years in academic advising and admissions board. After being astray from a family of doctors, I'm going to try to get into the medical field.

I just sent $30 to Mr. Vergara so that I can get the ball rolling to take the NMATs on October 27 in Chicago. I'm starting to get nervous.

My sister is a 4th year UERM med student doing her clincal rotations in New York at St. Johns Episcopal hospital. A friend of mine also graduated from UERM in 04 and currently doing his first year residency in Allegheny General hospital for Psychiatry. I will try to get them to chime in to give us some good info.

I'm really excited and nervous about relocating to manila and starting med school. I'm glad to find people who are in the same boat as I am.

Well thats it for now. Looking forward to spending some time on this message board and studying for the NMATs. From what I've heard its not very hard.

Hi! I'm so glad to find this forum and specially this thread! I'm in the same boat as most of you that are posting. I am a Phil-Am living in Pittsburgh, PA planning to attend UERM this comming school year June 2008. My degree is in Antrhopology and Historic preservation. Work for the Univ. of Pittsburgh for a couple of years in academic advising and admissions board. After being astray from a family of doctors, I'm going to try to get into the medical field.

I just sent $30 to Mr. Vergara so that I can get the ball rolling to take the NMATs on October 27 in Chicago. I'm starting to get nervous.

My sister is a 4th year UERM med student doing her clincal rotations in New York at St. Johns Episcopal hospital. A friend of mine also graduated from UERM in 04 and currently doing his first year residency in Allegheny General hospital for Psychiatry. I will try to get them to chime in to give us some good info.

I'm really excited and nervous about relocating to manila and starting med school. I'm glad to find people who are in the same boat as I am.

Well thats it for now. Looking forward to spending some time on this message board and studying for the NMATs. From what I've heard its not very hard.

Hi there! It's so great that you know people who are either at UERM or graduated from there just recently. At least you'll know what to expect. How many months is your sister doing her clinical rotations in NY for? My dad said it's something like 10 months in the U.S. and then 2 months in the PI. But it might have changed since he's been in school. I think it's great that we can gain experience in the US during our 4th year. It'll definitely help with getting a residency once we graduate! Well, I guess we'll be classmates next year! see you then!

Hi there! It's so great that you know people who are either at UERM or graduated from there just recently. At least you'll know what to expect. How many months is your sister doing her clinical rotations in NY for? My dad said it's something like 10 months in the U.S. and then 2 months in the PI. But it might have changed since he's been in school. I think it's great that we can gain experience in the US during our 4th year. It'll definitely help with getting a residency once we graduate! Well, I guess we'll be classmates next year! see you then!

my sis is doing 7 months in new york. you can do another 3 months in chicago but its starting to get expensive. It comes out to be around $1,000 a month just for the tuition plus you need room and board. Rent in NYC is super expensive! so she's going back to manila oct 26th to finish her rotations in UERM hospital.

she also told me that you dont need to take all of the pre med courses for admission in UERM. you just need a bachelors degree and a decent NMAT score. However, to get that good NMAT score you need to take Bio, chem, physics, and algebra. hope this info helps.

my sis is doing 7 months in new york. you can do another 3 months in chicago but its starting to get expensive. It comes out to be around $1,000 a month just for the tuition plus you need room and board. Rent in NYC is super expensive! so she's going back to manila oct 26th to finish her rotations in UERM hospital.

she also told me that you dont need to take all of the pre med courses for admission in UERM. you just need a bachelors degree and a decent NMAT score. However, to get that good NMAT score you need to take Bio, chem, physics, and algebra. hope this info helps.

Wow! That is pricey! But that's awesome that they give that option. As for the pre-med courses, yes, I heard the same thing. I myself graduated in 2003 from UCSD with a major in Psychology. I took some pre-med coursework, but not all. I've been out of school for a while and I'm just worried that once in med school, I'll fall behind because I don't have a very solid background in the sciences. I'm going to have to work very, very hard. haha. But I'm pretty determined so hopefully i'll be ok. By the way, do you have myspace? lol. A few of us have been communicating on there as well. Anyways, good luck studying! =)

Maricar

Wow! That is pricey! But that's awesome that they give that option. As for the pre-med courses, yes, I heard the same thing. I myself graduated in 2003 from UCSD with a major in Psychology. I took some pre-med coursework, but not all. I've been out of school for a while and I'm just worried that once in med school, I'll fall behind because I don't have a very solid background in the sciences. I'm going to have to work very, very hard. haha. But I'm pretty determined so hopefully i'll be ok. By the way, do you have myspace? lol. A few of us have been communicating on there as well. Anyways, good luck studying! =)

Maricar

ya, here's my myspace: http://www.myspace.com/rockycristobal
its a little messed up. i need to fix the text on my page.

