Finance major pursuing MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westsidestoryz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, first post here!

Background story:
I am a finance major at CSULB and I am finishing up my last semester here. I have a 3.4 GPA (I know, it's low) and I am currently volunteering at a hospital. I was going to pursue on becoming Physical therapist but I've decided to go to medical school.
I am going to start taking my Pre-req classes this summer at CSULB and at a junior college (It's been so long since I last took a science class so will be busting my butt). I am going to continue volunteering at the hospital and request to shadow a physician for my rec letter.

Questions:
1. Would the pre req classes at a junior college be looked down upon since it is a bit easier than other universities? And since I'm coming out from CSULB, would that put me in a disadvantage compared to others that come out from UCs?
2. What extracurricular activities would be good for me to try other than Volunteering?
3. Since my GPA is low, could that be of any concern since I am also a finance major? (finance classes are easy compared to science classes. I regret being so lazy...)
4. I also got a C in calculus 1 and 2. Do you recommend retaking it to boost my GPA somehow?
5. I know I will be having an enmorous uphill battle, so I will be trying to get a 4.0 in my science classes and a high MCAT score to compensate for my other weaker areas (maybe they will overlook my weak Finance GPA...). So any other advice regarding my route to becoming a doctor?
6. Any other informations or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

"Would the pre req classes at a junior college be looked down upon since it is a bit easier than other universities? And since I'm coming out from CSULB, would that put me in a disadvantage compared to others that come out from UCs?"
Why can't you take your pre-med classes at CSULB? That will be the first question that comes to an ADCOM's mind. It's find to take classes at a CC when you can't take them at a 4-year, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
"What extracurricular activities would be good for me to try other than Volunteering?"
Other than clinical exposure and volunteering, do what interests you. ADCOMs can smell cookie cutter ECs from a mile away. Do some shadowing, find out if the reality of being a physician really matches whatever you have in your head.
"Since my GPA is low, could that be of any concern since I am also a finance major? (finance classes are easy compared to science classes. I regret being so lazy...)"
Your major is irrelevant. Do whatever you can to get your GPA up, and stay receptive to DO if you can't.
"I also got a C in calculus 1 and 2. Do you recommend retaking it to boost my GPA somehow?"
Only if you plan on going the DO route. MD schools don't replace grades.
"I know I will be having an enmorous uphill battle, so I will be trying to get a 4.0 in my science classes and a high MCAT score to compensate for my other weaker areas (maybe they will overlook my weak Finance GPA...). So any other advice regarding my route to becoming a doctor?"
Nope. Keep in mind that everyone tries to do this, few do. Some of these classes are going to be more difficult than anything you've ever taken before.
"Any other informations or advice would be greatly appreciated!"
Lurk on the forums here, gather as much information as you can.

"Would the pre req classes at a junior college be looked down upon since it is a bit easier than other universities? And since I'm coming out from CSULB, would that put me in a disadvantage compared to others that come out from UCs?"
Why can't you take your pre-med classes at CSULB? That will be the first question that comes to an ADCOM's mind. It's find to take classes at a CC when you can't take them at a 4-year, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
"What extracurricular activities would be good for me to try other than Volunteering?"
Other than clinical exposure and volunteering, do what interests you. ADCOMs can smell cookie cutter ECs from a mile away. Do some shadowing, find out if the reality of being a physician really matches whatever you have in your head.
"Since my GPA is low, could that be of any concern since I am also a finance major? (finance classes are easy compared to science classes. I regret being so lazy...)"
Your major is irrelevant. Do whatever you can to get your GPA up, and stay receptive to DO if you can't.
"I also got a C in calculus 1 and 2. Do you recommend retaking it to boost my GPA somehow?"
Only if you plan on going the DO route. MD schools don't replace grades.
"I know I will be having an enmorous uphill battle, so I will be trying to get a 4.0 in my science classes and a high MCAT score to compensate for my other weaker areas (maybe they will overlook my weak Finance GPA...). So any other advice regarding my route to becoming a doctor?"
Nope. Keep in mind that everyone tries to do this, few do. Some of these classes are going to be more difficult than anything you've ever taken before.
"Any other informations or advice would be greatly appreciated!"
Lurk on the forums here, gather as much information as you can.

thanks for the reply! I've decided to take my classes at CSULB. And I am also going to try to shadow a Physician at a private clinic because I've heard it will be hard to shadow a doctor in a hospital setting.
But for now, I will focus on maintaining a high GPA and try to get into a research program through my school.