MD & DO Final Stretch of SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdamW49

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I'm headed into my final school year at the Syracuse Biomedical Master's Program. I'm a California native, and 2013 graduate of UCB. I'm looking to apply this upcoming cycle, and would really appreciate input on things I can work on this coming school year, as well as realistic projections for what I can expect during this application process. I'm open to both DO and MD, and would prefer something on the West Coast if possible.

Things of Note:
2.8 cGPA as undergrad
4.0 GPA in SMP
29 MCAT (10 -VR, 10 -BS, 9-PS)
~3 years full-time working as DNA Forensic Analyst
1.5 years as DNA Research Assistant
Summer as hospital volunteer
3 years peer counseling advisor
4 years summer school math/biology teacher
Volunteer for Crohn's and Colitis Foundation
UCB Leadership Scholar Award

I encourage any and all creative criticism, being a non-trad isn't for the faint of heart! ;p
Thanks in advance, SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Is syracuses SMP one with medical school classes in it(and with what med school could it be linked to)?

The MCAT will limit you to the following:

Temple

Jefferson

Drexel

Quinnipiac

WVU

Rosy Franklin

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

NYMC

VCU

U VM

EVMS

Western MI
Oakland -B

Rush

UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire.

Any DO school. Start with both Westerns, TUNCOM, AZCOM, SOMA and Touro-CA

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is syracuses SMP one with medical school classes in it(and with what med school could it be linked to)?

Sadly, it is not. There are rumblings that we'll have linked courses starting possibly in the Winter '16 semester with SUNY. Obviously, I'd enroll in those should they be offered.

The MCAT will limit you to the following:

Temple

Jefferson

Drexel

Quinnipiac

WVU

Rosy Franklin

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

NYMC

VCU

U VM

EVMS

Western MI
Oakland -B

Rush

UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire.

Any DO school. Start with both Westerns, TUNCOM, AZCOM, SOMA and Touro-CA
Thank You! Obviously the UC's would be a dream, but I will obviously apply more broadly than that. My MCAT is right at the borderline of where I feel like I can do better, but I'm hesitant now that the format has changed.

Is your state of residence California or NY? NY has a sizable advantage over CA when it comes to in-state admissions: as a NY applicant, you are twice as likely to matriculate in-state as a CA applicant and 6% more likely to be accepted, period, according to AAMC Table 5. NY loves to give people residency since they have a hefty state income tax you have to pay- you may be eligible.

Focus on DO along with the MDs Goro mentioned. Congrats on acing the SMP.

Is your state of residence California or NY? NY has a sizable advantage over CA when it comes to in-state admissions: as a NY applicant, you are twice as likely to matriculate in-state as a CA applicant and 6% more likely to be accepted, period, according to AAMC Table 5. NY loves to give people residency since they have a hefty state income tax you have to pay- you may be eligible.

Focus on DO along with the MDs Goro mentioned. Congrats on acing the SMP.
My state of residence sadly (in this regard) is CA. I know that essentially nullifies the in-state preference, but I would like to return to CA for med school if possible. Thanks for the kind words.

Hello SDN,

I'm headed into my final school year at the Syracuse Biomedical Master's Program. I'm a California native, and 2013 graduate of UCB. I'm looking to apply this upcoming cycle, and would really appreciate input on things I can work on this coming school year, as well as realistic projections for what I can expect during this application process. I'm open to both DO and MD, and would prefer something on the West Coast if possible.

Things of Note:
2.8 cGPA as undergrad
4.0 GPA in SMP
29 MCAT (10 -VR, 10 -BS, 9-PS)
~3 years full-time working as DNA Forensic Analyst
1.5 years as DNA Research Assistant
Summer as hospital volunteer
3 years peer counseling advisor
4 years summer school math/biology teacher
Volunteer for Crohn's and Colitis Foundation
UCB Leadership Scholar Award

I encourage any and all creative criticism, being a non-trad isn't for the faint of heart! ;p
Thanks in advance, SDN.
It's hard to comment on your chances when your SMP is not well known, as we have no idea how much traction it carries. However, even with a 4.0 from Georgetown I would say your chances of MD in Ca are slim with a 29 MCAT (don't apply to CNU please.)
You should be fine for either of the DO Ca schools.

http://forensics.syr.edu/biomedical.html

Is it this one? It doesn't sound like an SMP. With that ugpa and MCAT combo, I wouldn't apply to either DO or MD this cycle.
I disagree that OP shouldn't apply. Sadly, I agree that MD schools are finicky about what does and doesn't constitute an SMP.
I still contend that you should be OK for DO schools. They tend to be much less snobbish about the whole SMP thing, and simply want to see that you excel. Biochem, developmental bio, physiology, and molecular genetics are all good, strong courses.

So if this isn't an SMP with med school classes how is it looked at any differently than just a typical masters(ie it won't have much impact on admission)? It's not a rhetorical question I'm actually interested in if/how it is.

