filipino med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this is the main reason why i did not even consider applying in fatima. tsk tsk tsk :(

Members don't see this ad.

There are a number of Fil-ams who get accepted in UP. They fair pretty well. I have not heard of any foreign applicant rejected because he/she can't speak the language. But since training mainly involves charity/indigent patients, I highly recommend that you try to learn the language. You don't necessarily have to be fluent, but know keywords.

UP is the best place to train if you want to see rare/full-blown cases. Tuition, if I'm not mistaken is the MOST reasonable of the top tier med schools in the country.

Sure, PM me. I'm glad to be of help.

after talking so much about filipino med schools, I would like to ask can a foreigner, who graduated from a filipino med school, registered as a Doctor in philippines?
By the way, referring back to what Spartan Doc said, normally a filipino med student will start his/her medical study at the age of 20. However, I am currently 27 years old, am I too old to talk about being a doctor ?

Members don't see this ad :)
To be registered in the Philippines as a doctor, you must do an additional year of post graduate internship after you finish medical school. So you will have to stay 1 extra year. And you will have to pass the boards in the Philippines. It is a four day exam (spread over 2 consecutive weekends). And as far as I know, as long as you can do all of this you can be licensed there, regardless of whether you are a citizen there or not.

As far as your age, you are not too old. I have heard that medical schools there are less likely to accept med students that are older than 35 though. If being a doctor is really what you want then go for it. Just realize that if you start now, by the time you finish school you will be 31. Now if you want to do residency, it will take an additional year to apply and take exams. Then if you do a 3 year residency, which is almost necessary, you will be about 35 when you finish. This is applicable if you do residency in the US or in the Philippines. If this does not bother you, then go for it.

i know at UERM there is a age cut-off to enter UERM at 35 y.o.

to be honest, many of the fil-ams and foreigners are older than the "local" filipino classmates. many have earned master's degrees or worked for a few years after college, and then decided to go to med school. so when they entered, they were in their late 20's.

so don't let it be an obstacle, if medicine is what you want.

good luck!

Hey, what a cool forum! It's cool to see that there is a place for all of us to talk about our experiences in the Philippines. Well, I'm also a Fil-Am UERM graduate class of 2003. I'm in my 8th month of Internal Medicine residency in Louisiana so I'll give my 2 cents on the topic.
As long as you put in the hard work you will become a physician and obtain a residency like everyone else. However, be prepared to deal with alot of "old world" mentalities back in the PI. You will meet alot of people and physicians with very close minded attitudes. Th Philippine medical educational system is very old fashioned. I have seen many differences as a med student in the Philippines compared to being a first year resident here in the U.S. As a med student in the PI, you will be forced to do menial jobs with sometimes minimal teaching in the clinics. Yes, you will learn to insert NGT's, insert IV lines, suture wounds, clean wounds, insert foley catheters, etc., etc. These jobs are nurse's duties here in the U.S.A. As a med student there, you will work 34 hour days and be tired most of the time. The responsibility of a med student in the U.S. is simply to learn and help the 1st year resident. I have observed that U.S. med students finishing their 3rd year have very strong backgrounds in basic sciences and evidence based medicine. I have to admit I was not as strong as they were in the academic aspect of medicine when I was at that level. The work hours I have experienced as a resident of course do not compare to my 34 hour days at UERM. In that aspect, I am grateful to the PI for giving me that kind of indurance. I can only hope that the Philippine medical educational system will begin to change with the modern era of medicne.

this is a follow up to residenttobe's post about getting into UP (PGH).

it is not easy for fil-ams or for foreign students in general to get into UP. the reason being that the tuition fees are highly subsidized, the UP program is an investment that the Philippines government is making in the health care system of the country. so why would they train someone who doesn't intend to stay in the PI after graduation. sure there have been a few foreign students but they are the exception rather than the rule. during the 8 years i spent in the philippines i heard of only 2 foreign students who were accepted to the UP program - a filam and a taiwanese student.

QUOTE=WaZoBia]this is a follow up to residenttobe's post about getting into UP (PGH).

it is not easy for fil-ams or for foreign students in general to get into UP. the reason being that the tuition fees are highly subsidized, the UP program is an investment that the Philippines government is making in the health care system of the country. so why would they train someone who doesn't intend to stay in the PI after graduation. sure there have been a few foreign students but they are the exception rather than the rule. during the 8 years i spent in the philippines i heard of only 2 foreign students who were accepted to the UP program - a filam and a taiwanese student.[/QUOTE]

In general, it is NOT easy to get into UP. And that goes for ALL students regardless of nationality or race. There were 2 fil-ams in my class and I'm quite sure there are 2-3 fil-ams in each of the batches after mine.

eiyo im new here ;)
and i really need a favor from you guys...anyone!!!! :)

jz wanna know the date of the upcoming NMAT and how i could register

also wanna ask what subjects i have to study
i wont have time for a review class cz im completing my internship

i have no idea when the NMAT is gna be :oops: :oops: :oops:

pls pls pls

Hi ivyleague22ny,

I graduated from college in 2001 and currently I am working as a firefighter paramedic. My main intention was to enter med school after college, but like most young students, I diverted my attention in other things that hurt my grades and my MCAT scores. I love my current job, but I would love to do more with the medical field. I would consider myself as an above average student in college but I could have done better if I had focused more during that time. I'm now 27 and considering the Philippines as an alternative route back to med school. Should I go back to college and start over? Should I not even think about it? Is it too late for me? Thank you for any info that you can share... I'm new to this forum so please excuse me in advance if I make any mistakes.

Bryan http://forums.studentdoctor.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=710439#

ivyleague22ny said:
I did medical missions in the Philppines and I can
definitely attest to the difficulties of the adjusting
to the weather, the pollution, the blatant political corruption,
the culture difference, and the "sir/maam/Dr./Dra." complex
with your superiors.

I was just wondering after gaining a US college education, why do Americans choose to endure 4 years of that by attending med school in the Philippines, when you are NOT guaranteed a residency in the US?

While I assume the tuition is cheaper, I was suprised
when I heard that you must pay an upfront cash "donation"
of "$6000 -15000." If it's a donation, why is it required?

Why not pursue a D.O. degree or go to St. George's
or Ross in the Carribean, where you have a better chance of matching and you don't have to come up with that ridiculous
amount of a "donation"?

To those Fil-Am pre-meds still pondering on where to go after college with a not so great undergrad record, let me just assure you that it's not the end of the world and you can still go to med school in the US (I was able to and would be happy to help you, too, just let me know)

:)

:) :)
:confused: :confused: :confused: :idea:

Hey Thugqueen, the NMAT will be on Oct. 23,2004... and you should register now because the deadline for the application will be on Sept. 10, 2004.... I am taking the NMAT in New York coz I live in Wash. DC . I dont know if you're in the west coast or something...but anyway, I've contacted Mr. Ramos and sent a $375 check to register for the test, then he sent me the application packet together with the review materials. You can call him at (212)254-0904. Hope this helps! and let me know if you're taking the test in NY.....coz I might see u there!! Goodluck..let me know if everything worked out for you!

thugqueen said:
eiyo im new here ;)

pls pls pls

Hey thugqueen! one more thing ...the application deadline on sept. 10 will basically need a 2x2 pic and a signature from your school head..and some info. like your address, school and some questionnaires etc.

thugqueen said:
eiyo im new here ;)

pls pls pls

pchcup: thanks soooo mch!!!
if you didnt post that reply i wouldnt know about that freakin deadline :oops:
owe ya one!!

gta start reading...
let ya know how it goes

Members don't see this ad :)
asspwet said:
On July 21, 1993, the PRC Board of Medicine issued a resolution charging the Fatima graduates with immorality, gross misconduct, fraud and deceit for allegedly cheating in the Biochemistry and Obstetrics and Gynecology exams, the "most difficult subjects."

Eleven Fatima graduates scored 100 percent in Bio-Chem and 10 got 100 percent in OB-Gyne, another 11 got 99 percent in Bio-Chem and 21 scored 99 percent OB-Gyne, the SC said.

de ja vu!!! something like this happened in 1995 i believe

CONGRATS to UERM. i heard they were #1 this year. my alma mater (St Luke's) had a student take the #3 spot overall.

have you guys considered the caribbean?

this comment comes as a means to just say

you're awesome! I am thankful for all of your posts and appreciate the fact that you go out of your way to answer questions. keep up the good work. im sure you'll be famous one day...