I am really proud of all you guys on here. It sounds like all of you are working hard to get through this year. Just remember that being a doctor is a journey and the process of applying to medical school in general, is one of the most difficult parts of the process. Hang in there and if you guys ever need anything once you finish medical school and have questions about applying to residency, just let me know. I really hope I can stay on at UCLA.......though it might be nice to go somewhere different since I have been here at UCLA for almost 8 years.....(4 years of undergrad and now almost 4 years of medical school)......

Just FYI......there are international medical students from the P.I. doing some rotations at UCLA affiliated hospitals now.....I met someone from UST who was doing a high risk OB elective at Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles.

I am really proud of all you guys on here. It sounds like all of you are working hard to get through this year. Just remember that being a doctor is a journey and the process of applying to medical school in general, is one of the most difficult parts of the process. Hang in there and if you guys ever need anything once you finish medical school and have questions about applying to residency, just let me know. I really hope I can stay on at UCLA.......though it might be nice to go somewhere different since I have been here at UCLA for almost 8 years.....(4 years of undergrad and now almost 4 years of medical school)......

Just FYI......there are international medical students from the P.I. doing some rotations at UCLA affiliated hospitals now.....I met someone from UST who was doing a high risk OB elective at Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles.

Thank you for the encouragement voltron77! UCLA is a great school!!! It's awesome that you made it there! Good luck with your residency! What specialty do you plan to go into?

Ya, thanks for the encouraging words voltron! Its greatly appreciated at this time of anxiety. I just got up at 7am today and reviewed til about 1:30pm non stop for the NMATs.

Which MCAT reviewers are you guys using? I've been using the McGraw-Hill MCAT book.

Ya, thanks for the encouraging words voltron! Its greatly appreciated at this time of anxiety. I just got up at 7am today and reviewed til about 1:30pm non stop for the NMATs.

Which MCAT reviewers are you guys using? I've been using the McGraw-Hill MCAT book.

I'm using the same book. Wow! That's some intense reviewing! haha. I can barely get through 2 chapters a day! lol. Well, goodluck studying! =)

I'm using Kaplan's MCAT Premier Program and my old DAT flashcards from last year. I'm also reviewing a Psychology reviewer.. Collin's College Outlines for Psychology.

I still haven't gotten my NMAT packet yet from Mr. Vergara, so I'm also waiting on that.

Yay! So glad people are utilizing this thread. Welcome, pccst8! And thanks for the words, Voltron. Hi Maricar! :)

Man, just reading through this thread alone... there are gonna be quite a few potential UERM fil-ams. Maybe we'll all be classmates! Pretty exciting.
:thumbup::rolleyes::idea::luck:
Kat

hey guys....mind asking if you could also get me an application from UERM:D?

thanks a bunch. will see you both this november in LA:thumbup:

I think you can go to their website and the application's there for download :)

Don't you just need to download the UERM application off their website??? Just wondering if I did the wrong thing or not....

Also, does anyone that if you get dual citizenship can exclude you from the foreign fee?...$10K is still a lot of money.

UERM has US clinical rotations? If so, what year and how many months? How do you go about it? Are you paying the 10K so that you can have rotations here in the US or is it another payment?

Thanks~!!!

-Roxanne :p

If you do get dual citizenship (I just got mine this year!), I do NOT believe it excludes you from paying the foreign fee of $10,000.00. I think that if they know (and they should because you will be sending your college transcripts to them) that you went to college/obtained your bachelor's degree outside of the Philippines, and even though you are a new dual citizen, you would still pay the fee nonetheless.

You are paying the $10,000.00, I think, as like a donation/courtesy fee to the school, and as far as I know from talking with other students... having the opportunity to go do your rotations in the U.S. is an entirely separate tuition from the $10 G's... I believe it is $7,000.00 not including food or living expenses.

Aside from the $30 materials fee for the NMAT. Taking the NMAT itself also has a fee ($350) and then of course, your application to the schools itself has a fee (UERM application is $200 for the "processing fee").

OH MY GOSH, that's the first time I went through ALL that at one time. They are really loving the no-holds-barred perspective on foreigner fees... Oh, I just hope it's all WORTH IT! :luck:

If you do get dual citizenship (I just got mine this year!), I do NOT believe it excludes you from paying the foreign fee of $10,000.00. I think that if they know (and they should because you will be sending your college transcripts to them) that you went to college/obtained your bachelor's degree outside of the Philippines, and even though you are a new dual citizen, you would still pay the fee nonetheless.

You are paying the $10,000.00, I think, as like a donation/courtesy fee to the school, and as far as I know from talking with other students... having the opportunity to go do your rotations in the U.S. is an entirely separate tuition from the $10 G's... I believe it is $7,000.00 not including food or living expenses.

Aside from the $30 materials fee for the NMAT. Taking the NMAT itself also has a fee ($350) and then of course, your application to the schools itself has a fee (UERM application is $200 for the "processing fee").

OH MY GOSH, that's the first time I went through ALL that at one time. They are really loving the no-holds-barred perspective on foreigner fees... Oh, I just hope it's all WORTH IT! :luck:

ldy,

is ust lenient on fil-ams evenif you don't have a great gpa? it said on their website that more than 6 credits of F's will not be considered at all....or the 10K foreign fee would change their minds??? how much better is ust than ue? which school will prepare me more for the usmle?...more like which school has the better teaching style and professors. my mom talked to a doctor she works with and apparently said that ue is a party school. now she is worried that i'll party too lol. aye naku naman~!! :cool:

lastly, as for the student visa, do you get that once you heard something from the school? what month do you hear about acceptance?

thanks!!!!

P.S. Are there any US loans available for UE or UST?

ldy,

is ust lenient on fil-ams evenif you don't have a great gpa? it said on their website that more than 6 credits of F's will not be considered at all....or the 10K foreign fee would change their minds??? how much better is ust than ue? which school will prepare me more for the usmle?...more like which school has the better teaching style and professors. my mom talked to a doctor she works with and apparently said that ue is a party school. now she is worried that i'll party too lol. aye naku naman~!! :cool:

lastly, as for the student visa, do you get that once you heard something from the school? what month do you hear about acceptance?

thanks!!!!

P.S. Are there any US loans available for UE or UST?

As far as UST is concerned, I've heard it to be a good school. Both my uncle and my aunt went to that school. I'm not exactly sure how strict they are gpa-wise, but I know that they are pretty less lenient about the nmat cut-off.

If it says that 6 credits worth of F's won't be accepted, then it won't be accepted. No offense or anything to you or to anybody, but F's on any transcript won't be looked upon favorably at any legit med school institution here or in the Philippines, but that's NOT to say one still can't get in... because it's still possible that one can! However, I strongly disagree that the $10 K donation fee will make up for a series of bad undergraduate grades. One cannot BUY academic credibility - It should be EARNED, I think.

You asked, "how much better is ust than ue?" I'm not sure. You should ask the local Filipino students about that one if you're that interested to know, though I can tell you right now that you'll get a plethora of answers depending on who you ask. All I can say is that as U.S. graduates and holders of bachelor's degrees from U.S. universities, all that should matter is going to the school that you know is credible and that you feel comfortable with academically AND socially, as there will be lots of interaction with your classmates in the classroom and labs and you need good vibes with them in order to learn well.

You asked, "which school will prepare me more for the usmle?" BOTH schools (ust and ue) teach their students and gear them up for the Philippine boards, which is NOT the USMLE - in fact, very different. UST and UE are both private Philippine universities so it's only understandable that that's how the curriculum is based. However, medicine and science is exactly that... medicine and science. And it's scientific foundations and facts are the same anywhere in the world. If you want to go to med school in the Philippines WITH the intentions to practice in the United States, then you have to study for the USMLE outside of classroom time.

It's like double studying because you have your normal school texts and assignments to do/study, but then on top of that, you also MUST prepare yourself for the USMLE independently and it won't be easy because there are A LOT OF FACTS and TABLES and APPLICATIONS to know (Trust me, I already perused through "First Aid for the USMLE Step 1" :eek:). I've also read the ECFMG website for IMG's (international medical graduates), which is such a GREAT RESOURCE :thumbup: Go to it at http://www.ecfmg.org !!! It really emphasized to me how important this test (taken in 3 steps) is in order to obtain residency here in the U.S. So, it's important to choose a school that you're comfortable with that will allow you the time to study for both regular class stuff and the usmle. There's also another good book out there that I've read: "Med School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Medical School Experience" by a guy named R. H. Miller. Also, I can't forget to mention the first book that I read, "Getting In: How Not to Apply to Medical School" by Paul Jung. I really, really did my homework before deciding to go to Medical School, especially in the Philippines. These books are all mainly geared towards U.S. med schools and the USMLE, so I really compared it with what I knew about the curriculums at Philippine med schools and it helped me develop a study plan for the USMLE.

I never heard of UE being labeled as a party school, but even med schools have their own labels, I guess. For example, my undergrad institution is the University of Florida (Go Gators!). Some people call us the party school because we're a college town and great at sports... we win national championships in football and basketball. But, in Florida, the state recognizes us as the most competitive out of the public universities in FL to get into - so it's selective, and it's a pretty challenging undergrad curriculum. Labels are labels, and I suppose you get them for a reason. BUT reputation is way more important, so even though UE can be labeled like that, it still holds a reputation for sending its Fil-Ams back to the States in secure good residencies... which is really the point, after all.

Ultimately, it's not the school... it's the INDIVIDUAL that has more influence over what he or she can do, no matter what anyone else says. Just do your research on the schools, read books, ask around, and decide whether or not a certain school can fit the criteria you're looking for. That's exactly what I did.

GOODLUCK TO EVERYONE.

Kat :)

Does anyone know US if SLMC and De La Salle are US accredited? I heard that there is an opprtunity to have US rotations in De La Salle? Is that true?

Thanks!:)

As far as UST is concerned, I've heard it to be a good school. Both my uncle and my aunt went to that school. I'm not exactly sure how strict they are gpa-wise, but I know that they are pretty less lenient about the nmat cut-off.

If it says that 6 credits worth of F's won't be accepted, then it won't be accepted. No offense or anything to you or to anybody, but F's on any transcript won't be looked upon favorably at any legit med school institution here or in the Philippines, but that's NOT to say one still can't get in... because it's still possible that one can! However, I strongly disagree that the $10 K donation fee will make up for a series of bad undergraduate grades. One cannot BUY academic credibility - It should be EARNED, I think.

You asked, "how much better is ust than ue?" I'm not sure. You should ask the local Filipino students about that one if you're that interested to know, though I can tell you right now that you'll get a plethora of answers depending on who you ask. All I can say is that as U.S. graduates and holders of bachelor's degrees from U.S. universities, all that should matter is going to the school that you know is credible and that you feel comfortable with academically AND socially, as there will be lots of interaction with your classmates in the classroom and labs and you need good vibes with them in order to learn well.

You asked, "which school will prepare me more for the usmle?" BOTH schools (ust and ue) teach their students and gear them up for the Philippine boards, which is NOT the USMLE - in fact, very different. UST and UE are both private Philippine universities so it's only understandable that that's how the curriculum is based. However, medicine and science is exactly that... medicine and science. And it's scientific foundations and facts are the same anywhere in the world. If you want to go to med school in the Philippines WITH the intentions to practice in the United States, then you have to study for the USMLE outside of classroom time.

It's like double studying because you have your normal school texts and assignments to do/study, but then on top of that, you also MUST prepare yourself for the USMLE independently and it won't be easy because there are A LOT OF FACTS and TABLES and APPLICATIONS to know (Trust me, I already perused through "First Aid for the USMLE Step 1" :eek:). I've also read the ECFMG website for IMG's (international medical graduates), which is such a GREAT RESOURCE :thumbup: Go to it at http://www.ecfmg.org !!! It really emphasized to me how important this test (taken in 3 steps) is in order to obtain residency here in the U.S. So, it's important to choose a school that you're comfortable with that will allow you the time to study for both regular class stuff and the usmle. There's also another good book out there that I've read: "Med School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Medical School Experience" by a guy named R. H. Miller. Also, I can't forget to mention the first book that I read, "Getting In: How Not to Apply to Medical School" by Paul Jung. I really, really did my homework before deciding to go to Medical School, especially in the Philippines. These books are all mainly geared towards U.S. med schools and the USMLE, so I really compared it with what I knew about the curriculums at Philippine med schools and it helped me develop a study plan for the USMLE.

I never heard of UE being labeled as a party school, but even med schools have their own labels, I guess. For example, my undergrad institution is the University of Florida (Go Gators!). Some people call us the party school because we're a college town and great at sports... we win national championships in football and basketball. But, in Florida, the state recognizes us as the most competitive out of the public universities in FL to get into - so it's selective, and it's a pretty challenging undergrad curriculum. Labels are labels, and I suppose you get them for a reason. BUT reputation is way more important, so even though UE can be labeled like that, it still holds a reputation for sending its Fil-Ams back to the States in secure good residencies... which is really the point, after all.

Ultimately, it's not the school... it's the INDIVIDUAL that has more influence over what he or she can do, no matter what anyone else says. Just do your research on the schools, read books, ask around, and decide whether or not a certain school can fit the criteria you're looking for. That's exactly what I did.

GOODLUCK TO EVERYONE.

Kat :)

Thanks for the info Kat! I wish my Mom didn't talk to that doctor..polluting here mind. hehe...but UE is still my first choice!!!

Who's with me?? I just got done writing the Sept. 11 MCAT...and I'm ready to start cracking open the NMAT materials...does anyone have more practice tests out there other than the ones Godfrey gave us? I'm here in LA, so for everyone out there who want to review as a group. Let me know! Good luck everyone with studying.

Does anyone know US if SLMC and De La Salle are US accredited? I heard that there is an opprtunity to have US rotations in De La Salle? Is that true?

Thanks!:)

La Salle is US accredited. As far as rotations, there are opportunities to do them in the states, but you gotta find 'em yourself. I do know of previous Lasallian Fil-Ams who have done their rotations in the states and are actually finishing up their residencies right now.

Oh, and in regards to the foreigner's fee at La Salle...I don't know about other schools, but having dual citizenship exempts you from paying the foreigner's fee (which is $5,000 at DLS-HSC).

La Salle is US accredited. As far as rotations, there are opportunities to do them in the states, but you gotta find 'em yourself. I do know of previous Lasallian Fil-Ams who have done their rotations in the states and are actually finishing up their residencies right now.

Oh, and in regards to the foreigner's fee at La Salle...I don't know about other schools, but having dual citizenship exempts you from paying the foreigner's fee (which is $5,000 at DLS-HSC).

Just to clarify a point, the US doesn't accredit medical schools. The LCME is the body that accredits medical schools in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico.
http://www.lcme.org/
http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm

The US, however, recognizes medical degrees from other countries, as long as the degrees are granted by a medical school that is recognized within the country in which it is located. There are a few exceptions but generally this is the rule. Take a look at this http://imed.ecfmg.org/search.asp

Just to clarify a point, the US doesn't accredit medical schools. The LCME is the body that accredits medical schools in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico.
http://www.lcme.org/
http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm

The US, however, recognizes medical degrees from other countries, as long as the degrees are granted by a medical school that is recognized within the country in which it is located. There are a few exceptions but generally this is the rule. Take a look at this http://imed.ecfmg.org/search.asp

Yes, this is absolutely accurate. The US does NOT do any type of accreditation of med schools outside of the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. Therefore, the med schools in the Philippines are NOT U.S. accredited.

BUT! Wazobia is right in that the US still recognizes medical degrees obtained from countries OUTSIDE LCME U.S.-accredited schools. The med schools in the Philippines are recognized (so long as they are listed under IMED).

I said this already in a previous post, but I think that the ECFMG website (which is *the* website for all IMG's that would like to practice in the U.S.) is very informative. If you guys have a chance, you should at least become familiar with it / peruse through it. www.ecfmg.org (They also have information on the USMLE and it's three "steps", and also this is the website you will use for ERAS, which is for applying to residency spots in the US... I know it's a long way, but still I also think it's good to at least be informed about it and what to expect).

Goodluck :luck:

is there a deadline to get the application for the NMATs being offered in October or Novemeber? I sent my check to Mr. Vergara awhile ago and still no application packet. anyone else on the same boat?

is there a deadline to get the application for the NMATs being offered in October or Novemeber? I sent my check to Mr. Vergara awhile ago and still no application packet. anyone else on the same boat?

Yah technically, deadline is a month before the test.. But I spoke to Mr. Godfrey and said he could extend it.

I just decided to go to Philippines for medschool so I haven't done anything yet. I am sending my application form along with the 350 tomorrow. It took three business days before I received the application packet from him.

