Fil-Ams, Medical School, Philippines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Damn...what a ripoff! Schools are hurtin' for cash these days...Hope the money goes to a good cause...hell we don't even get toilet paper, toilet seats, or soap! But, it's nice to know that the owner of our school has this really cool collection of new cars and parks out front for all of us to see how well he's doing.

Members don't see this ad.

Damn...what a ripoff! Schools are hurtin' for cash these days...Hope the money goes to a good cause...hell we don't even get toilet paper, toilet seats, or soap! But, it's nice to know that the owner of our school has this really cool collection of new cars and parks out front for all of us to see how well he's doing.

lol thankfully i dont have to worry about toilet paper or toilet seats (although there have been a few close calls where i had to "run" home).

but yeah it seems that they might be hard up for cash, ive heard enrollment has gone way up and theres more foreign students being accepted. Us fil-ams here at UST like to joke that our foreign fees pay for the fireworks shows at every UST celebration, and the fancy lights/decorations and fireworks for Christmas/Paskuhan. Everytime a fireworks shot goes up, "hey theres a couple hundred bucks" haha.

Hi kardiomegaly! I am a new RN, just graduated this year. Worked for a year as a LPN on top of that. I still have a long way to go in order to be a real good/experienced nurse. I am still planning to have two to three more years of nursing experience before I go back home and study med. I appreciate your response :) So do you personally go to the US to apply for residencies/to find a match?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just came upon this website while trying to get some info for my niece. I am a UP med grad doing family practice in one of the HMOs in central california. I did my residency in New York more than 10 years ago.

My niece is almost done with her pre-med studies and is highly considering med school in the Philippines. During my time, most foreign med students went to either UE or FEU. can anyone give me some current stats?

my email add is [email protected]

California-recognized programs:

Angeles University Foundation College of Medicine
Bicol Christian College of Medicine
Cebu Doctors College of Medicine
Cebu Institute of Medicine
Davao Medical School Foundation
Divine Word University College of Medicine - closed
De La Salle University College of Medicine
Far Eastern University, Dr. Nicanor Reyes Medical Foundation
Fatima College of Medicine
Iloilo Doctors College of Medicine
Lyceum Northwestern, Dr. Francisco Q. Duque Medical Foundation
Manila Central University College of Medicine
Mindanao State University College of Medicine
Philippine Muslim-Christian College of Medicine Foundation
Remedios T. Romualdez Medical Foundation
Southwestern University, Matias H. Aznar Memorial College of Medicine
St. Louis University College of Medicine
University of Perpetual Help System College of Medicine
University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Medicine and Surgery
University of the City of Manila College of Medicine
University of the East, Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center
University of the Philippines College of Medicine

University of the Visayas, Gullas College of Medicine
Virgen Milagrosa Educational Institution
West Visayas State College School of Medicine
William H. Quasha Memorial St. Luke's College of Medicine
Xavier University Dr. Jose P. Rizal College of Medicine

Not yet California recognized/New:

Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health
Ateneo de Zamboanga University School of Medicine
Baguio Central University
Cagayan State University
Central Philippine University College of Medicine
Emilio Aguinaldo College School of Medicine
San Beda Medical School
Silliman University Medical School
University of Saint La Salle

what an excellent, comprehensive list. Good job. I take it that the bolded schools are the ones most considered by foreigners.

I'd like to add my opinion (and it's just that, my opinion, based on my knowledge and experience, which is of course, limited)

For local PI citizens:
UP > UST > Ateneo > La Salle > FEU > UE > Fatima, Cebu schools, the rest..
(based on board pass rates and local reputation - which is a manifestation of many factors)

For foreign applicants:
UE > Fatima > FEU > UST, Cebu schools (CDU, CIM), La Salle > rest..
(I ranked this according to administrative support for career goals (i.e. MLE tests) for foreign students)

-I attend Fatima COM, I have friends who are foreign students from all of the schools I explicitly mentioned and ranked. I obviously can't speak for the "rest", meaning any of those schools not included could possibly be better than any of the ones I mentioned, but that's why these rankings are just one opinion ^_^

If you're interested and want me to elaborate on any part of what I think, feel free to PM me or ask here! Cheers.

what an excellent, comprehensive list. Good job. I take it that the bolded schools are the ones most considered by foreigners.

I'd like to add my opinion (and it's just that, my opinion, based on my knowledge and experience, which is of course, limited)

For local PI citizens:
(based on board pass rates and local reputation - which is a manifestation of many factors)

For foreign applicants:
UE > Fatima > FEU > UST, Cebu schools (CDU, CIM), La Salle > rest..
(I ranked this according to administrative support for career goals (i.e. MLE tests) for foreign students)

-I attend Fatima COM, I have friends who are foreign students from all of the schools I explicitly mentioned and ranked. I obviously can't speak for the "rest", meaning any of those schools not included could possibly be better than any of the ones I mentioned, but that's why these rankings are just one opinion ^_^

If you're interested and want me to elaborate on any part of what I think, feel free to PM me or ask here! Cheers.

I went to UE when I first applied back in... October? And they told me it wasnt PBL anymore, it was integrative, meaning it was like 1/2 PBL, 1/2 Trad. Now I was wondering, do you have any mates over there that could vouch for not attending class to study on their own or is that against the school policy?

Also, what makes the UE administration better than fatima in terms of USMLE goals? If you know or know of anyone that could answer these, that would be great. Thanks!

I went to UE when I first applied back in... October? And they told me it wasnt PBL anymore, it was integrative, meaning it was like 1/2 PBL, 1/2 Trad. Now I was wondering, do you have any mates over there that could vouch for not attending class to study on their own or is that against the school policy?

Also, what makes the UE administration better than fatima in terms of USMLE goals? If you know or know of anyone that could answer these, that would be great. Thanks!

Yes, the schools here that tried PBL didn't totally scrap it, they utilize some sort of pseudo PBL system. UP and UST also do this, as well as Fatima with our group clinical case studies.

And yes, I have friends from UE that can vouch for not attending class lol. One in particular that scored in the 99th percentile for the step. The thing is.. attendance IS "required".. a certain percentage of your grade (small percentage) is from attendance.. but these are mostly "bonus points".. like getting 5% extra for having perfect attendance (I know, like grade school right).. however; it is not really the attendance that will make the grade suffer, it is the fact that (all) med schools here give exams called "shiftings", or "platings" almost everyday. Think of these small exams as equivalent to an undergraduate midterm each.. these comprise up to 15% of your grade sometimes collectively.. for ppl that don't attend class, they miss out on points from attendance, exams, or both. They still pass the classes, since midterms (we call "prelims", are like Super exams with hundreds of questions) and finals comprise the largest chunk of the overall grade.

So yes, not attending class has its risks and consequences.. I will rephrase what I say, and I believe this goes for what others on here say.. to be: "didn't attend class much of the time.. to study MLE material".. but the reality: much of what's covered on the MLE, class covers as well, just that the class covers above and beyond the scope of the test.. I venture to say that studying parallel topics for the MLE alone is enough to pass the classes sometimes. So far, it's happened for me. Just make sure to at least skim through the PPT's given in class (sometimes, could be up to around 120 slides)

For the UE and Fatima administration: I ranked UE higher for the sole fact that it has a better local reputation.. really, the two schools objectively, are equal to me. Fatima has really good teachers also, and both have "satisfactory" facilities.. UE is in a better area, but FCOM has a separate International class that starts in Sept. whereas UE students are intermixed with their local students. UE has more Fil-ams (probably coz of the Mezza apartments ^_^) whereas Fatima has a good mix everyone (Thailand, UK, Taiwan, Nepal, etc..). I personally chose UE, am now in Fatima for a a misunderstanding about admissions timelines, and have no real regrets (except that I don't live in that cool Messa Apt complex)

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hi guys!

Sorry to bump in like this, but I'm looking for some information about Virgen Milagrosa University in the Philippines. Anyone have any idea about the nature of the MD program there? I'm considering this because I'm a Sri Lankan and am very much budget-constrained (I will actually need financial assistance from relatives if I go trough with this) and VMUF seems like the cheapest one....but I don't want to get a really poor medical education so any information would be helpful...

This is a really long thread by the way...nice discussion :)

this is pretty much the same in Cebu...I can offer answers to questions regarding going to school in cebu...i'm headed back next week to start Internship back home in the US...so, got lots of info and insight to offer. after being here for 4 years. CAN'T WAIT TO BE BACK HOME!

For local PI citizens:

oops, my bad, this ranking shouldn't have "Ateneo" in it since it's a new school and no boards yet.. and I FEU > La Salle for boards..

and congrats Kardiomegly! ^_^

oops, my bad, this ranking shouldn't have "Ateneo" in it since it's a new school and no boards yet.. and I FEU > La Salle for boards..

and congrats Kardiomegly! ^_^

when it comes to the board passing rates, its UP > UST > PLM (but i dont know if they accept foreign applicants) > UERM > St. Lukes
you can check it out here: http://prcboardresult.blogspot.com/2011/08/top-performaning-schools-and.html

based on reputation, UP and UST top the list. UERM and FEU have good reputations as well. DLSU, not so much. its a top prestigious school, but not for medicine.

i dont know much about med schools outside metro manila

Reactions: 1 user
Oh okay, I stand corrected again ^_^.. btw what's the Verdict MDstud2012?!! PM me!

Hello again, there is no thread for this, but I think this is relevant within here:

In the Philippines, there is the Asian Medical Students' Association of the Philippines (AMSA-Phil) and it is under the Asian Medical Students' Association (AMSA) which is affiliated with the International Federation of Medical Students' Association (IFMSA).. which the American Medical Students' Association (AMSA-US) is also affiliated with.

The benefits of being involved with groups like these are limited only by how much you want to be involved. For example, there is a standing committee on research exchange (SCORE) through the IFMSA that AMSA-Asia members and AMSA-US members (as well as all other affiliated members) can have research and data exchanges.

With this said, it's good to know about the associated schools in PI, and these are:

La Salle
UPCM
West Visayas State University COM
Fatima COM
UST-FMS
UERMMMCi

Schools that are working on AMSA affiliation:

FEU-NRMF
St. Luke's COM

Hello again, there is no thread for this, but I think this is relevant within here:

In the Philippines, there is the Asian Medical Students' Association of the Philippines (AMSA-Phil) and it is under the Asian Medical Students' Association (AMSA) which is affiliated with the International Federation of Medical Students' Association (IFMSA).. which the American Medical Students' Association (AMSA-US) is also affiliated with.

The benefits of being involved with groups like these are limited only by how much you want to be involved. For example, there is a standing committee on research exchange (SCORE) through the IFMSA that AMSA-Asia members and AMSA-US members (as well as all other affiliated members) can have research and data exchanges.

With this said, it's good to know about the associated schools in PI, and these are:

La Salle
UPCM
West Visayas State University COM
Fatima COM
UST-FMS
UERMMMCi

Schools that are working on AMSA affiliation:

FEU-NRMF
St. Luke's COM

Cool beans. Thanks for the update. What other activities are there other than the research opportunities with AMSA?

By the way, how's the school search going? Did you find one yet?

Hey BlazingAzn, the SCORE is just one of many aspects within these orgs. There are also standing committees on Public Health, Medical Education, Peace and Human Rights and more..

But really, it's all the activities/forums/conferences that are invaluable. For example, I've been in PI for 6 months now, and so far I've attended:

-"Think Global" 3 day conference at UP Manila - about global health awareness and policies, included a trip to the WHO headquarters of Manila.
-Conference on Health, Food Security and Biodiversity by the Philippine Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (PSBMB)
-"Silver spoon" AMSA-UST dinner conference
-"Fatima Med Night 2012" annual med night event
-"USMLE experiences: Opportunities abroad" held by AMSA-UST
upcoming:
-National Medical Student Conference (NMSC) at UP Manila, week long conference themed "Medicine in Transit"..
-Asian Medical Student Conference (AMSC) later this year..
-Some kind of IFMSA conference in Dubai later this year (August?)

btw.. other member nations under AMSA include Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc... and there are exchanges ongoing throughout the year.. Also, there are 92 member nations under the IFMSA, and fun fact: It's the Largest student body of any kind in the world.

.. as for my school search, I already finished a semester at the Fatima College of Medicine (OLFU), however; due to my heavy interest in research/supplementing my studies in medicine with more, I am changing institutions. I should say, Fatima is a great medical education institution and the only reason I'm leaving is because the Dean turned down my request to simultaneously pursue an M.Sc. in Molecular Medicine from St. Luke's along with my MD studies in Fatima.

Although I am changing schools, I am actively involved with OLFU's AMSA chapter called "PMSA- Philippine Medical Students' Association". I will always consider the Fatima COM part of my medical alma mater lol. Anyways.. I highly encourage participating in one of these orgs as a supplement to your studies in medicine, no matter where you go to school =)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ahh, thanks Imesina. That's all great to hear. Looking at the ASMPH thread it looks like you've got your main round of apps in and are making the final decision. Don't forget that UERM is one of the top research bodies in the PI. Either way, best of luck in your endeavors and whatever choice you make will be the best choice for you. Maybe we might meet eachother at one of the ANSAP meetings in the future! :)

Yea! definitely let me know, I'll show you around / introduce you to many ppl (med students).. PM me anytime.

.. as for my school search, I already finished a semester at the Fatima College of Medicine (OLFU), however; due to my heavy interest in research/supplementing my studies in medicine with more, I am changing institutions. I should say, Fatima is a great medical education institution and the only reason I'm leaving is because the Dean turned down my request to simultaneously pursue an M.Sc. in Molecular Medicine from St. Luke's along with my MD studies in Fatima.

guy, finish your MD first. i doubt your MSc from the PI will make you look better on your US residency apps. you can always do a research masters back in the US once you're done.

Yes you're right.. But actually I wasn't really thinking about how it could help with residency per se.. but I am very interested in Anti-aging Medicine and science. The M.Sc I was looking into had focuses in regenerative medicine and genomics. I want to do research on targeting genes encoding proteins that fight free radicals and other factors that contribute to the aging process..

I've est. a connection to an A.aging physician scientist working at St. Luke's here in PI, and I'm pretty sure it's a path I'd like to pursue.. but yes, it's more practical to wait.. but I actually don't want to be dealing with any academic research once I graduate and hit residency, so I'd much rather do it along with med school. As for my interest, it was an Anti-aging/ regenerative medicine seminar at University of California Irvine (UCI) that got me interested in the first place ^_^

guy, finish your MD first. i doubt your MSc from the PI will make you look better on your US residency apps. you can always do a research masters back in the US once you're done.

Hey Dr. Myhandsarecold..

Heeding your advice.. spoke with some doctors from ASMPH and Medical City and decided that it's more practical/rewarding to pursue a M.Sc after school, and in the states where I could potentially get more merit to my research =)