So if this isn't an SMP with med school classes how is it looked at any differently than just a typical masters(ie it won't have much impact on admission)? It's not a rhetorical question I'm actually interested in if/how it is.
There are people who have zero success with these self-proclaimed "SMPs." That's why it's important for applicants to be smart shoppers, and stick to SMPs that have success with getting students into U.S., allopathic med schools.
MD schools tend to care more about which particular program an applicant has done. DO schools tend to admit applicants from lesser known programs. We have no idea if any AdCom's will be receptive to OP this coming cycle, that's why it's such a gamble to do these random programs. All OP can do is apply, and see who bites.
Honestly? My suspicion is that AdCom's will look at this program as simply another hard-science masters program, which lacks the redemption factor it advertises. But we'll see.

There are people who have zero success with these self-proclaimed "SMPs." That's why it's important for applicants to be smart shoppers, and stick to SMPs that have success with getting students into U.S., allopathic med schools.
MD schools tend to care more about which particular program an applicant has done. DO schools tend to admit applicants from lesser known programs. We have no idea if any AdCom's will be receptive to OP this coming cycle, that's why it's such a gamble to do these random programs. All OP can do is apply, and see who bites.
Honestly? My suspicion is that AdCom's will look at this program as simply another hard-science masters program, which lacks the redemption factor it advertises. But we'll see.

This is also why I often advocate for doing a DIY post bac with upper level classes at your undergrad institution over an SMP in so many cases.

Work part time, keep taking classes to boost your gpa, pick your own classes so you can avoid the bad ones in your school, save money. Get the gpa up to a competitive range and have a nice upward trend while also doing stuff on the side like research and working. Above all else its far easier to ace undergrad classes you get to pick than do an SMP where you have no flexibility and have to beat out the majority of md students in a class when many of them have been straight A students their whole life. Sounds like the way to go for many people( although with a 2.8 an SMP was a good move for the OP)

Thanks everyone for the responses. Syracuse's program is essentially brand new; I believe I'll be in either the 2nd or 3rd graduating class from the program attempting to get into Medical School. While it doesn't adhere to the normative SMP formula of essentially being an MS1 student, it does dip into the forensic side of things, which is something I have both experience and interest in. Although the required curriculum isn't straight-up redo's of premed prereq's or med school coursework, there are quite a few classes (i.e. "Metals in Medicine") that I believe will do a good job of showing that I'm rectifying some of my past low grades. As far as being generalized as a hard science master's, I kind of anticipated that, and hope to mold the classes I take plus my description of the work in the application to skew toward the more pre-medical track. My initial intention was to gauge what other people thought of my progress so far, and whether there were steps I really need to take that I have overlooked so far. I'm definitely not the 4.0/45 candidate, however, I'd like to roll with the punches and set myself up as best as possible. Thanks again all.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Syracuse's program is essentially brand new; I believe I'll be in either the 2nd or 3rd graduating class from the program attempting to get into Medical School. While it doesn't adhere to the normative SMP formula of essentially being an MS1 student, it does dip into the forensic side of things, which is something I have both experience and interest in. Although the required curriculum isn't straight-up redo's of premed prereq's or med school coursework, there are quite a few classes (i.e. "Metals in Medicine") that I believe will do a good job of showing that I'm rectifying some of my past low grades. As far as being generalized as a hard science master's, I kind of anticipated that, and hope to mold the classes I take plus my description of the work in the application to skew toward the more pre-medical track. My initial intention was to gauge what other people thought of my progress so far, and whether there were steps I really need to take that I have overlooked so far. I'm definitely not the 4.0/45 candidate, however, I'd like to roll with the punches and set myself up as best as possible. Thanks again all.
Sounds good OP, and I wish you the best, but there are a couple of things I want to point out that I think you might have missed:

1.) I actually do NOT think it is a good idea to do an SMP with a <3.0 GPA. Why? You will get screened out at a fair amount of MD schools. You will just have to apply strategically. There is nothing you can do about this now.

2.) An SMP doesn't remediate a low MCAT score. People do get into MD schools with 29 MCAT scores, true. But those people have high GPAs to compensate or most likely aren't from Ca.

3.) MD schools tend to get nervous when they see a <3.0 GPA without an upward trend, or without a year of strong postbacc work. 10x more so when it's coupled with an SMP they have never heard of. It makes them start to wonder about the rigor of your program. They want to know that your newfound academic redemption isn't a fluke.

4.) No offense, but what you think about your program is totally irrelevant. What matters is what AdComs think. I would spend exactly zero time emphasizing the grad work. Focus on the med school stuff, insofar as it exists.

When all of the above is taken into consideration, I think you are a strong DO candidate. I would spend some time learning about the Ca DO schools. Western and Touros are both wonderful schools, and it would be a privilege for any student to go to either of those schools. Good luck!