Finally in control of my bipolar disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KodaTales

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ever since the beginning of senior year in high school my moods felt unstable and my attention to school work would vary. Some weeks I'd feel motivated and I could do everything without any trouble whilst other weeks it'd take me an entire day or two just to start a research paper. It is now halfway through my junior year in college and I have just begun to see someone for my mental issues. So far it has been working out well and I feel a lot better and in control of my life. Ever since being a child I have wanted to be a medical practitioner. I thought about pharmacy for the longest time but I finally decided that I want to be in the operating room and be an anesthesiologist. To me nothing is more intriguing than the ways drugs interact in the body. The problem is I have 53 credit hours and my gpa is a 2.57, I left Auburn University and started attending a nearby community college while I tried to get my head on straight. And so far I have been doing excellent since leaving Auburn and seeking help. But I don't know if it's too late for me. I'm 21 now, I don't know if there's some sort of fast track to become an MD or a DO I'm not sure if I should retake all my classes or what to do from here. As of right now I am retaking and continuing my education at the community college. I just don't know where to start picking up the pieces that my disorder left me.

Members don't see this ad.

I also don't have any volunteer hours, but I am a certified EMT basic and I will be getting my Pharmacy Tech license in the summer. I currently work 35 hours a week and goto school part time since I've just started picking up the pieces of my life last month

Congratulations on getting things figured out with your mental health.

Of course it's not too late -- but I would not recommend trying to put yourself on some sort of hyperspeed track to medical school. I would say to gradually load yourself up a bit more and see how that works. Get started volunteering, do some shadowing, and cut back on work. Retakes and a strong current record could certainly help a lot -- especially with DO. Of course the MCAT is also an important step to eventually start thinking about. Do you have a plan for finishing your bachelor's?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I never really declared a major. I left Auburn before I finished my sophomore year. I didn't have a plan for finishing my bachelor's. I was just going to clean up my gpa and finish the coursework for pre-med and work on the MCAT and get into Med school

I don't know what you mean by Fast Track to MD or DO but there is nothing fast about this process. You really have to take your time. A month of treatment doesn't seem like near enough time to be even considering med school. Why did you give up on the idea of Pharm school? While you are taking gen ed courses at CC find time to shadow some docs(MD and DO). Find a place to do some clinical volunteering - maybe get a job in a medical setting( with patients). Slowly build up your ECs and your GPAs. At some point you will have to transfer back to a 4 year school to complete your degree. But you have lots and lots of time. But the main focus now should be you and your return to stability and good health.

Reactions: 1 user
While schools may not technically require a bachelor's degree, you will not be accepted without one. Just take it one step at a time!

Reactions: 1 users
I gave up Pharm school because it wasn't for me. I didn't like the setting that it had me in. I guess I can ask to only have 25-30 hours of work per week and try to visit and shadow some doctors and dentists in my local area. I wouldn't say I am 100% back to better. I am just a lot better than I have been for a long time. I guess I should look into some majors to go along with the pre-med track

Are you considering dentistry too? Just take your time. I'm happy you are feeling better and are optimistic about the future. Don't bite off too much to tackle at this time. Read threads on here about what others have for ECs and then find activities that interest you and make you happy. Work on your GPAs and mostly work on yourself. If med school is in your future you'll find a way to get there.

Never really considered dentistry. I think I'll get my bachelors in nursing or exercise science since I'm working 35 hours a week.

OP, I know some people in my life who are affected with Bipolar disorder, and I must say I am blown away by your determination and am incredibly relieved that you have your disorder in perspective now, in my opinion it is one of the most amazing things I have witnessed.
As for your aspirations, I agree with everyone else posted. With people I know who have BPD, the biggest problem is biting off more than you can handle. Even if this would be a problem for anyone, people with BPD run the risk of burning out and experiencing severe depression, or experiencing a manic episode, both of which are detrimental to your health and psyche. Nothing is worth your mental or physical health OP. That being said, take it as slowly as you need to. It doesn't matter if it takes you 4 years or 8 years if this is what you want to do and you can maintain your emotional and psychopharmacological stability. Even if it just auditing a class or trying out a major, that is still a step in the right direction.

Not too late, but you will need to ace everything from now on. Suggest repeating all F/D/C science coursework as well.

Make sure that your therapist/psychiatrist is on board with a medical school path...med school is a crucible and I've seen it break healthy students.