I am so tense about this whole thing it feels so overwhelming. Too much application forms and what not. I don't even know if I could study for NMAT since my schedule alone for school activities are all tied up. . .

Hopefully all goes well for all of us taking the NMAT here!

My cousins Sam and Sherwin Dona are doing their proper at UERM. I am sure ur sister knows them. I am going to apply to ust aswell as ue.

Hey where are you taking ur NMAT at? give me a call at 4438036839 my name's jeremy. that goes for everyone here too! I just wanna meet people who are in the same state as I am. Thanks!

Hello all,

I'm having to push my NMAT testing to 2008. I've been busy with my own undergrad coursework and don't have the money either (flight, hotel, testing fee). Good luck to you all.

Also, for anyone thinking about UST. My "aunt" is close with one of the deans of the med school. He stressed the $10k donation is a requirement for foreign students. Even if you obtain dual citizenship, the "foreign student" designation applies to anyone who did not complete their undergraduate req's in the Philippines. The other things (grades, credits, paperwork) are all in stone. Only the NMAT is what they're more or less flexible on depending on all of the applicants. I'd push for as high of an NMAT score as possible if you're really hoping for that school and you might be lacking in the other areas. I have heard that FAFSA recognizes UST as a school eligible for loans but I'm not 100% sure on that. I'd check it out after getting accepted.

I'm still pushing for UE myself. Good luck to you all.

Found something interesting too..

NON ADMISSABLE APPLICATIONS
APPLICATIONS FROM THE FOLLOWING WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.

1. Those who are not holders of a bachelor's degree in science or arts (AB/BS) conferred upon by a duly recognized educational institution at the time of application for non-resident aliens and for Filipinos studying in foreign schools.
2. Those who have incurred more than eight (8) units failure.
3. Those who have advanced credits in medicine
4. Those who have not taken the National Medical Admission Test (NMAT) and those whose higher NMAT scores as of December 2000 are below 65 percentile.
5. Those who have been convicted of any crime.

Looks like UST updated it's requirements section, because is specifically remember it being 6 a few weeks ago (something I was concerned about too)

Yah technically, deadline is a month before the test.. But I spoke to Mr. Godfrey and said he could extend it.

I just decided to go to Philippines for medschool so I haven't done anything yet. I am sending my application form along with the 350 tomorrow. It took three business days before I received the application packet from him.

I am so tense about this whole thing it feels so overwhelming. Too much application forms and what not. I don't even know if I could study for NMAT since my schedule alone for school activities are all tied up. . .

Hopefully all goes well for all of us taking the NMAT here!

My cousins Sam and Sherwin Dona are doing their proper at UERM. I am sure ur sister knows them. I am going to apply to ust aswell as ue.

Hey where are you taking ur NMAT at? give me a call at 4438036839 my name's jeremy. that goes for everyone here too! I just wanna meet people who are in the same state as I am. Thanks!

Hey Jeremy,

It is a bit overwhelming for sure, but I think you'll be ok. Just do one thing at a time. hehe. It'll all be worth it in the end! Plus, it's a lot less stressful than trying to get into med school here in the U.S. that's for sure! Goodluck to you on the NMAT. I"m sure you'll do fine. I've heard from a lot of people it's not difficult at all. Study a little though, just in case. haha. If you have any questions or anything, don't hessitate to ask. :luck:

Maricar

Yes, this is absolutely accurate. The US does NOT do any type of accreditation of med schools outside of the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. Therefore, the med schools in the Philippines are NOT U.S. accredited.

BUT! Wazobia is right in that the US still recognizes medical degrees obtained from countries OUTSIDE LCME U.S.-accredited schools. The med schools in the Philippines are recognized (so long as they are listed under IMED).

I said this already in a previous post, but I think that the ECFMG website (which is *the* website for all IMG's that would like to practice in the U.S.) is very informative. If you guys have a chance, you should at least become familiar with it / peruse through it. www.ecfmg.org (They also have information on the USMLE and it's three "steps", and also this is the website you will use for ERAS, which is for applying to residency spots in the US... I know it's a long way, but still I also think it's good to at least be informed about it and what to expect).

Goodluck :luck:

This is good information to keep in the back burner but do not worry about this at this point........getting into medical school is your next destination.....keep that in mind...worrying about the USMLE Steps 1, 2CK, 2CS, and Step 3 and residency is some time away. As someone on the tail end of finishing med school and going through the residency process currently, the USMLE can be challenging but it is definitely doable......focus on the task ahead.....i.e. NMAT and applying to medical school......other than that, stay positive and give youself a break every now and then to enjoy life......best of luck to all of you......:luck:

Hey Jeremy,

It is a bit overwhelming for sure, but I think you'll be ok. Just do one thing at a time. hehe. It'll all be worth it in the end! Plus, it's a lot less stressful than trying to get into med school here in the U.S. that's for sure! Goodluck to you on the NMAT. I"m sure you'll do fine. I've heard from a lot of people it's not difficult at all. Study a little though, just in case. haha. If you have any questions or anything, don't hessitate to ask. :luck:

Maricar

Yah definitely one step at a time. where r u taking NMAT at? and what schoools are you trying to get into? Well thanks for saying that i am gonna do fine on the test, now i'll prolly fail it... haha. well i glanced through the practice exam and i thought it was ok. yah i need to cover some basic stuff on physics and chem. Well goodluck to us! keep in tats!

Yah definitely one step at a time. where r u taking NMAT at? and what schoools are you trying to get into? Well thanks for saying that i am gonna do fine on the test, now i'll prolly fail it... haha. well i glanced through the practice exam and i thought it was ok. yah i need to cover some basic stuff on physics and chem. Well goodluck to us! keep in tats!

I'm taking the NMAT in LA. The only school I'm applying to actually is UERM. My cousin goes there. She's a second year now. She knows your cousin Sherwin actually. He was in her class last year. Anyways, do you have Myspace? haha. I've asked almost everyone on here if they have myspace. So, far everyone does. That's funny. Well, goodluck to you as well on the NMAT. Where are you applying??

Maricar :luck:

I'm taking the NMAT in LA. The only school I'm applying to actually is UERM. My cousin goes there. She's a second year now. She knows your cousin Sherwin actually. He was in her class last year. Anyways, do you have Myspace? haha. I've asked almost everyone on here if they have myspace. So, far everyone does. That's funny. Well, goodluck to you as well on the NMAT. Where are you applying??

Maricar :luck:

hey nah i have no myspace. i have this thing called friendster tho. i am keeping it pinoy since every other filipinos has prenster. anyway, i am applying to ust and ofcourse uerm. but ust is my first choice. goodluck to us!

i am here now in the country been trying to settle down
and applying around...

my opinion so far:
  • dlsu campus...i loved it! i have lots of parking for my car...and very near golf course for my stress reliever... never checked dorms yet... i wish they have condos instead... im too old for a dorm :confused:
  • fatima campus... i was afraid of the mcarthur hwy construction...but i like the school's very good passing rate in board exams... i wonder if they can also teach me how to pass usmle steps 1 to 4:D ... and hey they have clerkship in brooklyn...that means i can continue partying in nyc again after just three years:thumbup:
  • st lukes... has a great hospital...perhaps great minds too:rolleyes:
  • up manila... still the greatest! but too tight competition. i wonder how my sister made it there. im so jealous:barf: imagine my savings if i only pay 20k php ughh freaking unfair... die now die! :laugh:
  • feu... seems to have intellectual ambience and comfortable space. love ittttt! :love:
  • uerm... i am afraid to cross that highway!:eek: please give me a pink bridge over there... no parking also... but why am i so inlove with uerm :biglove:
  • ust... awesome school! reminds me a lot of my parents who both went to ust... but i dont feel like wearing a skirt...:smuggrin: is that okay???
...will take nmat this dec 9 then off to usa again
for family xmas... i miss usa but i have things to do here in phils

also, i am dual citizen... fil-am
i can go to school as filipino student doctor right?

my world is so aseptic... i barely know immigration stuff.

...NMAT and what medical school to consider in the PI, looks like y'all neglected to mention or discuss the fundamental barrier towards succeeding at a PI medical school:rolleyes:...and that is this:

even though i have also heard that college courses are taught in ENGLISH...it doesn't mean professors alike will not sometimes be speaking in TAGLISH:eek:! this may be innocent enough on the surface and not one to worry or be concerened about, but when TAGLISH occassionally slips the tongue during one or more medical courses at your PI school of choice, in reality...it may be a difference in an A in the class or a C. For example, had an unfortunate experience of taking a microbiology class at a local university taught by a Chinese professor:oops:! even though his english were spoken well (for the most part), there would be a few times where he'd slip and say a thought or word or two in chinese during lecture:laugh:. it's really funny to hear...and it may be okay to raise hand and say, uh..prof...can you repeat that again, please...in ENGLISH? but when you are in the PI..where YOU are the foreigner...and the professor decides to speak TAGLISH during or after a lecture, i don't think you will have the pleasure of asking the professor to repeat what s/he had said in ENGLISH:laugh:. think you'll only insult the professor and maybe look at you as if "...you're asking me to speak english in PI...? how about you learn to speak TAGALOG...fil-am boy!" y'all get my drift? the test or exam comes, some ideas are lost because prof. decides to make it tougher on med student and speak taglish, AND next thing you know....you aren't doing so well in your med courses anymore:eek:! now what?

so i guess first off...how many of y'all on here interested studying medicine in the PI actually know tagalog or taglish? i ask because i've met pinoys or pinays whose only been here a couple of years...and already saying they no longer understand or speak tagalog:laugh:!

so just thought i'd throw in this other factor or barrier to a good education in the PI for those that can't speak TAGALOG:laugh:

I would say it would be foolish to go to a med school in the Philippines without AT LEAST understanding many Tagalog words. Even my middle school nieces can understand Tagalog well. Or at least have an open-mind to learn the native language of your parents. That's my beef with many Filipino parents in the US. They don't expose their children to the Filipino language and then wonder how will they survive in the school setting.

...NMAT and what medical school to consider in the PI, looks like y'all neglected to mention or discuss the fundamental barrier towards succeeding at a PI medical school:rolleyes:...and that is this:

even though i have also heard that college courses are taught in ENGLISH...it doesn't mean professors alike will not sometimes be speaking in TAGLISH:eek:! this may be innocent enough on the surface and not one to worry or be concerened about, but when TAGLISH occassionally slips the tongue during one or more medical courses at your PI school of choice, in reality...it may be a difference in an A in the class or a C. For example, had an unfortunate experience of taking a microbiology class at a local university taught by a Chinese professor:oops:! even though his english were spoken well (for the most part), there would be a few times where he'd slip and say a thought or word or two in chinese during lecture:laugh:. it's really funny to hear...and it may be okay to raise hand and say, uh..prof...can you repeat that again, please...in ENGLISH? but when you are in the PI..where YOU are the foreigner...and the professor decides to speak TAGLISH during or after a lecture, i don't think you will have the pleasure of asking the professor to repeat what s/he had said in ENGLISH:laugh:. think you'll only insult the professor and maybe look at you as if "...you're asking me to speak english in PI...? how about you learn to speak TAGALOG...fil-am boy!" y'all get my drift? the test or exam comes, some ideas are lost because prof. decides to make it tougher on med student and speak taglish, AND next thing you know....you aren't doing so well in your med courses anymore:eek:! now what?

so i guess first off...how many of y'all on here interested studying medicine in the PI actually know tagalog or taglish? i ask because i've met pinoys or pinays whose only been here a couple of years...and already saying they no longer understand or speak tagalog:laugh:!

so just thought i'd throw in this other factor or barrier to a good education in the PI for those that can't speak TAGALOG:laugh:

I was born in Manila, but raised here in the States since I was three years old. However, my parents made it very clear to me at a young age that it was important to at least UNDERSTAND Tagalog. I'm really thankful that I understand it fluently, especially now that med school in PI is definitely in consideration. I want to be able to not just interact with my Fil-Am classmates, but also my local classmates, as well as those in the community (ie. in mission trips to provinces, if given the opportunity).

Ang dami ko pang kailangan matuto tungkol sa Tagalog, pero at least nakakaintindi naman ako at marunong ako mag basa ng Tagalog, kahit ang salita ko ay hindi pa masyadong magaling. It's totally in the works, though. I'm open to learning. Thank goodness for TFC at my parents' house.

I would say it would be foolish to go to a med school in the Philippines without AT LEAST understanding many Tagalog words. Even my middle school nieces can understand Tagalog well. Or at least have an open-mind to learn the native language of your parents. That's my beef with many Filipino parents in the US. They don't expose their children to the Filipino language and then wonder how will they survive in the school setting.

I agree. This is interesting because I just assumed that everyone that's applying to the PI for med school already at least understands kunti ng Tagalog. Do you know of any Fil-Ams personally that have gone to med school in PI that didn't know a lick of Tagalog at all?