Fil-Ams, Medical School, Philippines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm taking the NMAT in LA. The only school I'm applying to actually is UERM. My cousin goes there. She's a second year now. She knows your cousin Sherwin actually. He was in her class last year. Anyways, do you have Myspace? haha. I've asked almost everyone on here if they have myspace. So, far everyone does. That's funny. Well, goodluck to you as well on the NMAT. Where are you applying??

Maricar :luck:

November 3rd is coming, Maricar!

:luck::rolleyes: and hopefully :thumbup:
Kat :)

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. This is interesting because I just assumed that everyone that's applying to the PI for med school already at least understands kunti ng Tagalog. Do you know of any Fil-Ams personally that have gone to med school in PI that didn't know a lick of Tagalog at all?

none. all fil-ams from our batch had to understand & speak in filipino (especially during clerkship) when they face their patients. you can't assume that all patients understand english & they will have a hard time talking w/ u in english.

none. all fil-ams from our batch had to understand & speak in filipino (especially during clerkship) when they face their patients. you can't assume that all patients understand english & they will have a hard time talking w/ u in english.

I remember I had two classmates that probably knew ten Filipino words between them. One of my friends even had a list of questions in Filipino-English which was used during interviews, I thought it was a pretty good list and it worked for some people.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. This is interesting because I just assumed that everyone that's applying to the PI for med school already at least understands kunti ng Tagalog. Do you know of any Fil-Ams personally that have gone to med school in PI that didn't know a lick of Tagalog at all?

i have 2 cousins, one's a 4th year med at uerm and the other one- a sophomore ddidn't know athing about tagalog. it wasn't a big deal until they had to go to small towns and public hospitals where they have to interview their patients. its a disadvantage for them coz they can't communicate with the patients so other students from their groups benefit from it.

but in class setting, fil-ams actually have a big advantage coz lectures are thought in english and participation is in english as well. so a lot of local students fail to interact with their professors in class setting whereas its the otherway around for my cousins.

bit anyway, they're taking tagalog lessons now! and getting pretty well at it!

Of course one can't assume that all patients understand English in the Philippines. I did a mission trip there, and some of them didn't know English at all, so ang communication ko sa kanila.. it was in Tagalog (the best way I knew how because like i said before, medyo in need of work pa ang Tagalog ko, pero at least naiintindi ko).

I was saying that I assumed that all Fil-Ams entering med school in the PI knew at least a little bit of Tagalog kasi di ba it would make transitioning there a lot easier than not knowing? It would be pretty ballsy to go to the PI without knowing some tagalog words.
l

i have 2 cousins, one's a 4th year med at uerm and the other one- a sophomore ddidn't know athing about tagalog. it wasn't a big deal until they had to go to small towns and public hospitals where they have to interview their patients. its a disadvantage for them coz they can't communicate with the patients so other students from their groups benefit from it.

but in class setting, fil-ams actually have a big advantage coz lectures are thought in english and participation is in english as well. so a lot of local students fail to interact with their professors in class setting whereas its the otherway around for my cousins.

bit anyway, they're taking tagalog lessons now! and getting pretty well at it!

lol, good for them! that's awesome that they are at least open to learning the language. actually, i know one of them, sherwin... i asked (maybe annoyed? haha) him with questions about med school in the PI and his experiences at UERM. pretty cool dude. He made it seem that at UERM... Fil-Ams fit right in, but of course there are obstacles and some obvious nuissances to "get over" when you actually live there because living in the PI is waaay different from vacationing in the PI.

goodluck, Jeremy!
Kat :luck::thumbup::rolleyes:

lol, good for them! that's awesome that they are at least open to learning the language. actually, i know one of them, sherwin... i asked (maybe annoyed? haha) him with questions about med school in the PI and his experiences at UERM. pretty cool dude. He made it seem that at UERM... Fil-Ams fit right in, but of course there are obstacles and some obvious nuissances to "get over" when you actually live there because living in the PI is waaay different from vacationing in the PI.

goodluck, Jeremy!
Kat :luck::thumbup::rolleyes:

Learning Tagalog is a necessity in the Philippines. I have done a medical mission trip to the Philippines as a UCLA medical student and it was so helpful, especially in the rural areas and barrios. Also, it will be a huge asset if you guys decide to apply for residency positions in the US, especially in states where there are a lot of Pilipinos, i.e. California, Texas and New Jersey.

