Final consensus on addressing bad grades in secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keepcalm2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the "Is there anything else you would like the committee to know?" question, I was thinking of writing about my low undergrad grades. I have 3 to 4 semesters of many B's/C's, a few A's and one D, but I received straight A's after that and in my post-bac program after taking many units (upward trend). I searched for old threads, and some of them said to mention the bad grades and discuss how you improved, while others insisted to not talk about them at all. I don't have a strong reason for why my grades messed up (I didn't take my education very seriously back then & I slacked off).

Should I talk about bad grades or am I better off writing about something else like the research work I've been doing (presented a poster & getting published by the end of the year)? Any help is appreciated and thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would talk about it. You do have a strong reason for the bad grades: you were immature. Since then, you have matured and have been able to get good grades and learn from the past experience. Medical school is a grueling experience so ADCOM's really like seeing signs of maturity that will ultimately help you survive the tougher moments. If you don't talk about it in your secondary, you may not get an interview and never have a chance to explain. However, when you do get an interview, you will be asked what happened regardless of what you put in your secondary. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a possibility that I might not get an interview if I do write about it? @LizzyM has consistently said to not "highlight your zits" and only write about your positive aspects/strengths.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a possibility that I might not get an interview if I do write about it? @LizzyM has consistently said to not "highlight your zits" and only write about your positive aspects/strengths.

Trust me when I say that ADCOMs already see the bad grades whether you point them out or not. However, if you can talk about how you have improved and what you learned, then that will help you. As long as you were getting really good grades following the immature period, then you should be fine.

Trust me when I say that ADCOMs already see the bad grades whether you point them out or not. However, if you can talk about how you have improved and what you learned, then that will help you. As long as you were getting really good grades following the immature period, then you should be fine.

Thanks for your opinion! I appreciate it. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

Anyone else? There are so many conflicting opinions on this issue, I would like to hear as much advice on the matter as possible.

Concur. The prompt you quoted at the top is exactly the sort that allows for explaining (and NOT excuses for) poor grades.

Reactions: 2 users
For the "Is there anything else you would like the committee to know?" question, I was thinking of writing about my low undergrad grades. I have 3 to 4 semesters of many B's/C's, a few A's and one D, but I received straight A's after that and in my post-bac program after taking many units (upward trend). I searched for old threads, and some of them said to mention the bad grades and discuss how you improved, while others insisted to not talk about them at all. I don't have a strong reason for why my grades messed up (I didn't take my education very seriously back then & I slacked off).

Should I talk about bad grades or am I better off writing about something else like the research work I've been doing (presented a poster & getting published by the end of the year)? Any help is appreciated and thank you.

I'm in the same boat. Most of my grades are A's, but I've got a few C's and a D as well. The D was actually in a Chem 101 class. The grades, along with the length of time it has taken me to get a degree show indecision and lack of maturity. They know that and I know that, so I'm going to use it to highlight my growth. I can actually point out where my decision to become a doctor occurred based on the shift in grades and events in my life.

I'm hoping that the clarity and personal growth I've gained will be a key factor in the adcoms decision.

I'm in the same boat. Most of my grades are A's, but I've got a few C's and a D as well. The D was actually in a Chem 101 class. The grades, along with the length of time it has taken me to get a degree show indecision and lack of maturity. They know that and I know that, so I'm going to use it to highlight my growth. I can actually point out where my decision to become a doctor occurred based on the shift in grades and events in my life.

I'm hoping that the clarity and personal growth I've gained will be a key factor in the adcoms decision.

I have decided to do the same. It's just kinda hard to write about getting bad grades when the reasons are due to lack of motivation & immaturity. I guess I'll dwell more on how I picked myself up and did well later on.

Not everyone has their whole life figured out by 18. We live and we learn.

I wouldn't go into great detail on why you were immature or give examples of how you used to party 6 days a week. Heck, you might be able to get away with not even using the word "immature". Focus on your growth instead and give a quick acknowledgement of previous shortcomings.

Reactions: 1 users