Filling repair charge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ferroportin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a patient had a filling replacement a week prior, and now returns due to discomfort / pain, is it customary to charge for a second visit? Is it permissible?

Members don't see this ad.

If you paid a body shop to replace the bumper on your car and if fell off going down the road a week later because they forgot to put all the bolts back in would you expect to be charged twice for their neglect? We don't know all the details on the case or patient but if a dentist has to repair a filling after one week it was probably not done properly or was on a tooth that was not a good candidate for a filling to begin with. If the patient was trying to save money by getting a filling instead of extracting then yes I would charge for a second visit if I thought (and advised) it should have been extracted to begin with, but if it was just a bad filling job then the dentist should eat the cost and fix it or expect that patient to start looking for a new dentist.

Sure, I was just curious as to what was legal. I came back a second time after the first re-adjustment didn't work, and got a bill for that visit.

Yeah I had a feeling your were the one getting the work done. I would ask him (or her) if you are required to pay it as sometimes the office ladies just routinely bill for things without realizing it was for a repair on a filling he had done one week prior. Could be a misunderstanding on their part but if you are still required to pay it I would look for a new dentist who stands behind his or her work.