Finance, family, med school

yoonjmp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone on SDN.
I am new here so please bear with me and if this thread is in the wrong place, I apologize.
Currently I am not in school (college) mainly due to the fact that my wife gave birth 5 months ago. I was just wondering if its possible and how should I go about getting into medical school. I work 53 hours a week while my wife stays home with our daughter. I already have some loans that I am paying off after dropping out last year. I really want to pursue a career I'm medicine as a doctor but at theomentni can't find a way to pay for school and make ends meet at home with my family and financially. Any advice or ideas would be very helpful. Thank you

*i should've mentioned before, I am 21 years old and make 12/ hour if this info helps at all.*

Members don't see this ad.

This is a tough situation no doubt but many have made it work... the way out... student loans... you're going to have to start taking classes at a local college to A) get you BA/BS and B) Fullfill the pre-reqs for medical school and you're going to have to borrow money to do it. Hopefully at some point your wife can start working again to help take some of the financial burden off of you and you can dedicate more time to your studies (although with the cost of childcare it is likely that her working would be "break even" a best, unless you have family in the area that can care for your little critter for free). You at the very least need to finish your bachelors to have a real shot in this world, if you end up matriculating to med school that is even better.

Survivor DO

Thank you for your reply. I am currently paying off my previous student loans. Should I stop paying that and go back to school ASAP? I was thinking of going to a community college for the general classes and then transferring to a university and take the sciences there. Is this a bad idea?

Thank you for your reply. I am currently paying off my previous student loans. Should I stop paying that and go back to school ASAP? I was thinking of going to a community college for the general classes and then transferring to a university and take the sciences there. Is this a bad idea?

I would stop paying them off and get back into school. You are not getting any younger. I did the CC route for med school after getting my degree to save money. I found it was well worth it because it was must cheaper. I was even able to pay for it and not take out loans.

DO Surv is correct. Eventually, you will need her to take some pressure off of you or family.

It will be a hard road but you can do it if you have the will. Just stay focused.