...oh this is for Spartan Doc....U RULE!

hey!
can anyone help me 'bout good medical schools in the philippines? i'm in senior year of premed now (BSN) and i'm planning to enter med school in about 2 years (still have to take the nursing board exams and complete some pre-req's).
by the way, i was thinking of UP or UST but only because i haven't heard a lot about St. Luke's and other schools. i think that i have a slim chance of getting into UP (unless i make it cum laude. :D) :D

hope someone can answer my questions. it's kinda weird asking this question because it's like nursing schools are sprouting up everywhere in the philippines and 36 med schools are planning to close down. and here i am, wanting to go to med school (still, despite the lure of riches).
and, yea, i'm from the philippines.
are there other people out there like me? :oops:
(whoever started the filipino thread is one great guy/gal! thanks!)

First off, Juxtaposition- thank you for your post...

Maia- read through this entire thread, I believe there is already a lot here that should answer your questions. If you still have more specific questions, post em. We will all try to answer... Good luck on your decision.

Hi!
Thanks. I've been reading the thread from the beginning and still haven't finished by the time I posted my previous message :D But thanks for the offer.
BTW, is there someone out there who is an RN or had BSN for premed, plus, had premed in the Philippines? :idea:

Hi Maia,

In some medical schools in the Philippines BSN is not an acceptable premed course, you still need to take one year of zoology subjects etc. to be accepted in medicine proper. You need to verify on this perhaps there might have some changes in preparatoy courses.

Hello ALL!

This goes out to all of the FilAms who took the NMAT:

HOw long did you spend studying for the NMAT? I haven't started and plan to take it on OCT 30th... :confused:

I studied a grand total of 2 days before the NMAT. And this really involved just kind of looking over some old MCAT material. I also went through the test questions in the book. Everything is really, really basic, the math especially, like the SAT but easier. The bio section was reasonable. And the correction of grammar, and spatial awareness was unnecessary. So in hindsight I probably studied 2 days too long for the NMAT.
And believe me I am no genius... good luck, you will do fine. Most schools use it as a hoop to jump through and don't really care about the score too much.
I had classmates that scored 60-70 percentile then did really well in medical school. I had classmates that scored 80-90 percentile and did not do as well. So it does not predict medical school performance one bit.

Spartan Doc said:
I studied a grand total of 2 days before the NMAT. And this really involved just kind of looking over some old MCAT material. I also went through the test questions in the book. Everything is really, really basic, the math especially, like the SAT but easier. The bio section was reasonable. And the correction of grammar, and spatial awareness was unnecessary. So in hindsight I probably studied 2 days too long for the NMAT.
And believe me I am no genius... good luck, you will do fine. Most schools use it as a hoop to jump through and don't really care about the score too much.
I had classmates that scored 60-70 percentile then did really well in medical school. I had classmates that scored 80-90 percentile and did not do as well. So it does not predict medical school performance one bit.

Thanks Spartan Doc!

I will do some studying still...considering i spent 375 bux to take it!!!! I'm takin it in LA. Fortunately I live only 2 hours away. I know a person flying in from Hawaii.

Hello All,

Is this thread still active?

I'm from TX and starting at Fatima in July. I'll be moving to the Phil. in June and was wondering where to get a furnished, comfortable apt. (or nice hotel suite) in the Phil. for 3 yrs. max. I'd like to live near (walking distance) Fatima but don't want to live on campus b/c my fiance will be coming along for my 3-yr. - liftime ride.

Any suggestions or contacts would be appreciated!

Cheers!

TX MD2b

TX,
Try contacting Fatima, they should be able to get you in touch with other Fil-ams there in the school that can recommend some places close by. Why are you planning on spending 3 years there? While Fatima does have 4th year clerkship rotations in the US, there are a few that are mandatory to do in the Philippines during your 4th year. At least thats how it was at FEU

Spartan Doc said:
TX,
While Fatima does have 4th year clerkship rotations in the US, there are a few that are mandatory to do in the Philippines during your 4th year. At least thats how it was at FEU

Really? As I understood it (and now I believe ... misunderstood) I thought I could do my 4th year in NY or Chicago b/c Fatima is affiliated w/ hospitals there. Or is the clerkship just 3 mo. rotations, then I return to the Phil.?

