Finally, the APhA is fighting for issues working pharmacists care about!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...s-association-lethal-injection_n_6973920.html

The American Pharmacists Association, a major professional organization of pharmacists, adopted a policy Monday discouraging its 62,000 members from providing drugs for executions.

On the final day of the group's annual meeting in San Diego, its governing body approved a policy declaring that participation in lethal injections violates the profession's core values:

The American Pharmacists Association discourages pharmacist participation in executions on the basis that such activities are fundamentally contrary to the role of pharmacists as providers of health care.

William Fassett, a board member and professor emeritus of pharmacotherapy at Washington State University Spokane, drafted the policy, which he said had virtually no opposition.

"Changing policy often takes two to three times through the process to bring everyone on board," Fassett told The Huffington Post. "I was optimistic -- cautiously so. But it was as close to a slam-dunk afterwards. Once we had a voice vote, it was clear that the majority of the delegates agreed with the policy."

Thomas E. Menighan, the association's executive vice president and CEO, said in a statement that the new policy aligns the group's execution policy with those of other major health care associations, including the American Medical Association, the American Nurses Association and the American Board of Anesthesiology.

“Pharmacists are health care providers and pharmacist participation in executions conflicts with the profession’s role on the patient health care team," Menighan said.

The new policy was spurred in part by the activist group SumOfUs.org, which describes itself as a watchdog organization and "a global movement of consumers, investors, and workers all around the world, standing together to hold corporations accountable."

"The question about whether pharmacists should be involved in executions is a very recent one," Kelsey Kauffman, a SumOfUs senior adviser, told The Huffington Post. "The AMA and nursers associations have had to deal with it for decades."

About a year ago, Kauffman said she read a report that mentioned pharmacists -- unlike doctors in America -- are not forbidden by their professional oaths or organizations from participating in executions.

"I thought, ‘They got that wrong, it can’t be true,’” Kauffman said. When she found out it was true, SumOfUs began partnering with Amnesty International, the NAACP, the National Council of Churches, Reprieve and other groups. They sent a letter co-signed by 31 human rights organizations and religious denominations, to the pharmacists' association, asking it to take a stand against pharmacists participating in executions.

“It’s never been legal in the U.S. to write a prescription to execute a person," Fassett noted. "The basic federal law is that a prescription is to be used for medical proposes in the context of an established patient-physician relationship."

Departments of corrections in states that allow the death penalty had traditionally obtained lethal injection chemicals from pharmaceutical companies. Since 1985, the pharmacists' association has opposed using the term "drug" for chemicals used in lethal injections.)

Around 2011, supply of lethal injection drugs was disrupted due to bans and boycotts that led to drugmakers ceasing production. In the past year, prisons in Oklahoma and Texas, among other states, have run short of stockpiled drugs, forcing them to turn to individual pharmacists and compounding pharmacies to mix chemicals for lethal injections.

"Before that, it was like saying, 'Should we have a policy about pharmacists flying airplanes without a license?’ It wasn’t an issue for us," Fassett said. Participation in lethal injections "wasn’t really on our radar until a few years ago”

Though the new policy formalizes the association's ethical position on lethal injections, Fassett said the group lacks the power of enforcement.

“We’re not trying to get pharmacists de-licensed," Fassett said. "We just want it clear to pharmacists in that state that they can’t" participate in executions.

Fassett said he's unsure how the policy will factor into the lethal injection debate. “Every major organization of health care providers who could potentially be asked by the state to join their execution team now have a uniform goal against this," he said.

“When you’re out by the ocean and the tide finally starts to come in, you think, 'Which of all those waves is the most important? The first wave that breaks? The last wave to roll in?' I'm glad we added our little wave to the tide," Fassett said.

Members don't see this ad.

Such a waste of time, but expected from a blowhard organization like the APhA.

They act like the executioner comes to CVS with a prescription for 100mg IV Dilaudid and 50mg IV Versed for the (dead man walking) patient and the poor pharmacist has to make an agonizing decision whether or not to fill the lethal cocktail.

The only pharmacists who are going to choose whether to fill these prescriptions or not will be the owners of independent compounding pharmacies, which I'm sure is <0.01% of all pharmacists.