...care to explain what UST meant with this requirement:

"US MCAT scores in lieu of UST Entrance Examination..." but that the MCAT "...must not have been taken EARLIER than two (2) years prior to application".:confused:.

I understand the first part, but the second part where MCAT scores MUST NOT have been taken EARLIER than two years prior to application...DOES NOT MAKE SENSE:eek:. is this a typographical error on their website...because i've always thought the more recent the test was taken, the better. for example, in the U.S., MCAT scores longer than 3 to five years need to be RETAKEN.:laugh:

and one more thing: i hear application into UST medical school/program requires application to UST school FIRST. still i hear others say that application to UST medical school is all that is required.

for a school as old and distinguished as they get in PI...they sure know how to confuse outsiders:laugh:

thanks a bunch...

^ where did you get/read that info?

...care to explain what UST meant with this requirement:

"US MCAT scores in lieu of UST Entrance Examination..." but that the MCAT "...must not have been taken EARLIER than two (2) years prior to application".:confused:.

I understand the first part, but the second part where MCAT scores MUST NOT have been taken EARLIER than two years prior to application...DOES NOT MAKE SENSE:eek:. is this a typographical error on their website...because i've always thought the more recent the test was taken, the better. for example, in the U.S., MCAT scores longer than 3 to five years need to be RETAKEN.:laugh:

and one more thing: i hear application into UST medical school/program requires application to UST school FIRST. still i hear others say that application to UST medical school is all that is required.

for a school as old and distinguished as they get in PI...they sure know how to confuse outsiders:laugh:

thanks a bunch...

It sounds like you can have taken the MCAT instead of the UST Entrance Exam for admission to UST. In terms of the whole two years stuff, I guess it means that at the time of application, your MCAT scores can not be more than two years old. For example, you apply to UST in 2007, your MCAT scores can not be from before 2005 (MCAT scores from 2004 or earlier are not allowed). Does that make sense now?:idea:

If you do get dual citizenship (I just got mine this year!), I do NOT believe it excludes you from paying the foreign fee of $10,000.00. I think that if they know (and they should because you will be sending your college transcripts to them) that you went to college/obtained your bachelor's degree outside of the Philippines, and even though you are a new dual citizen, you would still pay the fee nonetheless.

Hi! I was considering UST, St. Luke's and UERM. I wasn't aware that there was a foreign fee. $10k is a lot of money. I was considering to get dual citizenship just to elude that foreign fee but if I would still be required to pay I guess I shouldn't even bother. I thought that the schools only ask for that fee if one is a foreign national on a student visa, but if one has dual citizenship wouldn't they be then considered a "filipino" student? So I'm a little confused .... :confused:

Hi! I was considering UST, St. Luke's and UERM. I wasn't aware that there was a foreign fee. $10k is a lot of money. I was considering to get dual citizenship just to elude that foreign fee but if I would still be required to pay I guess I shouldn't even bother. I thought that the schools only ask for that fee if one is a foreign national on a student visa, but if one has dual citizenship wouldn't they be then considered a "filipino" student? So I'm a little confused .... :confused:

Read my old posts. I think they will clear up a lot of your confusion. Just remember, every school makes its own rules.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi there! I was reading through this stream and I thought of answering your inquiry. I'm a St. Luke's graduate, board certified here in the Philippines and will be taking the USMLE exams in the coming months. I have Fil-Am batchmates and an Amerasian classmate who became my friend as well. He's Korean but was raised in Guam. He doesn 't know a thread of Tagalog, the only Filipino dialect he's versed at is Ilonggo because he happened to work for an NGO assigned in Iloilo before he decided to take up Medicine. My Fil-Am friends know a little Tagalog which was helpful but all our lectures were done in English. And if ever, there would be lecturers who are going to say a little tagalog, it would be a joke... to lighten up the classroom mood. :) And FYI,there are Indonesian residents in the hospital who get their training there and just learned and studied Tagalog in the process of their training. And most of my senior residents during my clerkship training are consultants now in their home country. What I'm trying to say is that it wouldn't really be a big obstacle to know only a little Tagalog or none at all in the beginning. Anyway, journey through med school would be paralleled into learning a new language. Just believe in what you can do and anything is possible. :) And most of all... don't forget to have a life...

I wish everyone here good luck in all your planned endeavors.

:)

The key thing is open-mindedness to learn a different language. Tagalog is not really that hard as it is phonetic and if you've taken some Spanish, some words are similar or the same. Plus you can list some common medical interview questions (that's what i do with my Hispanic patients in the US) and answers and interact with the locals as much as you can.

The $10K is a one-time fee (not a yearly foreign fee). Think of it like a donation money:laugh: Most schools will not exempt you from this fee but I heard some school will exempt you if you are a dual citizen (like DLSU).
Nobody has challenged this in court but even if it has merit, given the slowness of the Phil. judicial system it's not worth it.

Hello everyone! I stumbled upon this forum just now. I’m also interested to study medicine in the Philippines. I’m applying to UST, St Luke’s and De La Salle Health Sci.

However, I won’t be taking the NMAT yet as I’m still a junior in college.

Does anyone here know that stats of successful applicants? It’s probably at least a 3.0 GPA and a 24 MCAT, although these might be lower. I’ve heard that some schools require both the MCAT and NMAT from non-resident applicants.
I think you'll be ok in terms of admission to these schools (as long as you don't have more than 8 failures based on the UST reqts.)
Just bear in mind that surviving med school in the Philippines is a different matter as many Fil-Ams find it very hard to adjust to the rigor (well, most med schools are hard all over the world- that's just the nature of the beast).

It sounds like you can have taken the MCAT instead of the UST Entrance Exam for admission to UST. In terms of the whole two years stuff, I guess it means that at the time of application, your MCAT scores can not be more than two years old. For example, you apply to UST in 2007, your MCAT scores can not be from before 2005 (MCAT scores from 2004 or earlier are not allowed). Does that make sense now?:idea:

yeah! you're right:D! looked at "...EARLIER..." in a different context! hahaha....:laugh:! good luck to those of you taking NMAT next month! oooo...heard it's hellah hard because of perception tests, calculus in the math section, etc.!:smuggrin:

goodluck! gooodluck! gooooodluck! i wish you all the BEST:):thumbup:

yeah! you're right:D! looked at "...EARLIER..." in a different context! hahaha....:laugh:! good luck to those of you taking NMAT next month! oooo...heard it's hellah hard because of perception tests, calculus in the math section, etc.!:smuggrin:

goodluck! gooodluck! gooooodluck! i wish you all the BEST:):thumbup:

CALCULUS?????

Have they changed the test? The NMAT doesn't have any math higher than the first semester of Algebra I which is an 8th grade course in the US, and a high school course in the Philippines.

I'm leaving tomorrow for the Philippines to check out UERMA for myself, as well as for vacation, the food, and shopping!! I've really been debating Philippine vs US medical schools...so I think this trip will be the decision maker. Its hard to really understand how life and med school is over there from from just reading through forums from my computer in the US.

Goodluck studying everyone! :) See you in November, Maricar & Kat...and everyone else taking the NMAT in Los Angeles...one month away!

CALCULUS?????

Have they changed the test? The NMAT doesn't have any math higher than the first semester of Algebra I which is an 8th grade course in the US, and a high school course in the Philippines.

hahaha...yea! calculus! at least this is what i came across while studying for the nmat using PI nmat study guide book.

I'm leaving tomorrow for the Philippines to check out UERMA for myself, as well as for vacation, the food, and shopping!! I've really been debating Philippine vs US medical schools...so I think this trip will be the decision maker. Its hard to really understand how life and med school is over there from from just reading through forums from my computer in the US.

Goodluck studying everyone! :) See you in November, Maricar & Kat...and everyone else taking the NMAT in Los Angeles...one month away!

...AFTER the conscious insert of medical school comparison between PI and the US in one of "DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES" dialogue with a physician that turned out to be from HARVARD?

obviously...it was an attempt to send the message nationwide that IMG (especially those contemplating on getting their medical degree in the PI) are not taken seriously in the US. and that if anything, is considered the butt-end of a joke, and definitely not worthy to practice and treat american patients.

any thoughts on this matter? and does this seemingly innocent dialogue in "desperate housewives" reak with negative SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES toward the mass, as well as IMG and PI grad doctors regarding their appropriate place when treating patients or are filipinos nationwide WRONG for overreacting regarding this seemingly innocent clip of PI grad doctor(s) place in american culture?

so...PI med schools (still) or have we gotten the message that US med schools is the best way to go if there is plans to succeed in practicing medicine in this country?

...AFTER the conscious insert of medical school comparison between PI and the US in one of "DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES" dialogue with a physician that turned out to be from HARVARD?

obviously...it was an attempt to send the message nationwide that IMG (especially those contemplating on getting their medical degree in the PI) are not taken seriously in the US. and that if anything, is considered the butt-end of a joke, and definitely not worthy to practice and treat american patients.

any thoughts on this matter? and does this seemingly innocent dialogue in "desperate housewives" reak with negative SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES toward the mass, as well as IMG and PI grad doctors regarding their appropriate place when treating patients or are filipinos nationwide WRONG for overreacting regarding this seemingly innocent clip of PI grad doctor(s) place in american culture?

so...PI med schools (still) or have we gotten the message that US med schools is the best way to go if there is plans to succeed in practicing medicine in this country?

Regardless of where you choose to complete medical school, medicine is a very difficult journey. Don't let silly comments get to you. You will be a good doctor no matter where you go to school. As a Fil-AM in a US medical school, I work with doctors/residents who are trained in the US and some trained in the Philippines. All of them, regardless of where they went to medical school, have been excellent teachers and clinicians. Listening to your patients and helping them with their health needs is what matters....not where your MD degree is from. Work hard, learn the practice of medicine and be open to new things in life........enough of this Desparate Housewives controversy......there are more important things to worry about in life.

hahaha...yea! calculus! at least this is what i came across while studying for the nmat using PI nmat study guide book.

Sounds like you are going astray. Calculus won't help you with the NMAT or in medical school. Read my older posts for tips on the NMAT and get back on track.

hey guys,

i'm so glad that i found this thread! i've been lurking in quite a few FMG/IMG forums in the past few months trying to get and idea of how the application process works in the PI.

i'm not actually a fil-am per se, but am a US graduate so i'm sorta in the same boat as u guys. i finished my first year of college in the PI (in UST) before my parents decided to send me and my siblings to the US (we're permanent residents, not citizens). Anyway, coming from UST, i am very much leaning towards this school for my MD degree. however, i would also like to do my residencies in the US so i'm also seriously considering UERMM. i know that this is a good school and the possibility of doing your residencies in the US is a BIG plus! as of this date, i have completed and sent out my applications for UST and UP. my parents, who live in the PI took care of that for me. yay for that! how bout u guys? i'm also studying for the NMAT as well. i'm taking it in chicago in oct 27. anybody else taking it on the same day?

i'm

I also have a dual citizenship....i jst showed my filipino passport to the registrar, amd didnt have to pay that fee. (just make sure that when you fill up the forms, u remember to put filipino as citizen). Just be ready to show proof of citizenship like birth certificate (if you were born here) or marriage contract of parents.
Im not sure about immigrants.......but i do recall that some of my classmates that registered as US imigrants had to pay that fee (or discounted fee)...

Good luck in your med sch application.

...NMAT and what medical school to consider in the PI, looks like y'all neglected to mention or discuss the fundamental barrier towards succeeding at a PI medical school:rolleyes:...and that is this:

even though i have also heard that college courses are taught in ENGLISH...it doesn't mean professors alike will not sometimes be speaking in TAGLISH:eek:! this may be innocent enough on the surface and not one to worry or be concerened about, but when TAGLISH occassionally slips the tongue during one or more medical courses at your PI school of choice, in reality...it may be a difference in an A in the class or a C. For example, had an unfortunate experience of taking a microbiology class at a local university taught by a Chinese professor:oops:! even though his english were spoken well (for the most part), there would be a few times where he'd slip and say a thought or word or two in chinese during lecture:laugh:. it's really funny to hear...and it may be okay to raise hand and say, uh..prof...can you repeat that again, please...in ENGLISH? but when you are in the PI..where YOU are the foreigner...and the professor decides to speak TAGLISH during or after a lecture, i don't think you will have the pleasure of asking the professor to repeat what s/he had said in ENGLISH:laugh:. think you'll only insult the professor and maybe look at you as if "...you're asking me to speak english in PI...? how about you learn to speak TAGALOG...fil-am boy!" y'all get my drift? the test or exam comes, some ideas are lost because prof. decides to make it tougher on med student and speak taglish, AND next thing you know....you aren't doing so well in your med courses anymore:eek:! now what?

so i guess first off...how many of y'all on here interested studying medicine in the PI actually know tagalog or taglish? i ask because i've met pinoys or pinays whose only been here a couple of years...and already saying they no longer understand or speak tagalog:laugh:!

so just thought i'd throw in this other factor or barrier to a good education in the PI for those that can't speak TAGALOG:laugh:

my 2 cents worth....

med school lecturers/doctors arent as inconsiderate as you are making them out to be.....at least not at UERM.
Before a lecture begins, they try to acknowledge the presence of the "foreigners", and apologize in advance if they have to speak in tagalog to drive home a point. The medium of instruction is mostly english.

my 2 cents worth....

med school lecturers/doctors arent as inconsiderate as you are making them out to be.....at least not at UERM.
Before a lecture begins, they try to acknowledge the presence of the "foreigners", and apologize in advance if they have to speak in tagalog to drive home a point. The medium of instruction is mostly english.

good for them.

based on my experience, our lecturers ask if there are any fil-ams present. 1 lecturer pointed out that she isn't sorry for speaking filipino during her lecture for a simple reason - you're a filipino. she doesn't have to apologize coz she's in the Philippines (& so are you). at least understand the language. you'll be encountering patients who cannot speak fluent english. they won't & can't recognize immediately if you're fil-am or not (since they're more concerned w/ their complaint). some will say their apologies, others will feel uncomfortable or unease w/ you (since they don't know how to answer you directly). even if you haven't started your medical schooling, start understanding & speaking filipino (even if there are flaws). plus, your parents & relatives will be proud of you.

The various arguments and opinions about the use of English by Filipino medical schools are out of date and are in urgent need of updating.

The use of English is not solely a FilAm concern. Of course, all foreign students have language concerns.

And currently there are extensive plans underway to flood Filipino medical schools with Indian students. These students will not speak Tagalog, and probably won't want to learn much. They have their own ideas of what they expect from a medical school and how they want to spend their time.

People may try to make the argument that since they came here they should make the effort. But that is a specious one.

The fact is that Filipino medical schools here advertise to their foreign students (and the incoming flood of Indidans) that English is the medium.

Truth in advertising is needed. Also needed is the need for the various schools to clarify their language policies and to enforce those policies among their faculty.

It makes little sense for a school to say English is the medium, and to have faculty who blatantly flout those policies. Such faculty are out of touch with the goals of their institutions.

And all of this is without concerning the needs of foreign students in the provinces who are often told that they should learn the local dialect.

I think language of instruction will depend on the institution. It's also a matter of supply and demand. Institutions like UP and UST have more qualified applicants than they can admit so they can teach in whatever language they want. The schools that have all these MBBS programs (money making machine) will be more accommodating so they will try to please the CUSTOMERS (e.g. UERM, Fatima, etc.).

hello there! everyone here are at one time or another talking about the NMAT. what about the ENTRANCE EXAM to the school of choice? aren't any of you concerened about the entrance exam to UST (for example)?

as far as i remember, there's no entrance exam for UST FMS.

I went to visit ust and uerm last year. they told me as long as one is a graduate of a foreign university, one has to pay the donation fee. regardless of citizenship.

The various arguments and opinions about the use of English by Filipino medical schools are out of date and are in urgent need of updating.

The use of English is not solely a FilAm concern. Of course, all foreign students have language concerns.

And currently there are extensive plans underway to flood Filipino medical schools with Indian students. These students will not speak Tagalog, and probably won't want to learn much. They have their own ideas of what they expect from a medical school and how they want to spend their time.

People may try to make the argument that since they came here they should make the effort. But that is a specious one.

The fact is that Filipino medical schools here advertise to their foreign students (and the incoming flood of Indidans) that English is the medium.

Truth in advertising is needed. Also needed is the need for the various schools to clarify their language policies and to enforce those policies among their faculty.

It makes little sense for a school to say English is the medium, and to have faculty who blatantly flout those policies. Such faculty are out of touch with the goals of their institutions.

And all of this is without concerning the needs of foreign students in the provinces who are often told that they should learn the local dialect.

Indian students going to the Philippines? Are there not enough schools in India to supplement these students? Just curious..:confused:

Indian students going to the Philippines? Are there not enough schools in India to supplement these students? Just curious..:confused:

Many Indian students in the Philippines say that getting into an Indian med school is highly competitive and quite expensive, despite any ideas that non-Indians might have that it is an affordable destination.

hey...what do they mean that i need to send transcripts thru the philippine embassy here in the states? I talked to my Registrar at Michigan State University, and they said...."huh?" ok, ok...might have been a dumb freshman with $8/hr job on the other line...and was going to have someone call me back...but, hey...no call back.

What did ya'll do for Step 1. of the application process? I just assume have MSU send directly to UERM with the friggin' wax stamp seal, right?

oh...got a cousin who just graduated from there...Mike Buffard...anyone know him?

hey...what do they mean that i need to send transcripts thru the philippine embassy here in the states? I talked to my Registrar at Michigan State University, and they said...."huh?" ok, ok...might have been a dumb freshman with $8/hr job on the other line...and was going to have someone call me back...but, hey...no call back.

What did ya'll do for Step 1. of the application process? I just assume have MSU send directly to UERM with the friggin' wax stamp seal, right?

oh...got a cousin who just graduated from there...Mike Buffard...anyone know him?

hey kardiomegly!

i just did that whole transcript thing recently so hopefully i can help you with that. first, u have to ask you college (Michigan State U) to provide you a copy of your official transcript. i know that when you request for an official transcript, schools usually ask you to which institution/school you want them to send your transcripts to. in this case however, you would be asking them to send you (student) an "officially sealed transcript", which means that they'll be sending you an official transcript that'll be coming in in a sealed envelope that only your designated school can open. remember, the recipient is going to be you, but you're forwarding it to UERMMMC. they had this option in my school and the only info i needed to provide them was the institution's name. then, when your transcripts come in the mail, bring it to a notary public to get it notarized. DO NOT open your transcripts before you get to the notary public. this almost caused me a minor problem even when i just opened the envelope in front of him! so explain your situation (that you're applying to a PI med school and need to get your transcript notarized etc) and let them open it for you if they want. after getting it notarized, bring it to the county clerk. this office is usually inside the city hall. you can google it up. then after getting your transcripts notarized and authenticated by the county clerk, bring it to the philippine general consulate and they'll know what to do.

hope this helps! gud luck!

oh btw, there's a fee for the county clerk and the phil gen. consulate.

ICFUTUREMD-- That's awesome...cool, thanks for the info.

Ok...look, if ya'll are like me...born and raised in the states...you know the hotties are nuthin' like over here.

med school is gonna be tough...tryin' ta' get a little sumpin'-sumpin over there is gonna be tougher!

I know...i was there 4 years ago...and for a 30 year old sport a chub at the young & soft thang behind the counter of the local "Jolly--sumthin'", twas tough ta' get even a friggin' kiss from some of these chicks.

Don't tell me I either gotta go pay for it, or go rub one off every time I peek out the dorm room window!

Ya'll with me...we need a sexual revolution...an insurrection. Ya know it feels good ta' want some, get some, done some--then go back to ta' studyin'

Comments fellas---gotta' help a brutha' out!

Ok...look, if ya'll are like me...born and raised in the states...you know the hotties are nuthin' like over here.

med school is gonna be tough...tryin' ta' get a little sumpin'-sumpin over there is gonna be tougher!

I know...i was there 4 years ago...and for a 30 year old sport a chub at the young & soft thang behind the counter of the local "Jolly--sumthin'", twas tough ta' get even a friggin' kiss from some of these chicks.

Don't tell me I either gotta go pay for it, or go rub one off every time I peek out the dorm room window!

Ya'll with me...we need a sexual revolution...an insurrection. Ya know it feels good ta' want some, get some, done some--then go back to ta' studyin'

this HAS gotta be a joke, right? i am NOT reading this post this minute, am i:eek:? help a brutha out? i cannot believe one even has the nerve to write this post on here! you're a 30 year old planning on studyng medicine in the PI, and thinking about what color panty yer YOUNG, cute, sexy...beautiful and smart and educated and possibly future doctor lady classmate is wearing? hahahhahahaa....this has got to be the funniest post i've read on here so far! hahahahahaaaa...this is my comment! hahaha...looks like someone might have a manyakis for a classmate! and to be honest...no i'm definitely NOT with you on this manyakis! please leave the PI ladies alone while yer there studying! hope you won't be spreading yer seeds around PI while trying to get a med degree! com'on brutha...please keep your manyakis self this side of the continent before heading for the PI:smuggrin:

just a question...does anyone know when the deadline is for ust for sy 2008? when you submit your applications...should all the papers be included as well? my police clearance and letters of recommendation are still in the works. thanks!!!! hope to hear from someone very soon!!!! :oops:

it's better if you ask the admissions committee directly for this answer. based on my experience (& my sister's), it was sometime december when the committee set the deadline for all requirements. they release the eligible applicants between feb-march. :)

hi guys! just want to know what you guys think about being an IMG? i am still doing my pre-med here at University of Alberta, Canada and I am considering doing my med proper in the philippines. Cause apparently, here in Canada it is really competitive to get into med school eventhough i have good GPA and volunteer works. I still have 2 yrs left of pre-med, but i wanna have a pretty good idea of where I wanna go and what route to take after i graduate. I'd definitely love to experience studying at PI again but i know that it would be really hard to get a residency spot hir in canada since I wanna do my practice hir. So do u guys have any insights about this? Greatly appreciate it!

Also, would it be easier if I do my residency in the US and then go back to Canada? and can i do my residency in the US eventhough i am canadian citizen?

Ok..so it's been a while since I've been on here. But, damn! how did we go from talking about key issues about going to med school in the PI to this nonsense about chasing girls? I totally agree with you aesculapius1974! What's up with this guy?

As for deadlines for applications. I know UERM's deadline is January 11,2008. I have not submitted anything yet and will be going to the consulate to get my transcripts and police clearance authenticated this friday! Goodluck to everyone applying for the next school year! Hope to see you all there, except the manyakis guy!!! haha. :luck:

dude... u have got to be kidding! don't know if i should feel sorry or laugh...

this HAS gotta be a joke, right? i am NOT reading this post this minute, am i:eek:? help a brutha out? i cannot believe one even has the nerve to write this post on here! you're a 30 year old planning on studyng medicine in the PI, and thinking about what color panty yer YOUNG, cute, sexy...beautiful and smart and educated and possibly future doctor lady classmate is wearing? hahahhahahaa....this has got to be the funniest post i've read on here so far! hahahahahaaaa...this is my comment! hahaha...looks like someone might have a manyakis for a classmate! and to be honest...no i'm definitely NOT with you on this manyakis! please leave the PI ladies alone while yer there studying! hope you won't be spreading yer seeds around PI while trying to get a med degree! com'on brutha...please keep your manyakis self this side of the continent before heading for the PI:smuggrin:

seriously! haha

Hey guys,

Just got my NMAT score. So after doing all the consulate/embassy authentications, my app will be ready.

Question: Has anyone of you already turned in your complete application(s)?

I was wondering how you all had it delivered to the actual schools themselves. For example, did you certify mail it there or FedEx it or send it to a relative? I just hope mine won't get lost in the mail since it is coming all the way from Florida.

Thanks,
Kat

Hey guys,

Just got my NMAT score. So after doing all the consulate/embassy authentications, my app will be ready.

Question: Has anyone of you already turned in your complete application(s)?

I was wondering how you all had it delivered to the actual schools themselves. For example, did you certify mail it there or FedEx it or send it to a relative? I just hope mine won't get lost in the mail since it is coming all the way from Florida.

Thanks,
Kat

Mine is complete and sent. I fedexed it to my sister who is currently studying in UERMMC. Cost about $85 got there in 3 days. I made sure I insured it cause i had a $200 cashiers check for the application fee.

The registrar in UERM told mentioned that i shold get ahold of one of the US contact people for an interview. Just spoke to one of them today and mailed him a copy of my application. Hopefully i'll know if i'm in soon.

good luck kat!

Mine is complete and sent. I fedexed it to my sister who is currently studying in UERMMC. Cost about $85 got there in 3 days. I made sure I insured it cause i had a $200 cashiers check for the application fee.

The registrar in UERM told mentioned that i shold get ahold of one of the US contact people for an interview. Just spoke to one of them today and mailed him a copy of my application. Hopefully i'll know if i'm in soon.

good luck kat!

I will be sending my application in to UERMMC soon, as well. So, you suggest it would be better to send it to a relative in the PI and then have them hand deliver it to the school itself? What kind of cashiers check did you get? It says international money order...is that available at the bank? Also, who did you contact from the list of interviewers? Dr. Neda Reyes was a classmate and close friend of my dad's. Plus she's my doctor. haha. I'll contact her I guess. Hopefully we'll be classmates this coming year!

Kat...let me know when you turn yours in k? Can't wait to see you at school!!! yay! =)