FINAL LIST - 3.59 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, 517 MCAT re-take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just wanted to make sure I have a good list before I dish out money for all of the secondary applications.

~ Graduated May 2015 with a BS in Neuroscience from well-respected liberal arts college

~ State of residence: Ohio

~ Cumulative GPA: 3.59, Science GPA: 3.65

~ MCAT Score: 517 (130/126/130/131) 96th percentile – retake, 1st attempt on old MCAT: 27 (10/9/8) 61st percentile

~ Research – 1.5-year independent research project within biology department on campus, no publications yet but poster presentation at a conference in Washington, DC

~ Volunteering (clinical) – (300 hours) Received $4,000 grant to travel to California and work in an outpatient cardiovascular clinic for one summer.

~ Physician shadowing – (175 hours) Participated in a 4-week clinical rotation program – shadowed plastic surgery, cardiology, orthopedic surgery and otolaryngology

~ Non-clinical volunteering: (200 hours) Worked as the lead Volunteer Coordinator for my local Red Cross Chapter the past year, organized multiple fundraisers and drives in my area

~ Extracurricular activities (900+ hours) 2-year varsity soccer player, quit to focus on academics and created Club Soccer Team on campus for last 2 years. (150 hours) Peer tutor on campus for 3 years

~ Employment history: (1500+ hours) Worked as a full-time scribe in a local emergency department for the past 14 months.

Here's my school list:

In-state:
OSU
UC
Case Western
Wright State
Northeast Ohio
University of Toledo

Out-of state:
NY Med
Drexel
St. Louis University
Loyola
Rush
Wake Forest
Tulane
Albany
University of Miami
Georgetown
Tufts
Emory
Boston University
Rochester
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Brown

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest, of your list:

OSU
UC
Case Western
Wright State
Northeast Ohio
University of Toledo

Out-of state:
NY Med
Drexel
St. Louis University
Loyola
Rush
Wake Forest
Tulane
Albany
University of Miami
Georgetown
Tufts
Emory
Boston University
Rochester
Albert Einstein

Suggest adding: Hofstra, Temple, Jefferson, U VM

Members don't see this ad :)
Upward trend. 3.3 at end of freshman year, then a 3.6 by graduation

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any reason why we arent aiming higher here? 3.6 with a 35. Pretty good ECs.

Any reason why we arent aiming higher here? 3.6 with a 35. Pretty good ECs.

First MCAT score 1 year ago was 27, which is going to lower my chances at most schools - GPA is just average too. You think I should be aiming higher?

EDIT: AMCAS Application was just verified this morning - ended up with a cGPA: 3.6 and a sGPA: 3.61

Last edited:
First MCAT score 1 year ago was 27, which is going to lower my chances at most schools - GPA is just average too. You think I should be aiming higher?

EDIT: AMCAS Application was just verified this morning - ended up with a cGPA: 3.6 and a sGPA: 3.61

I dunno. Your application is definitely above average in all facits except for GPA and you are applying to all these low yield schools.

I dunno. Your application is definitely above average in all facits except for GPA and you are applying to all these low yield schools.

How do you tell if a schools low yield? Is it # Applicants/# of Matriculants?

I was trying to aim for OOS where I have a good chance of being accepted

Looks like a solid list OP. Make sure you include all of Goro's list to give yourself the best shot of being accepted somewhere! And don't be afraid to throw in some reaches (given finances aren't too big of an issue).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, your MCAT is the only thing that can get eyes on your app with top tier schools. Your EC's seem to be average (if not slightly lower) compared to those who got into these schools. But I'd say it's worth a try!

In my opinion, your MCAT is the only thing that can get eyes on your app with top tier schools. Your EC's seem to be average (if not slightly lower) compared to those who got into these schools. But I'd say it's worth a try!

Yeah I realize that, so I'm only applying to a few top-tier schools. I'm trying to focus on low/mid-tier

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile