filipino med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jetskiters said:
do you plan to go to med school after finishing your course? which school do you plan to attend? we wanna take up med when thousands are gonna be workin in other countries as nurses, ehehe :laugh:
:laugh:
yup, I'm planning to go, but still researching on prereqs and when I'll take them because of the Nursing Board reviews and completion of procedures-- and we just learned that the PRC is really putting its foot down :rolleyes: and toughing up on handles in delivery and assists in surgery :smuggrin: :sleep:
:p am taking it one day at a time right now with the sched getting tighter and tighter +pity+
BTw, your clasmate is in SU? Nursing too?
Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

Was wondering if taking the NMAT in April be bad for applications if you plan to enter medschool in June that year? :confused:

maia said:
Hi!

Was wondering if taking the NMAT in April be bad for applications if you plan to enter medschool in June that year? :confused:

Check with the individual school. Most of the big schools have already closed their application process by that time and will not accept the April scores for admission in the same school year. But some of the smaller schools do.

Members don't see this ad :)
maia said:
:laugh:
yup, I'm planning to go, but still researching on prereqs and when I'll take them because of the Nursing Board reviews and completion of procedures-- and we just learned that the PRC is really putting its foot down :rolleyes: and toughing up on handles in delivery and assists in surgery :smuggrin: :sleep:
:p am taking it one day at a time right now with the sched getting tighter and tighter +pity+
BTw, your clasmate is in SU? Nursing too?
Best of luck!
God bless on your way to med school! Yeah, my classmate is in SU, 1st yr nursing stude. ;)

i think DLSU accepts april nmat takers.

jetskiters said:
yeah, spartandoc, most studes who are serious about med school here take up medical technology. I have a friend who's a med student and he says medtech majors usually excel in class because they have been exposed already to some of the subjects in the first two years of med. :)

my sister and I often talked about which is a better premed -- med tech (hers) or bio (mine). Of course, med techs have obvious advantages -- they take more courses in parasitology, some basic pathology, and medical micro. As a matter of fact, Public Health grads (the nearest UP equivalent to med tech) are exempted from taking our parasitology and microbiology subjects -- which takes a big load off your back in the academically most demanding year in med school. They also come in with experience in drawing blood and ABGs -- but this advantage lasts less than a day.

I would then say that bio majors tend to be better prepared for biochemistry and anatomy -- the major stumbling blocks during 1st year (adjustment year), and also in physiology. And you can opt to take micro and paras courses as a security blanket if you want to. And yet i appreciated my premed course best during third year (by then your premed course shouldn't really matter) -- when studying the lengthy Harrison's. This is the time when integrating pathophysio and pharma and all other basic principles come into play. I think the thinking process i developed as a bio major prepared me for this part really well, as at this point you rely heavily on analysis, correlation and formulating logical conclusions. You better be sure about med before signing up for bio though unless you want to end up as a med rep or medical transcriptionist. (no offense -- some of my close buddies are in this field)

Anyway, it's always been a consensus among our class although your premed helps, nothing can really prepare you medschool. It's really a matter of hard you're wiling to work when you're already there, in over your head in study materials and no rest in sight.

hi i was just wondering when the nmat exams are usually held. i graduated from the philippines but am an american citizen and plan on going there for med school. how long does it usually take to apply to the med schools? should i take the nmat first then apply or the other way around? are there any student loans that i can apply for, because so far the only college that i think that stafford loans will approve for is the cebu medical college...

Hi, I am sorry I forgot the ID of the fatima grad, but would you please tell me how can I contact Jose Ramos? Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! This is completely unrelated to the topic at hand, but I was so shocked to see a thread regarding Filipino med schools. (I guess I never bothered to scroll down to the international threads!) I've enjoyed reading your posts and learning about the process of pursuing medicine here and internationally. I think it's great! I will be starting med school at UC San Francisco in the fall. Good luck to everyone! :)

HI all of you :) ! this is my first time posting a reply here but i have read almost all of the threads. :thumbup:

I am a junior FILAM med student going onto clerkship this April ;) . I attend UST med school and in a 100%PBL medical curriculum. My question is regarding on how to go about reviewing for the USMLE step 1 effeciently, effectively, and not being overkill. I have tons of books suggested by people here and the First AID but i dont know if those will be suffice as review materials for IMGs. I know for the majority of US students those are plenty. HOwever, since we are IMGs we might be weak in the basics :confused: :scared: , many graduates opt for the more intensive review under Kaplan. Is signing for Kaplan put one at a greater advantage as opposed to someone who did not :confused: ?

I notice that if you sign up for the Kaplan program they give you lecture notes (or review notes). Do you think that these might be comprehensive enough and i would not need other things beside FA? What do you guys think? Also, is there a difference between the actual live lectures (US) and taped lectures (PHIL) of Kaplan? furthermore, is Kaplan home study note kits ($450) the same as the other kaplan's review programs? Lastly, is it feasable to review and take your step 1 during my clerkship years so to possibly be able to reduce the time needed to complete the requirements for ECFMG certificate after graduation and be able to participate in the "MATCH" that year? I know clerkship here is really a form of slavery and exhaustive. I am afraid i might not be able to have enough quality review time if i were to do it and possibly suffer from failing or worse, a low score! :eek:

I would appreciate greatly any comments. I specially would like to hear from SPARTANDOC (YOU ARE VERY INFORMATIVE AND HELPFUL!). :) :D

Thank you all. Good luck and God bless all of us? :luck:

First off, congratulation on making it to clerkship, it is quite an accomplishment.
If you can afford to pay for a review course (ie Kaplan), then I would recommend one. While the Philippine schools do give you enough basics to succeed anywhere in the world, the Philippine style of testing does not prepare you to pass the USMLE. And the way they summarize the material, makes it easier to digest and apply to USMLE style questions. For step 1, I used Kaplan materials, First aid, then q bank (which is not included in a kaplan review), I also used some NMS questions and some Body review systems questions. I did lots and lots of questions. Because I feel I needed to practice thinking through and analyzing questions.
If you cannot afford the review itself, many students sell their books. These are pretty helpful in their own right, and can be bought at a lower price. Now I did live lectures for step 1, and did video lectures for step 2.
Live versus video... it really depends on how you learn best. While I did find there was a little more yield from attending the lecture, it ran 6-8 weeks I believe and is pretty fast. Benefits, you meet other people going through the same thing and can form a support group to go through the process with. You are actually at the lecture and for the dynamic lectures, things stick better. Cons... some people end up socializing too much, (i did at times) and bad lecturers just end up wasting your time. Sometimes you end up sitting there just cuz you want to get your full moneys worth.
Taped lectures.... Benefits, you can go through them at your own speed.... More flexible study sites. when you get sleepy or distracted you can pause and start later. and also depending on where you take it, you can establish a support group as well. Cons... some people don't learn as well watching lectures. Not actually being there, some concepts may not stick as well. You sit in front of a TV all day. Some lectures may be over a year or two old, so it might not be the most current stuff.
I cannot impress enough that you need a good support group. Others just as motivated as you are, that can keep you on schedule, motivated and provide encouragement. Cuz the process is a lonely one. (In fact, you will soon find out if you have not already that medicine itself is pretty lonely; but we will save that for another day.)

Kaplan review in the philippines is a little cheaper in the Philippines than in the US.

Now as far as taking step 1 during clerkship. That really depends on you. The Philippine clerkships are pretty busy and physically demanding. so you may not have the time to put a full study effort into it. If you can do it, then go for it. But the experience in the Philippines especially clerkship is once in a lifetime. You will see things you will never see in the US, do things that even some 1st year residents will not get to do. So you don't necessarily want to miss out on clerkship. But the choice is yours. Set your priorities.

I am no superman, but I graduated in April?? or may, I forget, then took my step 1 in mid to late July, tried to study for a month, but found it hard waiting for my score, so I worked on my application and got it ready to send out. Then studied from late Aug and took my Step 2 early december, and CSA in mid January. Luckily, I was able to match and start in about one calender year from graduation. It was stressful, but worth it. During my clerkship I did read BRS for all of the basics and Blue prints for all of the clinicals. But it was leisurely reading more for understanding.
Hope this helps. and good luck on everything.

I have more questions. When is the deadline to get all your requirements to be able to apply for the Match? Is it Feb or August? I heard that if you apply early you get a better chance on the better residencies. I graduate in April 2006 so that means i should have my Step 1, 2 ck& CS done by Jan/Feb 2007 to Match in August 2007? So this means i dont start resideny until July of 2008? I am confused with the timeline... I really prefer that i only waste one year of waiting and not two years to get into a residency program. Please let me know what you might know about deadlines and best time to take all these tests. Thanks lots!!!

For the most up to date deadlines, go the NRMP website

For you...
You will graduate in april.

applications can usually be submitted end of august early september 2005

Interviews take place november, december 2005, january 2006

Match day will be sometime in march 2006

You will start residency July 1, 2006

by the time you apply you should have at least step 1 completed. CSA you should try to schedule once you get your Step score, because US grads have to take this too. And this test gets filled the fastest. This year if you did not have your CSA (Step 2 Cs is what the call it now) by December 31. Then you were not eligible for the match.

My suggestions if you want to start residency in July 2006

Step 1 July
CSA July-December
Application submitted by last week August
Step 2- November

If you follow a timeline like this, and interview in December, you should have both step 1 and 2 and CS scores in.
It's pretty ambitious though.

What most important are your scores and what residency you want.

primary care like IM, Family, Pediatrics require good scores, but not great, unless you want a big name University program

other specialties will require much higher scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
spartan doc, do u know how it would be possible to get a student loan for studying in the philippines? please reply...thanks

try google search for a Stafford loan and apply for the FAFSA loan.

I never did this my self, because I paid for school on my own, but it is worth a try.

thanks spartan doc... by the way, what do you think of la salle dasma as a med school?
Spartan Doc said:
try google search for a Stafford loan and apply for the FAFSA loan.

I never did this my self, because I paid for school on my own, but it is worth a try.

Can anyone recommend a good school to attend to in Manila if I want to specialize in emergency medicine/surgery? :rolleyes:

Doc Spartan! Thank You So Much For The Infos. You Are One Very Helpful Person. I Am Sure You Are Doing Great On Your Residency! I Wish You Goodluck On Your Career. Thanks Again! :)

I don't know too much about La salle, during clerkship the students I worked with were pretty competent. But I don't know how many come to the US to practice.

Gunther.... what do you mean by school? Do you mean residency training program or an actual medical school? please clarify.

Spartan Doc said:
Gunther.... what do you mean by school? Do you mean residency training program or an actual medical school? please clarify.

A specific medical schoo I can apply to this year that has good residency training program if I were to specialize in emergency med/trauma

Gunther said:
A specific medical schoo I can apply to this year that has good residency training program if I were to specialize in emergency med/trauma

I'm sorry to disappoint you gunther, but there are no good ER residency programs in this country. Specially if you compare with the US programs. I'd say do really good inthe MLE and apply in the US. As for surgery, well, I think there are plenty of good programs here...

as for medical school, there is none that would be specifically good for ER, although I would lean towards the med schools with govt hospital rotations for surgery/trauma -- like UP-PGH and PLM-OM, because here you would be seriously immersed in more procedures as a student than in some residency programs. Again, I'm from PGH so I may be biased. But from what I heard from students and residents in private hospitals, well, lets just say that we get to do a lot more procedures than they ever would. I guess it would help esp in surgery, where learning by doing is the norm.

thanks for the reply dinosaur. It's sad to hear that there is no good ER residency programs in the Philippines.

Hello.
My name is mike and I am starting med school in the phils this June 2005. I just got accepted to UERM and am waiting for UST's decision.
First and foremeost, I would like to give a shout-out to SpartanDoc. You really are quite informative and have helped not only me but the rest of us here in the forum. Thank you. I have been reading these posts, which have really helped me through the tedious admission process. Anyway, SpartanDoc, could you help me out with a question? I was thinking of taking USMLE step one during my second year (during the break). I heard that the USMLEs are offered in the Philippines? Is that true? Can you take it there? and Will I be ok reviewing on my own, without Kaplan's help? I would really appreciate your help on this one. It's just that I want to take Step 1 before my clerkships so that the basic sciences are still fresh as compared to taking Step 1 after graduation. Thanks for the help.

Im new to this forum. There seems to be a lot of helpful information. I went through the process of studying in the Philippines and now am a PGY3 resident in the States. For the above post: you CAN take the USMLE step 1 between your 2nd and 3rd years, but you will need to STUDY STUDY STUDY. Only a few people passed it during their 2nd and 3rd years when I was there and those few went on to do residency in the states upon completion of med school after a one year hiatus for Step 2 and CSA. It is definitely do-able.

Good luck to you!

You can take step 1, 2, and 3 in the philippines, it costs about 100 dollars extra though because it is in a different region.

As far as studying without kaplan, it is possible. It really depends on how you do on standardized tests. if you tend to do well, go for it. You can look at the "A" rated books in first aid for step 1, and use them instead of the kaplan books. But I really like the Kaplans q bank, i found reviewing these questions the most pertinent.

But also look at it this way, your scores on Step 1, and Step 2 determine what residency you will be qualified for and to a lesser extent what fellowship you will be qualified for. Especially for a foreign grad, theses are the only tests you will take that programs can use to compare you to other US grads. So you have to do well. If you can afford it, I would recommend at least kaplan q bank.

The Philippines style of testing DOES NOT prepare you for the US style of testing...

As far as taking it between 2nd and 3rd year.. you can do it. But you really only have 1 1/2 months off between. And usually students are so busy studying for finals, that spending the next 1 1/2 months to study again for a different style of test is very difficult. Keep the goal in mind though and go for it. When you get to that point, then see what you can do. Also realize this, your 3rd year in the philippines is still primarily book work, not clerkship like here in the US. The bulk of your clinical experience comes in your 4th year.

Good luck to you. It will defintely be a wild ride.

Spartan Doc said:
You can take step 1, 2, and 3 in the philippines, it costs about 100 dollars extra though because it is in a different region.

As far as studying without kaplan, it is possible. It really depends on how you do on standardized tests. if you tend to do well, go for it. You can look at the "A" rated books in first aid for step 1, and use them instead of the kaplan books. But I really like the Kaplans q bank, i found reviewing these questions the most pertinent.

But also look at it this way, your scores on Step 1, and Step 2 determine what residency you will be qualified for and to a lesser extent what fellowship you will be qualified for. Especially for a foreign grad, theses are the only tests you will take that programs can use to compare you to other US grads. So you have to do well. If you can afford it, I would recommend at least kaplan q bank.

The Philippines style of testing DOES NOT prepare you for the US style of testing...

As far as taking it between 2nd and 3rd year.. you can do it. But you really only have 1 1/2 months off between. And usually students are so busy studying for finals, that spending the next 1 1/2 months to study again for a different style of test is very difficult. Keep the goal in mind though and go for it. When you get to that point, then see what you can do. Also realize this, your 3rd year in the philippines is still primarily book work, not clerkship like here in the US. The bulk of your clinical experience comes in your 4th year.

Good luck to you. It will defintely be a wild ride.

Spartan doc,
When did you take your USMLE? After you graduated? Does one encounter problems doing that? I mean even with taking KAplan? I would really appreciate your input.Thanks.

Hi, I am student from CA, USA and planning on attending medical school in Philippines. I was just reading this forum messages and was wondering on how come there is very least information regarding DLSU medical school.
Any ideas/experiences from this school especially if you want to come back to USA for clinicals. I haven't heard much about this medical school at all in this forum but I heard a lot good information from students in the Philippines why is that so?
Also another question, what kind of USMLE preparations are provided for students in the Philippines?
I know that all the schools requires donation fee, do you happen to know if this fee is negotiable or not? Thank you very much.

Just a couple of questions: Were you able to obtain clerkship in an ACGME- accredited US hospital in your 4th year(clerkship)? Do you know if it's possible to take the CSA, TOEFL and Step 2 in your 4th year, and then participate in the Match at the same time, or is that total suicide?

I did a clerkship in Internal medicine in New York for 1 month. Some of my classmates, or "batchmates" (what my friends in the Philippines would say) were able to rotate in the US for 2-4 months. We had to apply for these rotations on our own, there was no assistance from FEU, nor did they have any affiliations with programs in the USl.

It is possible to take your Step 2, CSA, and TOEFL in your 4th year, it would require a lot of sacrifices and dedication. It is very difficult to graduate in April then start residency in July of that same year. You would have to take your step 1 after 2nd year, your step 2 during third year, then CSA early in your 4th year. You would then interview in the middle of 4th year. TOEFL doesn't require too much preparation for those educated in the US or canada, so you can take that without studying.

It sounds possible, but the reality is that studying for your exams in the Philippines is different then studying for the USMLE. The material is the same, but the manner they ask questions is very different. Thus I don't think it is realistic to try that. I don't think I could have kept up with the schedule given above. But you are more than welcome to try, you might be able to do it.

What I did was this: I graduated in April, took my TOEFL 1 month after grad, took my step 1, 3 months after grad(August), took step 2, 4 months after that(December) and CSA 1 month after that (january). In between step 1 and step 2 I sent out my applications (took about 1 month to collect letters of rec, finish personal statement, and move back to US). And between CSA and Step 2 I interviewed. I just found out today that I matched. On thursday I will find out where.

The main drawback of this schedule is that I finished my step 2 in early december, late in the application process. this decreased the number of interviews that I was offered.

I hope all of this helps.

There is little info about La Salle because those that have graduated from the school and do practice here in the US are not active on this board.

There are no USMLE prep classes offered in the Philippines by the medical schools, but there are kaplan reviews that are 3 times less expensive than in the US.

The donation fee is not negotiable usually unless you know someone that can pull some connections. Some will let you pay in installments if you act nicely, others will make you pay the whole lump sum up front

good luck

phlipsquad said:
Hello.
My name is mike and I am starting med school in the phils this June 2005. I just got accepted to UERM and am waiting for UST's decision.
First and foremeost, I would like to give a shout-out to SpartanDoc. You really are quite informative and have helped not only me but the rest of us here in the forum. Thank you. I have been reading these posts, which have really helped me through the tedious admission process. Anyway, SpartanDoc, could you help me out with a question? I was thinking of taking USMLE step one during my second year (during the break). I heard that the USMLEs are offered in the Philippines? Is that true? Can you take it there? and Will I be ok reviewing on my own, without Kaplan's help? I would really appreciate your help on this one. It's just that I want to take Step 1 before my clerkships so that the basic sciences are still fresh as compared to taking Step 1 after graduation. Thanks for the help.

Hello everyone! I just want to put in my 2 pesos worth regarding matching the year you graduate. I am currently a 3rd year student from UERM and I am scheduled to graduate 2006. I am applying for the 2006 match. I was able to take USMLE step 1 in between my 2nd and 3rd year. I took the Kaplan course in Berkeley, CA. It was extremely helpful and I don’t think I would have passed without it. Fortunately, the questions which we get at UERM are similar to MLE questions so I was able to adjust easily. I took step 2CK this past December 2004 and I was able to pass with a 98/242. I also took the Kaplan course for step 2CK, but I did it at the Quezon Ave branch. I am scheduled to take Step 2CS this November. I am doing some of my rotations in the states, so it works out pretty well for me. It has been a real difficult road to climb, I don’t recommend it for everyone, but it can be done. I am just an average student, so you don’t have to be at the top of your class to do it. Good luck to everyone! I hope we all can be successful in getting residencies in the States.

Hi Spartan Doc, thanks for the information. I've found answers to most of my other questions through your responses in many other posts which is great. Thanks for being so helpful to all of us. Good luck! :)

Hello,
I just got accepted to UST med for the incoming freshman class of 2005. I also got accepted to UERM a few weeks ago. I am choosing UST over UE. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision. What do you guys think? Is UST better than UE? Any comments would be appreciated. By the way, Im from NY. Any other Phil-Ams going to UST this year? Thanks.

Hello everyone!

Does anyone know about any websites that would be helpful in determining which hospitals in the states accept students from the Philippines for clerkship? I am particularly interested in doing electives in Chicago. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

DJMD777

phlipsquad said:
Hello,
I just got accepted to UST med for the incoming freshman class of 2005. I also got accepted to UERM a few weeks ago. I am choosing UST over UE. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision. What do you guys think? Is UST better than UE? Any comments would be appreciated. By the way, Im from NY. Any other Phil-Ams going to UST this year? Thanks.

Hmm. What I am going to say maybe a little biased, but I will try to be as objective as possible. First of all, I have to say that I am a UERM student and I can give you my personal take on UERM. As you might know, we have a vertical type of PBL, which means that we study the normal people first. Meaning, our first year consists of an integration of Ana, Physio, Biochem, and Epi/Prev Med. Our 2nd and 3rd year consists on clinical modules which are organized by systems (i.e. Patho, Pharma, IM, Surg, Ob/gyn, Peds, etc.). I have to say that UERM’s strength lies within their clinical training. Some say that we are weak in the basics (i.e. Ana, Physio, Biochem), but I personally think it is up to the student.

For instance, I like UERM because we get a lot of independent study time, which means we don’t have too many classes and we can study on our own. This was especially helpful for me because I used this time to study for the USMLE. I was able to take the Step 1 exam between my 2nd and 3rd year and the Step 2 exam mid-way through my 3rd year. Another plus for UERM fil-am students is we are affiliated with a hospital in New York and we are aloud to take some of our rotations there. I personally will be doing IM, surgery, and Ob/Gyn, and Pediatrics in NY.

Lastly, I can personally attest that UERM has prepared me for the USMLE; I was able to get a 99/251 in Step 1 and a 98/242 in Step 2CK. Many of my fil-am classmates were able to pass and get high scores. Our school definitely has a passing rate higher than the ECFMG passing rate for IMG’s. I know UST is a great school, their tradition and excellence cannot be disputed. UST has a higher Filipino board passing rate than UERM (at least since 1999). One thing to consider when coming to the Philippines for medical school is that we are all IMG’s when we go back to the States. No matter were you go to school, program directors see you as an IMG. The one of main criteria for getting a residency is your USMLE score. Personally, our PBL system prepares you better for USMLE type questions and thinking more clinically. But I can’t speak for UST since I am not a student there. Either way, it’s up to the student, you can’t go wrong with both schools.

DocTan said:
Hmm. What I am going to say maybe a little biased, but I will try to be as objective as possible. First of all, I have to say that I am a UERM student and I can give you my personal take on UERM. As you might know, we have a vertical type of PBL, which means that we study the normal people first. Meaning, our first year consists of an integration of Ana, Physio, Biochem, and Epi/Prev Med. Our 2nd and 3rd year consists on clinical modules which are organized by systems (i.e. Patho, Pharma, IM, Surg, Ob/gyn, Peds, etc.). I have to say that UERM’s strength lies within their clinical training. Some say that we are weak in the basics (i.e. Ana, Physio, Biochem), but I personally think it is up to the student.

For instance, I like UERM because we get a lot of independent study time, which means we don’t have too many classes and we can study on our own. This was especially helpful for me because I used this time to study for the USMLE. I was able to take the Step 1 exam between my 2nd and 3rd year and the Step 2 exam mid-way through my 3rd year. Another plus for UERM fil-am students is we are affiliated with a hospital in New York and we are aloud to take some of our rotations there. I personally will be doing IM, surgery, and Ob/Gyn, and Pediatrics in NY.

Lastly, I can personally attest that UERM has prepared me for the USMLE; I was able to get a 99/251 in Step 1 and a 98/242 in Step 2CK. Many of my fil-am classmates were able to pass and get high scores. Our school definitely has a passing rate higher than the ECFMG passing rate for IMG’s. I know UST is a great school, their tradition and excellence cannot be disputed. UST has a higher Filipino board passing rate than UERM (at least since 1999). One thing to consider when coming to the Philippines for medical school is that we are all IMG’s when we go back to the States. No matter were you go to school, program directors see you as an IMG. The one of main criteria for getting a residency is your USMLE score. Personally, our PBL system prepares you better for USMLE type questions and thinking more clinically. But I can’t speak for UST since I am not a student there. Either way, it’s up to the student, you can’t go wrong with both schools.

DocTan,
Thank you for your input. I see that UERM is a very good school and you are a living proof of that. I only hope one day that I will be able to succeed in what you have already accomplished. Best of luck and thanks for the responses once again.

P.S. When I went to the Phils last month for my interview with UST and UE, I found out that the Philippine board topnotcher (#1) this year was a grad from UE (Dra. Karen Nielsen). Enough said. Also, UST did quite well. On the top ten, there were six UST grads.

I agree with Doc Tan, its not really the school but the student. Your efforts will determine how well you do.
While board scores on the Philippine board are important, don't judge the success of the school on that. From many of my friends that took the board, it does not measure really what you know a lot of the time, but really if you have seen the right questions, or looked through the right things.
While in the Philippines, I worked with students from both UERM and UST, both seemed very prepared.
Congratulations on your choice, good luck, and rest now while you can, you will need the energy these next 7-8 years,

As for clinical clerkships, a couple of years ago, when I was trying to get some on my own, I contacted schools myself. So if you want to do some clerkships in Chicago, contact the clerkship director at the programs that interest you. The extra foot work is a pain, but may prove to be more successful in finding you some. Also, you will need malpractice insurance for some programs, good luck.

phlipsquad said:
Hello,

i went through the same dilemma. i chose ust over ue because ust has better facilities, better reputation and a nicer campus

Question I have is this? I was recently sent email about my application process for medical schools for this coming up freshman class of 2005 from UST. I'm one of the students under the eligible foreign applicants which have a pending interview still around May when I go over. I applied to two schools UST and FEU. I completed the FEU application and sent it on Jan 25 so I know it was too early to get information about my process there since they probably just received my application information recently. But, when I got the email I was suprised by the number of students in the announcements for Far Eastern University. I noticed they only had 7 students. Here is the html address:

http://ustfms-admcom.tripod.com/id4.html

While both UP (160) and UST (223) had a full list on the announcement links. With both schools having a surprising list of long students.

http://ustfms-admcom.tripod.com/id5.html

I'm wondering why is there such a big difference in amount of students on the list. I understand UST and UP would have big numbers. But why do there rest have only few if any listed....Ateno (55), De la salle (36), FEU (7), and the rest having small numbers...is it because it's still early or why?

As a response to phlipsquad..if i do get in to both UST and FEU...while not the same as UERM and UST...one of the deciding factors maybe that I don't want my parents to fully pay for my schooling so I'm applying through FAFSA to try to get a Stafford loan (a question i had asked earlier and got a response from Spartan Doc). While I'm not sure how a Stafford loan works becuae I've never applied for one..it's something I'm considering. There are currently only 5 schools which you can get a Stafford loan and they are Angeles Univeristy Foundation, Asian Insitution of Managment, FATIMA, Silliman, and UST...(while I'm not sure which schools have medical school they are the ones recognized by America that you can get a Stafford loan). Not sure if this is helpful for you...but I hope it can help you. And congrats to getting in maybe I'll see you around if we both choose UST.

hi! im planning on studying at St.luke's this june and im about to take the NMAT this April....Which subjects should I focus on? thanks . :)

GoldenAzn said:
Question I have is this? I was recently sent email about my application process for medical schools for this coming up freshman class of 2005 from UST. I'm one of the students under the eligible foreign applicants which have a pending interview still around May when I go over. I applied to two schools UST and FEU. I completed the FEU application and sent it on Jan 25 so I know it was too early to get information about my process there since they probably just received my application information recently. But, when I got the email I was suprised by the number of students in the announcements for Far Eastern University. I noticed they only had 7 students. Here is the html address:

http://ustfms-admcom.tripod.com/id4.html

While both UP (160) and UST (223) had a full list on the announcement links. With both schools having a surprising list of long students.

http://ustfms-admcom.tripod.com/id5.html

I'm wondering why is there such a big difference in amount of students on the list. I understand UST and UP would have big numbers. But why do there rest have only few if any listed....Ateno (55), De la salle (36), FEU (7), and the rest having small numbers...is it because it's still early or why?

As a response to phlipsquad..if i do get in to both UST and FEU...while not the same as UERM and UST...one of the deciding factors maybe that I don't want my parents to fully pay for my schooling so I'm applying through FAFSA to try to get a Stafford loan (a question i had asked earlier and got a response from Spartan Doc). While I'm not sure how a Stafford loan works becuae I've never applied for one..it's something I'm considering. There are currently only 5 schools which you can get a Stafford loan and they are Angeles Univeristy Foundation, Asian Insitution of Managment, FATIMA, Silliman, and UST...(while I'm not sure which schools have medical school they are the ones recognized by America that you can get a Stafford loan). Not sure if this is helpful for you...but I hope it can help you. And congrats to getting in maybe I'll see you around if we both choose UST.

Hi Golden,
Good luck with your applications. Thanks for the link.. that helped me out. I found my name in the eligible students list which makes everthing more real..even though the registrar already told me Im accepted. Im so excited to start. I can't wait. Hope to see you in UST! P.S. You have your interview in May? Why so late? School starts June? Anyway, best of luck!

a_pancho said:
i went through the same dilemma. i chose ust over ue because ust has better facilities, better reputation and a nicer campus

Thanks for the reply pancho. What year are you in? Are you a foreigner? Are you taking the USMLE? Also, do you know if UST has a fairly higher USMLE passing rate than other foreign schools? Thanks

can someone walk me through the process of taking NMAT I am here in california and I dunnon where to take it and what they need or etc. please

medictech13 said:
can someone walk me through the process of taking NMAT I am here in california and I dunnon where to take it and what they need or etc. please

The next sitting of the NMAT will be administered by the Center for Educational Measurement in Manila on Sunday, April 10, 2005. Go to www.cem-inc.org and get their phone number. Call and ask to speak to Noreen Manzano and she will give you the lowdown.

Alternatively, you can e-mail her at [email protected]

I think your other choice is to wait until October to take the test in California.

medictech13 said:

Hi Medictech!

I was in the same boat you were in not so long ago. The NMAT is offered every October, i believe (at least thats when I took it), in New York and Los Angeles (where I took it). First you have to contact a dood named 'Godfrey' with the Center for Educational Measurement (CEM). I think you can get a hold of him via calling the Phillipine Embassy in LA or inquiring about the NMAT to them. Once you call them/him, you will receive a packet of info: a practice test and registration forms. You have to pay 300 bux for the test and pay via CASHIERS CHECK (dont give personal check..like i did....) bc it will be converted to pesos later.

The test is nothing compared to the MCAT (if you took it). However, I was surprised how much I sucked at math when I took the practice tests. Your best bet for studying for the NMAT is to complete the practice test and understand your mistakes. Fortunately, I did well however I got accepted into a US Osteopathic school so my plans to go the the PI have changed.

Good luck and PM me if you have any more questions.

jUxTaPoSiTiOn said:
Hi Medictech!

I was in the same boat you were in not so long ago. The NMAT is offered every October, i believe (at least thats when I took it), in New York and Los Angeles (where I took it). First you have to contact a dood named 'Godfrey' with the Center for Educational Measurement (CEM). I think you can get a hold of him via calling the Phillipine Embassy in LA or inquiring about the NMAT to them. Once you call them/him, you will receive a packet of info: a practice test and registration forms. You have to pay 300 bux for the test and pay via CASHIERS CHECK (dont give personal check..like i did....) bc it will be converted to pesos later.

The test is nothing compared to the MCAT (if you took it). However, I was surprised how much I sucked at math when I took the practice tests. Your best bet for studying for the NMAT is to complete the practice test and understand your mistakes. Fortunately, I did well however I got accepted into a US Osteopathic school so my plans to go the the PI have changed.

Good luck and PM me if you have any more questions.

THank you very much for the help...well will it be cheaper if I'll take it in the Philippines then??? because I originally took my premed at FEUNRMF and got my lisence too..stopped to breathe....spending some time here and now I want to continue..(that's my lil history hehehe )...and I am here---> San Jose so I guess I need to drive 7hours to take the exam. :) :eek: but thanks for the infos please email me if you think there's something else I have to know...thanks and I really appreciate your [email protected] and I'm on friendster too. :D :D :thumbup:

hello everybody

I've been accepted to Fatima and will be joining med school in June this year, therefore I was just wondering if anybody is from there and what kind of advise you could give me. HOw has med school been in the first two years and what is the difficulty level? Or any tips if anyone would like to share :)
Thanks guys

I was wondering if any Filipino medical grads matched/current residents in General Surgery/Neuro/Uro/Orthro. I am researching FMG friendly hospitals and I was wondering if Filipino grads have been able to make into surgery. I have yet to hear of an FMG from the Philippines in a Categorical Surgery position. If you guys are out there, I would appreciate any advice...i.e. your USMLE scores, LOR's needed, rotations done in the States, how many applications sent out, how many hospitals ranked..etc. I am going for the 2006 match and I am trying to narrow down the number of hospitals to apply to. I am planning to apply to 30-50 hospitals, but it might get too expensive for me. Thanks.

DocTan said:
I was wondering if any Filipino medical grads matched/current residents in General Surgery/Neuro/Uro/Orthro. I am researching FMG friendly hospitals and I was wondering if Filipino grads have been able to make into surgery. I have yet to hear of an FMG from the Philippines in a Categorical Surgery position. If you guys are out there, I would appreciate any advice...i.e. your USMLE scores, LOR's needed, rotations done in the States, how many applications sent out, how many hospitals ranked..etc. I am going for the 2006 match and I am trying to narrow down the number of hospitals to apply to. I am planning to apply to 30-50 hospitals, but it might get too expensive for me. Thanks.

Hi Doctan,
I am not a resident or anything, but I hope this helps. I guess I have too much time in my hands with researching the internet while at work. There is a website (database of practicing filipino doctors) in different specialties. These docs are just those that choose to be listed. Anyway, there are a few surgeons from UP and UST who are practicing... I noticed this...in Michigan and Massachusetts.They have their address listed. Anyway, here is the link, www.doktorko.com/index.php Anyway, Go to categorical search and look at general surgery. Other specialties are also listed. Although these docs might not be current residents, I saw a trend in the areas where they are mostly practicing. I hope these filipino docs are helping their fellow Filipino IMG grads. I hope this helps, if at all. If not then it could serve as a type of motivation to all Filipino IMG's and med students who hope to one day practice in the states, with whatever specialty they desire.

I have a friend that graduated from FEUNRMF, that is currently a surgical resident in Maimonides in new york.. She had 2 months of clinical rotations in the US and got in the high 80s for step 1 and 2. She is also a US citizen and did not have to deal with visa issues.