I will contact students at Fatima as I'm still not completely familiar w/ the 4th yr. plan.

Thanks for your reply Spartan Doc....I'm a new member, but I've been reading your replies to other posts. You've been so helpful and others are grateful for your advice as well...it's most appreciated, considering your busy schedule.

I just sent a msg. to one of the Fatima grads (on this forum) about where to live and he has already replied ... I'll also ask about the 4th yr. Thanks again!

Stephen Ewen said:
Well, this thread is just great, and I hope to see it grow. My take has always been that the Philippines was the most well-worn way of U.S. students before Caribbean schools became popular, so you are not alone, and that the route is an outstanding overall bargain.
I just want to try to use the answer system

Supreme court rules against
high-scoring medical grads
Posted: 5:31 AM (Manila Time) | Jul. 04, 2004
By Philip C. Tubeza
Inquirer News Service
A correction to this article has been made.

THE SUPREME Court has ruled that 11 graduates of the Fatima College of Medicine cannot take their oaths as physicians after they passed the February 2003 medical board exams with "phenomenal" grades.

The SC Second Division reversed the Court of Appeals decision which affirmed the Manila Regional Trial Court ruling ordering the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) to administer the oath to the graduates.

The SC ruled that the PRC had the authority to refuse the graduates the "privilege" of practicing medicine since they had not "satisfactorily passed" the board exam. The PRC even charged the graduates with "immorality, dishonesty, fraud and deceit" for allegedly cheating in the exams.
Fatima College had 79 graduates who took the 2003 board exams but only 11 of them pursued the case in court after the PRC refused to register them as doctors, court records showed.

On July 21, 1993, the PRC Board of Medicine issued a resolution charging the Fatima graduates with immorality, gross misconduct, fraud and deceit for allegedly cheating in the Biochemistry and Obstetrics and Gynecology exams, the "most difficult subjects."

Eleven Fatima graduates scored 100 percent in Bio-Chem and 10 got 100 percent in OB-Gyne, another 11 got 99 percent in Bio-Chem and 21 scored 99 percent OB-Gyne, the SC said.

It noted that the board noticed that the Fatima graduates got marks of 95 percent or better in both subjects, "and no one got a mark lower than 90 percent."

The PRC sought the help of Father Bienvenido F. Nebres SJ, president of the Ateneo de Manila University and an authority on statistics, to conduct a statistical analysis of the results.

After comparing the scores of Fatima graduates with those of examinees from De La Salle University and Perpetual Help College of Medicine, Nebres reported that the scores of Fatima graduates were "not only incredibly high but unusually clustered close to each other."

I was wondering the choice of medical school that you attend will have a significant impact on your match outcome if you are not an American citizen? (I am a Canadian)

I have missed the registration for the NMAT in Manila on Dec 12. What is the schedule of testing for 2005. Is there a date in the spring? Does anybody know a website making a schedule announcement for 2005?

hey! :D
read through the previous posts.
just announcing...
there will be a new med school to be opened at Silliman University this June 2005. Silliman is in Dumaguete (capital of Negros Oriental, Visayas) which is called "the university town". Silliman scores pretty well (top 1-5 in national board exams) in its 3 allied health science courses (nursing, medtech, PT), and graduates are always expected to land somewhere in the top 10. so they thought it natural to have a med school (despite the times). Just wondering if anyone was interested.
I'm a senior nursing student in Silliman and contemplating medschool in 2006 (after finishing prereqs). Proposed tuition too was quite low, compared to big city schools, (considering...)
for more info, Check out their website at www.su.edu.ph ;)

I would be wary of new medical schools, especially if you are thinking of practicing medicine out of the philippines. Make sure they are certified by the World Health Organization and certified by the country you hope to practice in. Just my 2 cents

Spartan Doc said:
I would be wary of new medical schools...
:laugh:
i am too. even if i will graduate from the same university, no way i'm going to a school that isn't tested! (even if they say CHED has given the go signal and they've already trained their consultants for the past 5 years into teaching!) experience is still the best teacher. :luck:
niwez, that's my opinion.

I didn't find that info in the earlier pages, but I did contact CEM in Manila. They say that the normal schedule for the NMAT is the second Sunday in both April and December. While this is their normal schedule they have not officially finalised the 2005 dates. Keep an eye on their website www.cem-inc.org (I think I the website is correct).

Silliman is a really nice school. It would be my first choice. Dumaguete is awesome. But the school needs to get on the IMED listing before I can consider it. I checked their website, but I didn't see an announcement about a med school opening.

here in the philippines, many medical schools are considering closing since most local students prefer going to nursing school. i'm not sure about this but i heard that st. luke's & mcu are about to close. st luke's only have 40+ 1st year students this year. they used to have around 200 1st year enrollees before. same goes with mcu. ateneo dropped their plan to setup their med school. AMA school of medicine (i heard) only had 3 enrollees!!! better confirm this chismis 1st to those schools i meantioned if you plan to enroll there. good luck everyone! merry christmas :D

:p Saipan, this is the SU medschool website:
http://su.edu.ph/sumc/main.htm
:cool: good luck.
i hear they already have prospective students of around 50 from the MedTEch program (amazingly, the enrollment rate of non-Nursing allied health courses is still good ;) ) . They'll probably get more from Nursing too.

Saipan said:
I have missed the registration for the NMAT in Manila on Dec 12. What is the schedule of testing for 2005. Is there a date in the spring? Does anybody know a website making a schedule announcement for 2005?

The NMAT is usually taken in April and December.

hi there! Im a first year nursing student, and I'm wondering if my course will make a good pre-med course. I'm having doubts about it. What subjects will I have to take after i graduate for me to be able to enter med school? I was thinking of shifting to a course which will better prepare me for medicine but people keep on advising me to stick to my course;they say it's a good back-up should i not be able to proceed. But i actually don't wanna be a nurse all my life. I don't know if I could even endure the nursing majors.

what do you say? thanks a lot in advance. :)

this topic has been really interesting. I enjoyed reading the stuff here. I actually couldn't believe some Filams wanted to study med here in the Phils. Makes me somehow proud of my country...ehehee! :laugh:

maia said:
Hi!
BTW, is there someone out there who is an RN or had BSN for premed, plus, had premed in the Philippines? :idea:
me a first year nursing stude who wants to be a doctor. ;)

I truly believe your pre med major itself does not matter, as long as you complete all of the the pre medical pre requisites for science and math classes.

Major in something you like and could see yourself doing in the future. Of the college students that start out wanting to be doctors, only a small minority of them actually make it all the way through. If you major in nursing, graduate, then can't get in or complete medical school, then you are stuck with a job that you hate.

If medicine is your only passion, then major in something that would broaden your scope and views. Major in something different than science, it will make you more well rounded.

For practicality sakes though, in the Philippines, medical technology is the major that will prepare you the best to complete medical school. They take many of the same classes you will see in your first 2 years.

Nursing used to be a better major if you are planning to leave the country. But the US immigration has just slowed down the processing of visas for nurses.

Spartan Doc said:
For practicality sakes though, in the Philippines, medical technology is the major that will prepare you the best to complete medical school. They take many of the same classes you will see in your first 2 years.
yeah, spartandoc, most studes who are serious about med school here take up medical technology. I have a friend who's a med student and he says medtech majors usually excel in class because they have been exposed already to some of the subjects in the first two years of med. :)

Spartan Doc said:
Nursing used to be a better major if you are planning to leave the country. But the US immigration has just slowed down the processing of visas for nurses.
hmm...spartandoc, why did the US immigration slow down the processing of visas? does this translate to a decrease in the demand for nurses in the next few years/months? do you think the time will come when the US will no longer need nurses? :confused: :confused:

actually, I was thinking about what will happen to the thousands of nursing students here in the phils who are aspiring to work abroad if the demand for nurses will significantly decrease. I mean, nursing students are everywhere! and nursing schools are sprouting like mushrooms! and if after graduation, these nurses can't work abroad, I'm sure some (if not, a big portion) won't be contented as nurses in the phils due to the low salary. i think the possibility of being able to work abroad/migrate to other countries after graduation is what attracts people to nursing, and i can't imagine what will happen if that possiblity might become rare in the future, considering that the US is slowing down in the processing of visas.

just what i think... :)

Hey everyone,

I just found out...I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED to the Cebu Institute of Medicine(CIM)!!!! :laugh: I'm going to be a 26 yr. old first year medical student in June. All my friends and family are very excited. But before all this can happen, so much has yet to be done.

This question is especially directed to SpartanDoc because he has the most knowledge about going to medical school in the Philippines. Do you anything about applying for dual citizenship? :confused: My parents were naturalized as U.S. citizens after my brother and I were born so technically that is how my brother obtained dual citizenship when he moved to Cebu. I'm still in the U.S. and I've contacted the Philippine embassy in New York via email so I'm also waiting for a response from them.

If anyone has any information or any experiences regarding dual citizenship that they would like to share, that would be great, THANKS!!!! :D

Congratulations to you !!! Its definitely an exciting time for you. Take some time to relax and spend lots of time with your friends and family because you have begun a long journey that will definitely change the way you think and feel.

I never got to apply for dual citizenship because my parents were both US citizens when I was born. But if you can get it, it will sure make things so much easier as far as your student visa (less hassle every semester)

Here is a link I found that should be very helpful to you:

http://www.gov.ph/faqs/dualcitizenship.asp

Congrats! Cebu is a great school! Study hard and have fun. But take a little extra caution as Cebu is not a very safe place with the Muslim rebels. Some of them still kidnap foreigners for ransom. Chopping people's heads off or burying them alive is also not uncommon there.

way to be informed red pulp!!!

Most of the muslim separtist violence is in Mindanao, an entirely different island than cebu. Your concern is duly noted though

Thanks SpartanDoc for the link, it was very helpful and has definitely put me on the right path.

According to the link, because my parents were both Filipino citizens when I was born, I can be considered as a dual citizen. However, R.A. 9225 does not apply to me.

"RA 9225 does not apply to dual citizens, ie, those who have both Philippine citizenship as well as foreign citizenship not acquired through naturalisation.

A child born of parents who are both Filipino citizens (at the time of birth) in a country that adheres to the jus soli principle (eg, the United States) is a dual citizen. The child, who is a natural-born Filipino because the Philippines adheres to the jus sanginis principle, is also entitled to apply for a US passport.

Jus soli (right of soil) is the legal principle that a person's nationality at birth is determined by the place of birth (ie, the territory of a given state).

Jus sanguinis (right of blood) is the legal principle that, at birth, an individual acquires the nationality of his/her natural parent/s."

But according to the link to the embassy in New York, I have to fill out the forms entitled “Petition for Dual Citizenship and Issuance of Identification Certificate (IC) pursuant to RA 9225”, I think.

I'm sure I'll get this sorted out soon, I'm confident I'm heading in the right direction. Red Pulp, I've been to Cebu many times to know not to travel by myself. I'm also fortunate to have my extended family there with me. :rolleyes: But thank you for your concern. :cool:

Thank you all for the well wishes. :clap:

jetskiters said:
hi there! Im a first year nursing student, and I'm wondering if my course will make a good pre-med course. I'm having doubts about it. What subjects will I have to take after i graduate for me to be able to enter med school?But i actually don't wanna be a nurse all my life. I don't know if I could even endure the nursing majors.

what do you say? thanks a lot in advance. :)

hmmmm...
why do i have this feeling like i am a very old person suddenly?.... :eek:
hi jet! I'll have to say, "yup! am there! finishing it!" I am now in hopefully the last 3 months of BSN!
i had those feelings too jet, in the beginning for awhile (like until 2nd yr...), had a lot, lot of doubts about nursing..even if i did my research (like ask around my aunt's co-PGIs about good premeds, ask doctors) and until 2nd yr.
Nursing majors?
well, what school are you studying in? They're really tough here at Silliman U in Dgte and it is not all fun studying them...until i decided to stop whining. At first, i said, well, just let me get through with BSN and then I'll be happy. Then, i fell in love with the course, and the challenges of NCP making (lots & lots of paperwork) and tracing the pathophysio...and I think I'm not doing too bad...
it will be tough in nursing (but if you want a "real" preparation for medschool whihc is very tough,tough, might as well start early, right?) and there are things, we study that we think we might not need in medschool...But, you will also be exposed to alot of experiences you will have very little in other courses: like, how to PE patients, learn to empathize with them, how to talk to them, give direct care to them..what other course will allow you to be so close to your patients and doctors and still learn other things (arts, philosophy, gender sensitivity)? :cool:
Bottomline, for what it's worth,
I think if you want to be a good medical student, have a good science background (medtech, bio)...
I hope to be a great physician, so I took nursing to prepare me for that... ;)
BTW, based on my interviews with docs who took Nursing as premed, I might take BioChem, TRigonometry and Plant Biology before medschool. Depends on what your undergrad curriculum was. Check out the websites of the schools!

WWJD, right? :)
Hope i was of help! :luck:

hi guys

just took the NMAT last december 12, results are still not out though. JItters man really, it's all in God's hands now. does anybody know when it will be released or mailed?

im 25, finished a B.A. course at U.P. diliman. most of my peers in high school are doctors-to-be already this coming august, yeah including my girlfriend. im left with still a mountain to climb. had no money before so had to work. too bad the tuition fee's higher now since the schools are compensating for the lack of students enrolling. most are into nursing.

I applied for schools already U.P. PGH, and DLSU, planning to take my chances at PLM too, too bad i wasnt able to send my application to U.E. and UST serves me right i procrastinated, next thing i knew it was the deadline already. was wondering if the schools (xcept PGH) are willing to bend their prereq subjects rules like bio units?( i only have 10units bio, 9units math, 10 units chem, 4.5 units physics... i think i still lack a few or more units. i even had classmates in my NMAT review class with no prereq units at all, they finished engineering and computer science for goodness sake!), i hope they do relax the prereqs since they have fewer medicine enrollees. .. geeze man il be 30 when i graduate! :eek:

GOd bless! :thumbup:

maia said:
hmmmm...
why do i have this feeling like i am a very old person suddenly?.... :eek:
hi jet! I'll have to say, "yup! am there! finishing it!" I am now in hopefully the last 3 months of BSN!
i had those feelings too jet, in the beginning for awhile (like until 2nd yr...), had a lot, lot of doubts about nursing..even if i did my research (like ask around my aunt's co-PGIs about good premeds, ask doctors) and until 2nd yr.
Nursing majors?
well, what school are you studying in? They're really tough here at Silliman U in Dgte and it is not all fun studying them...until i decided to stop whining. At first, i said, well, just let me get through with BSN and then I'll be happy. Then, i fell in love with the course, and the challenges of NCP making (lots & lots of paperwork) and tracing the pathophysio...and I think I'm not doing too bad...
it will be tough in nursing (but if you want a "real" preparation for medschool whihc is very tough,tough, might as well start early, right?) and there are things, we study that we think we might not need in medschool...But, you will also be exposed to alot of experiences you will have very little in other courses: like, how to PE patients, learn to empathize with them, how to talk to them, give direct care to them..what other course will allow you to be so close to your patients and doctors and still learn other things (arts, philosophy, gender sensitivity)? :cool:
Bottomline, for what it's worth,
I think if you want to be a good medical student, have a good science background (medtech, bio)...
I hope to be a great physician, so I took nursing to prepare me for that... ;)
BTW, based on my interviews with docs who took Nursing as premed, I might take BioChem, TRigonometry and Plant Biology before medschool. Depends on what your undergrad curriculum was. Check out the websites of the schools!
that's really good to hear. :) i think i might be feeling what you were feeling years ago-->like, doubt in the course, etc.etc. but i hope i'll learn to love it too, and stop whining about it! :laugh:
i'm in USC, not really a med school but i chose it because i ddnt really like the other nursing schools here. based on what i know, I'll be taking trigo, zoology, botany (i think), quali and quanti chemistry and some other stuff before med school.
hey, by the way, i have a clasmate from HS who's a 1st year nursing stude at siliman too! :laugh:
uhm, "ate" maia, do you plan to go to med school after finishing your course? which school do you plan to attend? I think we're pretty much the same--> hard-headed, like what you said in a previos post, because we wanna take up med when thousands are gonna be workin in other countries as nurses, ehehe :laugh: