Fil-ams -- USMLE Steps, ERAS, rotations, app cycle, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoshuaChoi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To Fil-ams, please help....

- did you have to graduate with MD first (ie, degree conferred with the diploma) before you applied to ERAS ? or can you apply while in your final year ?
- did any of you have to do 5th pathway ?
- your USMLE Step 1 written after 2nd year in PI ? after 3rd year ? or after grad ? Step 2 CK/CS after 4th year ?
- did you have one year delay due to application cycle --> eg. graduate in April in PI, then apply to ERAS in September same year and match the following year ? (unlike US grads who apply in final year to ERAS).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I second these questions.

However, I will try to answer this to the best of my abilities. I need to know everything about what I'm getting into. Since the application process for Residencies are timeline-delicate. Please correct me if I am wrong. I too have questions I would like to ask

- did you have to graduate with MD first (ie, degree conferred with the diploma) before you applied to ERAS ? or can you apply while in your final year ?

Answer - No you need not to. I believe you can apply during your final year however, in order to apply for ERAS you must have taken Both Step 1 and Step 2 ck + cs in order to qualify. Furthermore, you have to have your ECFMG identification number, which you should already have. It's a number given to you to take your USMLE.

- did any of you have to do 5th pathway ?

Answer - As of 2009, this program will be discontinued.

your USMLE Step 1 written after 2nd year in PI ? after 3rd year ? or after grad ? Step 2 CK/CS after 4th year ?

Answer - US Medical students usually take Step 1 midway of their medical school career, ie after their second year of medical school since its the most convenient time for them considering that what is covered in the exam have already been covered. "The Basic Sciences" as they call it. Step two is usually taken and is actually required before they graduate. The time you decide to take these exams is all up to you. You are responsible for preparing yourself for these on top of whatever work loads you are given in your medical school. (IMGs)

id you have one year delay due to application cycle --> eg. graduate in April in PI, then apply to ERAS in September same year and match the following year ? (unlike US grads who apply in final year to ERAS).

Answer - This is where my interest lies now actually. After researching several information sources, this is where I am stuck at and the best possible information would be for someone who was an IMG and is now a resident in the US. I believe that the process is somewhat different whether you are an US citizen IMG or not.

I read up somemore regarding this question and I think I have the answer.

Once you graduate from IMS (Intl Med. School), and since we're talkign about the Philippines, you have to begin several lenghty application process. First, you have to make sure you become ECFMG certified. So, capitalize the time you are still in the Philippines to annoy the living hell out of the people at your school to make sure everything is sent to ECFMG, transcripts diploma etc. There is alist of requirements that you have to make sure you HAVE (copies of) as well as have made your school send all the necessary paper works. The last thing you need is to leave the Philippines and be required to go back.

I'm not exactly sure but i read that one should apply to ERAS as soon as possible and go into The MATCH, deadline I read about is september 1 of that same year. Therefore, the following year around MARCH, you will contacted and weeded out by the hospitals of your choice.

I'm not sure when a IMG in a Phil school graduates, but if its April, then that would mean there would be a long one year delay of waiting which I speak for myself, I DONT want to do. I hate waiting..

So this questions is an addition to the question asked above. We know that medical students in the US appyl for ERAS during their final year during the clinical rotation period. This is very convenient considering while finishing the clinicals, when it comes to march, they begin receiving "replieS" from hospitals they applied to during the Match. Convenient enough, there will be no waiting period.

Now to THOSE who are now currently Residents that are IMGs, is it possible for us IMG to apply residency, ERAS, MATCH etc during our final year right before we graduate so avoid the long period of waiting? Could someone pleasse validate this.

Thanks

And hopely I could be of some help to those wondering about this.

More INFO - YOU can apply for ERAS and begin your interview while you are in your final year assuming you have accomplished the Step 1 and 2 of the USMLE. However the downside to this is that, if you do get interviews and hopely everyone applying will it will be a complete hassle because sometimes schedule interviews requires you to go back to the US. Unless you're doing your final year of clinical rotations here in the US, I guess it may not be wise to be begin your process of application during your final year though.

Last edited:
Search for the name of Doctan in this website and you can see his story about taking USMLE and immediately getting into residency.It's not an easy task given the different exam system in the Philippines and the lack of free time. For few excellent students it is doable.