Reactions: 1 users
for a moment i thought the APhA was about to raise the issue of slavery at CVS, or medication errors killing more ppl than car accidents.. aren't those more extremes? we are drug experts, as in what? killing ppl?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
that is why we should just go back to the firing squad - I guarantee you the makers of bullets and the NRA will have no issue lining up their members to do teh job. Plus - if you get enough members of the firing squad, there is no way to mess it up.

that is why we should just go back to the firing squad - I guarantee you the makers of bullets and the NRA will have no issue lining up their members to do teh job. Plus - if you get enough members of the firing squad, there is no way to mess it up.
Yeah, the last few lethal injections really haven't gone too well. You have to improvise when the drug manufacturer says "we won't sell you our drug because you're using it to kill people." Imagine that, big pharma has a conscience.

I was expecting a thread announcing a new pharmacy school.

I was hoping that this thread would be about pharmacy schools being closed, or that there would be an actual viable way for pharmacists to be reimbursed.

Way to get my hopes up, BMB.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, the last few lethal injections really haven't gone too well. You have to improvise when the drug manufacturer says "we won't sell you our drug because you're using it to kill people." Imagine that, big pharma has a conscience.
I was just talking to one of our intensivist's about this, how do you make an execution go wrong? I guarantee you if you turn the propofol up to 500 and give them 100mg of vecuronium, the patient will likely not appear to suffer (I know appearing to suffer and actual suffering are two different things)

I was hoping that this thread would be about pharmacy schools being closed, or that there would be an actual viable way for pharmacists to be reimbursed.

Way to get my hopes up, BMB.
We all knew that wasn't going to happen. I knew the second I saw it that it was sarcasm, but the direction it took wasn't as bad as I'd hoped.

Ironic that I would have voted no on that policy.

Dang... Walmart sells guns and ammo AND prescription drugs. They could win either way!

Dam what a misleading thread. I thought APHA was gonna fight the big chains from cutting hours and making crazy metrics

Reactions: 1 user
Is it really that hard to get the drugs to kill people? If so, I'll open a mail order pharmacy that only sells those 3 drugs and charge $100K for the combo. Free shipping included.

WHO THE F*CK CARES.

How about the APhA work with ACPE and start to limit the amount of schools for pharmacy?

How about the APhA work to prevent $0 dispensing fees paid to a pharmacy or pharmacist?

How about the APhA work to prevent insurance companies from forcing patients to use in-network pharmacies including forced mail order and specialty pharmacies?

I''ll never see any of these changes in my life time. I'll die an old man before any pharmacy organization does anything worthwhile for the current state of pharmacy.

AND FYI, MOST OF THE PEOPLE ON DEATH ROW DESERVE TO DIE. Someone has to provide them medications to die.

WHO THE F*CK CARES.

That is the entire point of BMB post. APHA is making a big deal about something which 99.9% of pharmacist will never be faced with, while ignoring real issues that affect 99.9% of pharmacists.

AND FYI, MOST OF THE PEOPLE ON DEATH ROW DESERVE TO DIE. Someone has to provide them medications to die.

No they don't, there are other alternatives (firing squad for one, but there are a myriad of other ways to execute people besides drugs.) Although, my opinion, is the same as it is with the other ethical issues in pharmacy--it should totally be up to the pharmacist if they do or don't want to do it (unless their employer says otherwise.)

WHO THE F*CK CARES.

How about the APhA work with ACPE and start to limit the amount of schools for pharmacy?

How about the APhA work to prevent $0 dispensing fees paid to a pharmacy or pharmacist?

How about the APhA work to prevent insurance companies from forcing patients to use in-network pharmacies including forced mail order and specialty pharmacies?

I''ll never see any of these changes in my life time. I'll die an old man before any pharmacy organization does anything worthwhile for the current state of pharmacy.

Because the new president is a facility member at one of the brand new schools of pharmacy and he lurks these boards.

I was thinking mandated lunch breaks. Although addressing CVS slavery would be a close second considering it's one the most common thread topics on this forum.

Ironically I too would have voted no to this policy. People are on death row to die... not to receive excellent patient care as the health care provider pharmacist works with an integrated healthcare team of doctors and nurses striving towards positive patient outcomes... or whatever line of bs they are feeding people.

Next it will be MTM. MTM is bad... it's just more money for the chains and more metrics for the pharmacists. If anything the APhA is making things worse.

Last edited: