Filters for CPJE????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

codered7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we need to know which iv meds need filters for CPJE?
Any help will be much appreciated THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Do we need to know which iv meds need filters for CPJE?
Any help will be much appreciated THANKS!

I had a filter question on my CPJE. I would review storage and handling: glass/non-PVC, protect from light, refrigerated/non-refrigerated (especially with antibiotics). I can't recall if I had any short-stability questions, but I had reviewed that, too.

Some additional unsolicited advice:
-Know patient counseling (with food/without food, OTCs, general counseling points)
-Know the common vaccination schedule
-Know common renal/hepatic adjustments
-Read Weissman
-Know brand/generic
-Know the different categories of controlled substance meds

Good luck! :thumbup:

I had a filter question on my CPJE. I would review storage and handling: glass/non-PVC, protect from light, refrigerated/non-refrigerated (especially with antibiotics). I can't recall if I had any short-stability questions, but I had reviewed that, too.

-Know patient counseling (with food/without food, OTCs, general counseling points)
-Read Weissman
-Know brand/generic

Thanks! You are wonderful!

I love it...such difficult things to remember that will always be looked up in practice! How did you do it???
For glass/nonPVC... I can use Tic Tac Toe Craving Delicious Pho, and ACLS TIN
but for refrigerate, protect from light....the lists are just so damn long.

For patient counseling, will the RxPREP aux labels be enough(http://www.rxprep.com/t-auxiliary-labels.aspx)?
RXPREP is just so big don't know where to look. I've already read it twice for NAPLEX a couple months ago....Where should I focus?

Reactions: 1 user
<snip>
For glass/nonPVC... I can use Tic Tac Toe Craving Delicious Pho, and ACLS TIN
but for refrigerate, protect from light....the lists are just so damn long.
<snip>

You're most welcome! I received some really helpful pointers from fellow SDNers on the CPJE when I transferred my license to CA myself.

Also, check your inbox. You should have a little something waiting for you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Same issue here. Cpje in 3 wks and I don't know what to focus on. So reading everything and it's overwhelming

Just study like you did for the NAPLEX, minus calculations, oncology and weird disease states e.g., cystic fibrosis. Those auxiliary labels linked in an earlier post were helpful for the exam as well. You might also want to know IV compatibility. I think mine had some HIV and types of insulin on it last year. I've also heard the course on RxPrep is pretty good (I didn't use it but some of my classmates did).

Just study like you did for the NAPLEX, minus calculations, oncology and weird disease states e.g., cystic fibrosis. Those auxiliary labels linked in an earlier post were helpful for the exam as well. You might also want to know IV compatibility. I think mine had some HIV and types of insulin on it last year. I've also heard the course on RxPrep is pretty good (I didn't use it but some of my classmates did).
My CPJE is this coming wednesday. I'm just focusing on patient counseling and auxillary labels and IV compatibilities/diluents (weird stuff to memorize, but still gonna memorize none the less). Mind is drained after my NAPLEX this past friday. Really just want to hurry and get the CPJE over with already ugh

I am scheduled to take the CPJE in a week. I have been combing through the clinical sections in 2013 rxprep book but starting to jumble things. I am hoping I have time to review. The suggestions I read above helps. Thanks protongenic! I have to agree with codered7. I am still not sure how to remember all the refrigeration, room temp, protect from light, etc. It is getting overwhelming.

Also, I read on the CA Board of Pharmacy that the QA started on November 1, 2013. Does anyone know of anyone who got caught in the QA getting their results back within a month?

Last edited:
That sucks. The California Board has to be one of the worst things ever. Te notice on the boards website says that results should be given in January or February. I hope this isn't the case and we get results back in a month.

I got caught in the last QA. It started August 1st and I took the exam September 5th. I had the results September 27th. Hopefully they will get the 400 test takers quickly and can end the QA quickly

This is terrible news! I will probably lose a job opportunity because of this...

Is there any chance if I take it now It will get graded in a month?

If there isn't....THere is no point in taking it now.....Mind as well make sure I pass and not get stuck in another QA plus 3mo if I fail!

What the heck BOP !!!!!!!!!!!

This is terrible news! I will probably lose a job opportunity because of this...

Is there any chance if I take it now It will get graded in a month?

If there isn't....THere is no point in taking it now.....Mind as well make sure I pass and not get stuck in another QA plus 3mo if I fail!

What the heck BOP !!!!!!!!!!!
I'm taking it now. Hopefully they can get the 400 people they need to take it, so we can get the results in about a month. I'm also losing out on a job opportunity cuz of this stupid QA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! Thanks for the update. Yeah, I see that announcement now too. As long as we take it before the QA start date, then we are fine, right? I am really hoping they don't start the QA until December. Yeah, I think a lot of job opportunities are on lost when the QA starts up.

Anyhow, sorry for deviating the topic somewhat. When I saw that message on the Board website, I just had to ask about it. Well, kind of getting back on topic, how much do you think we need to know about oncology, hormone replacement therapies and OCs? I know ravingrabbid mentioned to study like the naplex minus the weird disease states. But anything is fair game in the CPJE, right?

Thanks for any and all suggestions being offered on how to get through this. Much appreciated!

Wow! Thanks for the update. Yeah, I see that announcement now too. As long as we take it before the QA start date, then we are fine, right? I am really hoping they don't start the QA until December. Yeah, I think a lot of job opportunities are on lost when the QA starts up.

Anyhow, sorry for deviating the topic somewhat. When I saw that message on the Board website, I just had to ask about it. Well, kind of getting back on topic, how much do you think we need to know about oncology, hormone replacement therapies and OCs? I know ravingrabbid mentioned to study like the naplex minus the weird disease states. But anything is fair game in the CPJE, right?

Thanks for any and all suggestions being offered on how to get through this. Much appreciated!
Yea. I've just been focusing on big side effects, patient counseling, IV preparations/compatibilities, and what drugs can be taken with food or on empty stomach. And I've gotta start reading the Weissman book too lol. For oncology, I'm just gonna focus on the class side effects. For HR, I think just going over the different preparations, and for OCs (I'm screwed cuz it's all a jumbled mess lol).

Yea. I've just been focusing on big side effects, patient counseling, IV preparations/compatibilities, and what drugs can be taken with food or on empty stomach. And I've gotta start reading the Weissman book too lol. For oncology, I'm just gonna focus on the class side effects. For HR, I think just going over the different preparations, and for OCs (I'm screwed cuz it's all a jumbled mess lol).
Yeah, same here. OCs is a jumbled mess for me too lol and oncology I am still weak on it. Just been planning on reviewing the side effect picture in the rxprep. I went over the Weissman book once before but planning on looking over it again--if time allows. Well, thanks for your input. Good luck on Wednesday.

Talked to the California board and they verified that there is no QA period this month and that it was an error in updating. So most likely December is the next QA period. So relieved :)

You're most welcome! I received some really helpful pointers from fellow SDNers on the CPJE when I transferred my license to CA myself.

Also, check your inbox. You should have a little something waiting for you. Good luck!
Hello, I am taking the CPJE soon and looking for study tips as well. Could you send me any pointers you have?
Also I am having a lot of trouble finding IV compatibility information. Is there any other way to find out what I need to know besides buying the pharmacy charts on ebay?

can you please inbox me to with info
iam taking it in a week
thank you

Last edited:
Here's a list I compiled when I took the CPJE:

Non-PVC
Tacrolimus, temsirolimus, teniposide, cabazitaxel, docetaxel, paclitaxel, amiodarone, amiodarone, caramustine, lorazepam, sufentanil, thiopental, regular insulin, NTG, Cyclosporine

Protect from light
Amiodarone
Ampho B
Bactrim
Ceftriaxone, Cefepime, Ciprofloxacin
Doxycycline
Dopamine
Epinephrine, Esomeprazole
Fentanyl, Furosemide (and tablets)
Granisetron
Hydrocortisone, Hydromorphone
Leucovorin, Levofloxacin, Levothyroxine, Linezolid
Methylprednisolone, Metoprolol, Metronidazole
Ondansetron
Pentamidine, Phytonadione, Prochlorperazine
SMX/TMP, sodium nitroprusside

NS
Ampicillin
Caspofungin
Cladribine
Daptomycin
Dihydralazine
Ertapenem
Erythromycin
Ferrous (Iron Salts)
Levothyroxine
Phenytoin

D5W
Acetylcysteine
Adenosine
Amiodarone
Ampho B
Bactrim
Labetalol
Neupogen
Nitroprusside
Norepinephrine
Procainamide
Synercid

Filter
Abciximab
Albumin
Amiodarone
Ampho B
Diazepam
Digibind
Etoposide
Itraconazole
Mannitol
Paclitaxel
Phenytoin
TPN

Refrigerate
Caspofungin

Do not refrigerate
Amiodarone
Bactrim
Furosemide
Metronidazole
Cyclosporine
Acyclovir
Phenytoin

Short stability/protect from light
levothyroxine
nitroprusside
Norepinephrine
Phenytoin
SMX/TMP

Reactions: 1 users
thank you

Here's a list I compiled when I took the CPJE:

Non-PVC
Tacrolimus, temsirolimus, teniposide, cabazitaxel, docetaxel, paclitaxel, amiodarone, amiodarone, caramustine, lorazepam, sufentanil, thiopental, regular insulin, NTG, Cyclosporine

Protect from light
Amiodarone
Ampho B
Bactrim
Ceftriaxone, Cefepime, Ciprofloxacin
Doxycycline
Dopamine
Epinephrine, Esomeprazole
Fentanyl, Furosemide (and tablets)
Granisetron
Hydrocortisone, Hydromorphone
Leucovorin, Levofloxacin, Levothyroxine, Linezolid
Methylprednisolone, Metoprolol, Metronidazole
Ondansetron
Pentamidine, Phytonadione, Prochlorperazine
SMX/TMP, sodium nitroprusside

NS
Ampicillin
Caspofungin
Cladribine
Daptomycin
Dihydralazine
Ertapenem
Erythromycin
Ferrous (Iron Salts)
Levothyroxine
Phenytoin

D5W
Acetylcysteine
Adenosine
Amiodarone
Ampho B
Bactrim
Labetalol
Neupogen
Nitroprusside
Norepinephrine
Procainamide
Synercid

Filter
Abciximab
Albumin
Amiodarone
Ampho B
Diazepam
Digibind
Etoposide
Itraconazole
Mannitol
Paclitaxel
Phenytoin
TPN

Refrigerate
Caspofungin

Do not refrigerate
Amiodarone
Bactrim
Furosemide
Metronidazole
Cyclosporine
Acyclovir
Phenytoin

Short stability/protect from light
levothyroxine
nitroprusside
Norepinephrine
Phenytoin
SMX/TMP

-Read Weissman
-Know brand/generic